1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Project RBYDex

Discussion in 'Fan Sprites' started by Skaisdead, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Skaisdead

Skaisdead Movers and Shakers

Project RBYDex is the comprehensive redrawing of every Pokemon sprite as though it would have appeared in Pokemon Red and Blue. Here are a few examples:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For more, visit http://project-rbydex.deviantart.com/.

2. eeveerose

eeveerose Well-Known Member

Wow! Those are amazing!
    You did them by scratch?

3. Skaisdead

Yeah. I think it gets annoying seeing sprite fusions of other Pokemon. I guess I'm not sure how, but that inspired me to do these.

4. Yami Ryu

Yami Ryu Well-Known Member

This is one of the best reviews ever. I mean really.

Secondly projects usually need mod approval.

Thirdly, this is fan art. That is sprite art. Sprite art goes in Fan sprites.

Lastly, why the hell did you RESIZE SPRITES. You RUIN them when you do that, cause now we can't see if lol they would fit in what was it 60x60 limits of old days or whatever?

5. Skaisdead

Ah. Sorry, I'm rather new here. I suppose I'll skim through some posing rules :/

Just as well, the original sprites are crap anyways. It doesn't make a huge difference.

6. Elrade

Elrade Snarky snark snark.

These are pretty good. Carnivine kinda looks like it's Tommy Pickles.

Settle down, you're acting like he committed murder or something.

7. DANdotW

DANdotW Previously Iota

Yami brings up an excellent point, she does. If everyone goes around telling her she's the one in the wrong telling someone these things, then people will think what they're doing is okay.

Then we'll just end up with forums filled with threads that are against the rules because nobody can be arsed to tell the truth. Why don't you settle down.

To the actual thread, aside from breaking rules, would be a nice idea if it were a project you were attempting alone, which, if you were, it wouldn't be a project, it would just be a thread.

I do like Carnivine though, so props to whoever did that. It seems to match the shaping of the original sprites, although I don't remember whether or not they actually used colours in the original one.

Iota

8. Yami Ryu

Then what's the point in revamping to RBY if A: you can't keep them the proper size. B: you don't even care if someone points out it's too crap for a generation.

Oh wait I know. You just want mindless praise :D

by the way it shouldn't have been to hard to notice the fan sprite subforum. Or I mean a big wonder to actually read the rules.

9. Skaisdead

The entire basis of this forum is to showcase artwork, is it not? The sprites themselves are 56 x 56 pixels before having been expanded, but were far too small to be enjoyable. They would, in fact, fit in the allotted space in these games.

Yes, I made a mistake by failing to realize that there was a Sprite sub-forum. Perhaps arrogance and patronization is not always the best way to let another know that they have made a mistake.

Or perhaps this redemption was made in vain.

EDIT: Here you go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  10. Yami Ryu

Then give us artwork.

Don't mutilate sprites.

Don't then try and claim oh it doesn't matter if they're morphed out of sprite size, that it makes no difference to the quality.

Don't try and claim it's pixel art, when it's truly not.

Don't try and defend resizing a sprite.

You know how a sprite is enjoyed? you post a sprite.

If you want art to be enjoyed- post a picture or a drawing or a photo where they belong.

Outrageously sized sprites =/= art. It's an over sized sprite that lost all quality the moment you blew it up large enough to see it pixel for pixel, and make it something where you can not enjoy because well it's a hoooge pixel box.

I mean this would be like taking a close up of someone's picture, and posting it at 3x~? the size of what it should be viewed at, then trying to claim oh it's alright because it was crap anyways.

So no I'm not being arrogant. And maybe if I am patronizing you, you deserve it for trying to wriggle out of the fact, you failed, go fix.

Edit: Well now that the sprites can be seen as they should- even if still in the wrong sub forum. They're suffering from what seems to be MLSS [multi light source syndrome] and more than the old sprites should have. Monferno's tail appears to be to long, maybe cut off about 5 of the pixels where you have it at a pretty harsh V and smooth it out a bit.

Gabite's fin is shaded wrongly on the back sprite and front, it shouldn't be dithered that much and it shouldn't be high lighted that much on the back. The dithering also seems out of place on the lower belly- especially with the bright highlight so close.

