• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Power or Accuracy? What matters more?

a lot of power and average accuracy or good power and nice accuracy?

• a lot of power, but it may miss (Thunder, Blizzard, Hydro Pump, Fire Blast, for example)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • good power, but i'm sure it'll hit (Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Surf, for example)

Votes: 49 92.5%

• Total voters

Ditto B1tch

This is what I mean, do you usually prefer:

Hydro Pump or Surf?

Thunder or Thunderbolt?

Fire Blast or Flamethrower?

Blizzard or Ice Beam?

I personally go on Accuracy, it pisses me off when one of my moves miss, I think "if I had taught that other move it would have hit".

Last edited:

Zachmac

Hydro Pump or Surf?

Thunder or Thunderbolt?

Blizzard or Ice Beam?

I personally prefer nice power and good accuracy (Surf, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower and Ice Beam.
Depends. If I feel that the accuracy is too unreliable, I'll go for a more accurate option. And, at least competitively, offensive pokemon are more willing to go for the less accurate options, while defensive want more reliable ones.

Ditto B1tch

Depends. If I feel that the accuracy is too unreliable, I'll go for a more accurate option. And, at least competitively, offensive pokemon are more willing to go for the less accurate options, while defensive want more reliable ones.

The only 120 power base I would pick is Fire Blast, all the others I would stay because of accuracy, then second option is more like me.

probably accuracy. i've lost so many battles due to missing.

Indigoodra

playing casually, i will typically pick the more accurate move.

besides, they're generally 90-95, so i mean really now

Pikafleg

Twenty-Six!
I usually try to have both the 120 power/less accurate move and the weaker more accurate move. I much more often use the weaker move (not only because of accuracy, but to save pp of the stronger moves too), and just try the stronger move when I really need it...but if I literally have one turn, I'll try the weaker move, unless I know it wont work....and that of course is why there are both types of moves! It adds to both the strategy and luck of the games, I guess.

Lucario95

Behold The Aura!
I always go for the moves that have good accuracy(having 90+)and have good power(70+), as well I consider the PP, they are important also.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I'd rather have the accuracy and finish something off with a faster 'mon or priority the next turn if it comes to that, rather than go for power and risk doing nothing.

ZombifiedHorror1031

I have generally always preferred to use the more accurate moves. However, if I have something on one of my teams to set up rain or hail, I'll throw Thunder or Blizzard in a move slot due to the accuracy boost they receive.

Sealotic

I really have to become strategic, I really want to use other than offensive moves...
I would say Power, bacause that's what I use, Hydropump, FireBlast...

However, I definitely hate Blizzard and love Ice Beam, so it depends.

gliscor&yanmega

Hydro Pump or Surf?

Thunder or Thunderbolt?

Blizzard or Ice Beam?

I personally go on Accuracy, it pisses me off when one of my moves miss, I think "if I had taught that other move it would have hit".

Well there's also PP for me to factor in as well, at least when it comes to in-game battling, I don't really want to use Hydro Pump as it's only 5, whereas Surf is 15, giving me more use out of the move without having to go back to a Pokemon center or use items that I never use(Elixirs and the like, also don't really use PP Ups so I don't really bother increasing the PP, although 8 isn't that big of a difference to me anyways, especially when Surf would end up with 24).

In general, I'd go with the more accurate moves that have a decent enough PP, at least when it comes to in-game battling. I take more chances for Battle Facilities type things, PP isn't as big of deal either in those cases as it restores after every battle. I still would usually prefer the more accurate moves though, however, I'd use Thunder and Blizzard over Thunderbolt and Ice Beam if I would be using Rain or Hail for the battle.

Also, there are cases where I'd go with less accurate moves due to a lack of another option, such as with Focus Blast where there isn't much other options for another Special Fighting type attack for most Pokemon.

But in general, I go with more Accuracy over more Power.

SimH8

Accuracy for me. The power increase to me isn't worth the risk of missing. And they have significantly lower PP.

Accuracy. The extra power is hardly worth it if you're down to 1 PP and you happen to miss.

Accuracy. The only time I have gone for power was Blizzard in FireRed, and that was only a desperate measure after forgetting to save AFTER getting enough coins for Ice Beam.

ECM

Definitely accuracy. I feel like using moves with lower accuracy is too risky for the way I like to play the game.

Rakurai

It really depends in my case.

For instance, I found that a lot of Pokemon were able to barely survive super effective hits from my Hydreigon's Flamethrower, which lead to me using Fire Blast instead to deal with that issue.

I'm one of those people obsessive enough to mess around with a damage calculator to determine whether or not I need the extra power on my Pokemon to deal with common threats.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I'll use the more powerful moves occasionally, but the vast majority of the time I go with the more accurate moves.
It can be frustrating dealing with moves that miss often, especially since the inaccurate moves generally have very low PP.

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
Usually I go for accuracy, but it can be situational.
For example, if I have to choose between Rock Slide and Stone Edge, I will choose according to the pokemon's speed (because of flinching). I also prefer Fire Blast to Flamethrower, since 85% is not as bad as most choices for power.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Accuracy. Simply because I have seen how well it works for an NPC to make my Pokemon blind and miss the target. >.> Silly Sand-Attacks everywhere >~> so I try to implement Accuracy lowering moves on my Pokemon most of the time naow <.>