• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~Prof. Gureshaw’s Midnight Course~

BAlightning

Ethan Hunter
Professor Gureshaw's Classroom

Ethan was suspicious of the invitation to this class. He figured it was a prank of some sort due to the time it was scheduled, but he didn't really have a problem with breaking curfew. Ethan decided to go because the only other thing he would be doing at that time would be sleeping. Plus whomever wrote it took the time to write it up on a typewriter and attatch a wax seal, far classier than a computer and tape. When he arrived at the classroom he was pleasantly suprised to find that it was not a joke. Well until Ethan heard the subject matter, then he was fairly sure it was a more eloborate prank.

When the Professor had the cabinet open, Ethan was unsure of what to think anymore. There was still a posibility that it was set up beforehand. Once it was his turn at the cabinet he noticed that several of the books were now taken. Ethan started to inspect the remaining books. As his finger brushed along a certain one his eyes widened slightly. When he touched the book he felt a sense of rightness and... power. Any doubts he may have had before disappeared. Ethan immediately took the book not wanting anyone else to touch it. It was black leather with ruby and gold corners, and Ethan could not stop admiring it. As he went to sit down he didn't even open the book.

The Professor said something about simply talking to the book and proceeded to talk a little about what he called "Instant Magic". Ethan had no idea what sort of power he could have had and at this point he didn't even care. Right now he just wanted to know more about this book.

Ethan opened it up to the first page and asked with a hushed awe, "What are you?"

PeeGee

ROAWR!
Diego 'DD' Derekson

DD looked at the Professor, he couldn't be serious could he? Magic, everyone knew that magic wasn't real. Well he thought that until he saw the Prof actually levitate the book in his hand.

Holy smokes he thought Did he seriously do that?

DD was still in a state of somewhat shock as Gureshaw continued to explain about Instant Magic or something, he wasn't paying too much attention. He looked down at his book, and noticed the pattern that it had... which was a plant pattern! Oh god, this wasn't good, what if people saw the pattern. He wasn't going to allow that to happen again. Especially not here in a boarding school of all places! Maybe he could put another cover over the book, maybe something manly. Nothing screamed manly like booze and half naked ladies, right?

"So you're my book are ya? You look kinda girly, though thankfully I can go change that. Just slap on a manly cover and all will be right" he said, opening the book as if it were infected with cooties, "Well then what do I call you? And more importantly, if I can do magic, what magic can I do with you? Can I make myself buffer? Can I get all the girls to like me?"

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
~Prof Gureshaw~

The Q and A session went on, "Professor, what is Spirit Contact?"

“That would be the ability to speak with spirits such as ghost or elementals,” explained the professor.

"Hey, Prof, is there anything in instant magic that might relate to me hearing my dead sister, or am I just crazy?" asked another student. Yes, classic, witches who don’t yet understand their powers were often afraid of them.

“That too may be Sprit Contact,” agreed the professor. He raised a hand, “Alright class, if I could get you to settle down, we’ll move on. I want to talk a bit about personal safety. You don’t hear much about people being burnt at the stake nowadays, but you have to take a certain amount of precaution to keep it that way.”

@ (SenorLaughsaLot) Lucas - Cumulous

More large letters appeared on Cumulous’ pages;

Of course I know some general spells you can try out, and a bit of white magic. Weather just happens to have been the focus of my original owner.

@ (DVB) Diego - Ebony

Ebony cleared it’s pages. After a moment new words formed;

Well, let’s see. Maybe you’ll find one of these spells interesting:

Cemetery Sensation - Make any space as creepy as horror movie.

Marshmallow Elixer - Makes everything taste like marshmallows, except the potion itself.

Shadowganger - The Shadowganger is safer than a doppleganger spell, so long as one does not let their shadow gain to much power before returning it to it’s natural job.

Sleeping Death - A sleeping draught so powerful your vistim will never wake up.

Poesy Charm - Keep sickness at bay without the aid of apples.

Nightmare pillow - Sprinkle this potion on your enemy’s pillow to give them nightmares.

@ (TheSketchQueen) Chase - Rusty

New words faded onto Rusty’s pages;

Well, I wouldn’t of picked a girly student either.

@ (Balightning) Ethan - Tempest

Intricate flourished letters formed on the pages;

Greetings,
I am Tempest, the first shadow booked owner by Morgan le Fay. I sense a unusual power in you, perhaps you are the new powerful witch I have been waiting for?

@ (Food Guy) DD - Hemlock

A very standard old typeset appeared on the book’s pages, it didn’t fade in or bubble up in any fancy way, simply it appeared;

I was not aware that Flora was considered girly, but I would not mind having a dust jacket.

