• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PPL's Lyricious Lickie-Icon Lecture, nya~ (For Paint)

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
lickie.png

It's been months since peeps on Serebii've been bugging me for a Lecture for 'em Lickies and finally got my hopes up of making one!
I mean, who in the world begs for a Lecture and exchange for 5 shiny event Pokemon?! What good does that do? XD! Its not like it'll make my tummy full xP

Please excuse me if you cant understand.. I'm not a really reliable person to ask things that requires explaination stuff for answers xD;; But.. Ima try mah best :p

History:

Since I was bored out of my mind in my holidays waiting for college/university to start, I decided to open my own Art Shop!
(I was so weird that I didn't bother making one earlier coz I thought only mods can make 'em ^^; )
I just wanted my name on other peeps siggys coz I noticed Skiyomi name was everywhere...
So I started off doing simple banners - I didn't get much attention so I lurked through Google Images for random stuff and found licking icons!
At first I didn't know how the hell how to do them so I lurked everywhere for a Eevee lickie base! And found a base off another forum that I dunno the name off so I first made my first fail lickie:
1stlickieXD_zps6c4699fe.gif

So yeah.. Thats my history! Now for the fun part, the lecture!

Thingies yer gonna need!:
Computer (obviously xD)
PC-Paint program (I never used MS Paint or Paint Pro. Just normal Paint)
Mouse, keyboard or a tablet (But i havent used one)
Internet
Images of the character

Optional Things:
Gimp (I use 2.6)
Photoshop (I use CS5)

clouded_shippy_lickies_by_pplyra-d4m30s6.gif

partoneo.png

74218976.png

First of all, I NEVER used Photoshop for my lickies the first time I done them. I use Paint :p (If you're using mac.. Uhm I dunno wut to say xD)

This is my base, I cleaned it up a bit so its not Eevee anymore:
lickie1.png

99674262.png

Second of all, you gonna wanna know what you wanna do, no point of doing one if you dunno what youre doin' xD

Go in Google Images or anything you can get reference of the thing you wanna make, and search for pics for it
For this lecture, I'ma do Team Rocket Lyra!
p1.png

Perfect pic ;)
p11.png

45398882.png

Once youve got 'em pic, all you hafta do is look at the style closely and draw it out
To me, I start with the basics - Face, then the outer stuff liek hair/ears and clothes (If it has any XD)

Firsty, I zoomed in full max with the magnifying glass. Then I started off with her hair, then the bit of her hat plus side bangs/fringe
p13.png

Finish her hat off
p14.png

I put clothes on her - LyROFL ^^;
p15.png

Added details on the other frames
p16.png

p17.png

86381730.png

Once youve done that, its time for the fun part - colouring it!

BLAH!! I meant COPY IMAGE not COPY IMAGE URL :p
p12.png

Paste the image on Paint then Copy the bit of where all colours are put
p18.png

Paste the copied part of the image and time to use teh paint-dropper thingy to copy the colour
p110.png

p19.png

Using the paint bucket tool, you colour the part of the frame
p111.png

Done the rest!
p112.png

13849569.png

Well there ya go! Now the last bits

Select all Frames...
p113.png

...copy ALL the frames...
p114.png

..Click that Attributes thing..
[
p115.png

..Then this window pops up and put 50 x 50 pixels for each frame you save!
p116.png

Save it as PNG not JPG, or it'll be ruined!!!
p117.png

When you're all done all 11-13 frames, I suggest to use IAZA.COM to upload and animate them, not gifninja.com, unless you want your lickie to be ruined xD
All done! Now theres teh lickie icon ye wantz xD!
429275.gif

parttwo.png

74218976.png

Go back to the colouring part and double click on the tongue colour and this box appears
Click the black sideways triangle upwards so the colour will go lighter
p2.png

99674262.png

Use the Brush tool, the small circle first and colour the bottom of the 3rd frames tongue
p21.png

