• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Project Mew (1222)

vondecayle

Once again, I don’t like how the anime INSISTS in portraying the female characters as weaker. Asahi is meant to be an accomplished chaser, she owns a legendary Pokémon, yet she has to flee a Solrock and Lunatone despite her Azumaril having a type advantage while Tsurugi’s Weavile defeats Kabutops and Aerodactyl despite being weak to rock types.
I fail to see how she was portrayed as weak here? Are defensive strategies weak now? Her Azumarill tanked two attacks with light screen and then stopped their attacks once more (one vs two), helping them escape in the process. It was probably better to run than to waste energy fighting pokemon they are not after.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Only saw a glimpse of the episode before I had to go but it looked great. Based on what others have said, it's a dialouge heavy episode so I was going to have a rewatch anyway.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Tomiyasu’s crusade against the anime fan continues!

He is trying to make people as evil as Hunter J gain Mew! GOH WILL USE MEW TO UNDO AMOURSHIPPING BECAUSE TOMIYASU HATES XY FANS AND WANTS TO UNDO EVERYTHING FROM XY! ICONOCLASM!
So you admit you‘re a religious fanatic of XY because you downright compared everything Tomiyasu does to Iconoclasm?

I’m going to wait for the Triumph of Orthodoxy after this.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
That was an okay episode. Kinda slow, as others have already pointed out.

The most interesting part was the talk about how Mew could be merciful as an angel or cruel as a demon, and judging by the preview, Mew appears to be going out of control? I quite enjoy the concept of Mew being this playful, fickle creature just doing whatever it pleases, but a part of me fears that they're going to introduce an external cause behind Mew's behavior in the next episode (like those weird crystals), and I hope that's not the case. I kinda want Mew to just be an asshole, lol.

Also, is it just me, or was there some weird tension with Tsurugi in this episode? It could just be his general vibes, but there were a couple of lingering shots on him, like when Tokio talked about Pokemon looking for a trainer they want, or when Gary asked him if he would catch Mew if he found him.

Other random notes:
- Virizion! That took me by surprise lol. As others have pointed out, kinda funny Goh has a Suicune while Tokio has a Virizion. I wonder if that was intentional given what we know from S/V.
- Mewtwo reference! I appreciate continuity like this.
- I felt bad for Grookey, it just wanted to help. Hopefully it will get its shining moment vs Kyogre (Mew) in the next episode.
- SPRIGATITO! I didn't expect this segment to be a thing, but I'm glad it is. Hopefully it's an indication of things to come (S/V anime).

Next episode is looking a lot more eventful and exciting, so I'm looking forward to that.

Last edited:

Risrhayne

I get that this is the series that encourages 10-year olds to travel the world and catch Pokémon, but the uber serious tone this particular episode had REALLY made me question the ethics of taking a trio of 4th graders on an expedition to the center of the world usually surrounded by storms, climbing a mountain ancient fisherman described as something that eats people to study the direct ancestor of all Pokémon that may or may not brutally kill you because it’s a God in the body of a toddler. I can just imagine being in your 30s, training your body and Pokémon in the hopes of joining a treacherous expedition only for some kids not even old enough to see a PG-13 movie getting selected.

In any case, like others have said, this was a dialogue heavy episode that’s unfortunately marred by telling us how big a deal this is instead of showing us. But that’s been a problem since PM’s rather late introduction. Most of this episode was just explaining the mysterious-ness of the island. It was almost cringey tbh and once again NOT helped by the majority of this group being 10 year olds. “This place probably hasn’t been touched by civilization in millions of years. Let’s bring some elementary school kids with us, they’ll appreciate this”

Not being able to use their pokeballs WOULD have been a challenge if the available walking Pokémon weren’t extremely useful. I was practically screaming at my phone “have Azumarrill and Weavile make ice platforms so you don’t have to climb using your fingertips”. Then they reached the waterfall and were like “oh nooes, if we touch that we’ll be launched back down” like they DIDN’T have a hydro pump-knowing water bunny who could divert the water temporarily so they could get by safely.

It took forever, but Grookey finally realized that they’ve been useless pretty much since their capture and hopefully next episode will deliver on this in the form of a new move.

The biggest thing this episode did though was bring up the long-standing question for Goh; What will he do once he has Mew’s attention? It also brought up the idea that Mew could be searching for the right person to catch them.

….which would honestly be a great way to bookend Goh’s story. The vast VAST majority of Goh’s catches were done without him really asking if those pokemon wanted to be caught. He saw the mon, he threw the ball, he got’em. The biggest exception however was appropriately his first catch; Scorbunny. He changed his whole childhood dream for the barely-seen nowadays bunny because they wanted to be with him. Perhaps if Mew decides to join him, he’ll pivot his dream again and perhaps decide to catch legendaries.

