• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Proving Grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpher01

Bewear my power
Okay, so I've been doing some thinking, and I've decided to continue this. I'm kinda sick of having this thing die after the planning that went into it.

Just one warning: chapters probably won't be as frequent as I'd like due to college classes taking up about 3/4 of my time. Other than that, I should be able to finally finish this at SOME POINT in the future (although that won't be for quite a while, in all honesty).

Meantime, here's the next chapter. I don't know...I'm personally not too pleased with how this turned out, but I've had this opinion about chapters before, and I've been told that they're actually decent. Eh, we'll have to see.

Chapter 15: Rock Tunnel

Following Derak and Garth’s departure from Lavender Town, the two trainers continued their trek across Kanto. After some odd hours of hiking, they came upon a large opening carved into a rock face. A sign reading “ROCK TUNNEL” stood next to the entrance, looking faded and worn from what may have been a long existence.

“So, if we go through here, we get to Celadon City?” Derak asked.

“Indeed,” Garth nodded. “We should be careful, however. It is much easier to be ambushed by a wild Pokemon in a cave than in the grass.”

“Noted,” Derak replied.

“Well, look who it is,” a female voice sneered. “The stupid kid who doesn’t know how to treat Pokemon.”

Recognizing the voice, Derak lazily turned his head to find Melissa Armare standing behind him, arms folded and one eyebrow raised.

“Oh. You,” Derak sighed with as little interest as possible. “Is there a reason you’re talking about yourself like that? I think it’s a sign of insanity.”

“Ha, funny,” Melissa growled. “Are you and your weird-looking friend are going through the Rock Tunnel?”

“What about it?” Derak said. Garth, despite the insult Melissa threw him, simply leaned back on the wall and observed the rivals’ conversation.

“I’m going through, too,” Melissa said. “Might as well go together.”

“Huh?!” Derak sputtered. “Why the heck would I want to hang out with you?”

“I can actually stick some of reality in your head,” Melissa sneered, brushing past Derak. “Then maybe you’ll start treating your Pokemon properly.”

Without another word, Melissa entered the Rock Tunnel. Rather than follow, however, Derak simply positioned his fingers in such a way that his hand now resembled an alligator-like mouth. The mouth then began to repeatedly open and close, as if mimicking Melissa’s earlier words.

“You really are an incredible brat,” Garth grunted.

“Eh, takes one to mock one,” Derak shrugged, entering the Rock Tunnel as well. “By the way, how come you just sit back and watch whenever I start talking with someone?”

“I enjoy watching your interactions with people,” Garth replied. “I find it amusing when your sarcastic remarks are directed at someone else.”

“You would,” Derak smirked, much to Garth's displeasure.

Shortly after the group of trainers entered the tunnel, however, another familiar figure approached. Nick Spire and his Infernape looked into the tunnel, watching Derak’s back fade into the darkness.

“He’s in the Rock Tunnel, huh?” Spire said. “Okay, Infernape, let’s try something new. Hopefully we can scare Derak out of continuing his journey.”

“So, who are you supposed to be?” Melissa said to Garth once he and Derak had caught up with her.

“I do not see how it is any of your business,” Garth grunted.

“Hmph,” Melissa snorted, turning her focus to Derak. “You got lucky back on the S.S. Wailord, you know.”

“Yeah, I got SO lucky,” Derak sighed. “Never mind the fact that an amoeba is twice is smart as you’ll ever be, it was ALL luck that I won and you didn’t. Not type advantages, not my being smarter than you, just luck. Totally true.”

Melissa harrumphed again and violently turned her head away from him.

“Let me guess…don’t have any friends?” Derak sighed. “Wouldn’t surprise me.”

“I have friends!” Melissa snapped.

“Name one,” Derak said calmly.

“My dad,” Melissa declared proudly.

“And he is…?” Derak asked.

“An officer in Pyrite Town’s police force, and the greatest man alive,” Melissa boasted. “He taught me everything I know: how to drill your troops, how to follow the law…”

“…how to treat every living thing like garbage, how to fail at life,” Derak continued for her. “If that’s the case, I guess I can’t blame you for your lack of brain cells.”

“HEY!” Melissa yelled. “DON’T TALK ABOUT MY DAD LIKE THAT! That’s it, we’re battling, right here and—”

A shrill cry rang through the Rock Tunnel before Melissa could throw a Pokeball, sending a chill down both the children’s spines. Garth, however, merely narrowed his eyes. That cry was somewhat familiar…

“What was that?” Derak asked.

“I don’t know,” Melissa replied. “Sounds like something nasty is coming.”