I am known as Hemlock, and store a great deal of traditional magic, so since your inquires are of a classic sort, I certainly have magic instructions to accommodate them. I also contain instructions for quite a bit of healing and prophetic magic.

DVB

Philosopher Knight
Diego Vendrix
Tome- Ebony

“That would be the ability to speak with spirits such as ghost or elementals,” The professor explained. Diego smiled and nodded, thanking him once more. This excited him. That means a literal whole new world would open up to him. To have friends who could watch and protect him and he could do the same. Not only that, it would make Day of the Dead alot more fun.

“Alright class, if I could get you to settle down, we’ll move on. I want to talk a bit about personal safety. You don’t hear much about people being burnt at the stake nowadays, but you have to take a certain amount of precaution to keep it that way.” The professor said.

Diego gulped. He was lucky to end up in a single room. However, he would need to take plenty of steps to ensure his survival.

He would need to be careful.

Power corrupts after all.

He then turned to Ebony to see some of the spells it was offering.

Well, let’s see. Maybe you’ll find one of these spells interesting:

Cemetery Sensation - Make any space as creepy as horror movie.

Marshmallow Elixer - Makes everything taste like marshmallows, except the potion itself.

Shadowganger - The Shadowganger is safer than a doppleganger spell, so long as one does not let their shadow gain to much power before returning it to it’s natural job.

Sleeping Death - A sleeping draught so powerful your vistim will never wake up.

Poesy Charm - Keep sickness at bay without the aid of apples.

Nightmare pillow - Sprinkle this potion on your enemy’s pillow to give them nightmares.

"Well Shadowganger sounds interesting. Cemetary Space also kinda does. Posey Charm is a must," Diego told himself before remembering his talent and looking at the book. "I think you and I will be good friends," Diego said, offering Ebony a sincere smile.

Liltwick

Just your Sleepy FIzzy Mod
Cameron Kingston
Tome-Driftwood

Cameron listened to the professor tell them about spiritual powers and how to use them, and the warnings to come with it. Cameron looked down and saw Driftwood writing again.

Of course:

Ocean Spirit Talisman - The perfect Talisman for those who love the ocean!

Fundamental Talisman - No Talisman collection is complete without the Cologne Charm, it makes you smell any way you wish. Fundamental Talismans compiled by Edgar Mann.

Master might also try a potion:

Bottle Ocean - A cheap easy way to have the ocean wherever you are with just a splash of bottled ocean potion.

Bottle Ocean seems like an interesting potion... I wonder what the full effect of it is. Is it a teleportation bottle, or does it do something different. I must ask him about it, but it seems fun! Cameron thought to himself with a high amount of curiosity.

"Can you please elaborate more on Bottle Ocean's effect and the ingredients please?" Cameron asked his spellbook as he looked out of the door, wondering if anyone was going to hear all of the chatter going on. He sighed, and got up, and took the spellbook with him. He looked out the door, just to satisfy his worries before going back and sitting in his seat.

Last edited:

Sketchie

literally some guy
Chase Lewis
Tome - Rusty

“That too may be Sprit Contact,” the professor replied to Chase. Chase smiled. Well, now it's less likely I'm crazy.

He turned to the book, and another line of words appeared.

Well, I wouldn’t of picked a girly student either.

Chase grinned. "Good point. Rusty, we are going to be great friends, and that's a fact. Oh, yeah, what kind'a magic do you specialize in?"

Chase was still staring at the book when the professor broke his concentration. “Alright class, if I could get you to settle down, we’ll move on," the professor said, his voice filling the room. Chase looked around and quickly found an empty seat. The professor continued his lecture. "I want to talk a bit about personal safety. You don’t hear much about people being burnt at the stake nowadays, but you have to take a certain amount of precaution to keep it that way.”

Aww, safety rules? Chase thought, It makes sense, but... really?

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Leonardo "Leo" Silverstone
Professor Grueshaw's Classroom
Tome - Henbane

A new set of words then appeared on the pages, replacing the old ones.

Oh, well, as far as books go, I suppose I’m very feminine. Funny, I thought it showed more than that. As far as magic goes, I’m more of a generalist’s book, I don’t have a ton of spells on any one subject, but instead have a lot more spells on a lot more subjects.

You know I find that specialty books, despite their shortcomings have a tendency to become rude or elitist, or even evil. You seem like a nice young man. Certainly wouldn’t want an evil book would you? Not that I would ever tell them that, you know?

Leo smirked when he read that his book was female. "I figured, I just needed to make sure. I live with my mom and two sisters back home, they're are a lot of girls in my family, and I seem to have more girl friends than guy friends. I'm used to being surrounded by women. It's cool! Most guys aren't usually this talkative. Fortunately, I'm not most guys. Thanks! and no, I certainly wouldn't want an evil book. Heh, an evil book would probably be annoyed with me anyway, I'm too much of a goody two shoes."

