• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Project: Gym Leaders

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Well, with two defunct threads now, I suppose third time is the charm. I hope to not abandon this before its end. You may have remembered the time when I was drawing in a 3D-like style. It was more or less a hit-and-miss style for me, so there's no 3D look to be seen except for the backgrounds. So it should be more pleasing to look at.

This is a little project of mine I'm doing as practice when it comes to different character designs, especially the Pokémon--and also because there are a lot of them whom I haven't drawn at all. What I'm doing is drawing the gym leaders with their signature Pokémon. For the Kanto and Johto gym leaders, they'll have the designs from their remakes. The upload order is at random (with the upload date being just as sporadic), but they'll be in order on this page. They're also available for viewing on my DeviantArt. (No, I'm not selling pictures if that's what you're thinking. They're just for show.)

Now, I may be doing the gym leaders, but I tend to pretend the fifth generation doesn't exist. So if you want me to draw the Unova gym leaders, they'll need to be requested. Just don't expect them until after the others are finished unless you really want to see them.

I also have this habit of putting their names in bad puns for the heck of it.

Hope you enjoy! (Apologies for the large files, I'll shrink them when I can.)

Program used: PhotoShop CS4
Files: .png

Let's Brock and roll!
brock.png

Redheads are so Mistyfying!
mistyb.png

Bet you none of the flowers here are from the Ericaceae family.
erikaq.png

She is the Sabrina-gotiator.
sabrinab.png

Gee, Ol' Vanni must be plotting something...​
giovannij.png

Don't be such a Cissy.
cissy.png

It's sure Bugsy outside.

bugsyh.png

Such a Whitney little joke she made, it kills me every time--literally.
whitneyv.png

Hang thine head in grave Mortyfication, mortal.
mortyc.png

We'd like more Jasmine rock!
jasminen.png

Too much Clair de lune for my personal tastes.
clairl.png

Flannery will get you nowhere--and you can't fool me again.
flannery.png

Flyin' away on a Winona pray'r.
winonal.png

Tate this and Liza all alone!
tateandliza.png

The Fantina the opera is there inside your mind. *SHOT*
fantina.png

Last edited:

Quinnzel

Insanely Great
Brock and Erika look the best in my opinion. I'd recommend studying female anatomy a little more... Sabrina and Clair look kinda weird to me.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
very ice drawing... *WOW!* but the eyes are kinda... weird?

They're all really good, but Erika's eyes scare me.

Yeah, the eyes are a bit strange, I'll give you that. And I love eyes, I really do, I enjoy drawing them. I think they looked better when I was doing the 3D look at the time.

And I think I did that on Erika on purpose or something, I don't remember. I made her look a bit stoned, which I suppose makes sense since she's constantly around fumes*SHOT*

Brock and Erika look the best in my opinion. I'd recommend studying female anatomy a little more... Sabrina and Clair look kinda weird to me.

I'm not too happy with the poses, or it could be because I had to shrink them a bit (and the legs are too short on Clair, or the shading isn't that great, one of the two). Everything was drawn by scratch and from my head, so I rarely check the poses in the mirror (and I don't have a wooden model to check them with). They bother me as well, so I can see what you mean. I draw females more than I do males, which is why I'm more confident with the women than the men. Which probably isn't a good balance xD.

Thanks for the comments! I'll keep them in mind for the next batch.

Psychic

Really and truly
These are really neat! Gym Leaders definitely need more attention, so it's always fun seeing them all badass with their Pokemon and such. :>

I really like the overall setup for each picture with the backgrounds and floating badges. I find the badges do stand out more in some pictures, but it doesn't really take anything away. All the Pokemon look pretty good - I especially like Psyduck and Dragonair, though I find it a little weird that Kindgra seems to have its tongue sticking out. XD The Gym Leaders themselves are where it starts getting a little iffy, as others have said.

Brock looks excellent, and I like Claire and Misty, too, especially their poses. I didn't notice Claire's legs were a little short until someone pointed it out, but maybe if you make her torso shorter you can extend her legs? The eye on our right (her left eye) is also a bit big in comparison to her other eye, making it look a bit wonky. Otherwise, I really like the way she came out, especially cuddling with Dragonair. <3 Misty's anatomy is pretty perfect, but her mouth seems a little too huge, and her eyes could be a bit smaller. With Erika, again, mostly good, though the socks and sandals weirds me out a little, and the problem with her face is that her forehead is really big, and I think she could look a little more calm/serene if her eyes weren't so large. Lastly, with Sabrina, I mostly like her (psychic aura ftw), but her breasts are a little high, and instead of her knee being raised, it looks more like one leg is just shorter than the other.

