• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Power of the Elements (PG-13)

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Power of the Elements

Rated PG-13 for coarse language, violence and possible adult themes.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, back with a new fic. It's called Power of the Elements (yay for generic titles) and it follows Izzy, Matt and Hannah on their journey across Sinnoh. But don't worry, the generic title doesn't mean generic fic! So get a warm drink, snuggle up and enjoy...

PM LIST
Torpoleon

Chapter 1 - what in Kyogre's name is a Rawst Berry?

Hannah didn’t really want to move. But here she was, stuck in a moving van listening to her dad sing old country and western songs. Where was “Sinnoh” anyway? All she knew was that it was an island. An island that was cold. Freezing cold. Back home, she was used to shorts and T-shirts almost year round. But no, not in Sinnoh.

“Dad, where the hell are we? It’s about minus twenty five degrees!” Hannah moaned, tightening the knot in her overly-long orange scarf.

“We’re on our way to Jubilife City, according to this map,” her father, Daniel, said, “and after that it’s Sandgem Town then our new home of Twinleaf Town, where my new job is!”

“Oh dad, that’s unbelievably cliché. Move from the big city to a small town in some distant place that no-one’s ever heard of.”

“I’m quite sure plenty of people have heard of Sinnoh, dear.”

“Meh.”

“Well here’s Jubilife! Wow, it’s huge!”

“Whoop-de-do,” Hannah said sarcastically.

She closed her eyes and went to sleep for the rest of the journey.

Hannah woke up with a jolt, from her father shaking her. She guessed they were in Twinleaf Town. Grabbing her small pink bag off the floor, she jumped out of the moving van and gasped. This town was atrocious. It was row after row of small two storey houses, with pale wood panelling and green roofs.

“Daaaaaaad!” Hannah moaned, “this place is awful!”

“Oh Hannah, behave! I’m sure you’ll like it eventually. The moving company will be here soon so let’s get all our stuff out the van and inside our new home!” Daniel said, too excitedly.

Opening the back of the van, Hannah grabbed her neon pink suitcase and wheeled it into the house. The inside was quite cosy, with a pale cream rug across the dark wood floor. A creamy coffee coloured couch was in front of a, as Hannah would say, whacking big television. Hannah found the stairs and awkwardly pulled her case upstairs.

“DAD! WHICH ROOM IS MINE?” she shouted.

“THE ONE ON THE RIGHT!” her father responded.

Hannah hurriedly ran into her new living quarters and was shocked. It was actually nice!

“After a few personal changes, it’ll be quite alright to be honest,” she mumbled to herself. She had a habit of talking to herself.

Excited to show her two best friends their new room, she grabbed two red and white spheres off her belt. She pressed the button in the middle of each one and they expanded to the size of a tennis ball.

“Albert, Mimi, come on out!”

She threw the spheres into the air and they sprung open, red energy pouring out the centre. The balls fell back into her hands and she clipped them back on her belt as the red energy materialised into her two Pokémon. One was orange, with small yellow wings and a small beak. The other was tiny, pink and worm-like with a pale yellow spike on its head.

The orange bird-like creature jumped into Hannah’s arms. Hannah tickled the yellow feathers on his head.

“My Torchic and Wurmple, what would I do without you?”

<Moan about life. Got any food in this house?> the small worm, Mimi, asked greedily, her black pupils shimmering.

“More than likely! Head downstairs, ask dad,” Hannah suggested.

The Wurmple slithered out of the room and awkwardly moved down the stairs, hoping for a snack at the end of the journey. Albert jumped out of Hannah’s arms and onto the pale green bed. He sniffed it unappreciatively.

<What happened to pretty in pink, huh?> Albert asked.

“I’m positive I brought some sheets in my case. If I’ve not, then we’re sleeping on the floor!” Hannah said, taking her large hat off. It was black, with a huge pink bow on the side.

Hannah went over to the mirror than hung on her pale yellow walls. She grabbed a hairbrush out of her bag and pulled it through her blonde hair, untangling knots that came with sleeping in a van. Hannah shivered – even with her jacket on the house was freezing. She lay down on her bed and rubbed her hands together. Albert jumped onto her lap and snuggled up to her, his internal flame warming Hannah.

