• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Protect the Farm! The Blue Flame Strikes Back!! (1013)

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
The second battle was actually far from being ok, especially when it wasn't drawn out enough, which a rematch like that should've been especially where Marowak is supposed to get its revenge for its previous. This is despite the fact that at the time of the start of the second battle, there was more than enough screen time left in that episode to make the battle more drawn out and giving it more screen time. And lastly, Rain Dance was basically a pointless move in that battle as it literally served no purpose.

I agree that it felt rushed but still the battle served its main purpose. Personally, I didn't mind that much that the battle was short since we already knew or more like it was obvious how the battle will conclude. Regarding Rain Dance's presence I guess it was a strategy to weaken Marowak's Fire-type attacks and probably to give out a more dramatic atmosphere during the battle's climax.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
This was a good episode. I liked that Kiawe and Marowak didn't perfect the Z move right away and poor Marowak lost at first. :(

The Z move at the end was awesome and I liked seeing Kiawe have a heart to heart moment with his Pokémon. Also, Mallow's pulled back hair is back!!! :D Of course, the family gag stays strong with Melemele Island Officer Jenny's little sister helping out!

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
And lastly, Rain Dance was basically a pointless move in that battle as it literally served no purpose.

It weakened Marowak's fire moves.

Flare Blitz did nothing once it was activated.

Also rain makes for a more dramatic background.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
It weakened Marowak's fire moves.

Flare Blitz did nothing once it was activated.

Also rain makes for a more dramatic background.
It was supposed to weaken Marowak's Fire type moves, but it barely had any effect or influence on the battle. It's not that Marowak had to overcome the effect of Rain Dance to win the battle, Inferno Overdrive still roasted Electivire anyway.

So yeah, it was definitely depicted as pointless.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
It was supposed to weaken Marowak's Fire type moves, but it barely had any effect or influence on the battle. It's not that Marowak had to overcome the effect of Rain Dance to win the battle, Inferno Overdrive still roasted Electivire anyway.

So yeah, it was definitely depicted as pointless.

Not after the fact Marowak used other moves to weaken the Electivire, leaving him open for Inferno Overdrive to finish him off.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Not after the fact Marowak used other moves to weaken the Electivire, leaving him open for Inferno Overdrive to finish him off.
So what's your point anyway? What I meant in my post was that Rain Dance didn't create much difficulties for Marowak to overcome and didn't influence the battle that much overall, so its was literally pointless, which it shouldn't have been.

p96822

Evolve me please
What? Why? He's their friend and it's his home. What more of a reason do they need to help their buddy keep his house and his parents' livelihood?

And Ash went there once, before the Akala arc, so it's not like they're locked out of the island once that's over.

Really my problem is that they are their to make filler scenes and not impact the story in anyway. You can take them out of them out of the story and barely nothing would have change the story. I kinda miss in the older Sun and Moon episode where the main cast doesn't have to be together all the time. Also it make me feel like the gang is their like what Team Rocket is sometimes

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
TBH, reading these reviews is more interesting than watching these episodes. Based on them I can see that my opinion would be as similiar as Akkipedi's and P9's.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
So I was right about Bourgain being a stereotypical, greedy businessman who would stop at nothing to get his way, including harassing people with the hopes they will eventually give in and give him what he wants. Some of his actions were expected—draining the river; letting loose the Milktank from their paddock; etc. But then he sank to a new level of low when he commanded his Electivire to attack a defenseless little girl. :mad: I was thrilled to see Officer Jenny arrest him and his cronies at the end of the episode. (And kudos to Kiawe's father for actually calling the police.)

I was unable to understand everything that was going on in part due to poor video quality, but it seems Marowak couldn't use Inferno Overdrive either because it was too impatient to wait for Kiawe to finish the Z-move pose or because the two of them weren't in sync. Given Marowak's impatient nature and tendency to dive skull first into things (it wasn't exactly obeying Kiawe during the first battle against Bourgain), those are actually plausible reasons. I did like the bonding moments between Kiawe and Marowak, and how the two of them worked together to master Inferno Overdrive.

DatsRight

Really my problem is that they are their to make filler scenes and not impact the story in anyway. You can take them out of them out of the story and barely nothing would have change the story. I kinda miss in the older Sun and Moon episode where the main cast doesn't have to be together all the time. Also it make me feel like the gang is their like what Team Rocket is sometimes

I think the difference there is that the cast aren't nearly as intrusive to the plot as TR regularly are known to be. They don't cut off the story or ruin potentially good plot or development to make it about the others paying attention to them. This episode was still focused primarily on Kiawe and his rivalry with the corrupt businessman. In one point in the story Kiawe's dad even seems to advise Ash to leave him and his team to bond alone for a while and he complies (he helped last time anyway, and it was interesting seeing Kiawe learning from that case, choosing not to mope and focusing on improving by himself).