They all look pretty good otherwise, tough. You have a pretty solid grasp of anatomy, hands, hair and so on, it's really just little things you need to watch out for, like really huge eyes. Still very nice/fun pictures, and I'm looking forward to more. :>

~Psychic

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The Incredibly Pretty Girl!

I really like the overall setup for each picture with the backgrounds and floating badges. I find the badges do stand out more in some pictures, but it doesn't really take anything away. All the Pokemon look pretty good - I especially like Psyduck and Dragonair, though I find it a little weird that Kindgra seems to have its tongue sticking out. XD The Gym Leaders themselves are where it starts getting a little iffy, as others have said.

Thank you! I wanted a neat-looking shape for the backgrounds, so I used the clock's shape at home for it. Of course, I had to position them around so they would fit, and so the set-up mixes itself up from picture to picture. (Kingdra's not sticking out its tongue by the way xD, does it even have one?)

But yeah, I think I might be slacking off on the gym leaders here and there. This was mainly a way to trick me into drawing more Pokémon than I'm used to. One of these days, I'll get to fixing them... maybe.

I like eyes xD... so I've always made them rather big. Guess it's that kind of style I've settled into or something. But some of the gym leaders have smaller eyes, so they should look better than the wide-eyed innocent-looking gym leaders here.

I figured Erika's forehead was big, pffft x3. I was just going by the picture reference while making different poses. And she was made a stoner on purpose... accidentally.

Lastly, with Sabrina, I mostly like her (psychic aura ftw), but her breasts are a little high, and instead of her knee being raised, it looks more like one leg is just shorter than the other.

I had trouble with the leg, and I did try to fix it. I should've tucked the leg under, but I didn't think of it at the time. And I get picky when everything's colored in when it comes to editing, which has to be a fatal flaw with me. But like I said, I'll go back in there and fix them one of these days.

All righty, here's the next picture! I'm not thrilled with the pose, but it screamed "Whitney!" to me. *shrugs*

Miltank's saying "See you in Hell," by the way.

Such a Whitney little joke she made, it kills me every time--literally.
whitneyv.png

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
Wow, I'll have to say that these are great and all. Like the style and the poses you put them in, kinda not your usual style when it comes to drawing such things. The backgrounds are also very nice and like how you also put their Pokes with them. These are, I have to say, impressive. Hope you continue on ^_^

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The Steel-Clad Defense Girl

Thanks, nathandg0924! What do you mean by "not your usual style", though? I've drawn like this for a few years now. I don't know, I must be mixing something up.

Here's the next installment! I enjoyed drawing it, though Steelix was a pain to give an illusion of size... and design. But I managed to get it, which I feel is a big accomplishment for me.

And I know the background sucks, I couldn't think of anything.

We'd like more Jasmine rock!
jasminen.png

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
Thanks, nathandg0924! What do you mean by "not your usual style", though? I've drawn like this for a few years now. I don't know, I must be mixing something up.

I know a lot of artists and you're style is admittedly, different from a lot of them, especially on Pokemon fanarts like your project and it's really good. A lot of artists on these kind of fanarts I notice try to make their's look like the official art and there are those, like some of my fave artists, who incorporate their own styles in their own work, making it unique, standing out from a lot of others, like yours for example. Anyways, you're welcome and by the way, great job on doing Jasmine. Her more humble appearance makes a pretty good contrast with the threatening look of Steelix. ^_^

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I know a lot of artists and you're style is admittedly, different from a lot of them, especially on Pokemon fanarts like your project and it's really good. A lot of artists on these kind of fanarts I notice try to make their's look like the official art and there are those, like some of my fave artists, who incorporate their own styles in their own work, making it unique, standing out from a lot of others, like yours for example. Anyways, you're welcome and by the way, great job on doing Jasmine. Her more humble appearance makes a pretty good contrast with the threatening look of Steelix. ^_^

Ah, I see. When I first started drawing the Pokémon characters, I went with how they looked on the anime, and that style carried over as the years went by. You can kinda see this in the eyes and the body style. But for the most part, I took bits and pieces of what I liked about the style from other sources. I can't remember where I got the idea for how to incorporate the hair, but I believe that came from Higurashi somehow. I don't know. The big hands and shoes feet come from Digimon XD.

Thanks! I hadn't noticed that contrast until you pointed it out xD. But she seemed that way from the very beginning anyway. I've always wondered why this sweet, shy girl had this scary-looking Steelix. (I've hated that Steelix for a long time...)

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
One with a Fiery Passion That Burns!

Didn't take me as long as I would've thought. But I did spend a good few hours or so when I started it this morning in my classes. Needless to say, my arm's aching, and my back's aching, and my eyes are droopy. Yup.

