• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Professor Layton Series

Flame Mistress

With Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask coming out tomorrow (technically) in Europe and on the 28th in the US, as well as the crossover with Ace Attorney coming out on the 29th of November, I thought it would be nice to have a discussion thread.

So yeah, this is the thread for discussing, speculating, and chatting about anything to do with the Professor Layton series.

For those of you who don't know, Professor Layton is a franchise that consists of five games, with a sixth one with a gazillion placeholder titles scheduled for release in 2013 and the aforementioned crossover with the Ace Attorney series scheduled for release in November 29, 2012; an animated film, with an unannounced live-action film (apparently) in production; a manga adaptation; and three novels (though the latter two in the list have only been released in Japan).

To kick things off, here's an article on how Layton fans in Europe (take that, US!) can get a chance to win a limited-edition, Layton-themed travel tag. I don't know who many of you live in Europe, but it's still interesting.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
0__0

I thought it was coming out mid-November. If that were the case, I wouldn't have blown $100 on comic books today...

Oh well, the series is honestly nothing new but with how most video games are, it's refreshing. Love the series, the puzzles are all great challenges. Plus they nail the European-feel (until the climax).

Silver Bolt

Undying flames
I only played two games of this series and I liked them. The puzzles are fun and the story is decent enough. Looking forward to the new one. Hopefully I'll remember to pick it up when I get the chance.

FusionKT

*cough*
I really enjoy professsor Layton games. I've always enjoyed puzzles and the ones in this series are always great.

Aegon

These games are really fantastic. Lost Future's probably my favourite, though I do like how Curious Village spiced up the traditional murder mystery scenario.

Miracle Mask is quite promising; I'm on the third chapter. I'm liking the transition to 3DS.

Flame Mistress

These games are really fantastic. Lost Future's probably my favourite, though I do like how Curious Village spiced up the traditional murder mystery scenario.

Miracle Mask is quite promising; I'm on the third chapter. I'm liking the transition to 3DS.

Lost Future is my favourite, too, closely followed up by Miracle Mask. The characters didn't look too bad in 3D, actually. And apparently the events in the games + movie in the prequel trilogy all tie up... I can't wait for Azran Legacies/Legacy of the Super Civilisation/whatever the sixth game's called.

Also, Level-5 did a better love story in one video game than Stephenie Meyer did in four books.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Also, Level-5 did a better love story in one video game than Stephenie Meyer did in four books.
Not a fan of the books either but seriously people, these jokes are old and were never funny.

On topic, tomorrow...

MonkeyX

I just realized that Miracle Mask is coming out tomorrow for the US, I had it in my mind the release date wasn't till monday so now I'm super excited for it.

Unwound Future is easily my favorite in the series, the plot was absolutely amazing and that ending really got me. I'd say that Last Spector was my least favorite so far, I thought the plot was just kinda meh.

Aegon

Spectre's Call is my least favourite, too. It was a bit silly.

Lost Future is my favourite, too, closely followed up by Miracle Mask. The characters didn't look too bad in 3D, actually. And apparently the events in the games + movie in the prequel trilogy all tie up... I can't wait for Azran Legacies/Legacy of the Super Civilisation/whatever the sixth game's called.
How much of Miracle Mask have you played? This becomes clear somewhat early in the game. I was surprised to see a connection to the sixth game. There are also many references to Misthallery.

Flame Mistress

Spectre's Call is my least favourite, too. It was a bit silly.

How much of Miracle Mask have you played? This becomes clear somewhat early in the game. I was surprised to see a connection to the sixth game. There are also many references to Misthallery.

I've actually finished it already, and I've started another save file, which I'm three chapters into. There's also a hilarious reference to Curious Village later on.

Really, the only complaint that I can think of I have about this game is that... actually, I think that might count as a spoiler.

MegaSerperior

<--- My life
Professor Layton is amazing!!! I'm so mad I don't have a 3DS though. :( I'd have to say Unwound Future is my favorite. The ending was so sad. I'm really obsessed. And my Halloween costume this year is a cool cosplay of Emmy.

Aegon

I've actually finished it already, and I've started another save file, which I'm three chapters into. There's also a hilarious reference to Curious Village later on.

Really, the only complaint that I can think of I have about this game is that... actually, I think that might count as a spoiler.
Heh, already? I finished Lost Future that quickly, and I kind of wish I hadn't, so I'm going slightly slower with this one (as I did with the previous game). It's so hard to put these games down.

I think that Randall is the Masked Gentleman, though that's a bit too obvious... I'm guessing Angela and her husband are somehow involved. I also have a strange feeling that Layton will put on the Mask of Chaos, or the other one (I don't recall its name). I'm not sure about the miracles that have been occurring, though I think they're circus tricks.

Last edited:

Aegon

So, what's up with the daily puzzle downloads? They haven't worked for the past three days.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Got the game and...the daily puzzle isn't working. At least I'm not the only one having this problem.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Me three.

Are you getting the SD thing message? I unplugged the SD Card like it told me to, but nothing happened. I then decided to delete the additional data (in "Add-On Data"), but that didn't work either.

Perhaps the Daily Puzzle isn't out yet?

EDIT: As it turns out, the puzzles are released weekly from the day of release, 7 puzzles in a package. In other words, check next Sunday for a batch of 7 puzzles.

Last edited:

Flame Mistress

I downloaded the game from the eShop.

This is the reason I don't know how to get it registered on Club Nintendo. =p (I linked to my account after I'd already bought it.. does that make any difference? But enough about my stupidity.)

I haven't tried downloading the daily puzzles yet, but thanks for the heads up.

About Miracle Mask's ending...
I thought Randall would be still alive. It just didn't make sense to me why they would make such big fuss of a supposedly minor character who only appears in Layton's past. The ending was so heartwarming... Not the tear jerker I was hoping for, but I think others have had enough of that already. Only complaint I have is that Descole (one of my favourite characters in the series, despite the fact that he's very similar to Grings Kodai from the Pokémon anime, who I despise =p) only appeared for something like three minutes. The awesome clip after the spoilers did make up for it, though - I mean, if Descole being a ninja accompanied by bouncy sound effects isn't awesome/hilarious, then I don't know what it is.