Also, I love how Goh was apparently a tech whiz and made a whole freakin’ energy tracking device based off Mewtwo, but telling Grookey not to smack things like a piñata is too much.

The light’s at the end of tunnel, folks.

vondecayle

Also, is it just me, or was there some weird tension with Tsurugi in this episode? It could just be his general vibes, but there were a couple of lingering shots on him,
I noticed the same thing. Like something is off.

I’m also glad that Mew’s lore is being expanded a bit by mentions of it being as good as an angel or cruel as a demon. After all Mew is almost an entity with its own free will and being limited to a cage may not be what he wants.

MunchMunch

I feel like most of the beef that fans have with Goh is that his goal of completing the National Dex has allowed him to break some rules that the anime has had since it's inception, including having at least six Pokemon caught per trainer (he's caught way more than that), having Ash own at least one of the current generation's starter Pokemon (Goh caught all three), and most importantly, being unable to catch a legendary Pokemon (Goh has caught Suicune, Eternatus and Regieleki).
Because a lot of Pokemon fans don't like episodes that aren't battling or evil team destroying the world.

Eevee903

You are awesome!
The dumbness here is astounding
You have people here who say they don't care about Goh episodes, claiming they don't watch it or ever will watch it, yet they pester on infesting the episode thread for an episode they won't watch for no reason but to be annoying. Pathetic, which is the norm for most of Goh haters here on Serebii

And again, since some people seem to not have passed fifth grade and have basic coherency, but Project Mew chasers and hunters are different. Hunters attack their targets and capture them by force, even using machinery to injure them with the intent to sell them for profit or as a hitjob
Chasers challenge the legendaries to a Pokemon battle, like you do to Pokemon in an attempt to catch them with pokeballs and earn the legendary trust and admiration to be their trainer

Basic coherency seems to be lacking here. Also it's a trend with PM episodes, dialogue and character heavy, people can't understand **** so start flaming and talking out of their ass rather than waiting for subs.

"Spirigatito was the best thing about this episode" bro you don't even know the episode yet. Does Goh's intelligence frighten some of his haters here? Coz logic isn't working in this thread it seems
Aren't you still used to it that some people just don't like Gou? That won't sadly change rn. And if he potentially continues in Paldea, it will be another three years of the same old song. Get used to it or ignore it, because it is a fact that for some people Gou will be a controversial or a Mary Stu ,even after 3 years.

Kind of funny how people talking about Serena being controversial,but Gou is just the same. People don't get emotional characters with deep development it seems that isn't shown and is way more subtile.

I guess the only "emotional" character that gets a pass by many on here is Lillie. Even when Lillie did nothing remotely interesting emotional after the Aether Arc until she returned in Journeys.

I guess emotional people=boring characters. But the average Pokemon fan has the brain of a peanut here,so it is not surprising.

My personal problem is that Project Mews execution is a hit or miss. The concept is great and Gou's development in it subtile and not on the surface. Yet the execution at times can bring the whole thing down.

Like the Kingdra one. It was a great idea: let Gou and Ash explore the depths of the ocean for a mission. It just felt anticlimactic ln the end in my opinion.

Or JN110 and JN113 had those new rivals. They were wasted, should have been introduced alot sooner to make a real impact on Gou.

Morax

King of heroes
Aren't you still used to it that some people just don't like Gou? That won't sadly change rn. And if he potentially continues in Paldea, it will be another three years of the same old song. Get used to it or ignore it, because it is a fact that for some people Gou will be a controversial or a Mary Stu ,even after 3 years.

Kind of funny how people talking about Serena being controversial,but Gou is just the same. People don't get emotional characters with deep development it seems that isn't shown and is way more subtile.

I guess the only "emotional" character that gets a pass by many on here is Lillie. Even when Lillie did nothing remotely interesting emotional after the Aether Arc until she returned in Journeys.

I guess emotional people=boring characters. But the average Pokemon fan has the brain of a peanut here,so it is not surprising.

My personal problem is that Project Mews execution is a hit or miss. The concept is great and Gou's development in it subtile and not on the surface. Yet the execution at times can bring the whole thing down.

Like the Kingdra one. It was a great idea: let Gou and Ash explore the depths of the ocean for a mission. It just felt anticlimactic ln the end in my opinion.

Or JN110 and JN113 had those new rivals. They were wasted, should have been introduced alot sooner to make a real impact on Gou.
Your average anipoke consoomer has the brain of an Ostrich. They swallow everything thrown at ‘em.