45398882.png

Use the big circle brush for the rest of the tongues.. then... upload all frames :D
p22.png

All done for that part XD

cookielick.gif

partthree.png

74218976.png

You NEED Photoshop for this one!!
My PShop at home murders my comp whenever I try to open PShop thats why I can only do transperent lickies at my school's Mac xP

99674262.png

Make shore youre all done your lickie thats its a animated GIF file. Drag teh gif file into PShop and make shore the Animation window is popped up
p3.png

45398882.png

Press CTL + E for the eraser tool and make shore its on the magic eraser tool. Then click the background colour for it to be transperent of every frame in the animation box
p31.png

Set the Tolerance to 0 when you use the Eraser
p33.png

86381730.png

When you're all done, go Save For Web..
p32.png

...and clickie Save. Thats all! XD
p34.png

partfour.png

74218976.png

This is Optional. I prefer doing the frames on Paint Then Animate on Gimp. You Can draw the frames in Gimp if you want, it works the same way!

You must have the program called Gimp to do this! You can download it free when ya search it on Google then Open up a new 50 x 50 project
p4.png

99674262.png

Go back to Step Five of Part One and copy all the frames in Paint
p41.png

45398882.png

Paste them on your project
[
p42.png

Youll see Pasted Layer on the top layer of your project, thats just normal. Just lick on the New Layer and itll be placed on top
p43.png

86381730.png

Keep doing that until you have all the frames on your project and right click to Filters > Animation > Optimize for GIF
Optimizing it means it crops the unwanted pixels to reduce the size
p44.png

A new window pops up and all you hafta do it Save As > Name your project then type .GIF after it. Its REALLY important to put .GIF after your name project or it WONT be a ANIMATED
p45.png

Then, just Save as ANIMATION (DONT Merge all layers or it WONT be ANIMATED)> export it > Set the Delay on 130 MS > click the Use Delay box > save it
p46.png

...AND YOU END UP WITH THIS, BABY!
arclick.gif

partfive.png

74218976.png

Go in Google Images to search for a image
For this one, EternalSword7 gave me an image to work with for his Swampert lickie
p5.png

Simply just copy and paste the image on Paint before you hit Step Five of Part One
p51.png

99674262.png

Go to Image > Stretch and Skew put the same numbers there, for example mine is 30 x 30 > OK
p52.png

Your image'll shrink. Then once you selected the part you got, go to:
Image > Attributes > 50 x 50 pixels > OK
p53.png

45398882.png

Then copy and Paste the small image and make your project 100 pixels tall
p54.png

Paste the small image underneath your frames. Make shore its alligned right. We dont want the background messing up the GIF, now dont we? :3
Make shore the bottom box is selected when youre on the selection tool and its the same color as the background on your bottom colour pallet of your mouse (Make shore the colour background you pick is NOTHING liek the colours in your frames, or else theyll be transperent too!)
p55.png

86381730.png

Once you done that, just drag the frames down onto the top of the images
p56.png

Then go ahead and animate it, easy freezie :3

97395664.png

74218976.png

Open up Gimp and paste all the layers of your lickie and click on that icon that looks like a building thats made out of coloured squares. Thats a colour selection tool and selects the same colour in one layer (Cool, eh?!)
p6.png

Now use that tool to select the colour of the background of your lickie and press delete.
p61.png

Do this on all of your layers.
p62.png

99674262.png

Now, double click the name of your layer and add any names to it as long its got (replace) on the name. Or else something will go wrong on your animation!
p63.png

Do that to all of the layers.
p64.png

45398882.png

Now save it as .gif.
p65.png

Ignore this by clicking Crop.
p66.png

Ah yeah. It's gotta be transparent like this.. if its laggy. You didn't do something right.
Better check you removed the background properly or named all your layers as replace.
pkmn_gothorita_lickie_by_pplyra-d4oaa70.gif

If ya dont understand something, leave a comment XD I dont think even me can understand this :/
Im better at explaining when I draw XD not write! Atleast I tried okay? xD

Youre welcome to post what youve learned from the lecture coz Im happy to see what ye learnt from it XD
Also, if you spot a mistake or a image/link not working, please do tell me ASAP!

