• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Project Phoenix

-Raiga-

Well, actually, it isn't. I want this to have a lot more creative process behind it, so we can actually make a quality fakedex that involves real work. Did you read carefully? I'm not trying to be rude, but if you did, you'd notice there is actually rules for this thing. And yes, I did make half of these rules up on the spot.

1. Each person's responsible for their own design, meaning you cannot modify another person's design without their permission.
2. As this is a sprite thread, criticism is inevitable and it's expected you handle it maturely.
3. This is not a chat thread.
4.Since we want to be original, we can only have so many Fakemon based on certain animals. We can't have too many canines, for example.
5. As I said before, I will not accept verbal put-downs of ideas. We obviously can't use every idea, so rather than rejecting them, we should decide what's best for our region.
6. No new types. New types are always really lame and it's hard to define how to classify a Fakemon as a type that we know nothing about.

One or two of these is specifically mentioned in the first post, and believe me, since I was expecting this type of response I've read through it 2-3 times already. And if you had it in this format that would be one thing, but having it surrounded by "lets be a group and make a great dex" doesn't help the cause.

I don't really see how I'm being cheesy for having a giant "pep talk",

"It is meant for us to all gather together"
"It will, however, help bring us all together."
"We're all going to get together"
"We need to feel like a team"
"don't feel bad"

If I'm being honest, its a freaking spriting community. Were not going to war or part of some kids club, you do a sprite and go.

because I'm really just explaining how real design teams usually work and how the process of thought and creation would go. It's best we design Pokemon ideas together, but relegate the different ideas based on our areas of expertise. So somebody who's awesome at making cute fakemon could design some of those, whereas somebody that does "wacky" ones could design those kind. I'm shooting for at least a few Fakemon designed by everyone. And yes, I know I'll have to be lenient with the rules. If somebody just wants to submit any old sprite, they can as long as they actually put effort into describing what it is, the rhyme or reason, and improve the design if people think it needs work.

Well, as much as I could disagree with much of this, I don't really have to. The fact it has 20 posts with not one single sprite says it all. I could have done this in mine, but discussion was the main thing I had to compromise on with zephyr flare, perhaps sweet may was a bit more forgiving.

Its actually ironic the main people I closed the previous thread for are saying how great this is because they can just post ideas and leave. However I will edit this post with a sprite in a bit, so maybe people will actually do something.

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
I'm working on some sprites and i've been trying to get some spriters to help also.

Right now, i'm working on the duck grass starter. I'm not that good at spriting, but i'm working on them becuase no one else has really done it.

I do understand what -Raiga- is saying, so i think this should go into a serebii club or something.

I like the Thunder/Lighting alternatives :3 I think we can get a little more original than a Fly, honestly, though. It's kind of basic. There are lots of cool bugs out there. I really like the idea of the Bug/Fire Scorpion and Bug/Water Snail. Those could even be "version exclusives" or whatever. :3

Re: -Raiga- : I think what Yoshinichii was getting at was to make this a community project. The "Community" Region that you made seemed very selfish and self-oriented. Everyone kind of just threw in whatever they had and didn't seem to care what other people thought or contributed; it was all very individual. This being a large discussion thread and a group effort is essentially the idea, to bring back activity and discussion and life to the forum. I dunno, I say if you don't support the project, simply don't be part of it, don't bother bringing it down?

Re: Thermometer Cactus Idea : If we make it a cactus, then it seems like it should be a Grass type, so I'm kind of against that. I like it as the Porygon/Rotom/Castform of the region.

Idea for the "event" legendary (ie Mew/Celebii/Jirachi/Shaymin/Victini), perhaps a cute little Phoenix? Appropriate for the thread x3 If everyone likes it, I'd be happy to start a rough draft on it.

Since everyone is going all "D: Why aren't there any sprites posted yet!?" I'm going to just show this.
iaza19433996641700.gif

That's my Fire/Poison snake Pokemon (its shiny version technically but regardless). If you guys want, I can start working on the Fire/Dark snake, I've got some experience with fiery snakes x3

Last edited:

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
Idea for the "event" legendary (ie Mew/Celebii/Jirachi/Shaymin/Victini), perhaps a cute little Phoenix? Appropriate for the thread x3 If everyone likes it, I'd be happy to start a rough draft on it.
That's exactly what I've been thinking.