I do agree that I'd like more times the twerps appeared and were utilised in some clever way (Ash and Kiawe do it regularly but the others struggle a bit), as mentioned I hoped that Sophocles' computer studies would be a brick joke to the police finding out all the gangs' dirty trades, giving him some mild importance. With that said we didn't waste much time on them, only Ash appeared in a large amount of scenes and he didn't break the flow much at all.

And I like no character butted in as an 'enabler' to get out of the starring twerp dealing with things on their own (besides Officer Jenny at the very end for more logical reasons). That was my more primary problem with TR butting into stories.

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
Rewatching the rematch of Kaiwa with the Electivire guy and I felt the battle was kind of lackluster. Electivire only used his brute strength to repeal Marowak's attack and use one Thunder Punch that hurt Marowak's knee, but means nothing after got rid of the e injury. Also since he did had the rain up when in Flareon name he didn't use a Thunder to put an end to Marowak. Maybe because his trainer didn't knew about the combo, maybe he using Electivire for brute strength and not though of that.

Plus the Electivire trainer was kinda weak

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I liked the episode. During the 1st battle, we can see Marowak being stubborn and overconfident that it cost the battle.

At first during the preview, I thought that Kiawe's Turtonator were losing against the COTD with his Electivire, but it was more protecting the others from danger. So at the end, it was more Marowak who got embarrassed about what happened to the event than Kiawe.

Marowak got its revenge during the 2nd battle and improved its bond with Kiawe, but the battle felt lacking. I mean, I got that Electivire did Rain Dance, during that it was pretty taking hits and eventually faints which makes the whole battle a bit anti-climatic.

I'm glad that Officer Jenny arrested the bad guys. In some countries irl, some cops were corrupted that they would take bribes from rich criminals. I thought it would be less appropriate if the writers show these kind of stuffs.

p96822

Evolve me please
I think the difference there is that the cast aren't nearly as intrusive to the plot as TR regularly are known to be. They don't cut off the story or ruin potentially good plot or development to make it about the others paying attention to them. This episode was still focused primarily on Kiawe and his rivalry with the corrupt businessman. In one point in the story Kiawe's dad even seems to advise Ash to leave him and his team to bond alone for a while and he complies (he helped last time anyway, and it was interesting seeing Kiawe learning from that case, choosing not to mope and focusing on improving by himself).

I do agree that I'd like more times the twerps appeared and were utilised in some clever way (Ash and Kiawe do it regularly but the others struggle a bit), as mentioned I hoped that Sophocles' computer studies would be a brick joke to the police finding out all the gangs' dirty trades, giving him some mild importance. With that said we didn't waste much time on them, only Ash appeared in a large amount of scenes and he didn't break the flow much at all.

What I was trying to say is that we shouldn't have all the main character together in this episode because just add pointless filler just like Team Rocket does for some episode of sun and moon. They are not need that much

DatsRight

SM is at least incredibly merciful about it compared to previous series though. Even TR don't butt into TONS of episodes to ruin the story (and even some they do don't break the flow too badly). I don't watch loads of episodes feeling like it's missing half the plot because another character interrupted it and hogged the limelight.

We got the basic story done in full here. Businessman bullies farm. Kiawe challenges and loses. Kiawe trains and bonds with Marowak. Kiawe rematches and wins.

Sure we didn't need the other twerps around, but them being there didn't ruin it much.

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
So what's your point anyway? What I meant in my post was that Rain Dance didn't create much difficulties for Marowak to overcome and didn't influence the battle that much overall, so its was literally pointless, which it shouldn't have been.

I am ripping the move description here.

Rain Dance the user summons a heavy rain that falls for five turns, powering up Water-type moves. It lowers the power of Fire-type moves. (By 50%)

Inferno Overdrive WILL by default be weaker in the rain, so Marowak has to use other moves to compensate for the disadvantage before Kiawe does the pose and win move he normally does.

Marowak's also tends to hit reasonably hard even without the thick club. (Don't argue with me about how it works in the Anime!)

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Okay, so at the end when Bourgain was literally calling in the excavators to tear down the farm, I was just like "...Yeah that's flat-out illegal, this guy needs to get arrested"... and then right on cue, he was. I liked that.
Apart from that, a so-so episode, though... anime staff. Will you please stop giving the "Wait, all the nurses/officers are sisters and look exactly the same?!" reaction to Satoshi specifically? There's literally nobody else in the main cast from whom that reaction makes less sense. Have Mao, Suiren or Māmane be the ones to comment on it instead, sheesh.