It wasn't too bad this time around. Fire background sucks, but oh well.

Flannery will get you nowhere--and you can't fool me again.
flannery.png

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The Mystic Seer of the Future

Thanks, though can you mention why they look cool next time, so I know it's not spam? You're new, so it's sorta forgiven, but it's just a heads-up from now on, okay?

All righty then.

This one was fun to draw, pretty much. Yup. Got nothing more to say here.

I couldn't think of anything interesting for the background, so that's what you get. Yeah...

Hang thine head in grave Mortyfication, mortal.
mortyc.png

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
Flannery is probably my favorite.

From the way she is presented, and the way most of her body is facing, you can tell that she has alot of love for her Torkoal. Right back at the Torkoal as well, judging from the way the eyes are closed and its head is slightly back towards her.

Two things that caught my eye. One, I thought you did a really good job on the glow coming from Torkoal's back. It looks very real, and the very slight red shading you put on the shell around the hole was a nice touch. The second things is one of Flannery's bangs that are in front of her right eye. I can see her eye through the hair, which isnt a bad thing (I liked it), but it kept drawing my attention away from the rest of the picture. I can see that it would be hard to do perfectly because you're using solid waves of color for the hair. IRL, there would be slight gaps between hair that would make the eye actually visible; is that what you were going for? lol, I hope that made sense.

Good job!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Flannery is probably my favorite.

From the way she is presented, and the way most of her body is facing, you can tell that she has alot of love for her Torkoal. Right back at the Torkoal as well, judging from the way the eyes are closed and its head is slightly back towards her.

I was trying to show that Torkoal must think he's pretty fly loved. It's kinda more of a vanity pose, but he does look too calm to be vain.

Two things that caught my eye. One, I thought you did a really good job on the glow coming from Torkoal's back. It looks very real, and the very slight red shading you put on the shell around the hole was a nice touch. The second things is one of Flannery's bangs that are in front of her right eye. I can see her eye through the hair, which isnt a bad thing (I liked it), but it kept drawing my attention away from the rest of the picture. I can see that it would be hard to do perfectly because you're using solid waves of color for the hair. IRL, there would be slight gaps between hair that would make the eye actually visible; is that what you were going for? lol, I hope that made sense.

XD I forgot about that eye. I probably should've not drawn that eye fully, but meh, I do like how it looks. I was going to have some kind of highlights in her hair, but I forgot to do it XP. It makes sense, yes indeedy.

Thankies!

Chances are I won't have an update until next week or the following week, the work's piled up on me here. I have a handful of pictures in the works, so whichever one comes out next depends on my mood and patience.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The Bird User Taking Flight into the World

I found time after all.

Worked on her on-and-off, experimenting with different poses for her. After finding a suitable pose, I transitioned between this and other pictures just because. Something tells me the background should be darker or something, since it looks like Winona and Altaria blend in, but I'll let ya'll decide.

Either way, I do like how it turned out.

Flyin' away on a Winona pray'r.
winonal.png

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
Wow, and I thought you'd never make an update. On you're last one with Winona, I like her pose and Altaria looks pretty good too, the background in my opinion actually pretty much compliments the picture overall and if you'd use a darker colored background, it would probably clash with the overall thing. Morty and Flanerry also look great.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Mikan Island: Cissy

Thanks, nathandg0924 ^_^. Why wouldn't I update? I promised myself to complete this project, and I'm gonna stick to it.

Speaking of sticking to it, surprise! Never thought I'd touch on Orange Islands, did you?

Out of all the Orange Islands gym leaders, she's the only one whose challenge I remember clearly. Guess the other three weren't that interesting to me, or something.

Not thrilled with the water and even Cissy's pose (gosh, she was hard to pose), but meh.

(And yes, I cheated with the background by getting the picture of Mikan Island.)

Don't be such a Cissy.
cissy.png

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
I'm impressed

I like that you included the backround, as it highlights what's going on. One thing that really stuck out to me was her display of balance. It looks very realistic, like she is actually trying pretty hard to remain upright. Another portion I liked was how her hair is being blown in front of her left eye; very nice touch. My favorite drawings/pictures are ones where the faces of the people are not completely visible. I've noticed this in some of the other stuff you've posted.

Blastoise is great too, but one thing about him/her confused me. The holes in the cannons look more like ovals than circles, along with the shape of the cannons being somewhat flat. I say that because from the anime and and games, the holes are very round, which would make sense as that would be the smartest way for water to be expelled. Obviously, this is your own creation, so those things dont apply, it was just the one thing that stuck out for me.

Great job