Here some of the lickies I've done:!
http://pplyra.deviantart.com/gallery/34728176

CTL + A (Select All)
CTL + C (Copy)
CTL + V (Paste)
CTL + Z (Undo)
CTL + Y (Redo)
CTL + S (Save)

CTL/Command + E (Eraser tool in Photoshop)

alyssnreshiram: do you have a favorite something you made?
PikaPal_Lyra: probly the first one - the one that started it all ^-^

~☆~☆~>> There's now a collection of my Pokemon lickies <<~☆~☆~

~PPL, nya~​

Last edited:

Antithesis

If anyone has Photoshop, I'd suggest doing it on there. Much easier and you can get a less pixelated final image in less time, I've always seen doing things like this on Paint (or doing anything but sprinting in Paint or Paintbrush on Mac, actually) as kind of an exercise in frustration. The end result looks good, though, kudos.

What's the "nya" thing all about?

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Nya-Meow
Nyarth - Meowth

Well thats how I do it to the peeps who wanna know. Atleast I tried, plus I use what I have not what I dont have
And its not pixelated -__- I zoomed in

Edit: I added the other thing now, nya~

~SilverLugia~

Use Razor Shell!
Thanks PPL! I've always wanted to know how to make these, but all I have is Paint. Knowing I can make these on Paint is really awesome!

I was wondering if I can post my finished Lickie Project here once I'm done. It's gonna be a Mudkip!

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Thanks PPL! I've always wanted to know how to make these, but all I have is Paint. Knowing I can make these on Paint is really awesome!

I was wondering if I can post my finished Lickie Project here once I'm done. It's gonna be a Mudkip!

^-^ Glad I could be a help

Yeah shore if ya want, I wanna see how it turns out, nya~

~SilverLugia~

Use Razor Shell!
Sorry that it took a while, but it is now completed!

iaza11446365338300.gif

Alfred Jones

Cryptic thoughts
Sadly, I tried, and all I got was this... I have no clue why it's not animated T^T
iaza19871878353600.gif

edit...
iaza18970575269400.gif

nope still not working

Last edited:

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
http://i41.*******.com/2573zwm.gif
Ya forgot to colour one frame of its tongue, but I didnt fix it XD the wings move about tho.. but other than that, its pretty kewl XD nya~

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Thanks :D I think I did his eyes wrong though XD And yeah I should make it faster :p

http://i40.*******.com/2zsnv44.gif

All better~
That looks much better, plus. On the drawing side, I kinda noticed some curves on Snivy is kinda crooked xD;
I dont wanna be mean or anything but it kinda ruins the animation. Thats all ^^ nya~

wιɴтerвreezeѕrυle

dαrĸpαw ιѕɴ'т αмυѕed
I used your steps, and I made a Delcatty lickie. I think it turned out pretty good (since the tutorial is so easy to understand)-
T3Ut9K.gif
IAZA.COM didn't work for me, so I used makeagif.com.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I used your steps, and I made a Delcatty lickie. I think it turned out pretty good (since the tutorial is so easy to understand)-
T3Ut9K.gif
IAZA.COM didn't work for me, so I used makeagif.com.
Sites liek those got watermarks/turns everything crappy as in ruined PNGs to JPGs :/ Dont trust 'em
And its good but why does it go back and forth? :/ nya~

wιɴтerвreezeѕrυle

dαrĸpαw ιѕɴ'т αмυѕed
I don't know... I just noticed that....

I don't trust them, but I couldn't get the IAZA site to work. I dunno why. Do you know any other sites? I could remake it....

EDIT: I got the IAZA site to work:
iaza11436376302300.gif

Last edited: