• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Project Phoenix

lamburnv2.png

There we go! Looking spiffy...I'm not too fond of the shading right now, so I will have to edit it that, but I think this colour looks great on Lamburn. What does everybody think?

Also, I can't say I'm fond of the sauropod idea. I mean, Meganium is a sauropod, so if we make one it might be too similar. How would we show it's water type, too? I personally think a loch-ness monster that had fins that could wade on land would work better. Plesiosaurs are more aquatic reptiles.

We could invent a plesiosaur-sauropod hybrid x3 I'm all for that. If you want to be picky, we've already had a primate starter (Infernape) so that would discount Lowlunk's line. I think a sauropod/plesiosaur is a decent idea. As for showing water, none of the Water Starters really show a "watery" feature. They're all just very basic (albeit stylized) representations of an animal. Tortoise, Alligator, Penguin, etc.

If we don't want to go that route, a polar-bear spends a lot of time in the water. We do have Tsunbea though.

The fire starter is looking nice so far! Like you said, just shading a little bit here and there is the main thing, particularly on the wooly bits x3

EDIT:
Here's a (terrible) sketch of what I had in mind for the Thermometer Pokemon. It has three forms - Hot, Base, and Cold - and not only does it change temperature, but termperament as well. I think Tempameter is a good name for it x3 As you can see, it has a fiery temper when Hot, a neutral expression when in Base Form, and it has a calm, cool, and collected demeanor when Cold. To go along with that, Hot is pointy and dangerous whereas Cold is smooth.
iaza19433926284300.png

Any thoughts to improve it? x3 I know the snowflake and pointy sun are kind of overdone...

Last edited:
iaza13054892071800.gif
-->
iaza13054827145900.gif

Not an obvious change, but I tried to fatten up his arms and legs a little. Oh yeah, I kinda sorted out his eyes too. Kinda.

I also have a good idea for the water Starter. You ever noticed how wide and hypnotising frogs' eyes can be? Well, the water line I have in mind is based on frogs. It goes from a simple purple frog with turquoise patterns to a Frog line that has the ducks that signify confusion (click here) and some funky confused glasses for eyes (click here).
Here is the sprite (without shading) for Teleprog (Telepathy/Frog)
iaza13054822845000.gif

Oh yeah, I really like Tempameter. Maybe introduce a Temperature system? A key item to show the temperature. Normal Temperature, Cold Temperature and Hot temperature. Different places would have different temperatures and Tempamater will change according to each place. You would have an item to keep him certain temperatures. You could also have new abilities apart from Tempameter's and moves to do with temperature.

Tempameter would have the Normal form, Heat from and Chill form. It would learn different moves according to its form, and you could change its form too, so you could have it with a move from its chill form and it be a heat form.
Heat form would be Physical based. It would be Normal/Fire. As an example, it would learn Will of Wisp, Flame Wheel, Flare Blitz., Fire Fang.
Normal form would be balanced in terms of stats. It would be just Normal type. It would learn Sing, Swift, Double Edge, Slash.
Chill form would be Normal/ice. It would be Special based, and would learn a new move like Will o wisp that always inflicts freeze conditions, Aurora beam, Blizzard, and Frozen world.

Just a thought. THIS could be the new Rotom/Castform/Porygon.

bothie

When I was thinking of a tail for the grass starter, I wasn't thinking of it to be that big. Maybe shorten it a bit? Just my opinion. The fire starter is good. Could use some spiffing up. ;)

Lucario9

The Power of Aura
I'm not fond of the shiny for Cannister. I mean, I like the colours, but I think you should choose a different green and use a more orangey-brown. i absolutely love Sewaste's shiny, though!

Yea, i was planning on redoing Canister. I don't like it either.

Tempameter is Ice/Fire and is, yes, the Rotom/Porygon/Castform for our region x3 I do like the idea of it automatically changing form based on location, and including other moves or abilities that utilize this feature. However, that might be just a little too similar to Sunny Day/Hail status, to be honest. As for its moves, it would learn a little bit of both Ice and Fire moves, but nothing too exceptional. I can see it learning Will-o-Wisp and Icy Wind and Ember and Flame Wheel and Powder Snow, but nothing like Fire Blast or Eruption or Avalance or Blizzard. It's not going to be able to be extremely powerful in terms of both Fire and Ice since they oppose each other and cancel eachother out. Plus going from intense heat (Fire Blast) to intense cold (Blizzard) can shatter glass.

