• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Prepare for crit, Proby...

Cece

First off, Yami isn't just *****ing about stuff, she's trying to help you. You could improve a lot if you listen, because she knows what she is talking about. This forum is NOT the place to be if you just want constant praise.

And this is the beginning of an absol evolution. I've only done the outline.
Absolevo-Abnuit.png

Well, I'm not that good at crits, hence my lack of presence at the forums.
So i made you a visual to make it easier on both you and myself. I'll try to make everything as clear as possible.
Absolevo-Abnuit-1.png

This was done quickly, so it's not perfect, but it should get the message across.

Frankly, your original was just not good at all. You don't have any perception of anatomy, and I couldn't even tell what the head was supposed to be (which is why I didn't change it).
First off, I want to emphasize the smoothness of the lineart. Now, don't go off at me and say it's a WIP; Your other scratches are like this, too. Even if the sprite is not drawn well, smooth lineart can make it look much, much better. This is not a talent. This takes practice. and practice is the only thing that will make it better.

Alright, now anatomy. I assumed this to be something like a bear, so that is what I based it off of. Apologies if that was not what you intended it to be.

The shoulders are way too high. NEVER should anything have shoulders higher than it's head. It's unnatural, as everything has somewhat of a neck. The arms are oddly attached.. you have them thinner at the base, while they should either be thicker or about the same thickness as the rest of the arm. The torso is.. oddly shaped. It's shaped like a cone. While the torso on many things may get thinner as it goes down, that is way too extreme. Notice on mine that the torso is pretty much uniform length all the way down.
The legs are much, much, too close together. A result of the torso being to thin at the bottom. They are also too straight- legs are supposed to bend. So are arms, actually, but since this is pokemon it's easy to just make them curve a bit- it will still look fine. The way the tail attaches to the body makes this thing look like a lizard. Notice I have a line connecting the two legs.. You should do that too. The feet positioning is awkward. I don't know how to really explain this.. looks like he's twisted, I guess. I wouldn't copy/paste absol's feet, if I were you. Try drawing your own, good scratch practice.

Alright, that's all. Just practice a bit more.
I suggest figuring out what kind of animal your pokemon is going to look like, and then searching up pictures of that animal for pose reference, or using actual pokemon sprites.

Response to comments
It's coloured because I like colour and because I was angry and wanted to triple-emphasize it.

Whatever. You now know that it is a WIP.

As a matter of fact, I DID touch the elephant in the previous thread, if I showed you the difference you would agree with me. The outline and the shape of the elephant. As you pointed out, it's gone from a four legged thing with mouse ears into an elephant.

This isn't about playing "cards". That is actually what has happened before to me in certain things, such as Rugby. People kept telling me I was rubbish without actually helping me, so I quit. Same goes with spriting.

They're not bad, they're just not up to the stupidly high standards you have. And I never demanded anything. I said that I'd like it if...

Thanks for the help with the humanshape thing.

EDIT: Thanks for the crit Cece.
Well, you're correct about anatomy; I don't have any idea really. Abnoche (The name for it) is supposed to be a standing-up cat, because that's sort of what Absol looks like to me. Hopefully with the edit in this post, I hope I've covered what you've mentioned in particular.

WIPs
I'll do this each post from now on. On each of my WIPs, I'll put what the current sprite looks like.

Abnoche (Absol evolution)
http://i50.*******.com/2rqc391.jpg
Dark/Steel type
--- Pokemon (cannot think of one at present)
Evolves from Absol at night time holding the Night stone.

Ellash
http://i45.*******.com/67l3dk.jpg
Fire type
Elephant calf Pokemon
Evolves into Elecinder at level 15

Staffin
http://i48.*******.com/6h4zr9.jpg
Electric/Fly type
Puffin Pokemon
Evolves into Lightfin at level 24

Steeleon
http://i47.*******.com/15nq3pj.jpg
Steel Type
Metal Pokemon
Evolves from Eevee at the top of Iron Hill/Holding Iron Stone

Others
NONE ATM.

Last edited:

M4zz

Banned
Stafin is way too disproportional. It has one of its wings and one of its legs much larger than the other, respectivly. your Absol evo WIP isn't bad, but isn't great either. Again, parts are disproportional. Try scratching a bit more aroung the midsection, arms, and shoulders. Keep trying1
~PK

Yami Ryu

This isn't about playing "cards". That is actually what has happened before to me in certain things, such as Rugby. People kept telling me I was rubbish without actually helping me, so I quit. Same goes with spriting.

So instead of bothering to attempt to better yourself or improve, you're going to QQ and quit? And if you give up so easily over Rugby or anything then perhaps you shouldn't be doing it or attempting to do it seriously? Some things take dedication and practice. Other things, you just aren't cut out for them.

They're not bad, they're just not up to the stupidly high standards you have. And I never demanded anything. I said that I'd like it if...

