• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Precocious Evolution

W.T.

Donw with CIPHET!
You've all heard of it before. Wild Level 37 Rhydons. Falkner's single-digit Pidgeotto. Tyranitars and Dragonites in the Battle Frontier. Evolutions often occur much earlier in the wild or with other people than with you.

Theories or explanations, anyone?

i remember back in gold silver team rocket forced pokemon to evolve with a machine of some sort but i don't think every in game trainer would have something like that. i guess game freak tried to make it more challenging or easier mattering on opinion

goldgolem

tell me when to go
probably something that happens in the wild, and trainers that have premature evolution pokemon must have caught them as they were.

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
Well, the battle frontier obviously reduces your Pokemon's level for convenience sake. Perhaps the levels that are set and determined by the game itself are universally how well the trainer is capable of training a Pokemon for it to evolve, but outside NPC trainers are much more experienced and capable of evolving a Pokemon much earlier than the player character could. Sound reasonable? Even still, a level 9 Pidgeotto is a little ridiculous.

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
It's quite possible that they evolved early due to a genetic mutation. Heck, you could catch level 2 Noctowl in Gold, Silver, and Crystal!

L 50 TRU Dragonite.

It's just because TPCi wants too. They can do what they want.

What I always thought was even stranger than all that was in 3rd gen games eggs would hatch at L5, but in the beginning of the game you could catch I think L2s and 3s?!?!??! WHUUUUUUUUT?!?!??!? pREEMmiE pOKemOn?!?!?

Rabidmunchlax

Falkner got his pigeotto from the Y/HGSS viridian forest.

Dante Falls

Doppelgänger
I guess Pokémon need to evolve at a lower level in the wild, due to competition?

Doesn't make that much sense, but that's what I'm going with.

Havocide

Collector
Pokemon levels are just in the games, remember in the anime they evolve under difficult conditions. Ash Staravia evolved really quick, the egg Brock wins with Bonsly hatches fast.

The games are set levels for a reason, to allow the trainer to advance is team. Now if every evolution was for example happiness/training base it would be a much more interesting experience as we would have to work for evolutions.

I have always tried to put a level to Ash's Pokemon in the TV and its so hard to do so, I mean Pikachu has to be high but not high enough in some instances. Then again the TV battles are so much different to our games.

Overall its just a game ;) they wouldnt make the first gym have level 20 pokemon. =)

AzureWatcher

Glacier Hugger
Maybe it was the take off of the anime? Since there are no levels in the anime, pokemon need simple experience or to meet particular requirements to evolve. Perhaps that's what happened to Falkner? Also, there's the balancing issue. Because, of course, balancing is of more importance than common logic. *Sagenod*

hoodoo-voodoo

Licky Boss
Maybe pokemon don't really evolve by level, levels are just a human measurement of their strength. Just throwing that idea out there.
;073;

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
I guess things happen in the wild that causes pokemon to evolve earlier than when they are with a trainer..........or you can go with the fact that it is just a game and thats how it is.