<So what d’you think of the new place?> the chick Pokémon asked her trainer.

“I’ve seen better, but you know...we’ll make it work!”

<Seen better? Like what?>

“Like our home.”

<Oh right yeah, I forgot!>

Hannah giggled, “Al, you’re sooo dozy!”

She loved her Pokémon, they were her best friends. They were gifts for her tenth birthday, and the bond between the three was strong and tight. Because of this, Albert and Mimi let Hannah understand what they said. This particular phenomenon was one of the biggest mysteries in the Pokémon world – baffling scientists all over.

<BUT I WANT FOOD!> Mimi roared from downstairs.

“For a Wurmple, she sure has a big pair of lungs,” Hannah muttered.

Albert hopped on Hannah’s shoulder and she raced down the stairs. Hannah could see out the window that the moving van had left. There were boxes and suitcases strewn everywhere, surrounding a very stressed looking Daniel.

“Mimi, we’ve not got any food yet! Hannah, will you head to the Pokémart in town? It’s not far off I don’t think, I’m sure you’ll find it eventually. Pick up some bread, milk and whatever else you fancy. And take Mimi with you.”

“Money?” Hannah asked.

Daniel shoved his hand into his trouser pocket and fished out a few crumpled bills. He handed them to Hannah, who coughed. Daniel rolled his eyes and gave his daughter a few extra notes.

“That’s better,” Hannah said, winking at her dad.

She ran back upstairs to grab her hat, and then went outside. The air was crisp and fresh, but the cold was undesirable.

“Okay guys, off to the Pokémart!”

“Izzy, have you got everything yet?”

“Urm, yeah I think so.”

A grin spread across the black-haired boy’s face. He hated going shopping with Izzy – she took forever.

“Matt, hold these,” Izzy said, shoving a few bags of sweets into the boy’s hands. “To the checkout!”

Matt rolled his chocolate brown eyes, but followed his friend to the checkout. The friendly woman at the till knew the two well.

“Hello Isabella, hello Matthew!” she said happily.

“Hey Anna,” Izzy mumbled, shoving the bags of sweets, chocolates and crisps onto the till.

Matt dumped the extra bags, and waited for Anna to check them all through.

“Izzy, you’re fifteen. You eat like a ten year old.”

She laughed. “So what? I like me some Pika-Chews!”

Matt chuckled and shook his head. Anna put the last packet into a plastic bag.

“That’ll be 2500 PokéDollars, please!” Anna said.

Izzy grabbed some bills from her bag and handed them to Anna. She grabbed the plastic bag and ran out of the Pokémart. As she opened the door, she ran into a small, blonde girl and they collapsed onto the floor.

“Oh, I’m sorry!” Izzy said, fixing her brown ponytail as she got back up off the floor.

“My bad!” said Hannah, taking Matt’s hand to help her up.

“Hey, are you new here?” asked Matt inquisitively, not recognising the girl.

“Yeah...me and my dad just moved here.”

The Torchic and Wurmple on her shoulders cried out.

“Me, my dad, and Albert and Mimi!” Hannah said, giggling.

“Well it’s nice to meet you! See you ‘round!” Izzy said hurriedly, grabbing Matt’s hand and leading him out of the Pokémart.

“She seemed nice,” she said when they were outside.

Izzy and Matt shivered in the cold Sinnoh air. Izzy put her long, purple scarf around her neck and Matt put his shorter, yellow one around his.

“It’s so cold!” Matt complained.

Izzy pulled the zip of her buttercup jacket right to the top. The pair walked back to their houses, which were next door to each other. They waved goodnight and made it back home just as night began to fall.

“Hey mom, I’m home!” Izzy shouted when she opened the front door.

A glamourous woman with wavy black hair greeted Izzy. She took the bag of junk food off her daughter and shoved them in a cupboard in the kitchen. Her dangly red earrings rattled as she walked. Izzy threw herself on the cream sofa and turned some old cartoons on the flat screen TV. She loved her living room. The pale yellow walls and the mahogany wood floor made her feel safe and at home. Diane, her mother, sat next to her, being careful to not crease her sleek red dress.

“There’s some new girl in town mom! She said she moved here with her dad, I wonder where she lives.”

“Well I saw a moving van pass by before! I think they’re only down the road.”