No. Proby they ARE bad. And you are NOT improving them. I am not going to coddle you and hold your hand and tell you that oh you're improving miniscule amounts, but hey you're improving!

And yes you ARE demanding. You are basically throwing a tantrum because I've 'not said one good thing about your sprites' and you throw out Well this and this happened to me and you're acting just like them-. Get over it. If life hasn't prepared you to handle failure by now, you're not going to do well in real life. And you want sob stories? I could give you, sob stories. But this isn't the place for it.

And Cece gave you a damn fine example of what you need to start doing Proby, and then you just... the Absol outline is still as horrid as it was the first time :/

Seriously COMPARE THE QUALITY OF ALL OF YOUR SCRATCHES TO OFFICIAL SPRITES. They have very little correct shading, even when you used official sprites finally for a base example of how something should be shaded. You seem to not care at all if the proportions of the sprite don't mix up or if the sprite even looks, natural. You seem to speed the outlines out and never really go back to touch it. This is what I meant about your elephant. Because all it feels like is you enlarged the old sprite.

But yeah if you're just going to throw a tantrum and sob I'm not going to bother anymore. You already are trying to lay the blame on others for quitting a sport you obviously weren't cut out to do, atleast at the moment. And now you are trying to lay blame on me if 'you give up on spriting' because I'm not going to pat you on the head and give you false praise :/

Last edited:
Other things, you just aren't cut out for them.
So you ARE telling me to quit!

And Cece gave you a damn fine example of what you need to start doing Proby, and then you just... the Absol outline is still as horrid as it was the first time :/
Cece posted a few inutes before me, so I had to go and do a quick edit to include her. What I did was based on your crit the previous post.

This is what I meant about your elephant. Because all it feels like is you enlarged the old sprite.
But I don't get what you mean. "Enlarged it"? In what sense?

But yeah if you're just going to throw a tantrum and sob I'm not going to bother any more.
Then why do you bother? God, if you have that attitude towards me then just GO away! I am REALLY sick of you, because all you do, IN MY EYES, is spam up my threads and don't help me. This may not be the case to other people, but I AM the sort of person who needs a little word of praise here or there, just a little, because otherwise I get the impression that every stinking thing I do in my life has no meaning, and that I'm rubbish at everything. I have a short fuse and I'm very sensitive, and whilst I can take a degree of crit, your style is something that I can't deal with easily.

So please, just **** off.

Anyway, WIPs
Will edit later with updates.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
Can i slot in here please?
i will only crit & praise one
steeleon
first of, all i love the idea as its hard to make steel pokemon that
are all ready done.
first of all, the shading is a bit off
if its the color of the 'steel' then use more 'metal' colors
eg-use them off steelix or something. or making it more robotic
also steeleon suffers from something a like to call cornerage
basically, the edges are very 'square' and need to be rounded off
i will try to give you an example for you once my computer
loads quicker

i hope this help on this one

aslo dont quit:)

tomthepom

ok, heres a bit of praise to start, i like your idea's, i've never seen a puffin (is that what they're called?) pokemon, so that is new to me and i like that :).

and hey, don't worry, we all start from somewhere, when Yami first gave me crit, i thought it was harsh too, but then i went back an read it a few times and it started to click, i made some new sprites, again they were crap, but it wasn't until the other day, after about 2 years of spriting, while watching my friend. Everything suddenly clicked, i understood shading and everything. so just be patient and in time, things will come.

now for some more crit:

I like the steel eevee evo, it's been done a lot before, but dont take offence to the next thing i say, but it looks kinda basic, and thats what i like about it, other's have blades and what-not stuffed onto them. I like what you've done by just making it look like it's metal.

Abnoche, i like the idea, maybe, instead of scratching it, you might want to try a fusion of other things first, to get a general idea of what it would look like, then try and scratch over that. That's what i do when i can't get an idea right, and it really seems to help.

so i hope these tips help you, have a good christmas :)

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
Ok, so I am no good at spriting. However, I do have an artisic eye. I will try to help you and give you some advice if you will listen.

Ok first of all Kudos on the idea of a Puffin pokemon. It's unique and I haven't seen it before.
HOWEVER.
You seriously need to work on the sprite. The lineart seems incredibly wobbly, the head not even being a perfect sphere. Lineart usually follows a pattern of dots. I'll try and show you what I mean.
This is what a sphere is meant to look like. Notice the dots are follow a pattern to make the perfect sphere shape?
Now this is a messy sphere, like your puffin. Notice how broken the shape is, with dots all over the place.
Try to use smooth curving shapes rather than rushed jagged ones.

Now for the shading. Like many other posters have said, you need to pick a light source and stick with it. I'll show you what I mean.

shading.png

Now, lets say my crappily drawn sun is our light source. That means our highlights (the lightest colour) is closest to that area. The darkest colour (shadow) is the furthest away, because that's how shadow behaves.

Same goes for most of your other sprites, really. Hope this helps at least a little. :/