• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pre-Shop Practice?

Virawl

•º°N¡ce Guy°º•
Hello all. I've been eyeing the Fan Shops lately because they seem pretty interesting. I might take it up this summer.

Anyway, I've been practicing what looked like Shop essentials like providing userbars and recolors.

Take a look at some of my (Rookie) work. I would like some constructive criticism on them. Not just plain ol' compliments, which are nice to have, but not in this case. I'd like to improve and expand, so try to give me some tips!

All I ask is for you to look some of this over and tell me what I can improve on/ add on so I can, well, improve on my skills and learn new techniques. I'm still pretty new at this, started only this week, so have some mercy. I hope to learn and improve with my digital art stuff over the summer, that's why I'm considering this.

Capture.png

A sig I attempted. Kinda suckish. But, I have found a tutorial for Gimp and other resources which I am reading and practicing through. Also found handy links to new brushes and fonts, just in case. (Ignore the white edges. The Window froze just as I was about to save it. Luckily, I could still take a screen shot, so I quickly did.)

Ferrothorn.png

*EDIT: Newly added this. Another banner.

Beheeyem1.png
>> Forgot to save as a PNG.
Beheeyem3.png

Beheeyem4.png

Also attempted Userbars. I think they came out pretty basic, but good. Next time, I'll try to use an image as a BG or pattern.

Scraggy.gif

Licky, or in this case, a headbump-y since Scraggy looks awkward with a tongue.

Team.jpg

I decided to throw this in here. Icons with slight highlights. I know they're terribly blurring, but I rushed them when making them, cuz I had 10 minutes before I had to go.
(And yes, this is my RMT Team, except I replaced Scrafty with Scizor, xD)

Yeah, so... I need advice!

btw, feel free to use the banners, user bars or headbumpy/ licky if you'd like. You know, if you want textless/ opaque user bars, or one-frame-messed-up Lickies. xD
Just give me credit~

Last edited:

Virawl

•º°N¡ce Guy°º•
Thank you. A frame out of place is easy to fix. Just never noticed it til now. Glad you liked the Fraxure banner : )

Ditto123

~Word~
<3 the Fraxure banner and Scrafty icon. Also, I love the Scraggy icon, but because I think Scraggy is adorable! Nothing major to point out. The userbars were also pretty good, but the first one has a white box around it

Virawl

•º°N¡ce Guy°º•
<3 the Fraxure banner and Scrafty icon. Also, I love the Scraggy icon, but because I think Scraggy is adorable! Nothing major to point out. The userbars were also pretty good, but the first one has a white box around it

Thanks! Yeah, for the first Userbar, I think I forgot to save it as PNG.

Try adding a pattern to the background of your userbars ( I always use a line pattern )

Thanks for the tip! I'll try to add some patterns next time. I know I can add circles or something. I did those on my computer without GIMP, but my laptop has GIMP (GIMP has line patterns) so next time I'll use that!

btw, nice Shop : )

Last edited:

BlazingCold

Good work. Your work for a newb is amazing.

Virawl

•º°N¡ce Guy°º•
Good work. Your work for a newb is amazing.

Thank you! I learn a lot by just browsing the many shops you guys have opened, and observe your overall art and try to apply that to mine. I'm still working out a lot of kinks and learning new stuff though. : )

Hey those look great! Oh you could have just started a new thing! Headbummpys! I'd lobe a latios one...

Virawl

•º°N¡ce Guy°º•
looks like ur on the right track :3. wanna practice by making me something for my sig? ;D

Sorry, but that's what a shop would be for.

Hey those look great! Oh you could have just started a new thing! Headbummpys! I'd lobe a latios one...

Haha, thanks! Maybe I did start a thing... xD Maybe not. I just took the original Licky Animation and basically took out the tongue.

---

Still practicing, but still not on GIMP yet. Still need to read more tutorials for that, but I tried another banner on Pixlr, a free photo-editing website I use. It's pretty basic, but good good for the basic stuff I make currently, alternating with MS Paint.

Ferrothorn.png

Last edited:

SilverSoulLugia

I do like those banners, veeeery nice. :) I use GIMP too - have you tried messing around with the filters for your backgrounds? Try the flame one, it looks awesome!