• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Proper Pokemon Pronunciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to the forum, and I did a little bit of searching and I didn't find any thread pertaining to the proper (or rather opinionated) pronunciations of pokemon. So I was just going to throw a few out there.

Although, some of the proper pronunciations sound stupid. Whatever.

Rayquaza = Ray-Qway-Za (not rae-qua-za)
Gyarados = Gare-Uh-Dos
Goudon = Groud-on (not gruu-don like some people say)
Ho-oh = Ho-Oh (this one's pretty simple, but some people say ho-ah or even hoo hoo)

Suicune = Sui (as in suicide) cue-n (not swee-koon)

I don't know. This will probably cause a lot of debate but at least it will be interessting

Essencewing

Muckraking Trainer
I believe that whatever anyone chooses is right, and most people play alone. Here's how I pronounce all of those:
Rayquaza: either the one you say is wrong or Re-ku-za (closer to japanese one)
I say Gyarados like it says.
Groudon: EDIT: Whoops! I meant I say it wrong according to you. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Suicune: same as your post.
I also say Kyogre like "Kai-ogre", whereas one of my friends makes the mistake of saying "Kai-gore". He misreads it.

As you said, some of those "proper" pronunciations sound stupid, so I say what sounds cool to me.

Second edit: Here's some more I say

Arceus: Ar-see-us or Ar-ru-see-us (japanese)
Gardevoir: Gar-de-voire
Regice: Reg-ice
I think that's it. . .

Last edited:
OKay, but groundon. Wouldn't make sense that since he is a ground pokemon that his name would sound like it?

Also

Regice (is it Regi-Ice? or is it one syllable?)
Deoxys Dee-ock-sis (not dee-ock-sees)

Post anymore contreversial ones if you think of them!

MCXD

Sucks at PASBL
Personally, I say

Ray-qua-za
Groo-don
Gar-a-dose (basicly as if the y wasn't there in Gyarados)
Ho-oh
Swee-coon
Ky-oh-ger

Most of the 'proper' ones sound find except 90% of the gen 3 and 4 pokemon I haven't actually heard the 'proper' way to say it so some can be weird.

Azelf = Ay-zelf (like self but with a z)
Uxie = Yoo-zee (I am probably totally wrong here)

etc

pokefiend

Piplup's #1 Fan!
one of the weirder ones i've heard was typhlosion. i always said 'tai-flow-zhun' but someone i knew said 'tai-flaw-see-on' which kind of weirded me out.

AmazingChi

Volcanic Rage
one of the weirder ones i've heard was typhlosion. i always said 'tai-flow-zhun' but someone i knew said 'tai-flaw-see-on' which kind of weirded me out.

I say Typhlosion like you do.

On PBR they pronouce Bonsly, Bon-Sli (as in someone is sly/devious). Whereas in anime (apparently) and everyone i know says Bons-ly

Also Chimecho seems to get a lot of debate over it's pronounciation where i am

Chim-Echo
or Chime-cho
or Chime-echo...

What about Purugly? Pure-ugly, purr-ugly, pur-oogly, whatever.

I say kyogre Ky-o-grey.

On Cradily, is it Cra-dai-ly or Cray-dilly or Cra-dilly? I've seen all three ways.

I'm glad this topic came up, I was just thinking about this today.

Arcanine (Ar-cuh-nine) or (Ar-cay-nine). I pronounce it both ways, although I'm pretty sure the second one is correct.

Meganium- I pronounce it like (Mega-ni-um) but most people say (Me-gay-ni-um).

Togetic- I say (Toh-geh-tick) but I've heard it as (Toh-jet-ick) before. I think my way is correct though since no one says (Toh-jeh-pee) for Togepi.

Scizor- I always say (Sky-zer) but some people seem to think it's (See-zor) or even (Scissor).

Gardevoir- I think it's (Guard-ev-wire), but I've never heard anyone else say it before.

Vespiquen- I know it's probably (Ves-pih-ken), but I always say (Ves-pee-queen).

Arceus- I don't know what you say, but I say (Are-say-us).

Last edited:

Bobby Emerald

The Poke-expert
^That's some horrible pronunciation. :p Just kidding ya. although most of them really are incorrect.

I always call Scizor like "Scissor", but with emphasis on the "ss" so it sounds like "z".

Gardevoir- I just say it like "Gaurd-deh-vor". The "vor" sounds like war.

Anyone have pokemon stadium 1 and 2? The announcer always says the pokemon's name when it comes out of the pokeball in battle.
So that means that Suicune sounds like "Swee-coon".

Warfare

liverliverliverliver
Arcanine (Ar-cuh-nine) or (Ar-cay-nine). I pronounce it both ways, although I'm pretty sure the second one is correct.

I'm pretty sure the second one is correct too. After all, it is a canine. o__o

Scizor- I always say (Sky-zer) but some people seem to think it's (See-zor) or even (Scissor).

I think it was pronounced as [see-zor] in the Anime? It's been a long time; I might be wrong.

I say see-zor myself. Although I have heard "sky-zor" and other silly ways.

Okay though, here's the big one.

The Regi's.

Is it Reh-Gee
Or Ree-Ji

I've heard it equally both ways. And some people mix and match
Like they will say "Ree-ji-steel" and "Reh-gee-rock"

Warfare

liverliverliverliver
I say see-zor myself. Although I have heard "sky-zor" and other silly ways.

Okay though, here's the big one.

The Regi's.

Is it Reh-Gee
Or Ree-Ji

I've heard it equally both ways. And some people mix and match
Like they will say "Ree-ji-steel" and "Reh-gee-rock"

I, myself, am more familiar with pronouncing it as [reh-gee]. I never heard someone say [ree-ji] or anything of the sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.