• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pride discourse.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Not inherently and "mostly always" are completely different things, you don't get to rules lawyer because you didn't deal in complete absolutes.

Also one thing is you have to judge things in today's values by today's groups. You can look at things historically, but the lens of today is constantly evolving, and clothes/fashion is arguably one of the most rapidly changing things among all groups.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I can't believe you're victim blaming BDSM people.
You make no sense. The user said that the other users talking points are USED in conversations concerning victim blaming not that he was explicitly victim blaming as well. This joke isn’t funny and quite corny tbh. If you’re going to do black humor at least make it a bit funny.

bobjr

Staff member
If you're going to argue something happens 90%+ percent of the time but leave in a technicality to get out of it when questioned on, that's not exactly great for discussion of a real world issue. Because no one is realistically going to expect something to happen 100% of the time no exceptions.

It's why high school debate tactics really do suck when brought to real life issues, it's the equivalent of:

"Their are huge systemic issues in society"
"You wrote their instead of there so the point is wrong"

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Connection does not equal correlation. You’re connecting two different topics in attempt to twist my words and I won’t allow you to do that. What I’m saying is if any situation is aversely sexual in nature than it is not appropriate for young children. I don’t find pride to be over sexual for the most part but I can’t speak for every event because I’m not everywhere in the world. You seem to have no problem with children being exposed to adults having sex and that’s your own thing you have to figure out but don’t try to make it seem like I’m calling gay men pe** when I never said that to make a point. If kinkisters are doing certain actions that is overly sexual then no children should not be present. I’m not sure how that’s calling it pedophilic or where you got that from. Are you implying that if someone doesn’t want to kids exposed to things of sexual nature they must think the person who’s preforming the sex act is a pe**? Where is that coming from?
Kind of a wide take, and one I really don't agree with. It all depends on context. Having adults present to provide proper context gives a very different effect to kids looking at XXX sites and that being their only impression of what sex is like. It's like only seeing action movies like Fast and Furious or James Bond or w/e while growing up and then being handed a car without ever even having been a part of actual real traffic. Anyone can tell that's going to go wrong. This is why sexual education is so important, in a broader sense than telling them where babies come from. Teaching them about love, consent, personal boundaries, and yes, LGBT, etc. all that next to teaching them about contraception and the actual anatomy (and probably before). Yet for some reason a portion of parents don't want to and some schools don't do it or don't do it beyond just teaching them where babies come from and the physical anatomy. With proper sexual education children are much better prepared to place things in context without it being their only impression. It's not so much being exposed it (aside from actual abusing the kids themselves obviously), it's it being the majority or only impression they have that shapes their view of it as a whole.

Let me bring this a bit back to the topic of pride. Is pride going to be the best and only place for kids to get sexual education? Hell no, that's not what the event is there for, that's not its purpose. Just like James Bond isn't an instruction video on how to drive cars safely, and it shouldn't be treated as such. But if you excessively try to keep kids away from anything sexual on the belief that it is inherently dangerous, then exposure to such events might shape their impression of it as they don't have a lot of foundation to give it proper context. Sex and sexuality are part of human nature (for at least most people), keeping them completely away from it for their childhood under the belief that it's inherently dangerous to them is ill-preparing them for when they reach teenage years or adulthood when they're going to be encountering it anyway, either through their own hormones or through events surrounding them.

Last edited:

bobjr

Staff member
So you came into a thread about Pride and it's real world effects, along with how outside groups manipulate how it's looked at and perceived, only to make posts to pull a gotcha "Well I'm not technically wrong about internal logic in the statement because I gave myself an out"?

There's honestly not a whole lot of difference between "All kink outfits are sexual" and "90%+ of kink outfits are sexual" too. If a place gets rain 100% of the time and another gets it 90% of the time, I would say both are very wet places to be.

But that post about how some people who aren't in the LGBT community like to come in to LGBT issues to try and justify things for themselves only does make a lot more sense now.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Doesn't a kink mean a sexual taste? Doesn't that mean all kinks are sexual by nature.
Yeah none of this made any sense. Just say you subscribe to misogynistic thinking and go. It's funny how if someone were say your entire nonsensical post was fake outrage you would call it homophobia but you're free to do that? You don't speak for women or any individual for that matter. Kink wear for all intent purposes are mostly always sexual. The very def of kink is "unconventional sexual taste or behavior". How about you stop doing "whataboutisms" and actually explain your thoughts because it's getting weird. Like I said all you're doing is saying that it's okay to control people's sexual agency.
Look at you, trying to accuse a mod of being a misogynist while also make yourself look like the champion of women. What does mostly always even mean? Those words contradict each other. If you think weasel words will help you "win" a debate, you're sadly mistaken.

@Sham

You're still refusing to engage with the point, though.

If adult sexuality at pride is bad, if kink is adverse sexual behavior damaging to kids, what about other articles of clothing which have been assigned a primarily sexual purpose? Okay, you talked me down from using the word "explicitly" to primarily, what a grand victory for you - but the point is still the same and doesn't lose its potency in its purpose to expose your double standards. If you retort that these articles of clothing aren't explicitly sexual, then neither are kink outfits.

One way or another you're going to have to address the point that you have a double standard that you are unjustly applying to queer people, or take the extreme/ridiculous on its face position that those articles of clothing are necessarily as bad as kink wear.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
So you came into a thread about Pride and it's real world effects, along with how outside groups manipulate how it's looked at and perceived, only to make posts to pull a gotcha "Well I'm not technically wrong about internal logic in the statement because I gave myself an out"?

There's honestly not a whole lot of difference between "All kink outfits are sexual" and "90%+ of kink outfits are sexual" too. If a place gets rain 100% of the time and another gets it 90% of the time, I would say both are very wet places to be.

But that post about how some people who aren't in the LGBT community like to come in to LGBT issues to try and justify things for themselves only does make a lot more sense now.
Are you assuming based on what the users stances are on this topic that they must not be apart of the LGBT community? I’ve been given nothing by what they said to think they are aren’t. It seems like you do however.
Doesn't a kink mean a sexual taste? Doesn't that mean all kinks are sexual by nature.
Yes which is why it is questionable why it’s being compared to bikinis, bras and heels. I didn’t know if I decided to wear heels that means I must be trying to look sexual that day.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Kind of a wide take, and one I really don't agree with. It all depends on context. Having adults present to provide proper context gives a very different effect to kids looking at XXX sites and that being their only impression of what sex is like. It's like only seeing action movies like Fast and Furious or James Bond or w/e while growing up and then being handed a car without ever even having been a part of actual real traffic. Anyone can tell that's going to go wrong. This is why sexual education is so important, in a broader sense than telling them where babies come from. Teaching them about love, consent, personal boundaries, and yes, LGBT, etc. all that next to teaching them about contraception and the actual anatomy (and probably before). Yet for some reason a portion of parents don't want to and some schools don't do it or don't do it beyond just teaching them where babies come from and the physical anatomy. With proper sexual education children are much better prepared to place things in context without it being their only impression. It's not so much being exposed it (aside from actual abusing the kids themselves obviously), it's it being the majority or only impression they have that shapes their view of it as a whole.

Let me bring this a bit back to the topic of pride. Is pride going to be the best and only place for kids to get sexual education? Hell no, that's not what the event is there for, that's not its purpose. Just like James Bond isn't an instruction video on how to drive cars safely, and it shouldn't be treated as such. But if you excessively try to keep kids away from anything sexual on the belief that it is inherently dangerous, then exposure to such events might shape their impression of it as they don't have a lot of foundation to give it proper context. Sex and sexuality are part of human nature (for at least most people), keeping them completely away from it for their childhood under the belief that it's inherently dangerous to them is ill-preparing them for when they reach teenage years or adulthood when they're going to be encountering it anyway, either through their own hormones or through events surrounding them.
Oh I totally agree with everything you said. Children should know about sex. This includes straight sex, gay sex, lesbian sex and everything else under the sun but under a controlled environment with trusted adults. Just exposing them to anything that’s sexual and labeling it as good is not right in my personal opinion and I think it’s a clear difference between saying “I don’t think children should be exposed to adults displaying sex with other adults” and “I don’t want my children knowing about sex period”. And I’ve kept the same same energy with heterosexual people. I think it’s extremely weird when straight people say “oh he’s going be a lady killer when he grows up and get all the girls watch out!”. It’s like let kids be kids. My initial problem with OP’s post was implying that children need be around where adult sex is going on not should children be at pride because it’s too sexual.

"implying that children need to be around where adult sex is going on"

lol you absolute **** heel.

I call upon the integrity of the audience to highlight where I ever implied that.

Baby doll I was never a mod. I'm too temperamental lol.

I don't really have a definition to be honest, I just know they aren't inherently sexual. I guess I would describe it as an affinity/fixation considered socially bizarre that someone adopts as part of their identity. A fetish on the other hand is something that's inherently sexual.

Peter Quill

star-lord
Have you ever really stopped and thought about how and why this is a hot button topic of conversation? tbh I've largely been ignoring pride discourse and focusing on other things, but when I sit down and think about it I cant help but smirk a little because this honestly and truly is just old fashioned homophobia at its root. It's interesting to see how homophobia evolves over time and I personally think we're currently in the middle of a shift in tactic.

Sex is, and forever will be, a core feature of the LGBT+ identity and community. There is absolutely no way to avoid this at its basic fundamental level. Heterosexual people are attracted exclusively to the opposite sex. Same sex attracted couples exclusively are attracted to the same sex. Bisexual people are attracted to both (and also defined as attraction/sex to any sex or gender identity). Transgender people's gender identity does not align with their sex at birth (I am not trans so I do not fully claim to know the trans experience so feel free to correct me or add colour when needed). If you had to teach someone who has never heard of what a gay person is you would tell them "Gay people are attracted to the same sex" or something similar. While we carve out basic concepts it is also important to remember that, by default, there are less LGBT+ people than straight people.

Straight people and LGBT+ are categorically separate. We understand this. Naturally. the LGBT+ community will evolve in a way that is different than its mainstream counterpart. As sex and sexual topics are what currently separates us, it is a topic that is talked about frequently. A subculture formed. This culture is one that experiences sex in a different way, and has sexual experiences that are different than straight people. . This evolves into numerous different subcultures, who compound this effect by talking about their experiences. These varied experiences due to our fundamental difference led to the LGBT+ community talking about sex and sexual topics more openly and frankly.

I won't get too into the weeds of gay history as a whole. My experience is pretty Western centric so this is what I can speak to. Also btw whenever I say "gay people" just assume greater LGBT+ it's late and I have work tomorrow.

Gays aren't really liked at first. Keep in mind that there are less gay people than straight people by default. Serious homophobia develops in mainstream culture. Countries go ahead and make being gay illegal. As there are less gay people than straight people by default they quite literally cannot avoid this. Homophobia and transphobia evolved and further existed in forms such as: workplace discrimination, housing discrimination, and medical discrimination. It also evolved to a point where gay people were subject to physical and sexual violence. Ultimately many gay people were killed simply for being gay. It is very difficult to live your life as a gay person due to the way mainstream society treats you.

Then there's a shift. Something monumental just happened. Pride was formed. The circumstances and events surrounding this phenomenon are different in each country, but the overarching theme is that gay people exist in this world and have a right to exist just like everybody else. This is so major that it completely redefines the social quo. Gay people, a group of people who are categorically different due to our sexual experiences, can exist in mainstream society as well. Pride parade and celebrations to then become a very large part of gay culture due to the significance of the event. Of course, sexual topics are in the parade, as these topics are fundamentally a part of the gay identity.

But homophobes don't like the gay identity. They would rather not have to face it.
And how do you achieve that goal? Think of the children.

362177.jpg

It's genius. It's a frustrating tactic to deal with because it's very effective. Think about it, everyone has to go through this critical stage of development. Childhood is an introduction into exploring the complexities of the world, but most importantly it is a stage where you are dependent on others for your survival. Everyone can understand that a child cannot survive on their own because we have all experienced it in some shape or form.

It's a very simple premise. "Gay people will sexually abuse your children". Everyone understands that A) Child sexual abuse is horrible and B) People who sexually abuse children are horrible. But think about the deeper implications. Sex is fundamental to the gay identity. Straight people understand that so it's very easy for mainstream society to grasp onto the wrong idea of gay people being child sexual abusers. While this is clearly wrong, well meaning people want to do what's best for their children. This makes it a difficult notion to fight.

There's then a shift in mainstream acceptance of the gay community. Most people understand that gay people are not inherently sexual predators. Displaying outward homophobia is frowned upon now. More eyes are on the community at this point and that's obviously is going to lead to more discussion about gay people in greater society. The pride parade, becoming more mainstream, is of bigger focus in society's consciousness as a whole. Our pride parade with all our crazy sexuality is broadcast to many, deepening society's collective understanding about gay people. It's safe to say that most people understand that sex is a large part about gay culture.

At one point in a child will have to learn about sex, sexuality, and eventually about gay people. Since everyone understands that child sexual abuse is so horrible, people generally don't want to introduce children to sex. But we know that sex and sexual topics are FUNDAMENTALLY a part of the gay identity. But liking gays is ok now. How do you reconcile these two ideas? Well, it's simple, you ask gay people to remove concepts like kink at pride because "children shouldn't be introduced to sex".

Greater society, with expanded knowledge because of the gay rights movement, understand that gay people exist and live comparable lives to heterosexual people. They are emboldened to do so because they know gay people are reasonable people and not child sexual predators, so obviously they want to protect kids too. So shouldn't it be easy and reasonable for gay people to just remove some of the more risque sexual bits from pride? Sex has to be a part of the conversation with gay people. We know it is central to their identity. We understand that gay people are fundamentally different and these differences led to alternative sexual lifestyles and activities. Asking gay people to modify their sexual displays at pride is not fully accepting them, and therefor believing that he idea of gay culture and gay people can be harmful.

It's also important to realize that increased exposure and mainstream also has an internal effect on the gay community. The gay community started to grow significantly. When you factor in attitudinal difference between different generational cohorts this leads to different views on thought leadership. This has then led to people hotly debating this issue on both sides, with people in the community also wanting to censor pride in the interest of protecting children. This then which is how we've ended up with this thread today.
-
I cannot ****ing type anymore. I've spent hours on this mess of a post and hopefully someone gets some value out of it and can think more critically about what's happening. This is seriously just homophobia at its root.

The removal of sex and sexuality from pride is antithesis to its very foundation.

As an aside: congrats on getting me to make my first real post on sppf debate forums in years. What year is this lol????

Yeah. I know it's a bothersome discussion, even people on twitter are tired of it and people are ready to be done and move on, but it hurts. It hurts that it opened up such a large division among left leaning people, and it hurts that more people don't see this for what it is: blatant homophobia. I was expecting anti kink at pride proponents to be swiftly condemned and admonished, not a weeks long debate where I felt like our side was in the minority.

If our "allies" are willing to push pedophilia tropes against us in the year of our lord 2021, how far are we away really from the beatings that were taking place in the 1980's? It just made me feel like all this progress is so fragile. It's scary.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Baby doll I was never a mod. I'm too temperamental lol.
Baby doll? Like that Batman villain?

Don't call me honey or darling, unless you change your avatar from Erik to Sylvando.
I don't really have a definition to be honest, I just know they aren't inherently sexual. I guess I would describe it as an affinity/fixation considered socially bizarre that someone adopts as part of their identity. A fetish on the other hand is something that's inherently sexual.
You better get a definition then, because that's what this topic is about.

Baby doll? Like that Batman villain?

Don't call me honey or darling, unless you change your avatar from Erik to Sylvando.

You better get a definition then, because that's what this topic is about.

Dude, like, how old are you? Like, I don't have to have an exact definition of kink to know it's not inherently sexual, because I've read the opinions of people who are kinksters and nearly all of them agree that while kink often overlaps with sex, it's not always about sex.

The idea I have to know exactly what something is to know what it isn't is silly. That's just not how defining/exploring concepts works. That's my definition I gave you, but I'm not really a huge kink dude so someone might have a more expansive/articulate concept fleshed out than I do.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Dude, like, how old are you? Like, I don't have to have an exact definition of kink to know it's not inherently sexual, because I've read the opinions of people who are kinksters and nearly all of them agree that while kink often overlaps with sex, it's not always about sex.

The idea I have to know exactly what something is to know what it isn't is silly. That's just not how defining/exploring concepts works. That's my definition I gave you, but I'm not really a huge kink dude so someone might have a more expansive/articulate concept fleshed out than I do.
Why is my age relevant? What would you say if I'm older/younger than you? Anyway, I'm 29. When I was in college, I went to the LGBTQA Pride Center every day, so I know a bit about gay culture, even though I'm just an ally.

You made this whole topic about kinks, but we can't discuss it unless we agree with what the definition even is. Urban Dictionary defines it as a sexual taste, which aligns with what I thought it meant. Let's just use this definition. It wouldn't make sense for a kink to not be sexual. How would that even work? "My kink is caramel." That sounds nonsensical.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
This whole discussion is ignoring the fact that people can control themselves, even in a kink outfit.

It's not that hard to kill arousal, even in peak potential arousal environment.

Has anyone concerned about kink thought of THAT?