Leo leaned back in his chair as the professor elaborated on the instant magic he had spoken about at the start of the class. Telepathy, Telekinesis, Mesmerization, all of the powers that were mentioned sounded cool. He wondered what his Power was. He doesn't remember ever making things float, so Telekinesis was out. He didn't remember ever communicating with dead people, so this Spirit Contact thing was out...

The Professor also warned everyone to take precautions when using magic. Well, that would seem like common sense, when your dealing with magic. From what he had read in novels, and seen on TV, magic was unpredictable... "Wait, they really did burn people at the stake?!" His eyes widened, and he sat straight up upon hearing this, and shivered at the thought. That's not the type of thing he liked thinking about.

Then Leo turned his attention back to his book. "Hey Henbane, do you know any simple spells that a beginner like me could do? I don't have anything specific I want to do yet, I just want to give the whole magic thing a test drive, so to speak."

Last edited:

Billy Mays

Ace Advertiser
Xavier Owens
Tome - Burgundy

Like before, the book's contents changed and new text replaced the old.

Truly this place is crude.

Oh, yes, creating things, changing things, making our world more comfortable and worth living in.

"Absolutely perfect." Xavier thought to himself. This book was pretty much exactly what he would've wanted if he had to choose a magic book. Granted, he never had to choose between magic books before, but he was sure he made the right choice. Even Arvixe was impressed.

"Excellent, that's exactly what I'd want. Oh, pardon my manners by the way Burgundy, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Xavier Owens." He felt he should probably get to know the book better before he let it in on more specific details about himself.

"Alright, now let's get down to business. Can you name some spells for creating things? I mean like, making something that isn't there, there. Like conjuration. You got anything for that?" Xavier suddenly realized that everyone else was sitting back down in their seats, so he went back to his seat as well. Judging from what the professor had said, he was probably just going to talk about some blatantly obvious stuff about how we should be careful with where and when we should use our magic. Like he needed to pay attention to that.

Last edited:

SenorLaughsaLot

Why So Serious ?
Lucas Kendall

The Professor still didn't respond to Lucas' question and he didn't bother to ask again. He could tell the professor wanted to move on and he began to return to Cumulous. Upon looking at the book he saw a new reply to his previous question.

Of course I know some general spells you can try out, and a bit of white magic. Weather just happens to have been the focus of my original owner.

"Interesting... I'll have to ask about that later. Our meeting will have to come to an end for now. It was a pleasure meeting you. Goodbye Cumulous." Lucas actually enjoyed talking with the book. He also felt a weird sensation, like he was a new person. Suddenly, he let out a long, and loud yawn accompanied by a big stretch in his seat. I need some damn sleep.

The professor proceeded to speak, "Alright class, if I could get you to settle down, we’ll move on. I want to talk a bit about personal safety. You don’t hear much about people being burnt at the stake nowadays, but you have to take a certain amount of precaution to keep it that way.”*

Lucas leaned on his desk, laying his head on his fist. He prepared himself to listen to whatever the professor had to say. How I wish I could just get some sleep...

*Jean Grey*

Night Triumphant
Lovina Castiglioni

"Watch where you're going you damn klutz!" Lovina heard the boy she had shoved shout out. She looked up at him and flipped him off.

"Shut off, cazzo!." She murmured, before looking down at her book once again.

It’s Brimstone, my young doubter. Please don’t call me Yellow.

I will aid you in learning a variety of magical spells and techniques, though Necromancy is my specialty.

Lovina read on as the somewhat grungy-looking words appeared, which she did not expect to come out from what was supposed to be a spellbook, unaware that the hints of a smile was creeping on her face. Brimstone? She liked that name, very edgy and definitely better than naming it after that one Coldplay song that she despised. Necromancy? Now Lovina was intrigued. Knowing her luck, she thought that she had ended up with something like food spells. This was starting to get better than she expected.

"Brimstone, huh? Nice na...I mean, cool. I think I may like you a bit...you've got some swag. You're a he, right? I mean, you don't look like one of those prissy, flowery, disgustingly sweet spellbooks anyway." She said, holding up the spellbook once again. Strange as it seemed, the spellbook replying to her made her feel a bit more comfortable about doing this.

"Necromancy? Heh, guess what, I think we'll get along little bastardo. Show me a bunch of what you can do then, Brimstone." She finished, before she heard the Professor's voice once again.

“Alright class, if I could get you to settle down, we’ll move on. I want to talk a bit about personal safety. You don’t hear much about people being burnt at the stake nowadays, but you have to take a certain amount of precaution to keep it that way.”

Last edited:

BAlightning

(OOC:Whoops, sorry about the lack of heading)
Ethan Hunter

Ethan watched as the words dramatically appeared. As he read over the words he felt proud.

