• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Project Lavender ('Draw em All') by Quinnzel

Quinnzel

Insanely Great
Project Lavender ('Draw em All') by Quinnzel [Renewed - 6/4/13]

[ ~ RENEWED as of 6/4/2013 ~ ]

Well, I said I'd try again in June and here we are! Plenty of time on my hands now
when I'm not filling Etsy orders. Okay! I'll be changing things up a little bit.
The style of the line art will remain consistent. I really dig it for what I'm trying to
achieve here. The coloring methods may differ however. I plan on using the project
to experiment with blending, brushes, etc. as well as just having fun.

On a side-note, I am a bit sad to see Souku's project gone upon my return. I hope
she returns to it someday! :)

[ ~ Project Lavender ~ ]
by Quinnzel

Greetings and welcome to Project Lavender! I must say I've been thinking
about doing this ever since the wonderful Souku first started his own one-a-
day Pokémon project last year. I made several attempts in 2012 to kick-start
my own project but none ever made it past a few days. I just couldn't get
inspired and keep up with it. Well, this year I feel very differently. I put a lot of
money into buying a pro tablet (a Wacom Intuos5 if you must know) last year
so dangit, I'm going to use the heck out of it!

So what's my spin? Well, similar to Souku's Project 365, it's RNG based. I only
know what Pokémon set I'm drawing next after I've finished the current one.
They will be done one evolution set at a time at my leisure. I'm not going to
promise one a day like before, but I'll try not to let too much time pass between
them. My inspiration? Psychedelia. Confusion. Madness. Comedy. Of course,
it's called Project Lavender after Lavender Town. The Pokémon I'll be drawing
aren't necessarily meant to be scary or disturbing, but I do hope they can provoke
some sort of reaction be it a slight giggle or a "wtf?" or even "I hate this thing."

To answer a question you might already have, yes, Generation 6 Pokémon will
be shuffled into the mix as soon as X & Y are released (or as they are
revealed).

Now, you! You can help by commenting and giving me feedback. My
inspiration and motivation is more likely to stick around if I have some support
to back up my efforts! Don't worry, I can take any criticism you throw at me.
Thank you for even clicking on this thread! May your curious eyes be
entertained.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[ ~ Newest Addition ~ ]

#001 - Slugma Family
June 4, 2013

[ ~ Progress ~ ]

New Series
#001 - Slugma Family

Abandoned Series

#001 - Exeggcute | #002 - Dewott | #003 - Kakuna | #004 - Cresselia | #005 - Tynamo
#006 - Landorus | #007 - Manaphy | #008 - Chespin | #009 - Fennekin | #010 - Froakie
#011 - Electrike | #012 - Kyurem | #013 - Gastly | #014 - Flygon | #015 - Taillow
#016 - Arceus | #017 - Nuzleaf | #018 - Masquerain | #019 - Bellsprout | #20 - Totodile
#21 - Weavile | #22 - Zorua | #23 - Leafeon | #24 - Raichu | #25 - Skiploom
#26 - Diglett | #27 - Spheal | #28 - Garchomp | #29 - Horsea | #30 - Duosion
#31 - Gorebyss | #32 - Miltank | #33 - Bulbasaur

[ ~ Other Ways To Keep Up With The Project ~ ]

deviantART | Tumblr

Last edited:

Quinnzel

Insanely Great
[ ~ Previous Commentaries ~ ]

#001 - Exeggcute
January 1, 2013

Kicking off the year with Exeggcute. The RNG was kind to me today. Perhaps the eggs could have been a bit more defined, but this thing was already pushing 4 hours as it was. Must get better. Must get faster.

#002 - Dewott
January 2, 2013

I'll admit, I'm not a fan of the way this one turned out. Any attempt to shade it came out looking blotchy and sickly and I tried three or four different ways of doing it until I was eventually forced to settle on the dreaded burn tool. I didn't even have time to fill in a proper background.

