• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Power or Accuracy?

Which do you prefer?

• Power all the way

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Accuracy is more reliable

Votes: 80 68.4%

• Total voters

Soperman

The One and Only
I don't think any thread like this has existed (at least since I've been here) and it's something I want to clear up.
Something that's come up a bunch of times when making teams is whether to choose a move that's more powerful or more accurate.
For example, on Heatran, I was considering going with either Fire Blast or Flamethrower. Fire Blast is much stronger, but it can sometimes miss. Personally, I go with an attack that's more reliable.
So what do you guys think is better? Power or Reliability?
By the way, Thunder and Thunderbolt is a different matter, as rain is so common now and Thunder is 100% accurate.

It's clear that it depends on the team and the pokemon; there's not much left to discuss. What I'm thinking now is to go for specifics; which pokemon would you use with higher power, versus which pokemon you would use higher accuracy. Make sure to specify the move-set as well.
For example, on Infernape, I'll generally go for Focus Blast over Hidden Power Fighting, becuase without the raw power of FB, Infernape might faint without getting a KO. He's too frail.
Anyway, that's the new discussion. Have fun.

Certainly accuracy. Although I do tend to use moves with accuracy below 75% for more power, I usually use accuracy modifiers with them (ie.: hone claws or scope lens).

Zachmac

Really depends on the situation. Using a Starmie in the rain, I'll definitely go for Hydro Pump. On a Vaporeon, however, I'll stick with accuracy.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Really depends on the situation. Using a Starmie in the rain, I'll definitely go for Hydro Pump. On a Vaporeon, however, I'll stick with accuracy.
Or Scald. This.

Eaglehawk

Banned
I tend to rely on power more,simply because the extra BP turns a lot of 2HKOs into OHKOs, which pretty much determine the wave of the match.

Soperman

The One and Only
To make powerful even more intense? Personally, I would still go with Surf; I've lost plenty of battles in the rain because Hydro Pump missed.
I like accuracy better. In as many places as I can, I like to go with Rock Slide rather then Stone Edge. Plus, the flinch chance is helpful :3
Unless you're in a double battle or something like that, Stone Edge is probably better. There is a huge difference between base 100 power and base 75. Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
j/s if you're using scald on an offensive mon you're doing something wrong
Scald is great! On Simipour there's nothing better than Scald! Except for Brine and Surf, but Surf is bad for Doubles if you don't have a water resistant partner and Brine's still weaker until you go below half. I guess it'd be better for DW Simipour. I know it's rarely to never used but I used it for my speed run. There's the chance of a Burn! That makes it better than any other water move that's slightly stronger! Emboar learns it to cover Rock and Ground weaknesses! Which I'll admit is incredibly weird, and it has really poor Special Attack... but it can learn it! And it's a great move for several other Pokemon whose other options for STAB are Hydro Pump and Surf. I prefer Scald over Hydro Pump or Surf ANYDAY!!! :3

I'd much rather have accuracy than power. There's nothing worse than a miss hax. Although, for a new Nidoking I'm goign to use Blizzard, Thunder, and Fire Blast but he'll have Gravity support.

Fortunato

Sic Transit Gloria
For me its a simple decision. Can the more accurate move get the necessary KOs that are needed to achieve a sweep? If the answer is yes than there is no reason to risk the less accurate stronger move, if the answer is no then I will always go with the stronger move. Even though misses really suck most of the time you can still reliably count on the stronger move to get the job done.

dragonuser™

the greatest crisis
Its really dependent on ur team, and if you need to take the chance. I generally prefer accuracy(less chances to get haxed) but if a KO is only attainable through a stronger move, then I rarely hesitate to make the change. Accuracy is nice, but supporting the team is the primary goal. If a stronger move is needed, then it really is needed.

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
I tend to prefer powerful moves over accurate ones. I believe that this is reflected in the fact that in Generation II, I used one-hit KO moves in battle probably more than any other person in existence.

Power with Accuracy thats why I did not vote.

complete legitimacy

pack that fudge
Put it this way, the more powerful move is generally the one you wnt to go for on offensive Pokemon. Stone Edge will have an 80% chance to get the KO that it needs, while in a simlar situation Rock Slide will have a 0% chance to get the KO.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
All depends on the situation. With offensive mon's I'm most likely going with the power as its needed to score more KO's. With defensive mon's accuracy is probably the way to go as they usually need to keep hitting on a consistant basis many times to score KO's, and it can't afford to miss.

ROBO PIKA Tek 2

Kid with Pantz
I like power. Why? Well, I don't like power for myself only. but its nice to win by that haxy miss.

Other than that power is more preferable because I just like that hit.

Also, some moves only cost little accuracy when you get a big power bonus.

Like for Fire Blast 120 goes to 180 (On Heatran, like you said) and Flamethrower goes to about 140.

So you're getting a 40% power boost while sacrificing only 15% of your accuracy.

MegaSerperior

<--- My life
Usually I will go for the more powerful moves, but I'll have things to raise the accuracy like X Accuracy or Hone claws.

Zachmac

To make powerful even more intense? Personally, I would still go with Surf; I've lost plenty of battles in the rain because Hydro Pump missed.
I've lost even more because Surf lacked the power to KO. Especially in the rain, when the power difference is much larger. You'll lose some battles anyway though.
Scald is great! On Simipour there's nothing better than Scald! Except for Brine and Surf, but Surf is bad for Doubles if you don't have a water resistant partner and Brine's still weaker until you go below half. I guess it'd be better for DW Simipour. I know it's rarely to never used but I used it for my speed run. There's the chance of a Burn! That makes it better than any other water move that's slightly stronger! Emboar learns it to cover Rock and Ground weaknesses! Which I'll admit is incredibly weird, and it has really poor Special Attack... but it can learn it! And it's a great move for several other Pokemon whose other options for STAB are Hydro Pump and Surf. I prefer Scald over Hydro Pump or Surf ANYDAY!!! :3
Offensive pokemon try to KO pokemon as quickly as possible, and care less about hindering enemy's stats. It is a great move, but it's more cut out for defensive pokemon.

Gamefreak

I go for power. Mainly because if none of my moves miss, I am essentially using a stronger team.

It really depends on the team though.