Greetings,
I am Tempest, the first shadow booked owner by Morgan le Fay. I sense a unusual power in you, perhaps you are the new powerful witch I have been waiting for?

He mouthed the name 'Morgan le Fay' in astoinishment. That was a very famous name, one of the most famous witches Ethan has heard of. This book...no, Tempest, would have to be at least over a thousand years old, if the tale of King Arthur had any basis in reality. He would have to ask her, well he was assuming that Tempest was more feminine, about that at a later time. Ethan figured that this unusual power that Tempest mentioned must be that instant magic stuff that the professor talked about. While he showed little interest in the subject before, Tempest seemed to think that it might be interesting. Ethan then felt that it might be a good idea to try to learn about his skill if at all possible.

After that train of thought Ethan decided that it was best to respond to Tempest, "My name is Ethan Hunter and I hope I am the...witch you're looking for, Tempest."

Ethan may have continued, but then the Professor said, “Alright class, if I could get you to settle down, we’ll move on. I want to talk a bit about personal safety. You don’t hear much about people being burnt at the stake nowadays, but you have to take a certain amount of precaution to keep it that way.”

Ethan would normally ignore a teacher, but the prospect of being lynched for not paying attention was something that he did not want to face. So he decided that this may be a lesson that he should pay attention to.

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
(OOC: I think we have magic chairs…)

Okay is should be about 12:30 now, class is half over.

~Prof Gureshaw~

“First, and some of you probably have already figured this out, but both your books and your supplies are going to seem unusual, you’ll probably want to find a hiding place and charm it to help keep prying eyes out,” explained Professor Gureshaw, ignoring Leo’s frightened outburst. He paced a bit, “Second, don’t tell anyone. This is the most obvious rule, but also the most tempting one to break. Because I mean, tell no one, even if it’s your best friend who’d never hurt you! Magic is not only a source of fear, but a source of greed. Once they know what you can do, they’ll want your help all the time.”

“Next, if you don’t want to look like you’ve become a hermit,” added the Professor, “You’ll need to work on your schedule. And skipping sleep doesn’t work. There are a few potions more effective than caffeine, but eventually the need to sleep will catch up with you. Though the dead of night is the best time for our lessons, I understand it does detract from your sleep time, so I’ll try to keep things no longer than an hour, and if you find you still have trouble getting back to sleep after a few days, I’d be happy to help you brew a sleep aid potion.”

“Obviously never preform magic in front of anyone outside this class… You should be made aware that mortals are not the only danger young witches face,” sighed the Professor, “Other more experienced witches can be dangerous too, especially if you have a tome or artifact they want. So always practice caution when performing magic.”

@ (DVB) Diego - Ebony

I suppose I could be friends with a goodie-goodie, at least I got one intelligent enough to know the value of prevention. Who wants to end up visiting the Doctor when you could have used magic? offered Ebony.

@ (Lost Requiem) Cameron - Driftwood

Driftwood’s page refreshed;

Bottle Ocean - A cheap easy way to have the ocean wherever you are with just a splash of bottled ocean potion.

You will need:
A large bottle with seal
Smaller bottles and seals if desired
4 cups seawater
1 Tsp dried seaweed flakes
1 Tbsp sand
1 small shell, ground
3 drops siren blood

Mix all ingredient in the large bottle. Place in a dark place to settle overnight. Potion may be poured into smaller bottles for transport. One spoonful splashed onto the user simulates the ocean’s breeze and sounds for them until the potion evaporates.

Warning: Intentional overdoses, much more than a spoonful, may result in a delusional state.

Rusty’s pervious sentence fade out, replace with a new message;

Well, having been assembled in what you know to be the Old West, I can quite surely say I know a variety of manly spells; good for survival and defense.

@ (Monster Guy) Leo - Henbane

Henbane’s pages covered themselves in text again;

Oh, of course, there are quite a number of low level spells you can try out. If you know how to sew you can make your own Invisibility Cloak simply by following the proper rune pattern. Or you could make a Tin Star for a slight boost in luck! Actually many beginners find Talismans construction easier than potion brewing, probably because the materials are easier to find. There are several types of Pendulum, a simple talisman you can make to aid in divining and defense.

@ (Billy Mays) Xavier - Burgundy
(I assume you mean conjuring, very closely related words.)

Burgundy’s pages filled with new elaborately drawn words;

Xavier? How delightful!
Of course there is a great deal of things you can make from scratch with magic, but you will need to prepare. Much of it can be done through alchemic techniques. Think of alchemy as a shortcut, gather the supplies, draw a few symbols and say a few words, and there you are, new object with minimized labor. No sewing, no sawing and hammering, in short no getting sweaty! And it usually comes out nicer than if you had done those things! Of course there are some delightful potions too, such as, The Perfect Bubble Bath. You should totally make that. You should make me a velvet pillow to rest on while you’re at it.

