• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Prejudice Plus Power and Racism and Sexism

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Honestly Africa is a continent that's dealt with colonialism more than any other and it's not an easy solution to fix things regardless of what path you want.

The best cast example I can think of is post Civil War America in how we had former slaves get land from former slaveowners, only to basically deal with a lot of the same aspect they had before. How to deal with a culture that's been oppressed for literally centuries is something that isn't an easy answer, but to pass the blame I feel is the wrong solution, because it focuses on rewarding those who benefit from the status quo and focuses on making those who have dealt with the punishment getting as little as gain as possible.

EnglishALT

Maybe a better time to do land redistribution would have been as apartheid was ending, you are right it is a thorny issue and whites who have profited off apartheid should not have been able to keep their land. Yet almost 30 years later with a black ruling class in South Africa, and a generation of people now adults who had nothing to do with apartheid or may have not even been alive during it. The whole thing strikes me as retribution against a weaker minority class than proper land redistribution for those that suffered.

Last edited by a moderator:

chess-z

campy vampire
On a global scale, it's a white thing. And denying that it was a white thing literally directly extends the problem. Glad y'all didn't notice the bait.

Scammel

On a global scale, it's a white thing. And denying that it was a white thing literally directly extends the problem. Glad y'all didn't notice the bait.

Eurgh, this is outright erasure. Why are you trying to eradicate the histories of non-white people across the globe? What patronising rot.

EnglishALT

I guess I am adding a bit of local bias myself, living in Japan all I hear about is hatred for Koreans, largely because of the colonialist ambitions of Japan in the early 1900s, the constant use of issues such as comfort women during Japan's occupation in Korea before and during World War 2 has created a society of mutual hatred between two people who did not live during the occupation and or did not have any role in it.

In other words continuing to complain about things that happened generations ago, only helps perpetuate a new level of hate and anger.

I would also say it is important to remember that occupation and colonization of other people is not strictly a white thing, and for many cultures it does not involve whites at all.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I am very well aware of apartheid, however do you honestly believe a form of "reverse apartheid" in the taking of land with out compensation or recourse, almost 30 years later is now okay? They lack power, but if we are going by the new definition of racism, they are free to act in such a racist manner to not be classified as racist.

The issue of South Africa is an extremely tricky one.

Most, if not all, of the white citizens who live in South Africa are there because their ancestors and closer past relatives invaded and took over. It hasn't even been 30 years since Apartheid ended, so I'm certain it is still fresh on everyone's minds. I'm also certain that for some Xhosa and Zulu natives, seeing white citizens bothers them greatly. It is - in not the best way of putting it - like finally getting rid of a roach infestation, but you can still see the excrement on the walls. The white citizens are a byproduct of a terrible chain of events, and even though they are innocent, they technically do not belong in South Africa. Of course, it would be just plain shitty to tell innocent people to f*** off, and taking their farmland is just as bad.

As a Black American, I am strongly conflicted. Half of me is saying, "This isn't right. They aren't the ones who invaded and took the country." The other half is saying, "F*** it. It's their home; let the Xhosa and Zulus do what they want." Conversely, as an American I've always kept it in the back of my mind that if the Native Americans ever decided to rise up and take the nation back, I would not stop them. What right would I have to do so? That's kinda how I feel with the issue in South Africa.

Scammel

I'm also certain that for some Xhosa and Zulu natives, seeing white citizens bothers them greatly.

Perhaps they're simply better people than you think they are? Perhaps they can transcend your low expectations?

The white citizens are a byproduct of a terrible chain of events, and even though they are innocent, they technically do not belong in South Africa.

Uh, asides from being born in South Africa, you mean? Doesn't this mean that you're not technically American?

I love how you're just guessing that people in other countries must be ethnic nationalists.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Perhaps they're simply better people than you think they are? Perhaps they can transcend your low expectations?

Uh, asides from being born in South Africa, you mean? Doesn't this mean that you're not technically American?

I love how you're just guessing that people in other countries must be ethnic nationalists.

I'm not. I go only by what I see and what I am told. Yes, there are those Xhosa and Zulus who dislike it, just as there are Native Americans who dislike seeing whites (or anyone else) on their land. It's not "low expectations." It's realism. Clearly, this isn't something I should expect you to understand.

And yes, I am well aware that I live on stolen land. I know I don't actually belong. Unlike most, I am honest enough to admit that. Of course, simply leaving is an unrealistic solution, hence the dilemma I spoke of earlier.

MackBlasta

There is no need to put "levels" or double standards to the concept of bigotry and discrimination. Discrimination based on race/ethnicity is racism. Discrimination and bias based on sex/gender are sexism. It's really simple and clear-cut.