I'm glad you like him though!

How does everyone feel about Lowlunk's tail length? Too long? I think it's fine, personally. It'll be half that size when it evolves, and non-existent in its final form.

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
Also, I can't say I'm fond of the sauropod idea. I mean, Meganium is a sauropod, so if we make one it might be too similar. How would we show it's water type, too? I personally think a loch-ness monster that had fins that could wade on land would work better. Plesiosaurs are more aquatic reptiles.
A plesiosaur was my original idea, but i was afraid no one would know what a plesiosaur is. I'm a paleontology nut btw. I thought a sauropod would be more familiar to people.

*pokes my post*

"Swamp Sauropod (Swampod, Saurowamp? Just some name ideas!) sounds awesome! Swamps lend themselves to a few different types, really. Grass (which is out of bounds unfortunately), Ground, Poison, even Rock really. I personally highly approve. Quadrupedal staters for the winnnnnnn!"

If I'm designing the Gorilla and Yoshi has the goat, would you want to see the Sauropod through if we decide on it?
sorry, i wrote my post before i saw yours, glad you like the idea.

I really love the lamb as the fire starter. It would be cool to make it bipedal. just gotta make sure it doesn't look like Satan :p

Here is a quick sketch of the final evolution of the sauropod/plesiosaur water starter. I was planning on making the first stage but it just came out like this at the end. It would be great if some one could sprite this, along with the first and second stages I'll post soon.
Swampaur.png

Last edited:
Lamburn3.png

Lamburn, v.3! I like this version much more. I think it helps convey its smug behaviour way better.

I personally think Tempameter needs more detail than that, or else it'll just look like a flipped-over Rotom. We also need to make sure that each forme is distinguishable, and not just a recolour. I'm sure you can do that though, Kyle. I was thinking a small bush for the tail on Lowlunk, but the vine looks decent. As I said before, I think we should make Barbarilla more cartoony, with a bigger leaf, large forearms, and big, happy eyes like Monferno. It definitely looks simplistic right now.

I like the Water plesiosaur-sauropod right now, but when we sprite it, I think the tail fin would be bigger and it'd have a thinner face, to help differentiate itself from Meganium. I was thinking about what type it could be, too. Any ideas? Pure Water would work, but it's kind of dull.

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
I like the Water plesiosaur-sauropod right now, but when we sprite it, I think the tail fin would be bigger and it'd have a thinner face, to help differentiate itself from Meganium. I was thinking about what type it could be, too. Any ideas? Pure Water would work, but it's kind of dull.
Water/ground, maybe. It's heavy and could cause shock waves through the ground. However, the water/ground type has been been overly used. maybe water/rock.

I think Water/Electric would work too. Make the green bits yellow or something x3;

Barbarilla is far from done. It'll probably look nothing like that when it's finished xD;

Don't burn me at the stake, but I liked the other Lamburn better X:

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
I think Water/Electric would work too. Make the green bits yellow or something x3;

Barbarilla is far from done. It'll probably look nothing like that when it's finished xD;

water/electric type? That doesn't really match.

I agree, i liked the previous one, but i think the pokemon's evolution's bipedal.

here is the first stage of the water starter:
Ponessy.png

Lucario9

The Power of Aura
New shiny version of Canister. I like this one WAY better.
iaza15593681740000.png

I think it's okay to have the water starter be water/ground. I don't really see anything else that fits with it.

M4zz

Banned
Water/ground, maybe. It's heavy and could cause shock waves through the ground. However, the water/ground type has been been overly used. maybe water/rock.

I'd keep it at Water/Ground. The W/R is overused with fossils, and there are only four W/G types.

Exxmaniac

Shapoopi!
Wamposour.png

Here's my *failed* attempt at spriting it :|
I don't think that this is the best, but it's a work in progress.
It definitely needs a new pose though. And better proportions. AND colors.
:mad:

Anyone can fix it.

-Raiga-

Can people stop writing "failed" after every spriting attempt they do? Its getting really annoying, and if you actually KNOW that you failed at something, you would have done it right in the first place.

Its simple, just make something to the best of your abilities and wait for criticism.

M4zz

Banned
I've got the first-form done. Includes bio.

iaza15318588144300.gif

Pleisomall (Plesiosaur + small)
Baby Saurus Pokemon
Height: 8"07
Weight: 563.7 lbs
This Pokemon is able to reach the tops of smaller trees with its neck. PLEISOMALL are able to both swim and walk.
70 HP / 70 Attack / 55 Defence / 35 Sp.A / 55 Sp.D / 15 Speed

~Moveset~
- Splash
- Tail Whip
- Water Gun
5- Stomp
9- Yawn
13- Magnitute
20- Brine
25- Ancientpower
30- Rain Dance
35- Mud Sport
40- Earthquake
46- Block
52- Aqua Tail
60- Superpower​

Last edited:

It's fine. I prefer bipedal Lamburn myself, but the sprite's not done yet. I think I need to change the design ever so slightly.
water/electric type? That doesn't really match.

I agree, i liked the previous one, but i think the pokemon's evolution's bipedal.

here is the first stage of the water starter:
Ponessy.png
Kind of cute, but I'm not really feeling the Pokemon-style. I think it's the eye that makes it unsettling to me.
New shiny version of Canister. I like this one WAY better.
iaza15593681740000.png

I think it's okay to have the water starter be water/ground. I don't really see anything else that fits with it.
Yup, that shiny is much better! Nice job there!
Wamposour.png

Here's my *failed* attempt at spriting it :|
I don't think that this is the best, but it's a work in progress.
It definitely needs a new pose though. And better proportions. AND colors.
:mad:

Anyone can fix it.

The pose and shading aren't terrible, but again, I'm not crazy about the design. It just looks so boring and un-inventive to me. It lacks imagination and spirit. We need to look at the Water starters and create a Pokemon that truly looks like a new Pokemon.

snail.png

This is Kojiro's Electric/Rock snail Pokemon idea he had. Does anybody like it?

Last edited:
The water starter can be a pleisosaur, it's just that right now they don't really look like Pokemon. The first form has to be cute and awkward in a way, you know? First stages are kind of clumsy and childish. Tepig and Wotter are perfect examples of that. I kind of think we shouldn't be going with something so mighty as a pleisosaur. We could do a duck, or a goose, or a crab, or a seal pup. What about a hippo? A Hydropotamus? x3

I do like the Electric/Rock snail. But we've tossed around like 3 or 4 different snails now, so we should really make a decision on that.

I like the pleisosaur idea. The first evolution should have cuter eye, cuz right now it looks creepy. I think they would also look better with some sort of bumps on its back. Even if its not the starter i think we should keep the idea.

I think you guys need a good poison type. A really scary venomous pokemon, like Black Mamba pokemon or something.

Anyway, I have a really out of the box idea. Me and my brother e-rex came up with a while ago. What if instead of a battle frontier we could have a group of extremely strong trainers known as the forever five or something else catchy? these guys could have a team of six very high leveled pokemon

Last edited:
I didn't know that. We do? Well, in any case, I'd love to keep the Electric/Rock snail, because it's a unique type combination and we do need a decent amount of Electric types, I think.

I'd like to keep Lamburn bipedal. How do you think I could make the design better?

Alright, so I came up with some ideas for our region that some regions seem to use, particularly Kanto and Unova:

-Doctor Pokemon (Tabunne is probably too recent to pull it off)
-Fighting Duo
-Three stage Ghost
-Several fish Pokemon to be caught with the fishing rods
-Cute mascot non-legendary Pokemon, like Pikachu and Chillarmy
-Fairy Pokemon that evolve with the Moon Stone
-Two or three-stage Grass type version exclusives
-Frog Pokemon, maybe
-Creepy Pokemon (Croagunk, Zuruggu)
-Equine Pokemon (Ponyta, Shimama)