• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Preparations (Yuletide 2017 one-shot, G)

diamondpearl876

Written for Cutlerine, whose existence I appreciate greatly for many a reason. <3

Summary: Grandma Aster doesn't want Zinnia to miss out on her childhood completely for the sake of the Draconid clan.

PREPARATIONS

It’s summertime again. Just like at the end of every school year, Zinnia’s already lined up at the door, bouncing up and down in excitement with no less than five bags packed by her side. She urges the rest of the Draconid tribe to hurry up because she’s ready to leave meteor Falls now. Occasionally, she settles down long enough to peer out the window at the outside world, overcome by daydreams of the nights camping out in the sand and spending time trying to spot a glimpse of Rayquaza between the clouds.

The girl’s nine years old, and she’s rarely interacted with other kids her age, but every year she finds herself counting down the days, the hours, the minutes until school’s out with all of them anyway. The only difference is that she stares at the chalet cuckoo clock from her assigned spot at the kitchen table at home rather than at a digital clock from a real student desk with her own nametag on it. And while she knows vacations out to Castelia are all the rage these days and she’d really like to try their famous vanilla ice cream as the seashore waves wash over her feet, she’s more than content to perform her duties as the future lorekeeper of the Draconids.

Grandma Aster looks on, shaking her head but smiling anyway. Not even an hour has passed since she officially called off Zinnia’s lorekeeper lessons until the fall, so the girl will have to be patient a while longer. It’s a whole ordeal, preparing to travel halfway across Hoenn and live elsewhere for a solid three months. No one doubts the importance of what they’re doing, of course, and no one complains. Repairing the damage all the spring storms do to the Sky Pillar every year is necessary to appease Rayquaza and ensure it’ll return to save the region from danger if needed.

Still, a child’s curiosity can’t be helped, and really, Grandma Aster’s pleased at her successor’s eagerness to explore Rayquaza’s chosen resting place firsthand—even if the connection to her studies doesn’t click in her brain until she’s older. If she can quell any of the disappointment brought on by the big bad adults not taking her seriously, then…

Zinnia squeals when she feels Grandma Aster place a hand on her shoulder, then laughs.

“Don’t scare me like that!” She fakes a frown but ends up just laughing again.

“There, there,” Grandma Aster says, ruffling the girl’s hair to tease her more. “Let’s go outside, let you use up all that energy of yours.”

Zinnia’s eyes widen, her small fingers reaching toward the door expectantly. “Are we gonna get a head start?” she asks.

“Not quite. I just want to show you something you might like.”

“Okay!”

Grandma Aster places her hand over Zinnia’s. The two of them twist the brass doorknob, then step outside, past the front porch, and onto Route 114 leading up to Fallarbor. Zinnia races ahead, stopping and bending down to tear out some blades of grass while waiting for Grandma Aster to catch up. She rubs them between her fingers and lets them slowly fall back to the earth before continuing her sprint.

“You sure we’ve got time to go all the way into town?” Zinnia asks. Her voice is hardly audible when she’s facing away from Grandma Aster and putting more distance between them every second.

“We don’t need to.” Grandma Aster waves her hand around, motioning for the girl to keep on going.

And the two do just that. They keep on going, the occasional caw of a wild altaria emanating from afar and light gusts of wind rustling the trees. Layers of ash carried all this way from Mt. Chimney swirl in the air before being swept away elsewhere. Despite how much duller everything looks with all the layers of ash, nothing could be more perfect to Zinnia’s childlike, guileless eyes.

“I would like to visit Mt. Chimney someday, though…” Zinnia says, mostly to herself. Her walking pace slows.

Grandma Aster tilts her head. “Oh? I didn’t know you were interested.”

“Yeah, I’ve heard cool things about it. I overheard a group of kids say they’d give ten dollars to anyone who could stand being inside the volcano for an hour!”

Grandma Aster nods, smiling sadly. She’s not quite sure how aware Zinnia is of how much she talks about other kids. It’s heartbreaking, but understandable, given her being homeschooled and belonging to a vastly different culture. It’s not her fault by any means that everyone around Fallarbor—even tourists and trainers—usually distances themselves from Draconids as if socializing with the tribe will somehow end in disaster.

That’s why, as they near a fork in the road and hear cheering reminiscent of a parade, Grandma Aster points toward the noise and tells Zinnia to check it out. Zinnia, not needing an explanation to know this is an event she doesn’t want to miss out on, joins a crowd of people carrying backpacks, picnic blankets, and coolers. Realizing she has none of these things and is alone while the rest of the crowd has at least one person to tag along with, Zinnia backtracks toward Grandma Aster.

“What’s everyone here for, anyway?” she asks.

“Supposedly,” Grandma Aster starts, “Fallarbor’s contest hall is doing a battle reenactment today.”

