• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Proper Pokemon Pronunciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Four Muadita

how do you pronounce tyrogue?

Kim62

Hello
You know I think I figured out a way to find out how you are actually pronunce the words.
If you go to microsoft sam (or any other program like it) and type a pokemon's name you should be ale to get the correct pronunciation (in theory...)

hiou2

High-ohw-you-too
gardevoir-gar-dee-vwar
gyarados-gah-rah-dose
kyogre-ky-oh-ger
rayquaza-ray-quah-zah (I know its supposed to be "quay" but it sound betterer)
uxie-yook-see
mesprit-mee-sprit or mes-prit
azelf-uh-zelf or ah-zelf
dialga-dee-ahl-ga
palkia-pal-kee-uh althought I am training myself to say pahl-kee-uh

Regigigas.

I say "Reh-jih-jih-gas"

But the pokemon battlet revolution announcer says "Reh-gee-gi-gas"

BCVM22

Regigigas.

I say "Reh-jih-jih-gas"

But the pokemon battlet revolution announcer says "Reh-gee-gi-gas"

You pronounce it wrong; the PBR announcer is correct. It's Regi + gigas; the two "g" syllables in "gigas" are hard, not soft.

Turtle Master

May's lover!
Togetic

I say Toe-gah-tick...

I bought Pokemon Revolution and they say Toe-get-ick....

But is deffinitely Toe-gah-pee...

So is Togekiss Toe-gek-iss or Toe-gah-kiss?

BCVM22

Togetic

I say Toe-gah-tick...

I bought Pokemon Revolution and they say Toe-get-ick....

But is deffinitely Toe-gah-pee...

So is Togekiss Toe-gek-iss or Toe-gah-kiss?

The entire Toge- line is Toe-geh + whatever suffix (-pee, -tick, -kiss). The tendency to mispronounce any -eh syllable as -ah is done unconciously by most people who speak English fluently and quickly, like how Poh-kay-mon becomes Poh-kuh-mon without realizing.

Haha, here's a pointless one.

Unknown. I say "Uh-known"

others say it "Un-known"

And random side note, every time I say Lucario, I pretend I'm the chef of an itallian resturant and do that kiss thing with my fingers.

Tri hawk

Say no to Poké-drugs
PALKIA: The proper pronounciation according to 4Kids (Rise of Darkrai) is Palk-ee-ah

However my friends and I have always, and continue to pronounce it Palk-eye-ah.
It sounds cooler in our opinion.

BCVM22

PALKIA: The proper pronounciation according to 4Kids (Rise of Darkrai) is Palk-ee-ah

However my friends and I have always, and continue to pronounce it Palk-eye-ah.
It sounds cooler in our opinion.

If being wrong and purposely mispronouncing something doesn't bother you, then whatever works.

Tri hawk

Say no to Poké-drugs
If being wrong and purposely mispronouncing something doesn't bother you, then whatever works.

Well we were pronouncing it that way since the release of DP, well before the movie and 'proper' pronunciation.

We also called Darkrai 'Dark-ray'. *Laughs maniacly!*

Riukken

Expert of Steel Type
I've known people to pronounce Smeargle, as Smeer-gul, where as I always pronounced it Smur-gul. Same with Shedinja, I pronounce it Shed-inja and I've heard Shed-eenja. And Sableye, I pronounce it Sable-eye and I've heard Sub-lie once.

Horoika1

<--Next Pokémon Hunt
For me, Arceus = [Ar-cee-us]
..................................^
.............linked together in quick succession

I use Darkrai as [Dark-r+eye] Pretty confusing, but if you watch Naruto Shippuden, think of Sai.

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Suicune = Sui (as in suicide) cue-n (not swee-koon)

The anime says suicune, as in rhymes with raccoon. The anime is the only canon place the pokemon's names are pronounced, so I'd say that's the correct prounounciation.

Though that's a whole new question: does the anime pronounce names correctly? It's even inconsistent sometimes. 4kids says uh-leh-kid and Pokemon USA says ella-kid. @_@

I always thought arceus was pronounced are-coos because it looked as if it was supposed to rhyme with Zeus. It is a godly pokemon after all.

I don't care if I find I pronounce a pokemon's name wrong. I usually just keep saying it like that, and don't care. I still pronounce gengar with the soft g, and I don't care what anyone says.

Status
Not open for further replies.