Since everyone is going all "D: Why aren't there any sprites posted yet!?" I'm going to just show this.
iaza19433996641700.gif

That's my Fire/Poison snake Pokemon (its shiny version technically but regardless). If you guys want, I can start working on the Fire/Dark snake, I've got some experience with fiery snakes x3
that's awesome:D Maybe once I'm finished with my sprites you could edit them and make them better? I have trouble shading and working with the outlines.

So is the fire snake starter confirmed then?

Last edited:
I'm glad you like it! :) I'd be happy to help you out with outlines and shading and whatever else. I'd happily start working on them once we get them decided for sure. I'm kind of against it as a starter since we just had Snivy... But I don't mind one way or another.

And I'm glad we both thought of the Phoenix! Fire/Flying, obviously?

That's a given. I was thinking it could be more cutesy like Mew/Celebi/etc.

I did a super super super quick little sketch of what I had in mind for the Phoenix:
iaza19433913289400.png

Epwna is a Sceptile

The epic turnip king
Ok, I have a sprite for Snall(Snow+Ball).

iaza16041294101700.gif

Anyone can fix it up if they want. Also, I want someon else to design the Khizzard line. Here's a concept, while I'm in the mood.

Flying/Normal line:
1. Freyass(eyass+frey),evolves into Fiercel(Tiercel+Fierce), than into Peregaunt(Peregrine+Gauntlet) I've had these concepts for a while.

Snall is kind of ... lacklustre. It's like someone forgot to paint Voltorb red! D: I think maybe it's just too simple to really work as a Pokemon?

-Raiga-

Re: -Raiga- : I think what Yoshinichii was getting at was to make this a community project. The "Community" Region that you made seemed very selfish and self-oriented. Everyone kind of just threw in whatever they had and didn't seem to care what other people thought or contributed; it was all very individual. This being a large discussion thread and a group effort is essentially the idea, to bring back activity and discussion and life to the forum. I dunno, I say if you don't support the project, simply don't be part of it, don't bother bringing it down?

Bringing it down, and criticism are two different things. While I admit some things could have been handeled better, I don't ever think I should have to act as nice as I even did, much less give "pep talks" to make everyone feel like a family. I had everything set up very easy, you make a sprite if you want, and contribute. In that regard, it seemingly succeed at that more than this one will, with over 100 posts with 80 sprites in only 3 days.

For one thing, I already mentioned I couldn't have as much discussion as we even had in the thread when I got it approved, so don't blame me for that.

And secondly, and simply, the only reason I criticizing it in the first place is that I can see from a mile away it won't succeed at its real goal. As I said, we would have completed what this thead is trying to do 3 times over already if I kept it open, but the fan sprites section didn't improve then, and it won't now in my opinion.

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
here is a rough draft of the map:

PPMap.png

This is just a rough draft, i have no names for anything yet. I just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on the design of the island, and see if it gives you any ideas. I made a swamp, a cave, a large city with a pokemon hospital, a farm, a swamp, but i didn't label them yet.

-Raiga-

PPMap.png

This is just a rough draft, i have no names for anything yet. I just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on the design of the island, and see if it gives you any ideas. I made a swamp, a cave, a large city with a pokemon hospital, a farm, a swamp, but i didn't label them yet.

Honestly I think the concept of islands has been done to death already in too many fan games. I think Fr/lg handled best when they just had a collection of island that weren't connect the the map at all.

Also I'd try and avoid making them with unique shapes like the snake-like one in the middle. It might seem like a good idea at first, but it gets old quick, and honestly I remember the odd shapes of the real pokemon game's maps more than say something shaped like the legendary of the game.

Lastly, just keep in mind I think it would make more sense to make the pokemon first intstead of making the maps. Since when you have the map right away, you'll feel kind of confined to doing pokemon that only fit say a hospital, swamp, or cave, as opposed to any type of pokemon.

Massive reply time.

One or two of these is specifically mentioned in the first post, and believe me, since I was expecting this type of response I've read through it 2-3 times already. And if you had it in this format that would be one thing, but having it surrounded by "lets be a group and make a great dex" doesn't help the cause.

