• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Princess VS Princess (052)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Misty wanting her own doll set to spite her sisters was selfish and she acted like a stuck up princess here, so I think Jessie deserved them instead...

Jessie had my sympathy at least, but I didn't think that Misty acted selfishly. She grew up with hand-me-down dolls, so I understood why she wanted a new set for herself. ^^;

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
If Showcases get flak for being a girls only thing then shouldn't this episode in general get the same criticism? The plot of this episode is basically a girls only event that males couldn't participate in and are forced to be slaves lol.
With that said I did enjoy this episode. The only thing I didn't like about it is Misty should have used her own Pokemon instead of borrowing Brock's and Ash's.
8/10

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
This was a good episode. That bit where Musashi captured the wild Beroringa who ate her new clothes caught me off guard, because I didn't think Musashi was going to keep it. Kasumi entering that contest to win her own set of Hinamatsuri dolls was great since we got to see her competitive side come out.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I loved this episode because it was focused on Jessie and Misty equally. I enjoyed Misty's shopping spree with Ash and Brock having to carry her bags and it was also nice to see how her hair looked down.

ZilverLox

Banned
A nice episode focusing on Misty. I enjoyed it, and we also see Ash still doesn't get Misty. Also nice to see Jessie capture her Lickitung even though it doesn't get as much spotlight as Wobbuffet later in the series does. I think Jessie should have won, she deserved them a lot more than Misty did. But yeah, they're Team Rocket, they have to lose each time, even if they play by the rules on those certain occasions. :(

Leonhart

Imagineer
I think Jessie should have won, she deserved them a lot more than Misty did. But yeah, they're Team Rocket, they have to lose each time, even if they play by the rules on those certain occasions. :(

For a minute there, I did contemplate the chance that Musashi was going to win with Beroringa, because it was new and formidable. But once Kasumi used Koduck, I knew that we'd see it win with one of its headache-induced attacks.

DatsRight

A nice episode focusing on Misty. I enjoyed it, and we also see Ash still doesn't get Misty. Also nice to see Jessie capture her Lickitung even though it doesn't get as much spotlight as Wobbuffet later in the series does. I think Jessie should have won, she deserved them a lot more than Misty did. But yeah, they're Team Rocket, they have to lose each time, even if they play by the rules on those certain occasions. :(

Funny thing is thanks to broken formula, it might have been possible for Jessie to win if the episode had been made these days. In fact given how much Kanto liked to rile up Misty with everything but Team Rocket, the writers might have revelled in it. XD

But yeah, it did feel like the story was deliberately placing more sympathy onto Jessie, she was playing by the rules, making the best of her own team, and merely wanted compensation for her past, while Misty was relying on her friends' Pokemon and Psyduck's semi-luck based psychic powers and wanted to win just to spite her sisters.

If Showcases get flak for being a girls only thing then shouldn't this episode in general get the same criticism? The plot of this episode is basically a girls only event that males couldn't participate in and are forced to be slaves lol.
With that said I did enjoy this episode. The only thing I didn't like about it is Misty should have used her own Pokemon instead of borrowing Brock's and Ash's.
8/10

Wasn't this based on a real life Japanese holiday in the original edit? The dub made up a holiday for cultural issues.

I think it was because the setup here was still ultimately about battling, while the showcases were about competitions and gimmicks that were to many considered stereotypically girly (not that having Ash, Clemont or Teirno entering a showcase and trying to do baking or fashion design wasn't wasted potential, nor was an episode Ash had to act as Serena's toady XD). I will admit this episode did have the one element that bugged me about showcases (the female companion winning through plot armour while Jessie lost despite playing fair and working her *** off) and at least Meowth was allowed to be competent in the showcases. It was a sad foreshadowing to Jessie's future as the rival to Ash's lasses (except maybe Dawn).

It's also odd now watching an episode where Team Rocket go into a public Pokemon event undisguised, especially since they're ironically in the region people would be most liable to recognise them. :p

Last edited:

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
For a minute there, I did contemplate the chance that Musashi was going to win with Beroringa, because it was new and formidable. But once Kasumi used Koduck, I knew that we'd see it win with one of its headache-induced attacks.

Lickitung losing in his debut episode kinda sucked, though I also knew what to expect once Psyduck got involved. Sigh. :/

DatsRight

Lickitung losing in his debut episode kinda sucked, though I also knew what to expect once Psyduck got involved. Sigh. :/

In fairness it one shotted Pikachu, Bulbasaur AND Vulpix no problem. That's more than some TR Pokemon get their entire run.

Hell, Likitung was arguably OP in this episode (especially given it ironically couldn't even learn Lick in Gen 1), it just couldn't compete with Psyduck's even more exaggerated Psychic headaches.

Last edited:

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
In fairness it one shotted Pikachu, Bulbasaur AND Vulpix no problem. That's more than some TR Pokemon get their entire run.

Hell, Likitung was arguably OP in this episode (especially given it ironically couldn't even learn Lick in Gen 1), it just couldn't compete with Psyduck's even more exaggerated Psychic headaches.

While true, Lickitung's good fortune only lasted this one episode for some reason and I don't remember him ever winning after this. Dis a shame.

Shayuin

Banned
My favorite Misty based episode of the first season. Psyduck was awesome as always, winning and not getting hurt by attacks that defeat most other Pokemon.

Alloutℯ

Banned
While Jessie was competing in the festival tournament, her reasons for wanting to win seemed so selfish, so I was rooting for Misty to win the doll set instead.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Wasn't this based on a real life Japanese holiday in the original edit? The dub made up a holiday for cultural issues.

The holiday featured in this episode was Hinamatsuri, which can also be called Doll's Day or Girls' Day. It's basically a day all about girls, so the fact that Musashi and Kasumi were doing all kinds of stereotypical feminine activities - such as shopping and wanting to win the doll set - was fitting for the occasion.

Alloutℯ

Banned
It was good for Jessie to catch Lickitung even if it doesn't get much screen time. I lol'd at how Psyduck wasn't effected by its lick. Pity Jessie didn't win the contest.

When Misty told us her doll tale I didn't get what the big deal was since she ended up getting a doll set as a child anyway. Jessie deserved to win the competition because Lickitung was tough.

Leonhart

Imagineer
When Misty told us her doll tale I didn't get what the big deal was since she ended up getting a doll set as a child anyway. Jessie deserved to win the competition because Lickitung was tough.

Hinamatsuri dolls like the ones that Kasumi wanted are special, personalized gifts that symbolize a parent's desire to see their daughter prosper, which is why hand-me-down dolls weren't enough for Kasumi.

gentwoer

Even some of it being lose in culture translation I think its still obvious that Misty was upset that her sisters all got their own dolls and she had to have hand me downs. Same reason she was very possessive of her bike since it was something that was hers.