“Calm down,” Garth spat. “I may know that produced that cry, and I can assure you both that it is absolutely no thre—”

Garth was cut off by an unexpected event: a blue bat-like creature falling onto Melissa’s head. In addition to the purple skin inside its pointy ears and between the bones of its wings, the bat possessed a pair of long pointy legs and a face with no discernible features save a large fanged mouth.

“Hold that thought,” Derak said, pulling out his Pokedex. “I think I saw one of those in Mount Moon.”

“Zubat,” the Pokedex reported, “the Bat Pokemon. Type is Poison and Flying. Zubat checks its surroundings and location by emitting ultrasonic waves from its mouth.”

“Looks good on you, Armare,” Derak smirked. “Does it come in pink and fluffy?”

A snarling Melissa replied by pulling Zubat off of her head and throwing it into Derak’s stomach. The boy let out an “oof” upon contact, but the Zubat was clearly in worse condition. Its entire body was shivering with fear, its wings wrapped around itself as if they would somehow protect it.

“Real nice,” Derak growled at Melissa before stooping down to pick up Zubat. “Hey, little guy…you okay?”

“Leave it, Derak,” Melissa spat. “That Pokemon is clearly worthless. I mean, just look at it! It has no eyes! It can’t tell up from down, let alone execute a single attack accurately!”

“Uh-huh,” Derak grunted. “Zubat? Show her which way is up.”

The Zubat complied by pointing one wing towards the ceiling.

“Now show her which way is down.”

Zubat pointed its win towards the floor.

“But…but, that’s not possible!” Melissa sputtered. “It has no eyes, how can it see?!”

“Echolocation,” Garth said. “It essentially gives its species a kind of sonar.”

“In other words,” Derak said, “you’re wrong. Again. As if anyone is surprised.”

Melissa’s face reddened with anger, but before she could spout some sort of retort, the ground beneath her began to rumble. Zubat began to panic, flapping out of Derak’s arms and screeching incessantly at every possible living organism.

“NOW what’s going on?!” Derak complained, putting a hand on the wall in an attempt to maintain his balance.

“I guess that thing really is smarter than it looks!” Melissa cried, pointing down the tunnel. “Look!”

Something large was working its way towards them. A gruff, guttural roar came from the darkness, and although it was clearly not the source of the earlier shrill cry, it was nonetheless just as intimidating. The rumbling grew more intense as the beast came closer, something Zubat immediately recognized. The Bat Pokemon flew ahead of the three humans, stopping for a moment to screech back at them.

“Come on, let’s go!” Derak cried, chasing after the Poison-type. “Zubat can lead us out of here!”

“You’re trusting our lives with that thing?!” Melissa yelled.

“You’d rather take your chances with whatever’s back there?!” Derak shot back.

“Point taken!” Melissa cried.

Light soon poured into the trainers’ sight, and the exit soon became visible. Zubat was the first out, its wings propelling its tiny body out into the sunlight. Derak, Melissa, and Garth soon followed, but the beast chasing them was not far behind. Mere seconds after the trainers escaped the Rock Tunnel, a blast of blue fire erupted from the tunnel’s mouth.

“That was a Pokemon attack, right?” Derak asked. “Please tell me that was a Pokemon attack!”

“It was a Dragonbreath, stupid!” Melissa snarled. “And a strong one, too…I think I’ve found myself a new recruit!”

As if on cue, a large serpentine monster burst out of the Rock Tunnel. Its body appeared to be made entirely from numerous boulders, all somehow attached together. Its slightly pointed head had a large fin-like horn emerging from the top, and two large eyes glared down at the trainers.

“Onix,” Derak’s Pokedex reported, “the Rock Snake Pokemon. Type is Rock and Ground. It burrows through the ground at a speed of fifty miles per hour while feeding on large boulders.”

“Are you insane?!” Derak cried. “You want to battle something that can chew through boulders?!”

“I want to CATCH something that can chew through boulders,” Melissa retorted, preparing a Pokeball. “I could use a Ground-type for the Fuchsia Gym down the road. Krabby, report for duty!”

Melissa’s Pokeball revealed a rather simple-looking Pokemon: a typical red crab, albeit with large eyes and two evenly-sized pincers. The crab glanced up at Onix, making a sighing sound as foam appeared around its mouth.

“Krabby,” Derak’s Pokedex observed, “the River Crab Pokemon. Type is Water. It lives in burrows dug on sandy beaches, and its pincers can fully grow back if they are broken in battle.”

“Krabby, huh?” Derak said, returning his Pokedex to his pocket. “The name suits you.”

