• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pre owned or new?

Which do you prefer

• Pre owned

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • New

Votes: 97 59.1%
  • I don't care

Votes: 52 31.7%

• Total voters

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
Do you prefer pre owned Pokemon games or new Pokemon games and why?

I prefer pre owned because my first Pokemon game was pre owned and had a save file which I continued and had some awesome and rare Pokemon on it, including a groudon, dialga, snorlax, scizor, charizard and Swampert which were all very high levelled and with good move pools.

Jonah the Slaking

Couch-bound Warrior
New games are better. When you buy the game new, that's YOUR GAME. YOU work to fill the Pokedex. It's YOUR work. No one else's. And yes, you can start over a pre-owned, but the fact that the game is waiting on the store shelf for YOU makes this underwhelming.

RAGD0LL

Gary's Cheerleader
I prefer new. During Gen 1-2 I always bought new games from toys r us :p But I put Pokemon down for a little while, and by the time I picked it up again you could only find pre-owned versions of Gen 3-4. I got a new Black though :3

So far, since IV all my games have been new, I stood in line opening day for White.

The only reason III and older aren't are because their my friend's that didn't want them anymore.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Depends on what I can get. I've gotten a fair number of pre-owned games before. Most of them featured either poor hacks of event legendaries, or generally terrible movesets (e.g. legends and starters with large numbers of non-Surf HM moves).

I found a fourth-gen game with a legit event Celebi once, though, which was pretty cool.

Phoopes

There it is.
New games are better. When you buy the game new, that's YOUR GAME. YOU work to fill the Pokedex. It's YOUR work. No one else's. And yes, you can start over a pre-owned, but the fact that the game is waiting on the store shelf for YOU makes this underwhelming.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Just doesn't feel as special for me.

randomspot555

Pokemon games, due to their popularity, don't go down much in price on the pre-owned market. Usually you save $5-10.

Might as well buy them new, and that way you won't get a bootlegged cart.

Iristle

I make no sense
I definitely prefer new over pre-owned games. I just like the feel and the fact that its yours to start your own new journey over it.
I kinda lost some trust in pre-owned copies after buying a few Leaf Greens off of Amazon. Yes, I was a bit stupid and didn't realise, but the first copy I got was a bootleg. I couldn't use it to trade to Pearl so I had to get another. Thankfully the second one I bought was legitimate. But still, new over pre-owned any day.

(I also like keeping the packaging and sometimes the instruction manuals. Pre-owned sometimes don't have that luxury of like-new packaging so it ruins the feel of having a new game)

HetaOni

Chesaught
For my birthday in 2010 my brother had given me his girlfriend's relative's Pokemon Platinum,but I already had Platinum so I decieded to restart it.For some reason I checked the PC boxes of the game's former owner.EVENT POKEMON HEAVEN.There was also a shiny Crobat in there and I traded all those Pokemon to my Platinum before I restarted it.Ima theif X3

Noctali

Umbreon
I prefer just getting a new game. I have a used version of Pearl that my stepbrother no longer wanted, but that's about it. I ended up starting over that file anyway. Now my boyfriend plays it (well, he hasn't in months, but maybe he will get back to it eventually).

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I prefer games in which I can catch Pokemon and battle.

Honestly, it really doesn't make a difference.

cptmyname

I always prefer new. You never know when your used game's been hacked to the point of wigging out every 5 seconds until it's too late to take it back.

The only game's that I got used were Silver and Yellow. I got into pokemon in genIII around when emerald came out, it wasn't easy getting a 2nd gen copy, and I got yellow from my cousin. He said it didn't work and gave it to me for free. I replaced the battery and it worked fine.

Cerex

It terms of urgency I prefer new, because I would rather not shop around; however, I've gotten a couple of used games in the past. It's actually not a bad deal, usually there still a game save there, which in turn allows me to capture another set of legendaries, get a Master Ball (depending on how far along the story) and some unique Trainer IDs without the hassle of restarting a game.