Alchemy Plans: Fancy Pillow - Silk, Velvet, or Satin, this may be the nicest pillow you ever own.

The Perfect Bubble Bath - Have the best bubble bath ever, with this potion you’ll get extra long lasting multi-colored bubbles, and it leave your skin blemish free.

Alchemy Plans: Ming Tea Set - Improve cheap china by duplicating an expensive set.

Alchemy Plans: Metal Rings - Make sparkling rings for yourself or your sweetheart out of old metal scraps.

Amor Cologne - This cologne will make you smell like whatever other people are attracted too.

@ (Jean Grey) Lovina - Brimstone
(Let’s keep the multilingual profanity down too, as people from all over the world use this forum.)

Yes a he in about as much of a sense as a book can be a he. And don’t get me started on those sissy books.

Below these words a list appeared;
Animate Bones
Dance Macabre
Speaking Skulls
Spirit Summoning Charm
Séance: How To
Imitation Spirits
Bronze Bones
Bone Monster
Gut Grinder
The Corpse Collector’s Charm
Spirit Contact Potion
Spirit Glass
Spirit Glasses
Carrion Switch

(Balightning) (Name at top of post Please)

Last edited:

Billy Mays

Ace Advertiser
(Well if I understand conjuring is the verb for it, while conjuration is the word for the actual act itself. I dunno, I was thinking of the Conjuration skill in the Elder Scrolls series.)

Xavier Owens
Tome - Burgundy

The professor started to talk about stuff that Xavier either could easily figure out already or he didn't care about. Fortunately for him, he had Burgundy to listen to instead. Well, more of read, since the book responded by changing the text on its pages...you get the idea.

Xavier? How delightful!
Of course there is a great deal of things you can make from scratch with magic, but you will need to prepare. Much of it can be done through alchemic techniques. Think of alchemy as a shortcut, gather the supplies, draw a few symbols and say a few words, and there you are, new object with minimized labor. No sewing, no sawing and hammering, in short no getting sweaty! And it usually comes out nicer than if you had done those things! Of course there are some delightful potions too, such as, The Perfect Bubble Bath. You should totally make that. You should make me a velvet pillow to rest on while you’re at it.

Alchemy Plans: Fancy Pillow - Silk, Velvet, or Satin, this may be the nicest pillow you ever own.

The Perfect Bubble Bath - Have the best bubble bath ever, with this potion you’ll get extra long lasting multi-colored bubbles, and it leave your skin blemish free.

Alchemy Plans: Ming Tea Set - Improve cheap china by duplicating an expensive set.

Alchemy Plans: Metal Rings - Make sparkling rings for yourself or your sweetheart out of old metal scraps.

Amor Cologne - This cologne will make you smell like whatever other people are attracted too.

Arvixe snickered at the book's suggestions. "Man, this book IS just like Rarity. Hey, you mind if I call you Rarity? Just asking." Hey, Burgundy did say he could rename...it? "It" didn't sound right...maybe Burgundy was a she? Or a fashion saavy he? Wait, why was he asking himself this?

"Why ARE you asking yourself?" Xavier shot Arvixe a nasty glare. "Don't be a smartass Arvixe. Just out of curiousity, what gender would you consider yourself? You know, if you had one that is."

"As for the spells...well those really don't fit my tastes, except maybe the ring one. Can you give me the recipe for that? Oh, and the pillow one too; I figure I owe you for helping me be able to do all this magic stuff anyway. I should probably start simple before I try something more complex anyway."

Last edited:

Sketchie

literally some guy
(OOC) Magical Chairs? Totally. That's why there's always enough.)

Chase Lewis
Tome - Rusty

The professor's speech went on. “First, and some of you probably have already figured this out, but both your books and your supplies are going to seem unusual, you’ll probably want to find a hiding place and charm it to help keep prying eyes out,” explained Professor Gureshaw. Chase agreed silently. Rule number one, hide stuff.

“Second, don’t tell anyone. This is the most obvious rule, but also the most tempting one to break. Because I mean, tell no one, even if it’s your best friend who’d never hurt you! Magic is not only a source of fear, but a source of greed. Once they know what you can do, they’ll want your help all the time,” the Professor continued. Chase smiled. Rule number two, hide more stuff.

“Next, if you don’t want to look like you’ve become a hermit,” added the Professor, “You’ll need to work on your schedule. And skipping sleep doesn’t work. There are a few potions more effective than caffeine, but eventually the need to sleep will catch up with you. Though the dead of night is the best time for our lessons, I understand it does detract from your sleep time, so I’ll try to keep things no longer than an hour, and if you find you still have trouble getting back to sleep after a few days, I’d be happy to help you brew a sleep aid potion.” Chase thought about it. Um... sleep... right... oh well, I've done these kinda things before.