“We’ll have to go say hello at some point,” Izzy said, yawning.

“Oh, Professor Taylor came over earlier today. He wants you to head to his lab at about eleven-ish tomorrow morning, he said he has something to give you,” Diane said.

“Ooo! A surprise!” Izzy shrieked, thinking of some lavish gifts she’d like to receive, “Right mom, I’m off to bed! See you in the morning!”

She kissed her mother and the cheek and ran upstairs to her sanctuary. The whole room was decked out in purple. She undressed and pulled on a yellow vest and purple shorts, before climbing into bed and falling asleep.

The next morning Izzy woke up to the sound of her mother shouting.

“YOU’RE GOING TO BE LATE!” Diane screamed up to her daughter.

Izzy groggily looked at the digital clock on her bedside table.

10:53AM

“CRAP!”

Izzy jumped out of bed, suddenly feeling energy flowing through her veins. She found her favourite black skinny jeans and hurriedly put them on. Grabbing her yellow jacket, she skipped downstairs. Her mother handed her a cereal bar, which she ate ravenously. She took her purple scarf and matching gloves off the rack near the door. Knowing she was already late she laced up her dark blue Converse and ran out the door, but not before putting her bright red bag over her shoulder. Finding speed she didn’t know she had, she raced to the laboratory that was in the centre of town. The laboratory was state of the art. It had shiny white walls, which when compared to the rest of the town was really striking. Izzy burst through the blue-tinted doors, shocking the people inside.

“I’M HERE! DON’T WORRY!” Izzy shouted at the top of her voice.

The people in the laboratory turned from whatever they were doing and stared at Izzy. Matt and the girl they met the day before, Hannah, laughed.

“She’s late again, what a surprise,” Matt said sarcastically.

“Go die Taylor,” Izzy retorted.

“You know you love me, Miss Parker.”

“Obv-course.”

Hannah whispered to the tall brown-haired professor next to her, “Are they always like this?”

“More often than not,” he replied.

Izzy and Matt continued to snap at each other, before the professor stopped them.

“Matt, shut it. Izzy, don’t annoy him,” he said.

They nodded apprehensively.

“So dad, what’s the big surprise?” asked Matt.

“I know how much you two want to be trainers,” he said, pointing at his son and Izzy, “and your father’s been telling me how much you’d like to travel with your partners.”

Hannah flushed a bright scarlet when Professor Taylor pointed at her. She hated being the centre of attention. Daniel stood up from one of the laboratory’s computers and walked next to the professor.

“So Martin here came up with an excellent solution for you lot!” he said happily.

“And that would be...?” asked Matt.

“You and Izzy get starter Pokémon from me, and you can travel with Hannah across our beautiful Sinnoh region!” suggested Martin.

All three of the teenagers grinned and looked at each other eagerly. Izzy even squealed.

Yes! thought Hannah, I can get out of this crappy town and travel this Sinnoh region!

“So Hannah, you obviously have your two Pokémon,” he said, referring to the Torchic and Wurmple on her shoulders, “so let’s get you two sorted.”

He walked over to a metal cabinet behind him and opened the doors. He pulled three red and white Poké Balls out and carried them to a small table.

“I’m sure you’re both aware of the Sinnoh starter Pokémon, but here’s a refresher.”

He threw the three balls into the air and they snapped open, revealing the Pokémon inside. They were all small, but all completely different looks wise. One was a green turtle-like Pokémon, with a brown shell-like back. There was an orange chimp with big ears and a crackling flame instead of a tail. The last one was a Pokémon that looked like a blue baby penguin, with a dark blue cape and a big yellow beak.

“They are unbelievably cute!” shrieked Izzy.

“They all look like they could be huge powerhouses someday!” Matt said thoughtfully.

“So who do you want? Turtwig, the Tiny Leaf Pokémon? Chimchar, the Chimp Pokémon or Piplup the Penguin Pokémon?” asked the professor.

“I want Piplup, dad!” Matt said excitedly.

“Erm, ooo, er, this is hard,” Izzy said, scratching her head while contemplating the pros and cons of each starter, “I think I’ll go with that adorable Turtwig!”

“Thank Arceus, I thought we were gonna be here all day!” said Matt, laughing.