"It is meant for us to all gather together"
"It will, however, help bring us all together."
"We're all going to get together"
"We need to feel like a team"
"don't feel bad"

If I'm being honest, its a freaking spriting community. Were not going to war or part of some kids club, you do a sprite and go.

Well, as much as I could disagree with much of this, I don't really have to. The fact it has 20 posts with not one single sprite says it all. I could have done this in mine, but discussion was the main thing I had to compromise on with zephyr flare, perhaps sweet may was a bit more forgiving.

Its actually ironic the main people I closed the previous thread for are saying how great this is because they can just post ideas and leave. However I will edit this post with a sprite in a bit, so maybe people will actually do something.

Part of creating a great sprite is the creative process. In a group-centric project, you've got to work out the idea with everybody else, so they can help point out the flaws or give you suggestions for how to design it. I didn't want people to worry about immediately posting sprites because I wanted us to get used to the creative process before spriting something.
I'm working on some sprites and i've been trying to get some spriters to help also.

Right now, i'm working on the duck grass starter. I'm not that good at spriting, but i'm working on them becuase no one else has really done it.

I do understand what -Raiga- is saying, so i think this should go into a serebii club or something.
Well, we're not sure on the starters yet, so I wouldn't shade the sprite or anything. Heh. But by all means, sprite it so you can show us what it'd look like.
I like the Thunder/Lighting alternatives :3 I think we can get a little more original than a Fly, honestly, though. It's kind of basic. There are lots of cool bugs out there. I really like the idea of the Bug/Fire Scorpion and Bug/Water Snail. Those could even be "version exclusives" or whatever. :3

Thunder/Lightning opposites really do seem cool. Is anybody up for designing these guys? You have a point about the Fly, though. There's tons of marine bugs we could use, interesting moths and butterflies, and many different unique beetles.

This is exactly what I'm trying to do. Get this place a bit more active by taking things in a different approach. By encouraging discussion and brainstorming, I think it lends itself to a project with a lot more interaction, rather than making us seem like solitary spriters who coincidentally are in the same project.

Re: Thermometer Cactus Idea : If we make it a cactus, then it seems like it should be a Grass type, so I'm kind of against that. I like it as the Porygon/Rotom/Castform of the region.

I agree, though I think we should have a Christmas Cactus Pokemon, especially if we have a desert. Grass/Ground, please!

Well, that would be pretty nifty, even though it was obviously just a metaphor. xP We could have the phoenix and a little pixie thing, ala Shaymin and Manaphy.

iaza19433996641700.gif

Well, I'm a bit confused. Is the Fire/Poison just an example? Either way, a Fire/Dark snake would be lovely. Maybe we could make it a standalone Pokemon like Torkoal and Kuitaran.

I'm glad you like it! :) I'd be happy to help you out with outlines and shading and whatever else. I'd happily start working on them once we get them decided for sure. I'm kind of against it as a starter since we just had Snivy... But I don't mind one way or another.

And I'm glad we both thought of the Phoenix! Fire/Flying, obviously?
Well, I'm a bit worried that Fire/Flying is a commonly used type, but hey. I said myself to disregard past Pokemon in terms of concepts, just like Game Freak did for B/W.
yeah, but we got to can't make it look to much like Ho-oh or Moltres.

That's a given. I was thinking it could be more cutesy like Mew/Celebi/etc.

I did a super super super quick little sketch of what I had in mind for the Phoenix:
iaza19433913289400.png

Looking cute so far! Though personally I think it should have a different sort of eyes, you know? I'll edit the first post with a reference of Pokemon eyes.
Comments in bold due to huge post. xP

Ok, I have a sprite for Snall(Snow+Ball).

iaza16041294101700.gif

Anyone can fix it up if they want. Also, I want someon else to design the Khizzard line. Here's a concept, while I'm in the mood.
Snall looks kind of generic. : P I'd look around at some other snow-based Fakemon for inspiration, or possibly those Ice Cream Pokemon. Try to make the viewer feel chilly, yet whimsical.
Flying/Normal line:
1. Freyass(eyass+frey),evolves into Fiercel(Tiercel+Fierce), than into Peregaunt(Peregrine+Gauntlet) I've had these concepts for a while.
These sound really cool. They could be the second Normal/Flying for our region. If you have any drawing or spriting skill whatsoever, would you be able to sketch up a rough draft?