However, I had a lot of fun with the line art. I'd like to go into further detail next time... and I should probably start earlier in the day on these as well instead of waiting until the last few hours.
Tumblr Tags: #lol i hate this one so much #why am i even posting it

#003 - Kakuna
January 3, 2013

I think I'll stick with the no background thing and focus on making the Pokémon more psychedelic and ridonkulous. There wasn't a lot to be done with Kakuna since he has a very blocky design, but I like this one better than Dewott. The lineart was again fun and so was his... eh... tie.
Tumblr Tags: #kakuna is a blast at the office during crazy tie fridays

#004 - Cresselia
January 4, 2013

Cresselia. What is this thing I don't even know. I thought it's little pink flap things on the front looked like arms although I've never seen them extended as such. Well. If they weren't arms before, they're arms now. Kind of. Big pink blobby arms. Yeah.
Tumblr Tags: #somebody tell me what cresselia actually is #i really don't know

#005 - Tynamo
January 5, 2013

I was brainstorming this all day and I think I got exactly what was in my mind this time. That's a good sign. It'll make the details on Pokémon later in the project much easier. This is probably my favorite of the lot so far.
Tumblr Tags: #come here and give your grandma tynamo a big kiss

#006 - Landorus
January 6, 2013

Phew! I almost didn't make this one in time but I finished roughly 11:30pm. There was a minor family emergency. I also messed up the line art a little bit on the head by drawing directly on my original sketch layer. I didn't have time to just redraw it. Because of all the setbacks, the coloring didn't get the typical time and attention I like to give it. Also, can I just say I really don't care for these stupid genie legendary things? I'm not a fan of the designs nor typing. Even their Therian Forms look stupid. Ugh.
Tumblr Tags: #landorus does p90x all day every day

#007 - Manaphy
January 7, 2013

Still dealing with the minor family emergency so I'm thankful that RNG gave me a simple Pokémon today. Shortest amount of time spent on one of these yet. Only took me a couple hours to get it on paper to the finishing touches.
Tumblr Tags: #it's got nuts on it's tentacles forsrs

#008 - Chespin
January 8, 2013

Well, obviously this isn't Electrike. I decided to just go ahead and do the three Gen 6 starters for the next few days since they're brand new and pretty exciting! I love all of them, but Froakie is easily my favorite. It's a little hard to get a feel and intuition for things that are so fresh... I didn't get a lot of time to really think about it, but I think it came out alright nonetheless.
Tumblr Tags: #**** chespin but I have amazing ideas for froakie hahahahaha

#009 - Fennekin
January 9, 2013

Oh, Fennekin... with your tiny little neck and big bushy tail and hairy old man ears. Seriously, in the official art of this thing, it's head is bigger than it's body. Go look at it. Go ahead, I'll just wait here. I had a really rough time on the fur with this piece. Not necessarily because it was hard, it was just so goddamn boring. Gotta find a new way to do it I guess.
Tumblr Tags: #even in the official art it's head is bigger than it's body

#010 - Froakie
January 10, 2013

Froakie is definitely my favorite of the three new starters and will certainly be my pick when I get Y in October. This is one of my favorites in the series so far next to Tynamo. He's all drunk. And high. And tripping. And lord knows what else. I've been experimenting around with shading and color. Nothing too fascinating, but it might change the way things look in the future.
Tumblr Tags: #go home froakie you're drunk... and high

#011 - Electrike
January 11, 2013

I went for a simpler outline this time so I could focus on a new fur technique. I think it worked quite well for the first go. I would like to find a happy medium between the two where I can make the outline just as ridiculous as some of the previous in the series and at the same time maintain a good coloring standard. Oh yeah. And I gave him claws. He looked like a royal wimp without them.
Tumblr Tags: #i have no joke for this green dog thingamajig

poix_the_yak

I stay noided
I would say you copied Souku but these look pretty great :3 I love the creepy theme to all of them. They remind me of all the freaky close-up scenes in Spongebob.

That Froakie is disgusting. Awesome.

