• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Proper Pokemon Pronunciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gardevoir11

The First Princess
The only pokemon pronunciations I've ever really wondered about were the Sinnoh psychic trio. I pronounce them like:
Ayz-zelf
Ook-see
Meh-sprite (not sure why sprite rather than sprit, it just sounds more natural)

Also, I used to say Roe-zer-ade and BUD-dew before hearing them on the anime as Rose-rade and bu-DEW respectively, which kinda threw me off the first time I heard them.

But then again, the show's not always very accurate. Like when in the 8th movie with Lucario, Regice and Bonsly were pronounced Regi-ice and Bon-slee, then in later shows, they were pronounced Re-jice and Bon-sly.

The word pokemon itself
poke-E-mon or poke-uh-mon?
I pronounce it the second way but Im not sure...

the right way to say suicune is swee-cune.

gardevoir= gar-de-vwar

dusknoir= dusk-nwar

rayquaza = ray-quay-za

Kyogre= ky-OH-ger not ky-oh-gray like i used to say

illumise= ill-oo-MEE-zay

chimecho= chime-EH-koe

Magical Pokemon

I love Care Bears!
Proper Pokemon Pronouncation

How do you pronounce Uxie, and Regigigas?

V4LOVER

chirp
Yook - see.
Rej - ee - gee - gus.

Zesqio

ook-see
Ree-gee-gig-us

Used to pronounce Giratina: Gerr-ah-teen-a
Then I took a good look at it's name when I caught it and now it's: Gir(Like in Giraffe)-ah-ti-na

Maruno

Uxie: Uks (flux) - ee (Wii)
Regigigas: Reg (Reginald) - ih (iterate) - gig (gigabyte) - *** (donkey)

That's me, anyway.

mystic gallade

Mystic Leader
some of the newer ones
hipowdon hi pow don not hi po don
pachirisu pach ir ree soo ive heard some say pac her i soo

??? espeon ??? sometimes ive wondered if it was pronounced E S P on you know like phychics

Maruno

The Japanese call people who have psychic powers "espers" (pronounced like a word, not like E.S.P-ers).

That's relevant or not. Espeon is pronounced as a word, not "E.S.P-eon".

Maruno

The Japanese call people who have psychic powers "espers" (pronounced like a word, not like E.S.P-ers).

That's relevant or not. Espeon is pronounced as a word, not "E.S.P-eon".

blackrose

The propor prounounciations are what they say in the show, you cant say the way you say it is the proper way.

Blue_Ditto_256

Fail on a Stick
Is it Hipp-OH-don, HIPP-oh-don, or Hipp-OW-don? I always use the last one.
I say GRO-tull, but it could also be GROHT-ull.
I interchange Gab-ITE and GAB-ite.
AR-cuh-nine and SWEE-coon are said on the anime, as is SCEE-zor.

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop
I always want to call Regice; Regi-ice just because that's how the others are pronounced, but I'm pretty sure it's Regice.

Token

I say see-zor myself. Although I have heard "sky-zor" and other silly ways.

Okay though, here's the big one.

The Regi's.

Is it Reh-Gee
Or Ree-Ji

I've heard it equally both ways. And some people mix and match
Like they will say "Ree-ji-steel" and "Reh-gee-rock"

Weegie!Ice. Weegie!Rock, and Weegie!Steel.

Personally, I go Reh-Gee for Rock and Steel, but I've heard a few different ones for ice. A friend of mine says that since there is only one I, it's Reg-Ice, but I think it's Regi-Ice, so it matches the other two.

gardevoir11

The First Princess
The propor prounounciations are what they say in the show, you cant say the way you say it is the proper way.

The show is inconsistent on some of its pronunciations though, like Regice and Bonsly have been pronounced differently in the show before.

And as far as Regice is concerned, I pronounce it Re-jice, just because that's how it's spelled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.