Bringing it down, and criticism are two different things. While I admit some things could have been handeled better, I don't ever think I should have to act as nice as I even did, much less give "pep talks" to make everyone feel like a family. I had everything set up very easy, you make a sprite if you want, and contribute. In that regard, it seemingly succeed at that more than this one will, with over 100 posts with 80 sprites in only 3 days.

For one thing, I already mentioned I couldn't have as much discussion as we even had in the thread when I got it approved, so don't blame me for that.

And secondly, and simply, the only reason I criticizing it in the first place is that I can see from a mile away it won't succeed at its real goal. As I said, we would have completed what this thead is trying to do 3 times over already if I kept it open, but the fan sprites section didn't improve then, and it won't now in my opinion.
Thing is, none of those sprites were made specifically for the project. This isn't about getting X amount of sprites done in a certain amount of time. Good things take time. We're not Game Freak. I know that. It seems more like you're trying to discourage us from doing things this way than anything else. I personally think the way we're going at is fine. Rome wasn't built in a day. Thank you for your criticism, but this is something I can handle and take responsibility for. If enough spriters want to do it a different way, then things might be reconsidered.

PPMap.png

Heh. I don't think you should of designed a map just yet. We haven't talked about what to do for the region, let alone what shape would it be. Raiga is right, the shape doesn't seem very natural. Almost like it was contrived, if you will. A naturally occurring region would be very jagged-shaped and irregular. Let's focus on the smaller geographical features, like types of towns.

Would you be able to tell me if you know anyone else who's interested in this project?

-Raiga-

Thing is, none of those sprites were made specifically for the project.

...5 of the 46 pokemon sprites weren't original. I know I myself make it out to be a larger amount, but thats more me talking about the originality of them.

This isn't about getting X amount of sprites done in a certain amount of time. Good things take time. We're not Game Freak. I know that. It seems more like you're trying to discourage us from doing things this way than anything else. I personally think the way we're going at is fine. Rome wasn't built in a day. Thank you for your criticism, but this is something I can handle and take responsibility for. If enough spriters want to do it a different way, then things might be reconsidered.

As I mentioned before, I wish you the best of luck and you're doing a perfectly fine job running things, I just feel considering your goal you're not making any sense whatsoever.

You say this is going to revitalise the forum, well considering virtually everything about it is centered around being a TIGHT nit community, you won't be attracting anyone to the actual forum itself.

Secondly, its supposed to be the best fakedex ever, despite there not really being ANY amazing spriter on the board anymore. Someone like LSA, WPS, or klnothincomin could probably outclass then entirety of all the sprites people contribute to project by themselves. If I'm being strictly honest and not holding anything back, yeah there is no timeline(much the same as mine although you seem to think otherwise), but it'd take years of WORK(not fun) to reach that level.

Believe me when I say I'm not trying to demean the project, or "your way of doing things", I'm just simply saying I've done the exact same thing and have it fail(at its real goal that is), and you haven't really shown, at least to me, how any of the changes are going to make it succeed. And even once you take my annoying posts away, your still going to have to reply to walls of text, all the time, and it does get frustrating.

...5 of the 46 pokemon sprites weren't original. I know I myself make it out to be a larger amount, but thats more me talking about the originality of them.

As I mentioned before, I wish you the best of luck and you're doing a perfectly fine job running things, I just feel considering your goal you're not making any sense whatsoever.

You say this is going to revitalise the forum, well considering virtually everything about it is centered around being a TIGHT nit community, you won't be attracting anyone to the actual forum itself.

Secondly, its supposed to be the best fakedex ever, despite there not really being ANY amazing spriter on the board anymore. Someone like LSA, WPS, or klnothincomin could probably outclass then entirety of all the sprites people contribute to project by themselves. If I'm being strictly honest and not holding anything back, yeah there is no timeline(much the same as mine although you seem to think otherwise), but it'd take years of WORK(not fun) to reach that level.

Believe me when I say I'm not trying to demean the project, or "your way of doing things", I'm just simply saying I've done the exact same thing and have it fail(at its real goal that is), and you haven't really shown, at least to me, how any of the changes are going to make it succeed. And even once you take my annoying posts away, your still going to have to reply to walls of text, all the time, and it does get frustrating.
Well, I'm all for trying to advertise this project to other forums with good spriters, but the only one I know of is C-Spriting, which is currently dead. If you know any other forums, please let me know. I want our sprites to be good quality with amazing designs. The best Fakedex ever thing was really just hyperbole. I'm trying to encourage people to use their creativity as best they can. I realize that a lot of our good spriters have left, but think of it as a way for less experienced spriters to develop. I've been spriting and designing Fakemon for years, and although I've yet to win a WSC, I think my Fakemon and spriting skills are decent. It takes hard work to make a Fakedex, you're right. Thing is though, by working hard on something together, we inadvertently have fun while doing it. Heh.

Here's a rough-draft of the Chow-chow Pokemon. It's very generic right now, which is why I'd like somebody to suggest how I could make it look a lot more unique and like a Pokemon.

cowcow.png

I think this ongoing conversation about what the project is and isn't is really just a waste of time. If it succeeds, it succeeds. If not, it doesn't. That doesn't mean we can't have fun, brainstorm, and enjoy it while it lasts.

I can advertise the project on Neoseeker. I'm kind of a head-honcho of spriting over there x3

For the Chow-chow, I like it so far! My biggest criticism is the fact that it looks completely to the side, and very few Pokemon sprites are directly profile. Regardless, maybe adding some stripes or whatever like on the tail could work. Poochyena has little "boots", which could be an easy fix. I really like that it's a "domesticated" kind of snooty dog. We've mostly had those from cats (Persian, Skitty, Glameow for example).

The eye was definitely not finished for the Phoenix xD; Just had to get something there. I think it'll have Ponyta style eyes, which I was too lazy to do in the quick sprite. x3 I'll work on it though!

And yeah, the Fire/Poison snake was just an example. I can work on a standalone Fire/Dark snake :3

^^Yoshinichi^^ said:
Here's a rough-draft of the Chow-chow Pokemon. It's very generic right now, which is why I'd like somebody to suggest how I could make it look a lot more unique and like a Pokemon.
cowcow.png

I would suggest a pattern, maybe some different coloured patches of fluff?

Oh yeah, we need a narwhal fakemon. I'm not the best with concepts, so I'll leave it at that.

I think this ongoing conversation about what the project is and isn't is really just a waste of time. If it succeeds, it succeeds. If not, it doesn't. That doesn't mean we can't have fun, brainstorm, and enjoy it while it lasts.

I can advertise the project on Neoseeker. I'm kind of a head-honcho of spriting over there x3

For the Chow-chow, I like it so far! My biggest criticism is the fact that it looks completely to the side, and very few Pokemon sprites are directly profile. Regardless, maybe adding some stripes or whatever like on the tail could work. Poochyena has little "boots", which could be an easy fix. I really like that it's a "domesticated" kind of snooty dog. We've mostly had those from cats (Persian, Skitty, Glameow for example).

The eye was definitely not finished for the Phoenix xD; Just had to get something there. I think it'll have Ponyta style eyes, which I was too lazy to do in the quick sprite. x3 I'll work on it though!

And yeah, the Fire/Poison snake was just an example. I can work on a standalone Fire/Dark snake :3
Yeah, my sprites tend to end up like that. The pose is way too boring right now. ;P I'm not sure what type it should be. It seems like it'd be a Normal type, but I think Rock type would be really cool. I think those are all great suggestions for improve its design, though. Is there anything I could do to make it look more like a Chow-chow? I know they have really wrinkly faces and fluffy bodies, so I'm trying to capitalize on that. I may give it "slit" eyes like Cyndaquil, since it's wrinkly.

I would suggest a pattern, maybe some different coloured patches of fluff?

Oh yeah, we need a narwhal fakemon. I'm not the best with concepts, so I'll leave it at that.
Definitely. A narwhal would be amazing. Maybe it would be Water/Steel, with a metal tooth? Or perhaps Ice/Steel, like how in Unova, some water-dwelling Pokemon aren't Water type. Who would be up for designing it?