Quinnzel

Insanely Great
@Skyler 99 - Souku was definitely a huge inspiration to do this. I've been thinking about it for a long time! I swiped his layout because it's perfect and he's got it down to a science. Also, those close-up art stills in Spongebob were always my favorite part of the show. Thank you! :)

#012 - Kyurem
January 12, 2013

I actually finished this one 30 minutes past midnight. I only had a couple hours to work on it at most so I had to sacrifice the coloring. As a result, Kyurem looks rather... dirty. I really need to stop leaving these things to the end of the day.
Tumblr Tags: #kyurem has massive cottage cheese thighs... with icicles

#013 - Gastly
January 13, 2013

Yay, I finished early for once! I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to do with Gastly though I veered off course and wound up with lots of "happy accidents" as Bob Ross might say. He's a big floating smile of rainbow... stuff. Ended up quite a bit darker than I anticipated... I'll just have to live with that. Always learning!
Tumblr Tags: #it's kind of hard to look menacing when your eyes glow all the colors of the rainbow

#014 - Flygon
January 14, 2013

I was kind of bored with the style so I threw some flair on it. Silly flair. Really silly flair. I oversaturated the living hell out of him and just let my mind go nuts on the extra details. Yeah. I don't know what happened either... but I kind of like it.
Tumblr Tags: #yo dawg we heard you like wings so we put wings on your wings so you can fly while you fly

Last edited:

Quinnzel

Insanely Great
Bumping this up a little. Just to let everyone know, the thread will always be updated by midnight with whatever that day's drawing was. ;)

#015 - Taillow
January 15, 2013

Okay, this was definitely a little inspired by the Game Grumps when JonTron said "Twitchy-*** Taillow" during their run of Pokémon Emerald. I had a pretty clear vision and this is another one that turned out exactly how I had it in my mind. It makes me laugh, so I hope you get some joy out of it too.
Tumblr Tags: #now you've got ****in' twitchy *** taillow over here

Runandwine

Knight Trainer
omg that kakuna MUST to be the best hahaha
I really liked the idea of making them creepy <3 and omg good lucky on making them all haha I've always see people starting a project of drawing all the pokes... it's awesome, I would never reach the first 150 hahaha
Great art dear! Going to look forward for the next ones :'D

Quinnzel

Insanely Great
@Runandwine - Thank you for the support! I'm so looking forward to doing them all. Got lotsa neat twists in my head. :)

#016 - Arceus
January 16, 2013

What is up with RNG giving me so many darned legendaries? I'm barely halfway through the first month and I've already done five! That's nuts. I've never been a big fan of Arceus. I don't really dig the idea of an all-powerful Pokémon god (akin to my beliefs in real life lol). His design is rather sci-fi... I couldn't really figure out what was up with the big ol' ball in his midsection though. I just made it a mass of tumors.
Tumblr Tags: #contrary to what arnold might say- it's totally a tumor

Quinnzel

Insanely Great
@General Nonsense - lol, it does. Nailed it. :)

#017 - Nuzleaf
January 17, 2013

Eh. Nuzleaf kinda blows. I was going to do a reference to the Nuzlocke series by drawing John Locke's head on him, but I ultimately decided against it. I was thinking of potatoes the entire time I was drawing him. I don't really know why...
Tumblr Tags: #boring pokemon make boring pieces

Quinnzel

Insanely Great
@General Nonsense - I wouldn't worry. I don't think it can even lift it's giant potato hands. :)

#018 - Masquerain
January 18, 2013

I'm still at my friend's house where I did this one so I don't have time to commentate because ahhh, my battery is going to die soon! Uh. Yeah. It's a big face. Wheee.
Tumblr Tags: #look at it's cute wee face awwww

Quinnzel

Insanely Great
Thank you guys for the comments on Masquerain! I do believe it marks the end of that particular style from here on out.

#019 - Bellsprout
January 19, 2013

I didn't want to do the Pokémon I was supposed to do today (Totodile) because I lacked the time to make it precisely the way I want it to be. I just had my friend pick a number and went with that. Bellsprout. Spent only maybe 10 minutes on it, give or take. You can really see how little I gave a **** about it so I won't be submitting it to any groups. Maybe nobody will notice.
Tumblr Tags: #clearly i gave all the shits about this look how wonderfully awful it is omg

#020 - Totodile
January 20, 2013

I'm shifting away from the normal style into sketchy speedpaints. I realize with school starting in a few days and my wanting to blossom in other areas of art, I have to shift around a little bit. The ideas will remain largely the same, I'll just be kicking up the pace. This of course leaves a lot of room for imperfection, but I think they'll only get better as we go along.
Tumblr Tags: #**** yeah speedpainting #look at that ****ing huge *** jaw omg

#021 - Weavile
January 21, 2013

Trying to refine the style a little more using deeper blacks and such. Weavile turned out better that Totodile but ist still far from perfect. We'll see where this goes in the next few days.
Tumblr Tags: #nothing clever to say about this one either

Last edited:

Quinnzel

Insanely Great
#022 - Zorua
January 22, 2013

Okay, now I need to work on toning down the saturation a bit... I think the overall style is starting to work a little better now though.
Tumblr Tags: #holy saturation problems batman

#023 - Leafeon
January 23, 2013

I actually did this one this morning (on the 24th) because for whatever reason, I was just having a really hard time trying to figure it out last night. I was fighting with myself on the subject of style... ultimately I decided that since I scaled the pictures down a little (there was really no reason for them to be as huge as they were), I still have time to do it the old way. And I like it better. Sorry for the bout of randomness I had there. Ha!
Tumblr Tags: #rawr face but it's posed like it's picture day or something

#24 - Raichu
January 24, 2013

Another one that I actually finished the day morning after the day I was supposed to do it. Got too caught up playing Lego LOTR last night! I suppose it doesn't really matter so long as it get's finished, eh? Keep a lookout for Skiploom later today too. Also, I will be doing two Pokémon on both Saturday and Sunday due to being busy on Monday and Tuesday (going to see Muse... twice). Whee!
Tumblr Tags: #RAINBOW LIGHTNING ****ING WHAT

Last edited:

IJuggler

how much words
I really like the maggot-infested looking stomach that Raichu is sporting there. The back bottom teeth on the right actually caught my attention for being wonky, and I think they fit a bit more than straight jaggedscary teeth in this case, especially considering how zombielike this little rat is :p

Must say, I love all of these, but I think I like the speedsketches more. They sacrifice some of the polish, but they have a funkier style that matches the tone better.

Quinnzel

Insanely Great
@IJuggler - I am glad that you like the speedpaint style! But I do think I'm going to stick with the other one through the rest of the project... I don't want to jump around too much or things won't look as uniform. I definitely will be trying to incorporate some of the techniques of the other style though! Thanks for your feedback! :)

#25 - Skiploom
January 25, 2013

**** Skiploom.
Tumblr Tags: #**** skiploom and it's whole family useless flower thing what is it even

#26 - Diglett
January 26, 2013

Diglett's simple design leaves a lot of room for interpretation... that is, what the **** is going on underground. I had a bunch of ideas ranging from drills to a mass of tentacles, but eventually just settled on a big angry mouth. Dugtrio should be even more fun... whenever that comes up.
Tumblr Tags: #diglett eats a lot of dirt

#27 - Spheal
January 27, 2013

Okay, nothing really creepy or ridonkulous about this one and I won't lie, I did kinda rush through it just to get it out the way. It's okay to have a cute one every now and again, yes? Yes. Okay. Enjoy cute lil Spheal.
Tumblr Tags: #this one ended up being cute for some reason

Quinnzel

Insanely Great
@General Nonsense - Diglett has been my favorite of the more simplistic designs so far. :)

#28 - Garchomp
January 28, 2013

Aaaand, we're back. Muse was pretty exhausting and it didn't help that the first Pokémon I got to do for the catchup process was Garchomp. You might notice this looks a little different from the previous ones... this was done on my iPad and I think I'll stick with it for a while. It allows me to retain a large size (due to the retina display) and the program I'm using just seems to be better for speedpainting overall since it has better blending than Photoshop.
Tumblr Tags: #now with even moar spikes!?!!!1111?!11!

#29 - Horsea
January 29, 2013

Oh, and did I mention I injured my drawing hand at Muse? Talk about fuuuuun ****! Wow. Second drawing on the same day and I'm already getting the hang of this program. Okay. We'll see you with the next Pokémon tomorrow!
Tumblr Tags: #mouthgina dentata my friend has a sick mind