• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Predictions for the end

When do you think it will end

• I'm fine with it ending soon

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • They should at least take it to the double digits or 1000 pokemon

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Never, the series should continue forever

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I'm fine with a few new gens and some spin-offs and remakes

Votes: 37 25.5%

• Total voters

Flying Weasel

So there are currently 5 gens of pokemon with a 6th on the way. We have 649 pokemon and 348 if you only count full evolutions and ones that can't evolve. Now all good things must sadly come to an end at some point, as I can't really see them making more pokemon games 200 years from now. So when exactly do you think they will stop, at least with making new gens. Note this is not for complaining about the new gens being bad, uncreative, stupid, or anything like that. Please don't talk negatively about the newer gens or say for an example,
"It hasn't been good since the first" or "All of the older ones are terrible"
This isn't for raging or being negative just a place to express your idea of what the future of the series holds.

For example my idea is that after six they will start to make remakes or games that take place in an already used region but with a different story and pokedex. For example the orange islands or an actual Elite Four game. They also could make new regions but use a combination of different gens to make up the pokedex with a formerly limited legendary(lets just say Deoxys, Darkrai, Jirachi, Celebi, etc.) or older legendarys that were not given much background (Heatran, Latias, Latios, Cresselia, or the Regi's.)Or if they feel like still making new gens they could release two or three of these games in between them so they can continue the series.

So what are your ideas.

(Note to the Moderators- As someone still fairly new to forums and Serebii.net I would like to apologize if this thread is in the wrong area or is against the forum rules. I understand that being new does not grant immunity to the rules and if this thread goes against any sort of rules I am willing to take any punishment that it may call for. This is simply a topic I have wondered about for I while now and am curious as to what opinions other fans have regarding it.)

This is all merely hypothetical and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Although you may not agree with someones given opinion please respect it and do not negatively comment on it. It's not like these answers will actually decide the fate of the series as the whole.

Last edited:
It'll keep going as long as the fan-base buys the games.

Their still making money, there's no way they'd cancel it anytime soon.

Inferno Vulpix

Despicably Average
I do know that the anime is going to continue indefinitely, and will probably only end when the franchise itself does. So I think that means that Game Freak is going to keep Pokemon going indefinitely, constantly making new regions and 'rebooting' the franchise every other gen (Gen III and Gen V, and supposedly Gen VII, IX, XI, XII, XVI, etc), so that the newer customers (i. e. the kids in the target audience), don't become alienated from the franchise. My guess is that as more and more newer gens come out, always focusing on the children who wouldn't really care about whether or not there are previous gens, Pokemon is going to thrive on and on, with Generation 1 becoming but a mere myth for the people who grew up with Gen XVIII. Game Freak will never stop making new games for new consoles, and I think so long as video games are a marketable product, Pokemon will be there, new generation in hand, ready for the new generation of buyers.

randomspot555

Now all good things must sadly come to an end at some point,

This isn't true.

as I can't really see them making more pokemon games 200 years from now.

Sherlock Holmes has been around since 1887. Not quite 200 years but we're getting close.

So when exactly do you think they will stop,

When it stops making money..

Ausgirl

I can't see Pokemon ending anytime soon cos it's still making money and the fanbase is still strong.

Bananarama

The light is coming
Money=continuation
No $=end.

Allen10

I think the most likely answer is found in looking at series like Mario and Zelda. I think Pokemon will continue to make games indefinitely. They may slow down, like the Mario Bros series did, but there will always be a new game to come out eventually. It makes me wonder though when they will run out of ideas for new Pokemon.

Aura Guardian Ash

Aura Guardian
Pokemon will go on as long as they make money, which Nintendo is still doing. However, in my opinion, it eventually does have to have an end because it is difficult to keep on extending a series of games and such for a really long period of time. They will eventually start losing money because more and more people will either forget about Pokemon or never get into it like the people from the 90's to now are into it.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
Pokemon will go on forever, nuff said.
As along it makes $ we are all fine with it. The anime and other spinoff franchise might end, but, I don't see the games ending for A LOOONG TIME. I expect pokemon to become a classic game like how mario is. 50 gens later people will look back and say Pokemon was such an orginial concept and we don't see it going any time soon.

Pikafleg

Twenty-Six!
Probably when enough of the creators grow old and die, and there aren't enough new people who want to keep making the series, I'd assume. I'd love to hope it never happens, but it probably will. Another way it might happen though is if another similar series (far better than digimon lol :p) comes around and is much more popular (as if that could happen :p but who the heck knows). Yeah, that's what I'd say. But for now, long live ;025; (and the other 648)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
It'll probably last a very long time, as it's the biggest video game franchise only behind Mario. How they handle making new Pokemon is a mystery. A big thing about the games was discovering new Pokemon, and now we are nearing 1000, its up to GF when they want to stop, maybe they will skip brand new Pokemon one generation, and then release another. Its hard to tell.

