• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Proper Pokemon Pronunciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kthleen

Wayfaring stranger
Does anyone know the proper way to say Raikou? I say Rye-co (like coke), but...
You've got it right. The show had it right, but for only God knows what reason, they later started pronouncing it "rai-koo." But I'll continue to pronounce it right.

Sprock

Pidgey with an -ot (like the "ott" syllable in "otter) on the end. Pid-gee-ott.
actually, if you're going by the anime, it's pronounced "PID-JIT", according to both the pokerap and some of its other appearances. but it's also been pronounced your way, too. meh...

but on the whole, the games like stadium and battle revolution have some inconsistencies in comparison to the series and whatnot.

BCVM22

actually, if you're going by the anime, it's pronounced "PID-JIT", according to both the pokerap and some of its other appearances. but it's also been pronounced your way, too. meh...

If you listen closely, the Pokérap changed/purposely mispronounced any number of syllables within names just so it would fit in the rap; Pidgeot pronounced correctly is three syllables, but whomever wrote/performed the Pokérap compressed it to two, likely for flow purposes. I'd think twice before taking any Pokérap stuff as being the "proper" pronounciation.

I don't think it matters how any of the names are pronounced. I think that once you look at the name, the first way you pronounce it in your head is the way you're going to say for the rest of eternity.

Like I know how to say kyogre's name, but I still say "KY-ORG" which is nothing how it actually sounds like. But people still know who I am talking about.

Sprock

If you listen closely, the Pokérap changed/purposely mispronounced any number of syllables within names just so it would fit in the rap; Pidgeot pronounced correctly is three syllables, but whomever wrote/performed the Pokérap compressed it to two, likely for flow purposes. I'd think twice before taking any Pokérap stuff as being the "proper" pronounciation.
it wasn't just in the pokerap that it was pronounced "PID-JIT", though. in the final episode of johto, they pronounce it that way NUMEROUS TIMES.

nice try, though.

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I always assumed "Azelf" was pronounced "ay-zelf" until I eventually got Battle Revolution.

Pokémon isn't really something I talk to in real life, so I don't stress it much.

Pidgeot can be compressed to two syllables. Pidge - ot. Thats how i always used to pronounce it anyway.

Hmm... How is Gardevoir pronounced? I remember ppl talknig about it in the previous page. Is it like Gar - De - Vwar (like duskNOIR but with V)? lol.

I also used to say Pokemon League as Pokemon Lee - Goo when i was young.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
it wasn't just in the pokerap that it was pronounced "PID-JIT", though. in the final episode of johto, they pronounce it that way NUMEROUS TIMES.

nice try, though.
Yeah, the 8th movie comes to mind in that case, but I'm pretty sure it was meant to be "pid-jee-ot" like it was before.

Actually, one thing I'm glad on is that most people here haven't heard the Hoenn Pokerap, because it had some awful pronunciations. I'm talking Kyogre being "kee-oh-gree." Yeah.

<Insert obligatory comment of Japanese name Aruseusu not POSSIBLY having a "K" sound when romanized to Arceus.> Whether "Ar-see-us" or "Ar-seus" or "Ar-say-us" I don't know. I try to switch between them so I won't be used to one or the others when the real pronunciation is revealed.

~Chibi~;249;;448;

PsychicPsycho

A few I've wondered about are these:

Spiritomb > Spiri (like spirit w/out the t)- tomb
Sableye> I've always said Sable-eye but thought it might be Sa-bly or Sa-bley
Lugia > You-gee-uh (where gee is like "Gee, what a nice day")
Entei > En-tie
Treecko > I say Tree-co, but thought maybe it was Tree-echo
Sceptile > Skep-tile. I think someone said they say it w/ a silent 'c'
Lairon > Lair-eon or La-iron (iron like the metal) or liar-on. I don't know
Milotic > I say Mill-oh-tech
Metagross > I say Meta-gros (gros rhymes w/ floss), but I think in the deoxys movie they say Meta-gross (like 'Ew, that trash is gross!')
Roserade > I say Rose-ra-day, but they say Rose-raid on tv and I thought that sounded silly.
Buizel > I think in the Manaphy movie, they say Blay-zul, but I thought it looked like Boo-zul or something. I don't know.
Dialga > I said Dee-all-ga, but then Dial-ga (like 'dial a phone') got inot my head and it drove me crazy.

Turtwig.owns

Golbat= Goal-Bat
Zubat= Zoo-Bat
Crobat- Crow-Bat
Pikachu - Pee-Ka-Choo
Raichu= Ry-Choo
Gyrados= Gar-a-dose
Octillery= Ock-till-er-ee
Misdreavus= Miss-dreea-vus ( like mystry-avus)
Meditite= Med-a-tight

Tomato Jr.

does anyone know the correct pronounciations?
if so could you settle these:

Roserade- surely can't be rose-rade, i always say roz-e-rard-day (like a spanish/french word)

Dialga- seems simple but a friend pronounces it Dial-gar, whilst i say it dee-al-ga

Gyrandos- the old classic, does it end in -dos or -dose , i can't even spell it

Status
Not open for further replies.