“Obviously never preform magic in front of anyone outside this class… You should be made aware that mortals are not the only danger young witches face,” sighed the Professor, “Other more experienced witches can be dangerous too, especially if you have a tome or artifact they want. So always practice caution when performing magic,” the Professor said as he finished that section of his lecture. Chase nodded. Rule number three... hide everything from everyone. At the end of his mind sentance, he looked down at his book, and a new set of words appeared in the rusted ink.

Well, having been assembled in what you know to be the Old West, I can quite surely say I know a variety of manly spells; good for survival and defense.

"Coolness. Old West, eh? Probably one of my favorite times in history. Do you have any spells for hiding things away?" Chase said softly, not wanting to interrupt any of the class.

*Jean Grey*

Night Triumphant
(OOC: Psst, guys! I created TvTropes pages for this RP. Main page is here and character page is here.)

Lovina Castiglioni
Tome - Brimstone

Lovina heard one of her classmates suddenly ask whether people were actually burned at the stake, which caused her to roll her eyes as she checked out who he was. A dark-haired and muscular guy, admittedly good-looking but apparently as dumb as a pile of rocks. While she hardly did her homework back in her old school, she did know what the Salem Witch Trials were.

“First, and some of you probably have already figured this out, but both your books and your supplies are going to seem unusual, you’ll probably want to find a hiding place and charm it to help keep prying eyes out. Second, don’t tell anyone. This is the most obvious rule, but also the most tempting one to break. Because I mean, tell no one, even if it’s your best friend who’d never hurt you! Magic is not only a source of fear, but a source of greed. Once they know what you can do, they’ll want your help all the time.” Professor Gureshaw then started to explain. Lovina shrugged at that. It was not as if she had friends who'd pry into her room anyway. As far as she was concerned, she didn't have friends at all in this place, being new and all. Prying eyes were the least of her concerns.

The professor then went on about sleep schedules, to which Lovina made a mental reminder to herself to lessen the dosage of her prescription sleeping pills, being an insomniac herself. The Professor finished with a reminder that nobody perform magic outside of class, keeping everything a secret.

OK, I get it. No spilling or saying anything stupid.

She then looked down at Brimstone once again, new words filling out the page in front of her.

Yes a he in about as much of a sense as a book can be a he. And don’t get me started on those sissy books.

Animate Bones
Dance Macabre
Speaking Skulls
Spirit Summoning Charm
Séance: How To
Imitation Spirits
Bronze Bones
Bone Monster
Gut Grinder
The Corpse Collector’s Charm
Spirit Contact Potion
Spirit Glass
Spirit Glasses
Carrion Switch

"Heh, that's why I think that I may like you, Brimstone. I want to see the...Animate Bones and the Speaking Skulls." She answered as she finished looking over the list.

DVB

Philosopher Knight
Diego Vendrix
Tome- Ebony

Diego nodded as his eyes looked around the room. Now, he had few friends and one of them already had his own book. He felt like he could trust Leo. He was not sure about anyone else though. Sleep wouldn't be an issue though. Just a mnor readjustment of sleep patterns.

But of other magic users? More expeirenced and dangerous?

He better start putting safeguards when he can. He felt sure they were not the only witches here. He began wondering who else was out there. He looked at Ebony.

He could not help but recall the dark power coming from it.

I suppose I could be friends with a goodie-goodie, at least I got one intelligent enough to know the value of prevention. Who wants to end up visiting the Doctor when you could have used magic? offered Ebony.

"...Ebony, I need a list of safeguards and possibly the spells that anyone would you for?" Diego whispered to the book. He began thinking many scattered thoughts so no one would be reading his mind.

BAlightning

Ethan Hunter
Tome- Tempest

Ethan understood that it was a good idea to keep these supplies hidden, however he didn't like the thought that he would have to keep Tempest off of his person. Well, Ethan supposed he should be safe just in case. This was reinforced when the Professor talked about how some other witches might be interested in Tempest. That was something that made Ethan worry. The other rules were more simple. His family were the only people that he would have told, but it wouldn't be too hard to keep it a secret from them now that they weren't around him. Well, Ethan might be somewhat guilty about not telling them, but it was out of necessity. As for the sleeping thing, well Ethan would just have to get used to that as time passed.

With the what Professor Gureshaw has lain out so far Ethan decided that at least he wasn't incompetent. Turning his attention back towards his book Ethan asked her, "Tempest, I need something for secrecy or security, to keep people from finding out about you or these supplies. Would you please offer some suggestions?"

Last edited:

SenorLaughsaLot

Why So Serious ?
Lucas Kendall
Tome- Cumulous

Lucas tried his best to stay up as the professor spoke. By now, he really needed his sleep. His head just kept bobbing in and out from drowsiness. Dammit, this class is going to mess up my schedule. I had it all in order and set. Now I have to f****** readjust it. What a bother. His legs started to tap anxiously, he hated change.

He already had a set schedule for his everyday life. If that were to be messed up, he would be out of it for days. Although it may drive him insane, he was willing to do it for the class. I'll do it... for the damn class... for the damn magic.

The professor continued the lesson, explaining the dangers of now being a witch. He instructed the students that they may want to find a hiding place for their book, or they should charm it. They must be kept away from prying eyes. Lucas looked at Cumulous for a moment. He opened the book , "Why, hello. I'm back with a question, my friend Cumulous. Do you have any protective spells I can use on you?" he said softly to his spellbook.

As he waited for the response he returned to the professor's lecture. The next thing to do was to keep shut. Well, of course. It wouldn't make any sense to tell every damn bloke out there about magic now, would it? Tuning back into the professor, “Next, if you don’t want to look like you've become a hermit,” added the Professor, “You’ll need to work on your schedule. And skipping sleep doesn’t work." Damn straight! The professor also offered to help anyone brew a sleep potion, if needed. Note taken.

The professor then proceeded to conclude the lecture by emphasizing how the magic has to be kept secret. He explained that not only mortals, but other witches as well are a danger to all of us. Lucas looked back at Cumulous, "I'd like to ask you something. Do you know what the other books are like? You can't trust everyone." He made sure he spoke quietly enough so no one would hear him, he'd have to take extra precaution from everyone and everything.

Last edited:

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Leonardo "Leo" Silverstone
Professor Grueshaw's classroom
Tome - Henbane

Professor Grueshaw continued to lecture. He mentioned that everyone should work out their sleep schedules. Having these midnight meetings would take a toll on his sleep, but Leo figured he'd manage. He usually had energy to spare, and the class was only a hour long, not an all-nighter. He could always take naps throughout the day if he really needed it.

Leo paid closer attention to the next part. The Professor had said to be very careful about performing magic around others outside of class, and not to tell anyone about it. He knew every story had bad people who wanted to get their hands on these books for malicious purposes, so the warning was valid, but Leo wasn't sure how well he'd be able to keep this from his closest friends and family who weren't witches. He'd feel guilty keeping this from them.

His arm shot up. "Professor, I don't think everyone would be that bad. After all, you entrusted all of us with these books," He gestured to the other students. "This may sound like a cliche, but surely there must be some good people in the world we can trust. And I'd like to think I'm a pretty good judge of character." He said with a grin.

Then, he looked down at his book to see new words on Henbane's pages.

Oh, of course, there are quite a number of low level spells you can try out. If you know how to sew you can make your own Invisibility Cloak simply by following the proper rune pattern. Or you could make a Tin Star for a slight boost in luck! Actually many beginners find Talismans construction easier than potion brewing, probably because the materials are easier to find. There are several types of Pendulum, a simple talisman you can make to aid in divining and defense.

Leo's face lit up. "Ooh, a Lucky charm! I think I'm pretty lucky as it is, but having more luck can't be bad right? Let's see that Tin Star."

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
~Prof Gureshaw~

One boy’s hand shot up, but he asked his question before waiting to be called, “Professor, I don't think everyone would be that bad. After all, you entrusted all of us with these books. This may sound like a cliche, but surely there must be some good people in the world we can trust. And I'd like to think I'm a pretty good judge of character."

“I‘m sure many of you are good judges of character,” agreed the Professor, “But you are still teenagers, not much trained in magic, so for the time being it would be safest to exercise as much caution as possible. It’s not that no one is trustworthy, it's that finding out who is trustworthy by trial and error may be a grave mistake. Many experienced witches are capable of disguising themselves as the sweet and innocent, and the familiar.”

“As for me trusting the lot of you with these spell books, no magical education would be possible without such an exchange, but rest assured, I do have safeguards in place.”

“Alright, let’s wrap this up,” announce the professor stuffing his book under one arm, “Homework, when you show up tomorrow, I want each of you to have selected one spell you’re going to try this week, okay?”

@ (Billy Mays) Xavier - Burgundy
(Eh, yeah, it just seemed awkward, you described conjuring, then used the name of the magic trick done via conjuring instead of the action.)

Burgundy took a moment before responding with new flourished letter;

Oh,well… I suppose that is a good question, but there are so many things to consider. I think could see myself enjoying being a man, or a woman, if I wasn’t a book, you know. I guess I’ll have to get back to you on that.