Izzy pulled her tongue out at Matt, before grabbing the Turtwig. The thin branch on its head twitched, making the small green leaves shake. It looked up at Izzy with bright yellow and black eyes. Matt’s new Piplup meanwhile jumped onto the floor, sniffed its new trainer’s shoes and jeans before jumping onto his head.

“Right so now that you’ve all got Pokémon, time to get you your Pokédexes!” Martin exclaimed, walking over to another cabinet and taking out three brightly coloured and thin devices.

“Professor, what’s a Pokédex?” asked Hannah.

“A Pokédex is a very high-tech device that can give you information on any and every Pokémon in the world! Simply point it at a Pokémon and it gives you all you need to know!” he said, demonstrating by pointing it at the Chimchar left on the desk.

The Pokédex spoke with a digitalized female voice, “Chimchar, the Chimp Pokémon. It is very agile and puts its flame out to sleep. The flame burns weakly when it is sick.”

“Cool, huh? So, I have red, purple and pink. Take your pick!” Martin said, laying the Pokédexes on the desk that Chimchar was on.

Matt immediately took the red one, leaving the purple one to Izzy and the pink to Hannah. They were all very happy with the colours they received.

“And lastly, Poké Balls and Potions! Carla, bring them in please!” he shouted to the back of his laboratory.

A blonde-haired woman walked up to the wannabe trainers, pushing a metal trolley with lots of Poké Balls and blue bottles on it. She smiled at everyone before rushing back to whatever work she was doing.

“Five Poké Balls for you two,” the professor said, handing Izzy and Matt five of the small red and white spheres, “and four for you.”

All three of the trainers clipped the balls to their belts.

“Now you all have bags, I presume?”

Matt, Izzy and Hannah all nodded.

“Good, put these in them,” Martin said, handing each trainer two small blue bottles, “They’re potions. Spray them on your Pokémon if they get hurt and watch them get better instantly – but only to a certain extent. You can buy better variations but they’re much more expensive, and of course the best remedy is just to get to a Pokémon Center. Right, we’re done! Now you three can head off whenever you want, but make sure you say goodbye to all your parents first.”

“Right guys, we’ll meet up at the exit of town around two-ish? That gives us enough time to get to the next town before nightfall,” Matt suggested.

“Yes, sir!” Izzy said playfully, saluting Matt.

After saying goodbye to all their families, and promising to call every day in Izzy’s case, the three met up where they planned. They had each packed with all the supplies they’d need. The day was cold and bitter. Matt zipped up his black jacket and shivered.

“I wish this had been planned for June rather than September,” moaned Izzy.

“I hate the cold too!” agreed Hannah.

“Are we all ready? Dad said we have to register for our trainer licenses at the Pokémon Center in Sandgem Town before we can do anything else,” Matt told the girls.

“Awesome! Then we can head to Jubilife City and beyond!” Izzy said giggling.

The gang left the town’s outskirts and proceeded onto Route 201. Izzy and Matt pointed out the way to the local lake, Lake Verity, to Hannah, but turned the opposite way to Sandgem Town. The Piplup and Turtwig they had received a few hours ago were already making friends with their trainers. Turtwig was being carried in Izzy’s arms, playfully biting her fingers. Piplup was on Matt’s back, occasionally slipping and strangling her trainer. As they walked, they began to ask questions to Hannah.

“So Hannah, where d’you come from?” asked Izzy.

“Lilycove City in Hoenn, it’s so nice and warm. Unlike this craphole of a place,” Hannah responded a bit angrily.

“Woah woah woah! Sinnoh’s awesome! Just because it’s cold doesn’t mean it’s bad,” Matt said defensively.

“Well yeah,” Hannah agreed, “but I love the sun!”

Hannah frowned slightly, thinking of past memories she’d shared back home. She missed the warm sands of Lilycove Beach, and the sound of the crystal blue waves lapping against the surface.

“So how come your dad’s my dad’s new assistant?” Matt asked Hannah.

“Well back in Hoenn my dad used to research a lot of stuff about Pokémon, he even helped out at the local Pokémon Center sometimes.”

“Wow, that’s pretty cool.”

“Matty! We need to get the new issue of Sinnoh Now! in Sandgem Town, ‘cause I want to know where the next contest is so that I can win a ribbon!” Izzy told Matt.

