• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Proper Pokemon Pronunciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

does anyone know the correct pronounciations?
if so could you settle these:

Roserade- surely can't be rose-rade, i always say roz-e-rard-day (like a spanish/french word)

Dialga- seems simple but a friend pronounces it Dial-gar, whilst i say it dee-al-ga

Gyrandos- the old classic, does it end in -dos or -dose , i can't even spell it

- Rose-er-ade
- Dye-al-gah
- Gya-ra-dose

Wow.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
The proper pronunciation that I think are weirdest are Gible and Gliscor. Gible is pronounced 'Gibble' because it's based on 'nibble', but grammatically it should be pronounced like 'Bible' because it only has one b. Gliscor is pronounced 'Gliescore', because it's from glide and scorpion, but it should technically be pronounced 'Glisscore' because it has no 'magic e' after the i.

Finished complaining.

Roserade- surely can't be rose-rade, i always say roz-e-rard-day (like a spanish/french word)

It's from 'rose' and 'masquerade', so it's row-zer-aid.

Last edited:

~Cosmic~

The Plot Thickens
Personally, I say

Ray-qua-za
Groo-don
Gar-a-dose (basicly as if the y wasn't there in Gyarados)
Ho-oh
Swee-coon
Ky-oh-ger

Most of the 'proper' ones sound find except 90% of the gen 3 and 4 pokemon I haven't actually heard the 'proper' way to say it so some can be weird.

Azelf = Ay-zelf (like self but with a z)
Uxie = Yoo-zee (I am probably totally wrong here)

etc

Azelf is based of Azure, which is pronounced AHZ not AYZ. So it's AH-zelf. As for Uxie, it comes from Pixie, so it's YOO-ksee.

Tomato Jr.

thank you for clearing this up guys, it means a lot. Well, not that much but it is apprchieted

Quanyails

Shining Ninetales
I pronounce these pokemon this way:
Dialga Dee-al-guh.
Palkia Pahl-kee-ah
Giratina Jeer-a-teen-a
Regigigas Re-ji-gi-gas
Arseus Ar-see-us or Ar-soos or Ar-sus
Suicune Swee-koon
Azelf Ah-zelf or Az-elf
Uxie Yook-see
Groudon Grow-(sounds like how)dawn
Kyogre Kay-oh-ger
Lugia Loo-gee-ah

Last edited:

Tomato Jr.

hey, it's me again. i was just doing a trade and have encounted another one (well, two)
Lati@s - is it lay-ti@s or lat-i@s (i say the first, but have heard the other)
actually while i am here what about girafirig
my pronouncion of this changes everytime i see it and would like clarification

EDIT: LVL UP! <dances around> WOOHOOO!!!

Last edited:

Fire Suicune

hey, it's me again. i was just doing a trade and have encounted another one (well, two)
Lati@s - is it lay-ti@s or lat-i@s (i say the first, but have heard the other)
actually while i am here what about girafirig
my pronouncion of this changes everytime i see it and would like clarification

EDIT: LVL UP! <dances around> WOOHOOO!!!

Latias: La-ti-ahs
Latios: La-ti-ohs (as in gross)

Girafarig: Giraffe-a-rig (like Dig)

-F.S. out

profpeanut

I always pronounce Kyogre as Kyo-gre. I only discovered the other pronunciation after I saw that episode on Youtube. Oh well, I still think Kyo-gre sounds better than Kay-o-ger.

I'm pretty sure these are correct though:
Empoleon -- Em-pou-lee-on
Gardevoire -- Gaur-de-vo-yer
Ampharos -- Am-fa-ros
Luxray -- Looks-rey
Rhyperior -- Rai-pi-ree-our
Crawdaunt -- Krau-daunt

Mewx

OUs are A-OK!
Well, according to PBR Suicune is pronounced swee-koon.
;/

~Shadow Espeon~

I did it!!
Suicune - I always pronounced it Swee-koon and I'm probably going to keep saying it because I think it sounds more graceful that Sue-kune...
Solrock - I pronounce it Soul-Rock, but I've heard people say Sol-Rock... Which is right???
Milotic - Is it My-low-tick or Me-low-tick???

Those are the three that have always bothered me...

Mewx

OUs are A-OK!
Suicune - I always pronounced it Swee-koon and I'm probably going to keep saying it because I think it sounds more graceful that Sue-kune...
Solrock - I pronounce it Soul-Rock, but I've heard people say Sol-Rock... Which is right???
Milotic - Is it My-low-tick or Me-low-tick???

Those are the three that have always bothered me...
Haha... my low tick.
Get it?
I'm so dumb D:

err..
Ma-gee-carp
Kai-ow-ger
Ar-key-us
jira-teen-er (although on PBR it says gear-a-tina)
pee-ka-chew
en-tay
reg-i-ice
fi-own
ma-ner-fi
Rie-koo
Ree-ow-loo
die-owl-ger
pal-kee-a
Cress-el-e-a
loo-gee-ar
my-low-tic :)

Hive Mind

Is not a GIRL
My cousin calls Palkia PALK-eye and Mesprit ME-sprite. I pronounce Pokemon names phonetically, so it's Rai-KOO for me, not RE-kow, and other names like that. I say Suicune like Swee-koon, and Milotic MY-lo-tic, and sometimes MY-lot-ick

How exactly is Regigigas pronounced? I think it's pronounced Reji-gigas (as in gigabyte), but I heard it in a song as Reh-gi-guy-gus (all soft G sounds) and I was like, what?

Maruno

Raikou: Rai (Raichu) - ko (Co., short for company)

In romanisation of Japanese words, some write the long "o" sound as "ou", particularly if it stands alone (like at the end of a word). Imagine, instead of the "ou" at the end of Raikou, there is just an "o" with a line above it to signify a long "o" sound. That's how it should be pronounced.

Gyarados: Gya (basically ga, but with a slight ya sound in the middle of it) - ra (rampant) - dos (dose, as in medicine/doss to rhyme with boss)

Last edited:

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Magmortar - Mag-mortuh (as in building mortar)
Milotic - My-low-tick
Just a couple I think are pronounced odd. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.