Carnivine's head doesn't seem to match up for back/front sprite, one has head attachments up, other has them down. The arm on our right as we look at it, seems to long compared to the left, but this is possibly due to how it's holding them. The head also appears to be to jagged, maybe smoothing the outlines out a bit more, and not having them so harsh will work. The eyes also seem to be a bit misplaced, maybe moved father apart and the far right one up and back a bit more.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  11. Riversong

Riversong Buggy down.

Some of them look too detailed for RBY, I think, like it looks like the person who drew giratina was trying too hard to get all the details down. The project itself is a cool idea really. The carnivine is really good though, it reminds me of how RBY sprites had more characterization to them. I don't care for Dialga or Palkia though.

12. Skaisdead

Spriting, in this sense, isn't technically artwork. I understand that. I've also admitted fail. Perhaps resizing, at least not x4, was not a good idea, but that's much different than your example of a low resolution photograph, as sprites have much less substance to them.

On this board, there may be a certain demographic of users that will enjoy it, and there is obviously another group that will not. I have no problem if you fall under the latter, and I also have no problem with constructive criticism. I would, however, have appreciated it a little more if you had done so without the patronization.

13. Zephyr Flare

Zephyr Flare /pose

Moved, really appreciate those five extra minutes of double checking you have the right forum.

Sandra

14. Yami Ryu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vincentvangogh/2421168971/

Or any Vangoh picture.

Do what you did.

Can it be enjoyed then?

No.

I gave you crit, it's not my fault I don't care to wrap it up in a bundle of carepolice packaging for you.

You need to learn some things just don't do well, resized, no matter how many people brainlessly foam at the mouth and spew mindless, blithering, worthless praise.

15. Skaisdead

I just wonder if it was truly that big of a deal. There's absolutely nothing different between simplistic video game sprites, whether the ratio be 1:1 or 1:4.

If, for example, I had drawn a picture, I would not have resized it for any reason. Does this make sense? When it comes to physical pieces of art, of course it's a bad idea. Even digital art, it's not a great idea. Pixel art of this caliber does not retain the same properties.

A large part of art is criticism, which I understand, but certain types of criticism need only apply to works of art that took longer than a half hour to produce in but four different colors.

16. Averyy

Averyy Ima firin' muh lazer

Lol @ Yami flipping out.

Anywho, one reason to resize a sprite is so that people can see each individual pixel, so that they can look at the shading etc..

I think they're fine and any type of spriting is art, whether someone thinks they're "mutilated" or not.

17. BynineB

BynineB Wielding Übersaw.

The one major thing I can see is the massive amount of dithering. Yes, RBY did tend to use dithering but not that much. Also, Carnivine's tentacles are different colours, some would probably be pure dark green, while others would be light green with a bit of shading. The last thing is the outlining; RBY outlining usually has one coloured pixel on both ends of a line, and black in between. Your outlining is untrue to this; while it does look better (XD), it doesn't look quite right. Your scratching ability, however, is fantastic. I highly look foward to more.

18. Alloute

Alloute Banned

All the hate aside, they are very well done.

I really think you took the time to add every little detail.

19. Gridiron

Gridiron Well-Known Member

Wow. Settle down please Yami Ryu.

I think the front sprites are fine, except for some of the shading. To me Monferno's tail looks fine and so does Gible's fin. Since your sprites are devamps they don't need to have perfect proportions or look as natural as real animals would. They are supposed to be Red/Blue sprites after all. As Yami Ryu pointed out your sprites do have multiple light sources. I think that the back sprites are too good to be considered from Red/Blue. The back sprites in Red/Blue were terrible and often didn't look like the Pokemon they were supposed to be (slight exaggeration). The back sprites should also have a different pose. Your back sprites have the same pose as the current backsprites.

20. Skaisdead

Thanks for the positive feedback. As far as the backsprites go, I have no idea how Gamefreak managed to mutilate their Pokemon so badly. I wasn't sure where to begin deforming the current Pokemon as they are, so I just sort of stuck with making them appear as they do today. My earlier sprites had absolutely no dithering, which looked terrible, so I added some, and now there's too much of it. I'm still working on finding a happy medium.