“You’re a co-ordinator, Izzy?” asked Hannah.

“Yeah! I really want to, they sound so much fun! What are you gonna participate in?”

“Well back home I often played Pokéathlon with my friends, so I think I’m gonna try them!”

Matt piped in at this point, “Well I’m gonna battle in the Pokémon Gyms! Dad told me the first gym most new trainers battle in is Oreburgh City, so we’ll head there first.”

“Was that a trainer I just heard?” asked a squeaky, nasally voice.

A fiery-haired girl was walking towards the group from the direction they were heading. She was taller than Izzy but shorter than Matt. Her arms were folded across her chest, and her face was plastered into a smirk.

“Yeah, hi?” Matt said tentatively.

The girl held her hand out to Matt, who shook it.

“I’m Brooke. I’m a trainer like you,” she said as she rifled through her big yellow bag.

Out of her bag came a thin pink case, with a Poké Ball decoration on it. Brooke pressed the button in the centre of the case and it opened, the lid splitting in half and folding behind the case.

“Wow!” Matt exclaimed, “You already have the Oreburgh badge!”

Inside the case was a small brown badge. It shimmered brightly in the light. Brooke snapped the case shut and put it back in her bag.

“Yes I do, and I assume you’re going to challenge the Oreburgh gym. Ha! I challenge you to a battle, right here, right now. You game?”

Matt nodded.

“You girl,” Brooke said, pointing to Izzy, “you will be the referee for our battle.”

“Will I? Great,” she responded.

Matt and Brooke found a plain patch of grass where they could battle. They each took a few paces away from each other. Izzy stood by the side, with her arms open wide. Hannah sat on the ground with hers and Izzy’s Pokémon.

“Oh this is so exciting, isn’t it guys?” Hannah said to the Pokémon.

“Twig, twig!” responded Izzy’s starter.

Izzy began the battle, “This Pokémon battle between Matt and Brooke is about to begin. Each trainer will use one Pokémon, and the battle will end when one Pokémon is unable to battle. Begin!”

“Piplup, this is your time to shine, get on the battlefield!” Matt said excitedly.

The blue Pokémon jumped off Matt’s head and onto the ground, chirping with enthusiasm.

Brooke cupped a Poké Ball in her orange-gloved hand. She threw it into the air and a red Pokémon jumped out. It puffed its yellow chest out and spat a few yellow flames out of its mouth.

Hannah grabbed her Pokédex out of her bag and pointed it at the Pokémon.

“Magby, the Live Coal Pokémon. Its body temperature is around 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit. It is often found in volcanic craters.”

“Magby, let’s start this battle off right with an Ember attack!”

The Pokémon jumped into the air and shot bright orange flames out of his mouth. They pierced their way through the air, getting closer to Piplup with every second.

“Oh crap! What attacks can Piplup use? I can’t even remember! Pound, Peck, Bubble...PIPLUP, use Bubble now!”

Piplup opened her beak and shot dozens of bubbles towards the fiery embers. The two attacks collided as the two Pokémon continued to shoot the embers and bubbles. But soon enough Magby’s attack proved stronger and the flames bombarded Piplup, who collapsed onto the floor.

“Pathetic,” Brooke sneered.

“Piplup, get up girl!” pleaded Matt.

The penguin Pokémon covered her eyes with her flipper, and cried out.

“Pip, Piplup. Pip pip pip!”

“Oh come on, stop being such a drama queen and get up!” Matt commanded.

Piplup begrudgingly got up and dusted herself down. She ran straight at her opponent with her flipper raised in the air. It began to glow white, and Piplup hit Magby over his lumpy head. In a fit of anger, she jumped into the air as her beak glowed the same white as her flipper just had. It extended ever so slightly as she spun in the air, before diving straight down to the ground. Magby used his intuition and coolly stepped to the left, dodging Piplup’s peck. The water-type’s beak got stuck into the ground as Brooke and Magby cackled together.

“Piplup, stop doing attacks I’ve not told you to!” Matt roared.

“Magby dear, use a Fire Punch on that pathetic Pokémon!” ordered Brooke nastily.

“Izzy, that’s not fair, is it? Piplup can’t move!” Hannah asked.

Izzy shook her head, “No, it is fair. It’s a Pokémon battle, so it’s all about learning to use your Pokémon’s abilities and the surroundings together. Brooke’s completely in order here.”

Hannah put Albert on her knee and hugged him tightly, warming herself up in the bitter air.

Magby smirked slightly, before charging at Piplup. She was still struggling to pull her beak out of the ground, and was getting no further to success. The Live Coal Pokémon raised his right fist in the air, enveloping it in burning red flames.

“Piplup, get up!” Matt pleaded.

Piplup tried again to pull her beak out. It ripped out of the ground and sent her toppling over. The Magby slammed his fist into his opponent’s head, resulting in cries of pain from the poor penguin Pokémon.

“Jackpot,” Brooke said, a smile creeping onto her face.

Matt sighed, devastated that he’d lost his very first Pokémon battle.

“Piplup is unable to battle; Brooke and Magby are the wi-WHAT IS THAT?” Izzy shouted.

All four trainers stared at Piplup, who had stood back up. Her flippers were clenched into tight fists over her chest, as a white light surrounded her whole body.

“What, how the heck is it still standing? Magby, use Ember!”

The burning hot flames bombarded Piplup yet again. But still she stood; seemingly not even realising she was being attacked.

“Piplup, use Bubble!” ordered Matt.

“Magby, Smog!”

Piplup completely ignored Matt’s command as her foe shot purple gas out of his mouth. The gas penetrated the air, before surrounding Piplup. Yet again she ignored the attack.

“Fire Punch!” Brooke said, and her voice cracked.

Magby attacked Piplup with his fiery fist, but still she kept standing. Then, Piplup’s entire body began to glow white. Her body shook with the strain from trying to keep doing whatever it was she was doing.

“PIPLUP, stop, you’re going to hurt yourself!” Matt screamed.

“Hold on,” Brooke seemed alarmed, “I think it’s evolving!”

“Evolving?” Matt said questioningly, “How can she be evolving? I only got her today!”

Piplup’s body continued to shimmer all over, but suddenly she shrieked. The shriek was so piercing, nearby Pokémon flew out of the trees for fear of being attacked. The white light shot straight into the sky, disappearing from Piplup’s body until there was nothing left. Piplup stood proudly.

“What the hell was that?” asked Brooke.

“I don’t have a clue,” said Piplup’s trainer, in awe.

Brooke began to order her Pokémon to attack again, but before she could white light pierced through the sky and dropped onto Magby. The fire-type screamed in pain, before collapsing to the floor.

“Hey, I think that was Bide!” Matt suggested.

Hannah took out her Pokédex, pressed the ‘Moves’ button and pointed it at Piplup.

“This Pokémon can use the moves Bubble, Pound, Peck and Bide.”

Matt laughed, “It was Bide! Nice work Piplup!”

“Magby, get up right now or else!”

Brooke’s Pokémon got himself up, wobbling as he stood.

“Ember!”

“Bubble!”

The two Pokémon attacked, creating a beautiful display of fire and water. Neither Pokémon was letting up, the onslaught of attacks seemed endless. But then Magby’s small flames grew into what seemed like an endless wall of fire. The new attack destroyed the small bubbles and blasted Piplup, who fell to the ground with a thud.

“Piplup is unable to battle!” Izzy said sadly, “Brooke and Magby are the winners, blah blah blah.”

“You did well Piplup,” Matt said as he picked his Pokémon up, cradling her in his arms.

“Good battle, but you’re pathetically weak. You’ll have no chance at the Oreburgh Gym if you keep battling like that,” Brooke said as she recalled Magby into his Poké Ball and dug through her bag, “but you did OK for a first timer. Take this Rawst Berry, your Pokémon looks like it needs it.”

“What in Kyogre’s name is a Rawst Berry?” Hannah wondered.

Brooke handed the small, blue berry to Matt. She then turned and headed towards Lake Verity.

“What a big fat bitch she was,” muttered Izzy.

Matt put Piplup on the ground. She was writhing in pain, stemming from a dark red mark on her forehead.

“Oh dear,” said Hannah, “I think she’s burned.”

