• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Predictions for the end

When do you think it will end

• I'm fine with it ending soon

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • They should at least take it to the double digits or 1000 pokemon

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Never, the series should continue forever

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I'm fine with a few new gens and some spin-offs and remakes

Votes: 37 25.5%

• Total voters

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
As long as it's popular I don't see the series ending anytime soon.

I think it'll end sometime soon(within about 5 years). Making new pokemon and regions only works for so long.

Ausgirl

I think the most likely answer is found in looking at series like Mario and Zelda. I think Pokemon will continue to make games indefinitely. They may slow down, like the Mario Bros series did, but there will always be a new game to come out eventually. It makes me wonder though when they will run out of ideas for new Pokemon.

I doubt pokemon will continue 'indefinately' but I think we can expect pokemon to go on for a few more generations, at least.

It'll be cool if pokemon ever become a classic like Mario -after all Mario games feature new worlds and levels for players to explore. However unlike pokemon the games often feature the same enemies like Bowser etc and a similiar storyline which always begins with Princess Peach being kidnapped. While new characters and items are introduced from time to time Nintendo doesn't have to worry about creating x amount of new characters for each game. Which is why Mario has been featured in over 200 video games. The Zelda games on the other hand take place in the same world which means that its less of a strain to make new games since the people behind it mainly need to focus on the storyline, a couple of new creatures and other characters. The Zelda series now includes 18 games and numerous remakes for that matter.

Probably when enough of the creators grow old and die, and there aren't enough new people who want to keep making the series, I'd assume. I'd love to hope it never happens, but it probably will. Another way it might happen though is if another similar series (far better than digimon lol :p) comes around and is much more popular (as if that could happen :p but who the heck knows). Yeah, that's what I'd say. But for now, long live ;025; (and the other 648)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

They can always be replaced with new game designers.

It'll probably last a very long time, as it's the biggest video game franchise only behind Mario. How they handle making new Pokemon is a mystery. A big thing about the games was discovering new Pokemon, and now we are nearing 1000, its up to GF when they want to stop, maybe they will skip brand new Pokemon one generation, and then release another. Its hard to tell.

But, they can always keep the RPG's fresh and new, and there are always new spin-off's they could make. It's a huge company now, and I doubt they are going any where.

True. As for new pokemon there's plenty of animals which haven't made it into the pokemon universe. Also I've seen a lot of people complaining that Fennekin looks too much like Ninetales, frankly I don't see the comparison other than both pokemon being based of foxes -there's more than one type of fox in the real world so what's wrong with this being implemented in the game?

Last edited:
It'll keep going until it stops making money.

Although I'd see it happening that they'd slow down with the new gens. Releasing new ones over a longer time span than they do now, although that's probably quite some generations away and that they'd focus more on spin-offs and remakes. But yeah, it'll only stops if it isn't profitable anymore, which won't happen in a long time if you look at the amount of sales when they release a new version.

Aside from all points previously made:
I imagine that sometime in the future, some storyline (games, manga, movie, w/e) will involve someone other than Ash fighting this massive enemy, creating a world-destroying explosion. Unlike DBZ, there's only 1 inhabitable planet, so...

penguinofhonor

Bay Watcher
Pokemon will go on in some form as long as Nintendo does.

I could definitely see some serious revamps happening eventually, though. The sort of stuff that happens in any series that goes on for long enough. There could be a compatibility break like in RS, complete with a huge mechanical rework. There might be an overhaul of all the lore and characters like they do in comic books every once in a while. Heck, eventually some spinoff series might become more popular than the main series. They come out with a new spinoff franchise, what, every three years or so? The next Ranger or Mystery Dungeon might be wildly popular.

The main Pokemon series might die, but only if something else takes its place.

Professor Squirtle

Professor of Rain
Whenever the Earth hypothetically explodes or another insert-apocalyptic-event-here occurring. I predict that, as technological advancement increases and civilization develops, our available force against such harbingers will protect us more strongly. So, perhaps never.

Last edited:

Hilda

It should never end! Those who do not like it can leave when ever they want to. Who says all good thing must come to an end anyway? It doesn't.

Cutty

Forever now
^Agree, I want it never ends like my other fave things (One Piece for instance).

But nothing lasts forever.

Zachmac

It makes me wonder though when they will run out of ideas for new Pokemon.
There are an infinite amount of possibilities, and plenty of graphic designers who would be willing to get a handful of cash from the selling of a popular game series.

If one staff member runs out of ideas, they'll simply be replaced.

I said they'll at least make the two digits in the poll, since I can't see anything lasting forever, but it may go well over 30 generations. Or more. I wouldn't be surprised if I never got to see the day it ends.

Last edited:

Emily101

Froakie Trainer
Honestly, Pokemon will be around long after we are all gone. It is an absolutely huge franchise worldwide. So long as Nintendo exists, Pokemon exists. Even if Nintendo ever go bust then I'm sure it would be taken over like Sega was and Pokemon will continue anyways (like Sonic)

Ace of Shades

I believe the games series will end when we get real life pokemon because who would want to play pokemon games when you have a real one right next to you?

General_Ridley

Palace Maven Spenser
Well, there's the eventual heat death of the universe, or, to use an event humanity may actually survive long enough to witness, the day when the sun runs out of hydrogen and begins expanding into a red giant and encompasses Earth's orbit so that the planet is utterly destroyed. So yeah, it will come to an end someday.

When I can't tell you. Any time from tomorrow to 4.5 billion years from now is my official guess.

master of murkrow

Shiny Hunter
I think the most likely answer is found in looking at series like Mario and Zelda. I think Pokemon will continue to make games indefinitely. They may slow down, like the Mario Bros series did, but there will always be a new game to come out eventually. It makes me wonder though when they will run out of ideas for new Pokemon.

When pokemon was created there were not 151 pokemon made. even before pokemon Red/Blue came out there were already over 1000 pokemon created and those were put into groups(generations) thats also why some pokemon have no evolution in 1st gen games but do in 4th gen games(like magmar).

This explains also why some pokemon look alot alike(Klink and Magnemite have a lot in common)(Blitzle and Ponyta)

so they wont be running out of pokemon for at least 5-10 years

Ausgirl

When pokemon was created there were not 151 pokemon made. even before pokemon Red/Blue came out there were already over 1000 pokemon created and those were put into groups(generations) thats also why some pokemon have no evolution in 1st gen games but do in 4th gen games(like magmar).

This explains also why some pokemon look alot alike(Klink and Magnemite have a lot in common)(Blitzle and Ponyta)

Can you back this up?

penguinofhonor

Bay Watcher
That's a pretty wild theory.

Especially when you consider that Pokemon design noticeably changes over time, and generations tend to have their own twist like the modern/urban designs in G5. Honestly, I think it would take more effort to design them in advance and plan out how'd they be split up than it would to just design them over the course of fifteen years.

Marceman

....What? No.