Melissa gave Derak a quick glare before turning her gaze back to Onix. As she began to enter battle, however, Derak saw something in Onix’s eyes. It was not the rage that he expected…it looked more like fear. A fear of something much worse than her. Nonetheless, Melissa either did not notice or—as Derak assumed—did not care as she issued her first command.

“Krabby, use Bubblebeam!” Melissa cried.

Krabby limply pointed a claw at Onix, opening it up and releasing a stream of blue energy spheres. Onix, however, dodged by somehow contorting its rocky body in such a way that the Bubblebeam sailed right past. The Rock Snake countered by diving underground, completely submerging itself within the earth in spite of the Rock-type’s size.

“It knows Dig?!” Melissa cried. “Krabby, stay alert!”

“Kruh-key, kruh-key,” Krabby grunted, releasing more foam from its mouth. The ground beneath it suddenly cracked, and Onix burst out from underground. Although the Rock Snake expected to send the River Crab flying, it saw no trace of its Water-type foe in the air or on the ground.

“Now, Krabby! Point-blank Bubblebeam!” Melissa yelled.

Six small feet planted themselves on Onix’s head, and the Rock-type’s eyes widened upon realizing that Krabby had grabbed onto the former’s horn. Onix was now completely helpless as the River Crab fired another Bubblebeam, this one smashing directly into the side of Onix’s head. The Rock Snake let out a roar of pain, and with her opportunity in sight, Melissa threw a Pokeball. The ball absorbed Onix inside, causing the unaffected Krabby to plummet back down to earth. Despite the plight of her Water-type, Melissa instead smirked as her Pokeball shook three times and clicked, signifying Onix’s successful capture.

“And that’s how it’s done,” Melissa bragged, retrieving her Pokeball. “Well, Derak? Got any smug words now?”

She turned around, but rather than find Derak making some sardonic comment, she found that he and Garth had long since left. Only Melissa and Krabby remained, the latter managing to dig itself out of the small crater that was caused by its rough landing.

“I hate that boy,” Melissa growled.

Krabby gave another foamy sigh, wondering what cruel deities had decided to place it with such a clueless trainer.

“Well, here we are,” Derak said, Zubat resting on his head and Garth standing beside him. “Celadon City.”

The site of Derak’s fourth Gym battle was truly a sight to behold. Skyscrapers towered over the populace, and people busily buzzed from building to building. Trainers had battles in the streets, and shoppers inspected the local perfume shop. To say this city was bustling would be an understatement.

“We should get to the Pokemon Center,” Garth said. “It is getting late.”

“Looks like it,” Derak replied, noticing that the sky was indeed darkening. He looked up at Zubat. “Hey, Zubat…you want to come with me or something? I mean, it would probably explain why you seem to like sticking around.”

Zubat nodded eagerly.

“You sure?” Derak asked. “I mean, this isn’t going to be a walk in the park. There’s stuff like Gym battles, crazy ancestors, lawyers, annoying people like Melissa…”

Zubat nodded again.

“Okay, it’s your choice,” Derak shrugged. “All right, Zubat…it’s kinda my thing to name my Pokemon. You okay with that?”

Zubat nodded yet again.

“Cool,” Derak said. “Can you get off my head for a second? I need to take a look at you.”

Zubat complied, using its wings to propel itself off of the boy’s head. It began to hover in front of Derak, allowing the latter to examine it.

“Okay…let’s see,” Derak said, putting a hand to his chin. “You’re a bat, and you make sound waves…Garth, what was it called when Zubat does radar stuff with sound waves?”

“Echolocation?” Garth suggested.

“That was it!” Derak said. “Okay, Zubat…I think I’m going to call you Echo. What do you think?”

Zubat seemed to consider the name for a moment, tilting its head to the side in some sort of strange pensive gesture. After its time of contemplation had finished, however, it gave Derak a nod.

“Cool,” Derak said, pulling a Pokeball off his belt. “Now, I’m going to need you to hold still for a sec, okay?”

The newly-named Echo nodded, already knowing what was coming next. Derak lightly tapped the Pokeball against Echo’s head, and the Zubat was promptly absorbed into it.

“Welcome to the team, little guy,” Derak smiled. “Come on, let’s go to bed. It’s been a rough day.”

Just outside Celadon City, Nick Spire plopped himself down on the ground, his head in his hand.

“Great, just great,” he groaned. “That was definitely not what I intended. I wanted Infernape’s Roar attack to scare Derak, not send a rampaging Onix after him!”

He collapsed onto his back, staring up at the sky.

