• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pre-Evo stone

IIRC Bronzong still takes hits better. Leftovers / Light Clay makes it better at screening anyway.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Chansey is just the tip of the iceburg. While the evolution stone may not have much use of some pokemon who are offensive many pokemon that aren't offensive now are better options. Take for example a bonzong set without any attacks (screens possibly) bronzor now is more defensive than its evolution. Now every time you want to choose a defensive pokemon you have to make sure its pre-evolution a isn't better wall.

On the other hand, you still have to consider whether it's worth using a "better" Pokemon with essentially no item, or a "worse" one with access to any item. Leftovers is sorely missed and no Shed Shell can make you Shandera bait.

Kirbx

Lowely Pawn
Its just an example. But still every time you choose a pokemon without any offensive moves you must make sure its preevolution now isn't oddly better then it.

For OU its hard to come up with example since usually everything has atleast a decent offensive stat to work with but in lower tiers once they form this will be an issue.

Cris~Wigglytuff~

elite wigglejiggle!?
Wait does phione get the pre-evo stone boost?

Cuddy

Cyndaquil Master
I like Piloswine. Good defense but on top of that, it can disappear in the snow with snow cloak.

Skydra

Wait does phione get the pre-evo stone boost?

Phione doesn't evolve into anything. You should probably be able to deduce the answer to your question from there.

ASB

Weather Team Hater
Don't forget little Monmen. His defense and special defense become higher than his evo's (360/327 compared to 295/273), everything else that is lower is either beneficial (more % HP from Leech Seed, less Gyro Ball damage) or doesn't matter anyway (Speed is lower but Mischievous Heart cancels this out, and nobody uses these two for attacking anyway). Granted, Erufuun still almost has a tiny niche, outspeeding other priority users. And it's cooler..... umm yeah. Reading about this on Smogon blew my mind.

NukeRider

Conjoined at birth
Huh? Your OU metagame is evolving!

The evolution stone is seriously going to mix things up. Magneton, Machoke, Chansey, Scyther, Porygon2, just to name a few, will all completely own their own evolutions. Imagine your an old, decrepit senior, and your healthy, strong, 20 year old past self warps through some interdimensional portal and beats the sh*t out of you. That's what this metagame is going to be like.

Huh? Your OU metagame is evolving!

The evolution stone is seriously going to mix things up. Magneton, Machoke, Chansey, Scyther, Porygon2, just to name a few, will all completely own their own evolutions. Imagine your an old, decrepit senior, and your healthy, strong, 20 year old past self warps through some interdimensional portal and beats the sh*t out of you. That's what this metagame is going to be like.

just because a pokemon can use the Pre-Evo stone, doesn't mean it should. Using the pre-evo stone takes your item slot, so in Magneton's case, it has slightly higher speed, but it can't use a choice scarf to revenge steels. So now you have a bulky Magneton that gets outspeed by a good chunk of the metagame, and still gets OHKO'd. Machoke's attack is ALOT lower than Machamp's. Really, the only viable pokemon you listed are Scyther, Porygon2, and Chansey, as well as one you didn't list, Dusclops. Scyther still gets beat to **** by stealth rock. P2, Chansey, and Dusclops all lose out on leftovers, and Chansey has to rely on Seismic Toss to even inflict damage outside of toxic.

Granted the Pre-Evo stone sounds good on paper, but in a lot of cases, it just won't work. Here is the smogon thread about Rhydon, and the problems with it using the pre-evo stone, despite, looking very good on paper, such as being able to tank hits.
I just tried to use a Sp. Def Rhydon today and it was one of the worst ideas I've ever had. Instead of being an offensive powerhouse or an ***-kicking tank, he was just slow setup bait for bulky sweepers and walls alike.

Rhydon sucks pretty bad, even with Evo Stone. The typing still leaves it wide open to the threats that want to set up on and kill it, like Roopushin and Garchomp. You can invest in Sp. Def or physical Def, but you'll more than likely be compensating for something you're weak to, which is everything, really. Going offensive begs the question of "Hey, why am I using this over Landlos, Doryuuzu, Gliscor, or anything else commonly found on a sand team?" You'll probably end up drawing blanks the same way I did.
That's just one of the pokemon that seems like it would be good with a pre-evo stone, but isn't really.

gandaf

this pre-evo stone is going to a very interesting item to see used because besides the set that have been mention there will be people that use it in some unfashionable ways. I know im going to experiment with it as soon as i get b/w. The pokemon that are going to benifit the most are going to be the ones you dont expect to see with it. I just cant wait to see more variations in team sets instead of the same pokemon on half the teams

XenosFire

I run a trick user on all my teams mostly just for this item. It can be REALLY annoying to have a specially built team get walled by Chansey...and then give it a toxic orb for it's troubles.

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
Nidorina

Maybe this means little miss Nidorina could probably go up with this stone in hand.