“A battle… what?”

Grandma Aster leads Zinnia to the crowd again, her arm wrapped around the girl’s shoulder for reassurance. “Some performers worked hard to be able to put on a show today about the battle between Groudon and Kyogre. You remember them, don’t you?”

“Duh,” Zinnia says, rolling her eyes. “I hear about them too much! They’re important, I get it, but Rayquaza’s the most important.”

“And why is that, would you say?”

“You know, because Rayquaza proved how strong it is when it stopped the gods of land and sea from destroying each other! And we can count on summoning Rayquaza at the Sky Pillar whenever, what with the mega stone hidden and protected on the top floor.”

“All right, that’s enough of that, lest people overhear and get the wrong idea,” Grandma Aster says, holding a finger to her lips and grinning. “But you’re right, Zinnia. Fallarbor’s started doing this every June in the Draconids’ honor. We’d all be here if we didn’t have to start heading for the Sky Pillar tonight, but, well, that’s our priority, and the staff couldn’t change the date this year.”

Zinnia frowns and watches as a few women wearing bright orange vests wave their arms in the direction of the stage so that passersby know where there are seats available to get settled before the show begins. The women flash a wide smile at the kids marveling over the stalls ahead selling pokémon masks, a kiddy pool to cool down in when the heat picks up with water guns for added fun, a bonfire setup for after the show, and buffet tables offering varying types of foreign foods.

Zinnia looks up at Grandma Aster, eyes full of confusion. “I mean, I appreciate them doing this, but why?” she asks.

“Things change. Fallarbor’s residents are becoming more accepting with every passing year,” Grandma Aster replies, then pauses. “You should go watch, play with the kids, eat what you want. While you’re waiting for us.”

“Wait…”

Before Zinnia gets to finish her sentence, a young boy with shaggy brown hair and a lanky frame runs up to her. He’s barely able to stop himself in time from crashing into her, and his words come out as a stammer as he asks about the clothes she’s wearing.

Once again, Grandma Aster notices how Zinnia crosses her arms, her mouth agape in response to someone close to her age. To someone who’s not part of the tribe but seems accepting anyway. For a nine-year-old girl, she’s too suspicious for her own good sometimes.

Grandma Aster grabs the cream-colored cape from behind Zinnia’s back and holds up for her to see. “He might be interested in this,” she whispers. “Just tell him the story you always tell me.”

“O-Oh, right,” Zinnia says quietly, taking the cape and pulling it in front of her. “This?” she says to the boy.

“Yeah! Are you here for the show? Or… are you one of the Draconid dudes?”

Zinnia spreading it out so she can show off the way it looks like pokémon with giant teeth tried to wrench it away from her. “Yeah, I got into a fight with a hydreigon once. No big deal.”

She rubs the cape’s rough, grey collar between her fingers as the boy’s parents swoop in and ushered him away so he doesn’t get totally lost. If only everyone regarded her and other Draconids the same way all year round.

Zinnia looks at Grandma Aster again, her expression hopeful mixed with a twinge of loneliness.

“Like I said,” Grandma Aster urges, “you can go.”

Zinnia wraps her arms around Grandma Aster’s waist in an embrace and shouts, “Thank you!”

Wondering just how many kids she could impress if she tried to pass the stitched on pieces as real hydreigon scales, Zinnia bounds over to the performance stage, with Grandma Aster’s permission to simply live in the moment rather than daydreaming about it.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
This is such a sweet gift. Seriously, thank you. Like, it's about Zinnia, so I'm already on board, and then you incorporated an interpretation of Aster I'd never seen before -- which isn't just a cool thing to see, but a really lovely touch for a gift fic for me, given that I wrote an absurdly long fic about interpretation and how every single one that the source material supports is true, in its own way. And you dived deeply into who the Draconids are and what it means to be one, in real terms, as a person who exists in the world and walks among other people, which is just exactly the kind of thing I love. That you did it in so few words is really impressive.

It's also a story that sort of moves beyond itself, if that makes any sense. The story of Zinnia and Aster is a thing already, one that we know very well, and in this happy little fic you can see the shadow of the not-so-happy future -- the death, the turning upward of her face, the whismur, and eventually the confrontation on the Sky Pillar. You show us why Aster mattered so much, which is very cool.

Honestly, I feel like I'm gushing, but like I really like this, and thanks so much for writing it.

diamondpearl876

This is such a sweet gift. Seriously, thank you. Like, it's about Zinnia, so I'm already on board, and then you incorporated an interpretation of Aster I'd never seen before -- which isn't just a cool thing to see, but a really lovely touch for a gift fic for me, given that I wrote an absurdly long fic about interpretation and how every single one that the source material supports is true, in its own way. And you dived deeply into who the Draconids are and what it means to be one, in real terms, as a person who exists in the world and walks among other people, which is just exactly the kind of thing I love. That you did it in so few words is really impressive.