“This isn’t going nearly as well as I’d hoped,” he sighed. “Every time I reach out to bring Derak back, he just gets further away. Maybe…maybe this is some kind of sign? Maybe something greater than me wants Derak to keep going?”

“Yes…that would be the case.”

Spire sprang to his feet in an instant, Infernape’s Pokeball at the ready, but a hand suddenly gripped his arm and pulled it behind his back, effectively restraining him. The hand then threw Spire to the ground, a foot landing on his back and pinning him down. The lawyer managed to turn his head just enough to see his assailant, but the attacker’s identity caused his eyes to bulge with shock.

“Now,” growled Nobunaga as his foot applied pressure to Spire’s back, “let us talk about what you will be doing next.”

Rotomknight

THE GREATEST TRAINER
Uhuh....
It's finally happened Nobunga...
Youve lost your mind. (says clown)
Simpsons reference.

What will mr. lawer do.
And what about derrak's dad, who wouldn't let him leave.

What would he think about all this.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Okay, so I've been doing some thinking, and I've decided to continue this. I'm kinda sick of having this thing die after the planning that went into it.

Just one warning: chapters probably won't be as frequent as I'd like due to college classes taking up about 3/4 of my time. Other than that, I should be able to finally finish this at SOME POINT in the future (although that won't be for quite a while, in all honesty).

I hope you do continue it. It's very enjoyable.

Chapter 15: Rock Tunnel

Following Derak and Garth’s departure from Lavender Town, the two trainers continued their trek across Kanto. After some odd hours of hiking, they came upon a large opening carved into a rock face. A sign reading “ROCK TUNNEL” stood next to the entrance, looking faded and worn from what may have been a long existence.

“So, if we go through here, we get to Celadon City?” Derak asked.

“Indeed,” Garth nodded. “We should be careful, however. It is much easier to be ambushed by a wild Pokemon in a cave than in the grass.”

I think Garth should also tell him that there's Lavender Town and Saffron City between Rock Tunnel's exit and Celadon, shouldn't he?

“Noted,” Derak replied.

“Well, look who it is,” a female voice sneered. “The stupid kid who doesn’t know how to treat Pokemon.”

Recognizing the voice, Derak lazily turned his head to find Melissa Armare standing behind him, arms folded and one eyebrow raised.

“Oh. You,” Derak sighed with as little interest as possible. “Is there a reason you’re talking about yourself like that? I think it’s a sign of insanity.”

She better have Burn Heal.

I'm amused by how little Derak seems to think of her.

“Ha, funny,” Melissa growled. “Are you and your weird-looking friend are going through the Rock Tunnel?”

“What about it?” Derak said. Garth, despite the insult Melissa threw him, simply leaned back on the wall and observed the rivals’ conversation.

“I’m going through, too,” Melissa said. “Might as well go together.”

“Huh?!” Derak sputtered. “Why the heck would I want to hang out with you?”

“I can actually stick some of reality in your head,” Melissa sneered, brushing past Derak. “Then maybe you’ll start treating your Pokemon properly.”

Melissa, this is the kid who just found out he's descended from an immortal warlord from feudal Japan (or the equivalent thereof). Reality to him would sound like fantasy to you.

Without another word, Melissa entered the Rock Tunnel. Rather than follow, however, Derak simply positioned his fingers in such a way that his hand now resembled an alligator-like mouth. The mouth then began to repeatedly open and close, as if mimicking Melissa’s earlier words.

“You really are an incredible brat,” Garth grunted.

I hope Garth didn't just figure that out now.

Shortly after the group of trainers entered the tunnel, however, another familiar figure approached. Nick Spire and his Infernape looked into the tunnel, watching Derak’s back fade into the darkness.

“He’s in the Rock Tunnel, huh?” Spire said. “Okay, Infernape, let’s try something new. Hopefully we can scare Derak out of continuing his journey.”

Okay, I can't imagine this is going to end well for all involved.

“So, who are you supposed to be?” Melissa said to Garth once he and Derak had caught up with her.

“I do not see how it is any of your business,” Garth grunted.

This is something I'd miss if you cancelled the story, Garth's attitude.

“Hmph,” Melissa snorted, turning her focus to Derak. “You got lucky back on the S.S. Wailord, you know.”

“Yeah, I got SO lucky,” Derak sighed. “Never mind the fact that an amoeba is twice is smart as you’ll ever be, it was ALL luck that I won and you didn’t. Not type advantages, not my being smarter than you, just luck. Totally true.”

Melissa harrumphed again and violently turned her head away from him.

“Let me guess…don’t have any friends?” Derak sighed. “Wouldn’t surprise me.”

“I have friends!” Melissa snapped.

“Name one,” