• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Proper Pokemon Pronunciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

I always thought arceus was pronounced are-coos because it looked as if it was supposed to rhyme with Zeus. It is a godly pokemon after all.

I don't care if I find I pronounce a pokemon's name wrong. I usually just keep saying it like that, and don't care. I still pronounce gengar with the soft g, and I don't care what anyone says.

Respectively:

-Ar-cee/cei-us. I find it unfathomable that anyone could think otherwise.

-Again, hey, if being wrong left and right doesn't bother you, then go ahead. Just don't complain when people correct you.

Is any one listening to me?

No, because using a program that translates text to speech would be all but useless. Such programs are set with one way to pronounce each syllable and go with that whether we know it to be correct or not. For example, such a program would likely pronounce Rayquaza as Ray-kwah-zah, while we know it via the anime to be Ray-quay-zah. And because such programs are not written or programmed by any source considered canonical relative to the franchise, it would prove absolutely nothing.

I know this one came up a lot for me.

Milotic

I was saying it as: My - Lot - Ick

Then I heard it said on the anime: My - Low - Tick

Also, I use to add an a in zapdos. So Zap - Ah - Dos when the correct pronunciation is just Zap Dos.

Wishing_Star*

Wish I was a balloon
In my opinion, the anime is the most correct. They usually work with the people who made the names to get the correct pronunciation. This would make your pronunciation of Suicune wrong; it is indeed "swee-coon."

Even if it isn't, I don't care. The way I pronounce the names is the way I will always say them.

Also Kyogre

Its pronounced "Kai-ogre" not "Key-ogre" or even "Kai-O-grey" as many ppl used to say

That one too, when I first heard it said on the anime I was like.. what? Some of the pronunciations just sound very strange when you're used to saying it one way for a very long time and then you hear them say it a completely different way on the show.

Blue_Lightning8

Moon Prism Power!
Gardevoir:
The name appears to be or seems to be of French origin, but that's just my little theory.
So I pronounce it without the "r" because of what I think, or know that it's probably the way it looks, with the r.

BCVM22

Gardevoir:
The name appears to be or seems to be of French origin, but that's just my little theory.
So I pronounce it without the "r" because of what I think, or know that it's probably the way it looks, with the r.

Gar-deh-vwar. By the same token, Dusknoir is Dusk-nwar.

Is English not the first language for some of you, or what?

runka

Charizard pwns it!
Arcues:Ar-cee-us.
Meowth-Mee-owth,heard it Mee-o-wth.
Gardevoir:Guard-eee-voir.
Dusk-noir.Dusk,noi,r.If you know bengali the "noi" as as "NO" in Bengali.

How I pronounce it.

Doomy

Milotic= Milo-Tic
Sounds absolutely rediculous, but it is.

Mil-otic sounds much better

Anyway, whatever I thing sounds good is enough for me :D

Regigigas.
Regi-Gil-gas --> l from nbowhere, make sit easier to say is all

Last edited:
I remember i went like WTF!! on three different pkmns through the year
I always said Glaaly, and found out it was glaylie.
I said Skepteil, not Septeil.
And i said Staaravia, not stareivia

Is English not the first language for some of you, or what?

Nope :p ey talk puur norwish beibeh ;)

mangaeyes

Suicune: I used to say Sue-ic-une until I watched the pokemon TV show and found out that its Swee-cune

voltianqueen

Fire and Lightning!
I pronounce Smeargle like Smeer-gul, but my friend says Smee-gul. Without the 'r'. And I'm glad I can finally say Sceptile. ^_^

Does anyone know the proper way to say Raikou? I say Rye-co (like coke), but...

I always pronounced Raikou as Ray-koo. lol.

Yeh, Milotic does sound better as Mil-otic coz it sounds like Melodic and Melodic is such a nice word to say.

:D

I used to say Meganium as Mega - neon, until I heard my frend say it.

CrYsTaL-Suicune

Trust..Bond of heart
Ne, what about Pidgeotto and Pidgeot?

Is Pidgeot pronounced /Pid-ge-ot/ or /Pid-geot/?

Status
Not open for further replies.