It's also a story that sort of moves beyond itself, if that makes any sense. The story of Zinnia and Aster is a thing already, one that we know very well, and in this happy little fic you can see the shadow of the not-so-happy future -- the death, the turning upward of her face, the whismur, and eventually the confrontation on the Sky Pillar. You show us why Aster mattered so much, which is very cool.

Honestly, I feel like I'm gushing, but like I really like this, and thanks so much for writing it.

Yo, I'm totally okay with gushing. XD I'm glad you liked it! As I said in my Discord messages I sent you a couple hours ago, I'm not totally used to writing something solely "fun" and fluffy and whatever other synonym you wanna use, but I tried for ya, haha. As for Zinnia... Well, when I saw your prompts included Zinnia, I had to jump on it since there's so much potential there with her, the Draconids, Rayquaza, and sooo much more. And of course, I loved your interpretation of her in Time and Tide, so I wanted to try to return the favor!

This was a really cute interpretation of Zinnia’s childhood! While I was already preparing (heh, get it? Because the title’s Preparations…yeah) for heartbreak once I realized why the grandma’s name was Aster, it went in a much lighter direction that you handle rather well.

I really like your description of Zinnia’s actions, in that you balance both her Draconid role and her childish wonder very well. I particularly like this paragraph:

Grandma Aster places her hand over Zinnia’s. The two of them twist the brass doorknob, then step outside, past the front porch, and onto Route 114 leading up to Fallarbor. Zinnia races ahead, stopping and bending down to tear out some blades of grass while waiting for Grandma Aster to catch up. She rubs them between her fingers and lets them slowly fall back to the earth before continuing her sprint.

...because of how vivid your language is, almost as if I could feel the blades of grass myself. Great job there!

There’s not really much to say in terms of criticism, but one thing that caught my eye in that regard is the last paragraph:

Wondering just how many kids she could impress if she tried to pass the stitched on pieces as real hydreigon scales, Zinnia bounds over to the performance stage, with Grandma Aster’s permission to simply live in the moment rather than daydreaming about it.

I’m 50/50 about that boldfaced bit. On one hand, it’s a good note to end on as we get to exactly why Grandma Aster brought Zinnia to the festival. But on the other hand, I think this was a little on-the-nose about what lesson Zinnia needed to learn and realize. I thought the part right before the boldfaced bit was written well, in that it shows Zinnia being able to blend together her Draconid duties with her childhood wonder. I guess I was looking for something like that with this very last bit.

But that’s really, really minor, and again, this is such a sweet story from start to finish. Great job with it! :)

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Ohmygod it's young Zinnia excuse me while I go squee loudly. XP

No, but seriously. If there's one thing I remember about Zinnia (besides how snarky she was), it's that she had boundless energy to her. And the opening paragraph captures that perfectly for me. Especially with, even at her age, her clear Rayquaza worshipping (I can't blame her, he's the best rocket ship dragon ever, 10/10). That said, it's also a bit bittersweet since she's clearly energetic about other kids despite not spending time with them (which is nifty, in that it's a bit of a call forward to how interested she is in Brendan/May come ORAS). Which, of course, makes it all the more heartwarming when she's able to go to that reenactment and actually, well, interact with someone else. I know I sound redundant, but despite the short length, this makes a lot of sense and really helps explain both her interest in speaking so much with everyone in the Delta Episode, but also her awkwardness around them (and somewhat lack of personal space issues because she just beats everyone up). So, yeah, headcanon accepted! XP

diamondpearl876

This was a really cute interpretation of Zinnia’s childhood! While I was already preparing (heh, get it? Because the title’s Preparations…yeah) for heartbreak once I realized why the grandma’s name was Aster, it went in a much lighter direction that you handle rather well.

Hey, there! Long time no see! Nice pun. ;)

Yeah, I'm used to writing more depressing stuff, so this was kind of a challenge. Glad to hear you thought I handled it well.

I really like your description of Zinnia’s actions, in that you balance both her Draconid role and her childish wonder very well. I particularly like this paragraph:

...because of how vivid your language is, almost as if I could feel the blades of grass myself. Great job there!

Yay, I did a good with my description! :p Anyway, even in the games, I always thought Zinnia had that childlike wonder, but didn't have the time or opportunity to express it given the magnitude of what was happening. So she obviously takes her role very seriously, but a kid's likely to let the wonder take over rather than the seriousness of their role.

There’s not really much to say in terms of criticism, but one thing that caught my eye in that regard is the last paragraph:

I’m 50/50 about that boldfaced bit. On one hand, it’s a good note to end on as we get to exactly why Grandma Aster brought Zinnia to the festival. But on the other hand, I think this was a little on-the-nose about what lesson Zinnia needed to learn and realize. I thought the part right before the boldfaced bit was written well, in that it shows Zinnia being able to blend together her Draconid duties with her childhood wonder. I guess I was looking for something like that with this very last bit.