But, they can always keep the RPG's fresh and new, and there are always new spin-off's they could make. It's a huge company now, and I doubt they are going any where.

WastingLight

I'm fine if they make new gens, but I don't think I would be as interested in those new gens as I am today, but I do agree that the series will continue on until they can no longer make enough profit from them.

Ditto B1tch

I'm fine if the series ends soon. I really can't imagine they making new generations after 200 years, they would create new spin-off games with a dozen of new Pokemons, not a new generation. In Gen 9, for example, we'll have a lot of remakes and a new generation would come after 8 years instead 4 as normally has been by now.

randomspot555

However, in my opinion, it eventually does have to have an end because it is difficult to keep on extending a series of games and such for a really long period of time.

No it isn't.

They will eventually start losing money because more and more people will either forget about Pokemon or never get into it like the people from the 90's to now are into it.

.......this makes no sense at all.

Probably when enough of the creators grow old and die,and there aren't enough new people who want to keep making the series, I'd assume.

Many of the original creators are no longer involved in the day-to-day work on the games.

*gasp* its almost like they have an entire company working on them or something!

epicmonster037

I've always loved Pokémon, but I would be alright with the series ending. That was exactly what I thought back in the fall, that I would not be upset at all if Black and White 2 had been the final games of the franchise, because I just enjoyed them so much and they had lots to do. It's usually better for a franchise to end happily while people still enjoy it.

However, I do certainly welcome Gen VI, and any others to come.

Flame Mistress

They'll stop when 1) they run out of ideas for Pokemon 2) fans complain and don't buy the games and 3) the franchise stops making money.

Even if the creator of Pokemon himself dies, the franchise will still live on, whether it keeps on making money or not.

dragonskull

Dark trainer
As far as I can tell, they're still quite not finished with pokemon (same goes for games like mario which is even 10 years older than pokemon). I think a major step would be that there would be an continuous world with all regions which can get updated (like adding a zone) with or without a fully supported multplayer (which I recon to be not for the 3DS era but maybe WII U or the fullow up of the 3DS handhelds)

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Pokemon is the second biggest game franchise in the world at this point. So it's not going to end anywhere near soon.

Some people for some reason seem to assume there will be some sort of end, or that Game Freak will 'run out of ideas'. What sort of franchise would announce its ending? Aside from it making no sense, they would be closing off any avenue for future games, what is the point? Even if generation of new Pokemon slows for a while, there are many, MANY other avenues that could be visited in terms of games. Pokemon is still pretty much as strong as it always has been in terms of the fact that I know a majority of people that are going to buy a Nintendo 3DS PURELY for Pokemon, myself included.

The sole reason why Pokemon would ever stop is if people don't buy it anymore, which I cannot see happening for decades at least. If we're talking about Pokemon ending we may as well talk about most gaming franchises ending.

dragonskull

Dark trainer
Pokemon is the second biggest game franchise in the world at this point. So it's not going to end anywhere near soon.

Some people for some reason seem to assume there will be some sort of end, or that Game Freak will 'run out of ideas'.

The sole reason why Pokemon would ever stop is if people don't buy it anymore, which I cannot see happening for decades at least. If we're talking about Pokemon ending we may as well talk about most gaming franchises ending.

Indeed this, I've seen this a lot when I still played WoW, there were also alot of threads going on about how WoW would die and such stuff. If something as big as pokémon ends, I'm pretty sure gaming as we know it will also have ended ;-)

TheOriginalOne

オリジナル
Just for you to have an idea, today I was going to start the same thread, also with a very elaborated text: proves that nowadays people have been starting to be much more concerned about that matter! And what do I blame? Generation VI, also. I really think Generation V should have been here for much more, at least until a RSE remake and a RBY re-remake. Oh, talking about remakes, that's also a problem: in order to prevent stories from disappearing, a game should always be remade... do you imagine this going on for a long term?
Still, I can't imagine a world without pokémon, and so I'm thinking about a solution like yours, but without adding any new pokémon, being the only difference between generations an increase of quality. However, I preview it may not be enought for preventing an increase of the ROM hacks. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but the problem is that they are unofficial games, which process of making involves an illegal download (making a software for creating games from scratch could be a solution to this last point, but there's the unofficial problem).
Despite all of this, I don't think pokémon is going to end, because there are always creative solutions...