• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pre/Post E4 Platinum Team

MurkySnow

I'm a first time platinum player, barely mucked with the fourth gen because I couldn't get off my high horse about the old generations until recently. I did play HG/SS though and I dabbled with Black version.

I have very little idea about the Pokemon in this region and I definitely don't know their move sets, but I know the mechanics and type match ups pretty well.

That said, here's a team. It doesn't seem to have any glaring resistance issues that I can see, but I don't know if there are better alternatives either that are more powerful, can be obtained easier or have better moves. I don't even know the NAMES of most of the 4th gen pokemon.

392.png

Torterra
Adamant
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge

68.png

Machamp
Adamant
No Guard
- Dynamic Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunderpunch
- Substitute

229.png

Houndoom
Timid
Flash Fire
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Substitute

65.png

Alakazam
Timid
Inner Focus
- Psyhic
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball

94.png

Gengar
Timid
Levitate
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hypnosis
- Focus Blast

450.png

Garchomp
Jolly
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

So that's my sad little list. As you can see I don't really have any idea what I'm doing. I do have a Jirachi I can trade over somewhere, I don't know what level or nature though (it was through some event, I might not have even picked it up from the delivery man, I know I never used it)

Everything is flexible, I haven't actually started yet. This is just my blue print for when I get to the E4 or complete the game.

So, do what I hear you do best, rip my hopes and dreams to shreds and help me come up with a better team. Thank you.

Last edited:

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Alakazam is too frail to use Substitute and Calm Mind , use Energy Ball and Shadow Ball instead.

Garchomp can use Fire Fang or Rock Slide.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
For Gengar, consider T-Bolt over Substitute as Gengar is pretty frail too. Maybe Energy Ball over Hypnosis. For some extra power, you could also teach Torterra Wood Hammer through the move relearner.

MurkySnow

Alakazam is too frail to use Substitute and Calm Mind , use Energy Ball and Shadow Ball instead.

Garchomp can use Fire Fang or Rock Slide.

Alakazam already knows Shadow Ball, so that leaves me down a move. Also, if I'm not mistaken don't I have to beat the E4 and complete the Pokedex to be able to get the Energy Ball TM?

Everything sounds good for Garchomp though! As far as I can tell from reading Bulbapedia I should be able to get all of these move sets (Minus Alakazam) before the elite four? I'm not sure how much post-E4 gameplay there is, so I don't know whether it's really worth planning ahead and getting a postgame TM if I'm not planning to use these guys online.

For Gengar, consider T-Bolt over Substitute as Gengar is pretty frail too. Maybe Energy Ball over Hypnosis. For some extra power, you could also teach Torterra Wood Hammer through the move relearner.

Woodhammer sounds good, I can do that post-e4, right? Thunderbolt sounds good. But if I'm using Energy Ball on Alakazam I can't use it on Gengar. :/

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
Then keep Hypnosis. You can reteach Wood Hammer in Pasteria City with a Heart Scale.

MurkySnow

Thanks for all the tips, I've updated my list with everything I think. Couldn't workout how to strikeout the old moves so I just deleted them and put the new moves in bold.

Pretty excited for this team. Not sure if I'll have the patience to look for the natures for all of them, but it should be fun.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
I am pretty sure Seed Bomb requires breeding or a move tutor. Idr which though.