• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Professor Layton Series

Aegon

So is Miracle Mask a good place to hop onto the series or not?
Your experience wouldn't be severely hindered by starting with Miracle Mask, but I'd recommend playing the previous game, Spectre's Call first. For an ever fuller experience, you could play SC and then watch Eternal Diva before playing MM, since there are references to those two in MM (and it seems like they'll play a significant part in the sixth game, Azran Legacies). :p

Flame Mistress

There's also the fact that the main villain is only introduced to players in Spectre's Call (Last Specter in the US) - in Eternal Diva and Miracle Mask, the game assumes that the player knows about the villain already.

Am I the only one surprised by the fact that Eternal Diva is tied to the sixth game as well, and not a standalone, like I originally thought it was? It was a cool movie - with loads of plot holes, but anyway - I'm still surprised that it's linked to the sixth game, too.

Also...

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
This series and Pokemon are one of the few reasons I still own a DS and I am upgrading to the 3DS XL. I've played all the games in the series and when I went through a purge I got rid of them, now I am slowly getting them back. I just need to pick up Diabolical Box. I plan on picking up Miracle Mask around Christmas time. While some of the stories and the plot devices they use are a bit of a leap in terms of being able to actually solve the mystery. I was looking into the Zelda DS series and the Ace Attorney series because I heard it was in the same vein as Professor Layton. As an adult gamer, I can definitely see the appeal for this series and I would recommend to anyone who hasn't checked out this series to give it a shot. All the games are nothing short of addictive.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
This series and Pokemon are one of the few reasons I still own a DS and I am upgrading to the 3DS XL. I've played all the games in the series and when I went through a purge I got rid of them, now I am slowly getting them back. I just need to pick up Diabolical Box. I plan on picking up Miracle Mask around Christmas time. While some of the stories and the plot devices they use are a bit of a leap in terms of being able to actually solve the mystery. I was looking into the Zelda DS series and the Ace Attorney series because I heard it was in the same vein as Professor Layton. As an adult gamer, I can definitely see the appeal for this series and I would recommend to anyone who hasn't checked out this series to give it a shot. All the games are nothing short of addictive.

i agree completely, i love professor layton and zelda.
i personally just started playing ace attorney, but yes it is addictive.
on a totally other note has anyone heard the Diabolical box puzzle/asassins creed remix? it is suprisingly good.
and again on a totally other note, did anyone else notice that when phoenix wright points, his arm goes up and his finger angles down, but when professor layton points his arm angles down and his finger curls upward?...idk just something i noticed.

Flame Mistress

Ooh, that's cool. I really like the music shown so far in this game - it stays the Layton style, which I'm glad about. Maybe it's different in the trials, but anyway. As long as the majority of the game is Laytonesque music, I'm fine. Layton and Luke look a bit better in 3D in this game than Miracle Mask, too (though not as good as Phoenix, who looks like a proper bishounen in 3D).

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Finally got round to the first game, hopefully gonna get the next 4 too. That 7th puzzle in the tower, I swear to god whoever made it is a genius. Can't figure it out for ****, and anything I do won't work. Gonna have to result to using a walkthrough in the end, but that's probably all I'm ever gonna need. Game's great, and I love the story. That ferris wheel scene though, now that's a highlight. If the series gets better with each installment I can't wait for what's ahead.

Flame Mistress

Finally got round to the first game, hopefully gonna get the next 4 too. That 7th puzzle in the tower, I swear to god whoever made it is a genius. Can't figure it out for ****, and anything I do won't work. Gonna have to result to using a walkthrough in the end, but that's probably all I'm ever gonna need. Game's great, and I love the story. That ferris wheel scene though, now that's a highlight. If the series gets better with each installment I can't wait for what's ahead.
If I remember correctly, I was stuck on that 7th puzzle for weeks. I think I somehow figured it out by guessing - there is no way my nine-year-old self could have solved that through logic. I totally loved that ferris wheel scene - it's just so suspenseful and hilarious at the same time (I never looked at a ferris wheel again without thinking that it would suddenly fall apart and run me/my character/whoever was near it over). And it definitely gets better with each installment, don't worry (maybe with the exception of Spectre's Call, though).

Flame Mistress

Holy flip, it's been released now in Japan, right? It's already the 29th over there!

Gah, this game looks totally awesome. If this doesn't get a European release I think I may wither and die from disappointment. And it looks like they get into quite a lot of trouble and action... poor Luke. Is it weird that now I ship Layton and Maya together after watching this?

Also, is it true that Lord Jeeken Barnrod (aka the prosecutor guy) is voiced by Mamoru Miyano? Because if that's indeed the case the awesomeness of this game just gets doubled.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Holy flip, it's been released now in Japan, right? It's already the 29th over there!

Gah, this game looks totally awesome. If this doesn't get a European release I think I may wither and die from disappointment. And it looks like they get into quite a lot of trouble and action... poor Luke. Is it weird that now I ship Layton and Maya together after watching this?

Also, is it true that Lord Jeeken Barnrod (aka the prosecutor guy) is voiced by Mamoru Miyano? Because if that's indeed the case the awesomeness of this game just gets doubled.

layton and maya huh? i cant really even picture it xD
i dont know if he's voicing him, atm im just hoping it gets to the US.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I, honestly, don't even care about Japanese voice actors as they all sound roughly the same to me. I only do complain when English voices just don't plain work on certain characters.

I find it quite weird that the download puzzles start to have different difficulties. A hard one just comes first before an easy one...

Flame Mistress

I, honestly, don't even care about Japanese voice actors as they all sound roughly the same to me. I only do complain when English voices just don't plain work on certain characters.

I find it quite weird that the download puzzles start to have different difficulties. A hard one just comes first before an easy one...

Really? Maybe it's because Japanese basically sounds like Korean with the letters all jumbled up, but I can always tell Japanese voices apart. I do wonder who they'd use to voice Phoenix and Maya if they do decide to localize it, though.

Yeah, the difficulty seems to fluctuate between the puzzles, oddly enough. Still, they're all unexpectedly entertaining. Makes every day worth waiting for.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I have always been interested in this series, but for some reason or another I have never played any of the games. I am currently tracking a few online and found a few games in the series for sale at my local GS, which game do you guys recommend I play first? Or does it not matter which one I play first?

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
I have always been interested in this series, but for some reason or another I have never played any of the games. I am currently tracking a few online and found a few games in the series for sale at my local GS, which game do you guys recommend I play first? Or does it not matter which one I play first?

it doesnt really matter but it would be best to start with "the curoius village" or "the last specter" the former is the first one they made but the latter is the first storyline wise.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
To which I ask, what is bad about placing 2nd? You must dislike Luigi.
Well it sucks to be Weegee (who's awesome). I just had the urge to quote Futurama and when the professor says his famous words, it's usually bad news.

Anyways, awesome results, still hoping for it to come overseas though.