• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Primeape Goes Bananas (025)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mankey sure was cute and I kind of wished it stayed that way especially since the anime seems to be against evolved Pokemon anyways.

I found it annoying how fast Mankey evolved here as well, considering that it took around forty episodes for stuff like Satoshi's Hitokage to evolve fully.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
A meh episode. I liked the fact Ash actually caught a Pokemon that was causing trouble. Too bad he left it to train several episodes later,never to be seen again. I disliked the fact Primeape seemed overpowered in this episode, and Ash didn't even consider using Pidgeotto despite the latter's type advantage.
6.5/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
A meh episode. I liked the fact Ash actually caught a Pokemon that was causing trouble.

I was just amazed that he caught a Pokemon in the regular manner, period. It seemed like half of his other Kanto Pokemon simply liked him and went with him willingly, yet here we saw Satoshi weaken a wild Pokemon and capture it without friendship being involved.

Leonhart

Imagineer
PorcelainVulpix said:
I kind of forgot about this episode until I rewatched it last night and it had me cracking up the whole time. It honestly might be one of the funniest episodes in the anime.

I found certain scenes funny, but mostly I cringed a bit seeing how violent Mankey became after evolving and seeing just how far its anger carried it while it chased after Satoshi for no logical reason.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I found certain scenes funny, but mostly I cringed a bit seeing how violent Mankey became after evolving and seeing just how far its anger carried it while it chased after Satoshi for no logical reason.

I think it was kind of how humor was back then. In a lot of cartoons from that era, you’ll see a lot of violence used at humor kind of like Tom and jerry always going at each other

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I think it was kind of how humor was back then. In a lot of cartoons from that era, you’ll see a lot of violence used at humor kind of like Tom and jerry always going at each other

Yeah it was all slapstick humor even though I thought it could have been done differently without making Ash the punching bag of the episode. :p

Finding out the origins of Ash's special cap was fun because it gave us some more information about the kinds of things that Ash did before he became a trainer. My favorite part of the episode was when Mankey stole the hat and went crazy upon evolving because it chased Ash all over the place and it ironically got Ash, Misty and Brock closer to Celadon City in the end. I just didn't like that Ash caught Primeape because it got released within two episodes. 6/10

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I found it pointless that Ash caught Primeape. It added nothing to his team during the two episodes that he had it after this one. It also had no personality whatsoever besides getting angry very easily. Butterfree had more personality than Primeape. Even the Raticate Ash had briefly traded for had more interesting qualities to it and Ash did even own it for more than ten minutes before trading it back. And that is really saying something.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Firefo×Fennekin said:
. I just didn't like that Ash caught Primeape because it got released within two episodes. 6/10

That part is what made this episode seem slightly redundant to me given that this whole misadventure ended up leading nowhere in terms of developing Satoshi's team. At best we got to see a few amusing moments that made me chuckle, but the fact that Satoshi's newest team addition in this episode wasn't permanent did irk me a lot.

MockingJ

Banned
It's funny because the premise of this episode itself was weak but all of that violence you won't see in a post-Kanto episode, the official Pokemon League (or Pockemon Leag) commercial, and 4kids obsession with telling you that riceballs were a donut make it a pretty amusing episode.

I swear 4Kids must've been aware of how totally ridiculous the donut line was but they went with it anyway as some kind of sick joke. No kid can see those rice balls and seriously think that they resemble freaking donuts.

I swear 4Kids must've been aware of how totally ridiculous the donut line was but they went with it anyway as some kind of sick joke. No kid can see those rice balls and seriously think that they resemble freaking donuts.

They were white things with a little black square and there wasn't much else that they could've passed for. So I thought that calling them donuts was a good alternative.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Aside from Ash catching Primeape what made this episode memorable for me was the infamous jelly filled donut line. I remember being so confused as a kid. What was 4kids thinking?

Yeah what the hell were they thinking? Of all the names they coulda used to disguise the rice balls donuts was the worst attempt at subtly...