But that’s really, really minor, and again, this is such a sweet story from start to finish. Great job with it! :)

Not gonna lie, I finished this after already having been awake for 24 hours. I was really struggling with that last line and would've put off finishing it if it didn't mean missing the Yuletide deadline. I thought it more important it at least got under the tree, lol

Ohmygod it's young Zinnia excuse me while I go squee loudly. XP

No, but seriously. If there's one thing I remember about Zinnia (besides how snarky she was), it's that she had boundless energy to her. And the opening paragraph captures that perfectly for me. Especially with, even at her age, her clear Rayquaza worshipping (I can't blame her, he's the best rocket ship dragon ever, 10/10). That said, it's also a bit bittersweet since she's clearly energetic about other kids despite not spending time with them (which is nifty, in that it's a bit of a call forward to how interested she is in Brendan/May come ORAS). Which, of course, makes it all the more heartwarming when she's able to go to that reenactment and actually, well, interact with someone else. I know I sound redundant, but despite the short length, this makes a lot of sense and really helps explain both her interest in speaking so much with everyone in the Delta Episode, but also her awkwardness around them (and somewhat lack of personal space issues because she just beats everyone up). So, yeah, headcanon accepted! XP

Yesss, I think she definitely had that boundless energy, and I figured a sense of wonder and wanting adventure would fit well with that. She definitely struck me as someone who'd had little interaction with people in her life but wanted to, so it was fun to write about that. Thanks for accepting my headcanon. XD

DreamSayer

Name's Adam.
I haven't read a lot of other people's Yuletide entries, but I must say that I'm glad I read this one in particular. I never knew reading a story about the childhood of a character like Zinnia would be something I'd come to enjoy, but that's only because you succeeded in making this short tale sweet and just right. I don't really have anything but praise for this. It was nice. It is nice.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Aaaaa, this is really cute! ^^ It made me realize that I don't remember nearly as much as I should about the Delta Episode in ORAS, which is a real shame because I feel like there's enough untapped potential in that arc to fill an entire game. I really wish we had more fic about Zinnia. But anyway, I really liked this look at her childhood! Lots of fun details, like Zinnia's take on the Rayquaza mythos and the way she excitedly talks about the other kids while also being suspicious when they actually do want to talk to her. Really convincing childishness from her, especially the bit where she's showing off her damaged cape to that boy, heh. And it all fits well with how she acts later on in ORAS too!

~Chibi~;249;;448;

ChloboShoka

Writer
This made me trigger a squee and made me feel happy because it reminded me of my late grandmother.

diamondpearl876

I haven't read a lot of other people's Yuletide entries, but I must say that I'm glad I read this one in particular. I never knew reading a story about the childhood of a character like Zinnia would be something I'd come to enjoy, but that's only because you succeeded in making this short tale sweet and just right. I don't really have anything but praise for this. It was nice. It is nice.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! ^^ It's been a while since I've written something so short, so glad to see I could make an impact with it.

Aaaaa, this is really cute! ^^ It made me realize that I don't remember nearly as much as I should about the Delta Episode in ORAS, which is a real shame because I feel like there's enough untapped potential in that arc to fill an entire game. I really wish we had more fic about Zinnia. But anyway, I really liked this look at her childhood! Lots of fun details, like Zinnia's take on the Rayquaza mythos and the way she excitedly talks about the other kids while also being suspicious when they actually do want to talk to her. Really convincing childishness from her, especially the bit where she's showing off her damaged cape to that boy, heh. And it all fits well with how she acts later on in ORAS too!

~Chibi~;249;;448;

You know, I don't remember that much, either. :p It felt like one of those things in the game that I thought had potential but it didn't quite live up to said potential in the end... like most things in the games, tbh. So it was fun trying to delve into that a bit deeper. ^^ Thanks for reading and commenting!

This made me trigger a squee and made me feel happy because it reminded me of my late grandmother.

Aw, this is a sweet comment. :3 Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
This is a nice little read here! Everyone else already mentioned how well you did Zinnia's energy and interactions with the kids and her grandomother there. I also want to add that I think it's neat you have Grandmother Aster be the other grandmother and I like her POV there. Great work!

diamondpearl876

This is a nice little read here! Everyone else already mentioned how well you did Zinnia's energy and interactions with the kids and her grandomother there. I also want to add that I think it's neat you have Grandmother Aster be the other grandmother and I like her POV there. Great work!

Thanks! Glad you liked it! :) Seeing a little kid's enthusiasm for the world is a nice feeling, so I enjoyed writing from that POV.