Gingertail24

Alot of goh hate is overblown, but I don't like dismissing some criticism as "well they just don't understand subtlety of goh development"

As for project mew episode, I did like mew characterization. Mew is basically a child. Basically doing what it wants. It can be playful and can be cruel at times. Which I think is perfect way to describe it

This episode is quite slow, but that means it is no way bad. I actually quite liked it. It just sucks that tsurugi and asashi are just so underdeveloped. There basically exposition machines 90% of the time we see them.As someone said, pm is a great concept that can rival contest, but execution kills it big time imo

Queen Cynthia

Dignified Queen of Sinnoh
I really liked this epsiode. Now that we've reached the end of Journeys, we got a nice reminder of one of the major and most important aspects of the Anime (and the games btw): Travelling the world and having lots of adventures.
The episode was a prime example of both a dangerous and exciting expedition and as opposed to some of those rather harmless expeditions Ash sometimes went on in the past that weren't even dangerous, it was made clear right from the start today this is the "real thing".
Also, I loved the nice display of many rare Pokemon. An episode well done!

I get that this is the series that encourages 10-year olds to travel the world and catch Pokémon, but the uber serious tone this particular episode had REALLY made me question the ethics of taking a trio of 4th graders on an expedition to the center of the world usually surrounded by storms, climbing a mountain ancient fisherman described as something that eats people to study the direct ancestor of all Pokémon that may or may not brutally kill you because it’s a God in the body of a toddler. I can just imagine being in your 30s, training your body and Pokémon in the hopes of joining a treacherous expedition only for some kids not even old enough to see a PG-13 movie getting selected.
I do understand what you mean. Compared to Tsurugi and Asahi, Go and Tokio in particular will always appear as the little, inexperienced kids. However, the "age problem" (that's how I call it) has been there since day one, so I stopped complaining about it a long time ago and accepted it as a fact. Well, under normal circumstances, Ash would be in his mid-30s now, which would be much more realistic than keeping him 10 years forever.

Now, this is just my personal theory but for some strange reason I can't help but think some of the Project Mew members, or at least Professor Hodaka, are secretly evil and here's why:
It was confirmed by Tokio and Asahi that Mew senses the evil thoughts of people and will treat them accordingly. In the preview we saw Mew attacking the group relentlessly, so my conclusion is that Mew must sense some of them have evil intentions. Well, we'll see but I wouldn't be surprised if my theory turns out to be true.

Last but not least, we got that short but interesting segement of TRio going to Paldea. I guess this more or less confirms Ash won't quit but go there too because just imagine an Anime with Team Rocket but without Ash. Hardly imaginable if you ask me.

BobbbidyBob

I really liked this epsiode. Now that we've reached the end of Journeys, we got a nice reminder of one of the major and most important aspects of the Anime (and the games btw): Travelling the world and having lots of adventures.
The episode was a prime example of both a dangerous and exciting expedition and as opposed to some of those rather harmless expeditions Ash sometimes went on in the past that weren't even dangerous, it was made clear right from the start today this is the "real thing".
Also, I loved the nice display of many rare Pokemon. An episode well done!

I do understand what you mean. Compared to Tsurugi and Asahi, Go and Tokio in particular will always appear as the little, inexperienced kids. However, the "age problem" (that's how I call it) has been there since day one, so I stopped complaining about it a long time ago and accepted it as a fact. Well, under normal circumstances, Ash would be in his mid-30s now, which would be much more realistic than keeping him 10 years forever.

Now, this is just my personal theory but for some strange reason I can't help but think some of the Project Mew members, or at least Professor Hodaka, are secretly evil and here's why:
It was confirmed by Tokio and Asahi that Mew senses the evil thoughts of people and will treat them accordingly. In the preview we saw Mew attacking the group relentlessly, so my conclusion is that Mew must sense some of them have evil intentions. Well, we'll see but I wouldn't be surprised if my theory turns out to be true.

Last but not least, we got that short but interesting segement of TRio going to Paldea. I guess this more or less confirms Ash won't quit but go there too because just imagine an Anime with Team Rocket but without Ash. Hardly imaginable if you ask me.
Yeah...while Tsurugi seems suspicious maybe the plot twist is that it’s actually Asahi the “evil” one lol

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Reminder that Mew was watered down in the dub of first movie.
Watered down how?

That sounds like a fun idea, I wouldn't mind seeing that happen.

But I also like the idea of Mew just being a total wild card and doing whatever it wants because it can, no matter if the person is good or evil.