• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Project Mew (1222)

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Totally an essay time:
I know this episode was dialogue heavy and I can understand why people disliked the episode as a result, but to be fair I didn't think the Project Mew thing would be resolved in one episode anyway, this is merely the appetiser to set us up for next week. I thought it was interesting that they brought up that Mew can be as "merciful as an angel or as cruel as a demon" as it adds more emphasis to Mew's characteristics and as we saw during the episode, Mew seemed curious during the parts it was seen flittering about. When Gary questioned what Tsurugi would do when they find Mew, his silence (and Weavile's subsequent expression) had me curious as to what his intentions would be.*
Staying on the Gary tangent, when Tokio was talking about how perhaps pokemon are waiting for the right person to catch them and Gary saying he can't deny that line of thought, my immediate thought was maybe he was thinking about Ash and Pikachu.
I liked how the shape of Go's sensor looked like a GBA and the LED resembling an inserted cartridge and it being green is a subtle nod to Emerald, the game that Faraway Island is accessible in.
One thing I will say is that when the Skarmory cut the rope that the group was using, I thought that Go, Tokio and Asahi had their gooses cooked as they were merely just hanging on to the cliff face with no harness and it got me thinking that this situation is more precarious for Go and Tokio, two 10-year olds than it would be for Asahi factoring in the difference in upper body strength.
Not gonna lie, Tokio possessing a Virizion** caught me off guard, especially as when he said he had "just the right pokemon" to deal with Swampert, I thought that maybe his Bayleef evolved into Meganium, but thinking about it, him having a legendary makes sense in the context that he said he caught it in his last trial mission during the events of JN113 and in that episode, Gary and Go caught Regidrago and Regieleki respectively. Also, Go looking up Virizion on his pokedex marks the first time that a Unova legendary has received a dex entry in the anime.
One thing Journeys has done on multiple occasions is draw up pokedex entries of various pokemon throughout the generations and incorporating them into the episodes and this episode is no different when Asahi uses her microscope and discovering a small hair embedded in a half-eaten Cheri Berry, this is reflected in Mew's pokedex entry in LGPE which states that Mew's short fine hair can be viewed under a microscope.
One final thing I'd like to touch on is that I like how similar the inside of Table Mountain is to the Tree of Beginning from M08 as both are isolated locations inhabited by fossil pokemon that Mew has been sighted at and are guarded by Gen 3 legendaries.
I wasn't expecting the segment at the end involving Team Rocket and Sprigatito, that part was good.

*I'd also like to point out with the whole evil intentions thing, in the radio drama "The Birth of Mewtwo", Miyamoto (Jessie's mum) went on a mission for Madame Boss to capture Mew but she disappeared in an avalanche after encountering it.
**Although it didn't occur to me that Go having Suicune and Tokio having Virizion are subtle nods to the fact that there is data for paradox pokemon resembling Suicune and Virizion in Scarlet/Violet, though this is probably coincidental.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Watered down how?

That sounds like a fun idea, I wouldn't mind seeing that happen.

But I also like the idea of Mew just being a total wild card and doing whatever it wants because it can, no matter if the person is good or evil.
In the japanese version, Mew was honestly an asshole and wanted to make the clones disappear because they weren't natural, it wasn't Mewtwo starting the conflict exactly, he just wanted to prove he was worthy of existence due to his power and enragement at Dr Fuji. That's AFAIK without re looking it up so if anyone has anymore knowledge on that please input

edit: "Again, things are a bit more complex in the Japanese script. Mew has observed all the cloning antics, and comes to the conclusion that all genetically-modified Pokemon are evil and should be destroyed." from the link how the US version of Pokemon Changed it's meaning

Last edited:

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
In the japanese version, Mew was honestly an asshole and wanted to make the clones disappear because they weren't natural, it wasn't Mewtwo starting the conflict exactly, he just wanted to prove he was worthy of existence due to his power and enragement at Dr Fuji. That's AFAIK without re looking it up so if anyone has anymore knowledge on that please input

edit: "Again, things are a bit more complex in the Japanese script. Mew has observed all the cloning antics, and comes to the conclusion that all genetically-modified Pokemon are evil and should be destroyed." from the link how the US version of Pokemon Changed it's meaning
I checked Dogasu's comparison between the original version and the English dub, and he said:

Side Note
It's rumor debunking time!

Whenever people talk about the differences between the Japanese version and the English dub, one of the things that's brought up quite often is this exchange:

Meowth: "Mew's got a good point."
Jessie: "What's it saying?"
Meowth: "Mew says you don't prove anythin' by showin' off a lot of special powers and that a Pokémon's real strength comes from da heart."

The rumor goes that in the Japanese version, Mew states that unnatural life - clones, basically - are inferior to the real things and must therefore perish. And that 4Kids mistranslated all that and changed it to the "real strength comes from the heart" thing instead to cover up Mew's desire to see other Pokémon die.

The thing is...all of this is just made-up nonsense. Here's what's actually said in the Japanese version of this scene:

Meowth: "Oh I see, nya."
Jessie: "What is it?"
Meowth: "It's saying "The originals are the real deal. They won't lose to the copies if it's just them street fighting each other without using using special attacks or anything like that"...nya."

With the famous "Ash's Butterfree dies in the Japanese version" rumor, it seems that someone misheard the word shison ("offspring") as shisou ("injuries and death") and went from there. But for Mewtwo Strikes Back? I have absolutely no idea what was misinterpreted in these lines to come up with the whole "Mew thinks the clones should perish" bull. Was there a shitty fansub out there that claimed that this is what was being said? Did someone mis-remember who said what and when? Did someone just pull this out of their ass? Or was this all some weird combination of all these things?

Whatever the case may be, rest assured that Mew is not the dick in the Japanese version that some claim it is.

So it seems to be just a rumor?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I checked Dogasu's comparison between the original version and the English dub, and he said:

So it seems to be just a rumor?
Well, based on that, Mew still seems to be saying that the originals are superior and is not as completely non-malicious as the English version. Just not to the "all clones should perish" level.

It's still hilarious how the English dub's message was closer to Shudo's intent though with its "Pokemon shouldn't fight at all" moral because, being as censor-friendly as they were, 4Kids couldn't say "Pokemon shouldn't fight to the death".

Sham

The Guardian of War
Anyway Horace is the rival to own a legendary Pokemon and as best rival should.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Someone should let all these champions know about Project Mew so that they can stack up their legendaries for the next PWC smh

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Coming off of the episode two weeks ago, I can definitely see why some people would think this episode isn’t great. It’s definitely has a lot slower paced and heavy on the exposition. Some of that exposition should have happened earlier - we should have learned a little about Tsurugi and Asahi’s background earlier and had more Goh/Tokio interactions in the lead up to the PM final.

But this episode also serves as a nice setup for the rest of the Project Mew arc, however episodes it ends up being. It’s a nice breather episode that also sets up some plotSome of the scene framing and dialog makes it seem like there is something suspect about one or more Project Mew members. They’re also really quick to blame Mew for everything that‘s happening.

I liked some of the call-backs to Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, and it is kind of neat how both Goh and Tokio have the legendary Pokemon that supposedly have a paradox form in Paldea.

The Team Rocket segment at the end was cute. My daughter loved seeing Sprigatito on-screen as that is the starter she picked in Violet.

Even the finale is 2 episodes when it should be atleast 4
Has that been confirmed by any official sources yet? Or are we all still making the assumption that PM is 2 episodes because of 135’s title?

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Has that been confirmed by any official sources yet? Or are we all still making the assumption that PM is 2 episodes because of 135’s title?
It hasn't been confirmed. People believe it's the finale because the characters are fighting Mew in the next episode and the summary basically says "Will Go manage to reach Mew and fulfill his dream?!" which makes it seem like next episode is the finale of Project Mew.

Last edited:

GMax Helios

Ash: Melmetal
Mallow: Shaymin (released)
Lillie: Magearna
Gladion: Silvally
Goh: Eternatus (gave it to Leon) and Suicune
Quillon: Single Strike Urshifu
Danika: Rapid Strike Urshifu
Horace: Virizion

Who's next, Sada/Turo with Koraidon/Miraidon since they did that in the games? Come to think of it, I wonder if the writers will pull the whole "They're dead and replaced with ai" from the games.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Gladion and Silvally erasure smh. Seriously though I'm happy he got Virizion. Was hoping he'd get Cobalion but Virizion does fit better and is my second favorite of the 4.
Oh right. I blame SM for that because I'm more than positive they didn't openly start stating that thing was a legendary until USUM.