Matt broke the berry in half, doing what his father had always told him to do if a Pokémon was burned. He fed one half to Piplup, who munched on it half-heartedly. He then squeezed the juice out of the second half onto the burn. It quickly faded, turning pink then back into dark blue. Piplup opened her eyes, frowning at Matt.

“Don’t worry my little drama queen, it’s okay. We’ll beat her next time!” Matt said soothingly.

Hannah recalled her Pokémon into their Poké Balls. Izzy picked up her Turtwig, who immediately began to nibble on her fingers. The group began to walk onwards to Sandgem Town.

“Matt, are you okay? You seem a bit down-hearted.” Izzy said.

“Nah, I’m fine. Just a bit upset I lost my first battle, you know? But my little thespian here’s doing fine, aren’t you?” Matt said, tickling Piplup’s tummy as she wriggled in his arms.

“Hey! I’ve got an idea for a nickname for your Piplup. You could call her Thessie, because she’s so dramatic when it comes to battling,” suggested Hannah.

Matt grinned, “Hey, that’s not a bad idea! What do you think of Thessie?”

“Pip, piplup!” the Pokémon chirped.

“Glad you like it!”

“Hey guys, this sign says Sandgem Town is just ahead!” Hannah said, pointing to the sign, then the houses she could see up ahead.

“Last one there’s a rotten Exeggcute!” challenged Izzy, as she ran away from the group.

The other two looked at each other, before speeding off to Sandgem Town.

El fin

Hope you enjoyed the chapter! Please leave a review, and if you want to be on the PM list, go ahead and tell me!

Last edited:

Torpoleon

How come you reposted it, but with a different title?

Anyways, it is actually pretty good. I guess Hannah, Izzy & Matt will be traveling together? It's cool how Hannah has Torchic & Wurmple with her.

I can't wait to see more chapters! By the way, I like how your chapter title is something someone says in the chapter. Too bad Matt lost his first match, but it is cool how so far, they all have Pokémon of completely different types.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Thanks for reviewing Torp!

And because I realised what a bad title the first one was, so I changed it :)

Not sure when the next chapter'll be up, I want to make sure it's good enough to publish. And thanks, I could never think of good titles so I thought why not just do that!

Thanks again!

Torpoleon

Pretty long chapter! Nice to see everyone still with different types of Pokémon. I wonder what that mysterious stuff at the end was. I bet Thomas is a coordinater, or will be important.

Matt does Gyms and Izzy does Contests. I wonder what Hannah will do. Can't wait for more!

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Review based on first chapter

This took longer than it should have. Anyways, let's get on with it!

Turtwigfan1 said:
even with her jacket on the house was freezing.

There needs to be a comma after on. It sounds like her jacket is on the house.

If I’ve not, then we’re sleeping on the floor!

I've is not needed here.

Head downstairs, ask dad,

And should replace the comma.

Hannah giggled,

Period instead of a comma here. Giggling and speech are two different things.

She loved her Pokémon, they were her best friends.

A semi colon should be where the comma is.

A grin spread across the black-haired boy’s face. He hated going shopping with Izzy – she took forever.

Why is he smiling if he hates it?

“Hey, are you new here?” asked Matt inquisitively, not recognising the girl.

He seemed to know she wasn't from around there pretty fast from just a glance at her face.

“Obv-course.”

?

“So dad, what’s the big surprise?” asked Matt.

Since dad is being used as a proper noun here it needs to be Dad.

Lilycove City in Hoenn, it’s so nice and warm. Unlike this craphole of a place,” Hannah responded a bit angrily.

The italicized part needs to be reworded. You could say, "I moved from the nice and warm Lilycove City in Hoenn." The bold part was just harsh. Usually people who just meet try to avoid insulting each other.

“Was that a trainer I just heard?” asked a squeaky, nasally voice.

Well she came from nowhere.

“Good battle, but you’re pathetically weak. You’ll have no chance at the Oreburgh Gym if you keep battling like that,”

Kind of uncalled for since she was almost beaten by him.

Well, nothing out of the ordinary in the first chapter. Main character meets traveling partners, turns out it will be a group of three, first battle for a main character, said main character loses. I like how Hannah already had Pokemon though. Saves it from being completely cliche. I will read and review the second chapter tomorrow.

Until then, Shadow Lucario is out.