As for your spells:

You will need:
A hard floor
White chalk
Metal scraps
One of the diagrams below

Draw one of the diagrams below on the floor with the chalk, depending on which ring you want to make. Place enough metal for a ring in the center of the design (about a coin’s worth will do in most cases). Chant, ex hoc metalli anulus fieri, until the metal starts to glow, within seconds it should transform.

Below the instructions appeared three diagrams, the first for a plain round ring. The second for a flat ring with wavy patterns engraved in it, and the third for a ring or three woven bands.

You will need:
A hard floor
White chalk
A nice fabric
Thread
Yarn
Pillow stuffing

Draw the diagram below on the floor. Place your materials in the center and chant; pillow fieri ex istis, until the materials begin to glow.

Below the instructions appeared another diagram.

Rusty’s ink fade out, leaving a faint impression, and new words faded in;

Yep, I do. Let’s see:

Double Hidden Cache - Hide stuff where even someone who knows it’s there can’t find their way in.

Magic Box - The extra dimensional spaces of this box makes hiding things a snap.

Bootlegger Bottle - This bottle pours out moonshine (or other substances) when you want it to, and water when you don’t.

@ (Jean Grey) Lovina - Brimstone
(TVTropes for this, that’s quite entertaining.)

Brimstone’s page cleared, and new letters faded onto existence;

Animate Bones - This spell gives the user the ability to use skeletons as puppets.

You will need:
A source of bones - such as those from a food animal or a cemetery
Powdered mummy
A amethyst amulet
An easily portable instrument

You will need to wear the amethyst while performing this spell. Sprinkle mummy over the bones, or graves of bones, you wish to control. On your instrument, play the following melody:

A short and simple music sheet appeared in the instructions.

Imagine the bone’s actions in you mind as you play, and watch what happens!

Bones will stop moving if you stop playing, so make sure to get them back in their graves.

Speaking Skulls - Need a good laugh, or to entertain some morbid friends? Make some speaking skulls!

You will need:
1 or more skulls
Powdered mummy
A amethyst amulet
1 book per skull

You will need to wear the amethyst while performing this spell. Set each skull on top of a book and sprinkle them with mummy. Will them to speak, and they will speak out the words of the books you have placed them on.

@ (DVB) Diego - Ebony

Ebony’s page swept clean, and new words formed;

Getting paranoid, are we? How about these?

Triple Lock - Lock any room, and be triply sure it stays secure.

Crescent Moon - Attach this beautiful talisman to your bag when you go out to detour thieves.

Fundamental Talismans, No. 23 - No collection of charms and talismans is complete without a talisman to protect your belongings. Fundamental Talismans compiled by Edgar Mann.

Spell Lock - Someone undoing your spell? Then lock them out!

@ (Balightning) Ethan - Tempest

A list started forming on Tempest’s pages;

Fundamental Talismans, No. 14 - No collection of charms and talismans is complete without a talisman to protect you from mind control. Fundamental Talismans compiled by Edgar Mann.

Fundamental Talismans, No. 23 - No collection of charms and talismans is complete without a talisman to protect your belongings. Fundamental Talismans compiled by Edgar Mann.

Letter Trap - Capture intruders in a storm of book pages.

Watchmonster - Who needs a watchdog, when you could have a monster?

Magic Box - The extra dimensional spaces of this box makes hiding things a snap.

@ (SenorLaughsaLot) Lucas - Cumulous

Cumulous seemed like a laptop coming out of sleep as large letters popped onto the page;

Well of course I do!
Simplest enough is emergency lockout! Chose a password and once you’ve said it I won’t respond to anyone who doesn’t know it, even if they manage to make themselves sound like you! All you have to do is say “Cumulous, lockout” then give me the password you want to use.

I could also use Letter Trap to protect myself if you wish, but I’d rather not.

… Yes, unfortunately, you can’t trust every book. Crow and Sear are bit mischievous, and Ebony and Brimstone tends to lean towards darker magic, the book whose spells you really need to watch out for are Tempest’s!

@ (Monster Guy) Leo - Henbane
(Hint: Let’s assume the school has a shop class)

Oh boy! Tin Star is a great starting project! I bet you’ll want to get started right away!

Tin Star - Make your very own lucky star! This light luck boosting talisman has little to no Pendulum Effect!

You will need:
A sheet of tin (you can use a flattened can as well, but it may not be as pretty)
Metal snips
Hammer and nail, or small drill
Copper tape
Solder
Flux
Paint brush
Soldering Iron
Chain or thread to hang your star from

This is a fairly simple project. First take your metal snips and cut a star from the tin sheet. Make a hole to attach your chain or thread to later using the nail and hammer, or drill. You may pound designs into your star with metal tools is desired. Wrap the edges of your star in copper wire, paint flux onto the copper tape, and melt solder into the copper. Attach you chain or thread and your star is ready to go!

Last edited: