• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Primeape Goes Bananas (025)

firestar319

The Marauder
Very funny episode, especially when Primeape chased Ash all the way to Celadon, and also this:
Ash: I sent in about a million postcards to get that hat!
That hat was something special...
8.5/10

G50

No longer posting
1 of my absolute fav. Kanto episodes. I really enjoyed the battle between Charmander and Primeape that resulted in its capture. Brock was very funny, especially when he was sent flying through the air.

78/100

Aquarelle

Staff member
Mankey looked really cute and harmless at first. I liked it a lot when it started acting all agressive. And then it evolved and was acting angry all the time. ^_^

I liked how they called the rice balls "doughnuts" in the dub. I actually thought they were doughnuts for the longest time because they sort of look like jelly doughnuts that I've had.

The end of the episode was funny, with Team Rocket surrounded by all those Primeape. :p

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
You can never EVER mention this episode without bringing up the "Jelly Filled Donut" quote.

TheEpicGoomba

This was a great episode. It showed how important that hat was to Ash and how hard he worked for to get it. Glad Ash caught the Primape. Sad thing he didn't use it much though.

8/10

I'm glad Ash only had 5 pokemon with him when he captured Primeape......I can't imagine what would have happened if that thing got teleported to Professor Oak's lab........

Vernikova

Champion
Ash capturing a Fighting-type Pokémon would've made for some interesting battles so it's really too bad that he didn't get too use it much. I thought that Ash getting upset over his hat was a bit silly as was running away from a silly Mankey. It was good to see Charmander have some time to shine in this episode too.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I like how cheeky it is by stealing Ash's cap, and how it's so wild even after Ash captures it. I also don't understand the whole Donut thing they were going on about in this episode. Overall, I enjoyed this episode.

7threst

Brock: Pokeball go! I mean Donut!!!!

Hilarious episode with Primeape and uncovering some the background from Ash's famous cap. I loved the emphasize on the Donuts. Back then, no one really cared - unless you were expertise in the late '90s about the Japanese culture, but nowadays, yeah it's pretty lame xD. I do love the pace too. After this episode, Ash gets the fifth badge - just two episodes after he obtained his fourth. I remember possibly being this the first episode I ever watched of Pokemon and it's was just a great introduction to the anime.

MattySadler

The introduction of such a mint character, shame he didn't last much longer!

NPT

Just a member
This episode is one of the best Kanto episodes in my opinion. It's hilarious when Primape stole Ash's hat, which he got by sending a million postcards. But Ash finally caught it with his Charmender's help, I liked it when Ash tossed Primape's pokéball in Team Rocket's hole, Primape beating up Team Rocket was funny.
It's stupid when Brock called a riceball a doughnut, I guess 4kids likes to change Japanese foods into Doughnuts and Sandwitches.

Last edited:
Unless i'm not forgetting, is there any reason that:

Ash couldn't have used Pidgeotto?

Brock couldn't have used Zubat?

Misty couldn't have used Staryu/Starmie?

against Mankey/Primeape? I mean, it's like so many of the situations that they got in during Kanto could have been dealt with a lot sooner if they remembered to use the other pokemon in their parties. Oh well, this was an enjoyable episode otherwise...

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
One of the more memorable (or at least notable) episodes of the original Pokémon series, and for good reason. Must've been the “doughnuts”. Yup, nothing beats a jelly-filled doughnut, indeed. Next notable aspect is Ash catching a new Pokémon, a Mankey—I mean Primeape. But first, he has to get beat up a lot and fight for his hat, resulting in a lot of hilarious beat-downs. Just about everyone got their share of hurt in this episode, yes, even Misty (she was kicked in the head when Mankey used her as leverage). I have to wonder if the hat being stolen by Mankey is a reference to Super Mario 64 where the monkey steals Mario's hat. Considering the game came out a year before the anime did, it wouldn't surprise me.

One other tidbit worth mentioning is that Ash really loves his hat. It's an official expo league hat that only had one hundred produced (so that means there are ninety-nine other people in the Pokémon world wearing it). Ash said he sent in a million postcards, but chances are it's more likely an exaggeration; still, he wanted it, so he sent in a lot. That flashback to the commercial said “official” a lot xD, almost like it was a joke toward the commercials about these things (“SUNDAY, SUNDAY” comes to mind). They must've had fun officially dubbing it much like the Charizard and Blastoise in the commercial had fun being in it.

Moving away from that silliness, we meet up with Professor Oak for the first in a long while—and as per usual he's drinking tea and not doing research (of course, he may be on his break, but still). And Krabby is his personal... um... well, he calls it a “friend”, but I dunno... You know, shouldn't he be researching when onscreen instead of looking bored, writing haiku—I mean poems, and encouraging Ash to push himself further to near-obsessive levels? He's really, really senile, but he's just so fun to watch. The guy is well-revered and this is who he is when he's not being professional. It's kinda funny, but at the same time it's also a bit sad... I guess that's why they had Tracey go stay with Professor Oak after the Orange Islands. The man must be pretty lonely and possibly a bit forgetful, so having an assistant is convenient for him.

All right, let's bring up the “doughnuts” again, briefly. I'm sure the voice actors knew they were rice balls, but I swear, Eric Stuart had so much fun saying the word “doughnut” in this episode. It's almost like the dialogue was written specially for him. I'll admit that I believed they were some kind of doughnut as a kid because I had never seen a rice ball before prior to that episode. It looked delicious and I've always wanted one, though, and to this day I still have of yet to eat a rice ball. *sadness* I was kind of a dumb, maybe gullible kid back then, you can't blame me for not being informed about other cultures when I was six years old. But hey, it makes for a funny in-joke/take that as an adult. Can't deny that.

Ah, James' magical boot makes a comeback. Another in-joke in the fandom that is one of my personal favorites. He had a habit of kicking Pokémon, didn't he? Again, Eric Stuart must've had so much fun voicing James in these episodes due to his emotions. As for the character himself, I guess it's proof that James really isn't too bright most of the time. You would think he'd keep his feet to himself, but considering him kicking Magikarp and it evolving was a one-time thing, he probably never thought the same thing would happen twice. And as this is almost ten episodes later, and that means no more than a month has passed since that incident... yeah.

But of course, the best part about this episode was the meat of the episode: Mankey/Primeape. The episode focuses on that Pokémon anyway, but just how it shows off the vicious nature and plays it for laughs makes it that much more enjoyable. It seriously went from happy to angry within a minute of meeting it, and it stays that way for the rest of the time. But it doesn't get stale as it chases down our heroes. It only calmed down twice to play with the hat, that was it, and those were great moments. (Mankey miming Ash's signature move was priceless.) Ash eventually decides to stop monkeying around and uses a bit of strategy to fight it for the purpose of capturing it. Charmander got hit with it hard, but the little guy uses a new move in a pinch and it is him who weakens Primeape enough. He deserves to be proud.

This episode really was welcoming after the disappointment of the previous episode. Where Haunter failed to deliver, Mankey/Primeape took over in its own special way. But... unfortunately, Primeape isn't on the team for very long. And it's a shame because Primeape has so much personality that had it had more screentime, there would've been a lot of possibility of growth before it leaves. And of course, the fanbase is a bit obsessive over Primeape sometimes despite having the least screentime. But that was how memorable it was. Made for an entertaining debut episode, for sure, but the farewell... ehh... but that won't be for a few episodes.

Now if you excuse me, I need to take a doughnut break before I tackle the next episode. Most likely gonna be on it like ugly on a Primeape unless my memory really is that bad and thus it's not a bad episode. But considering Erika is one of my least favorite gym leaders and I remember the episode being a bit frustrating...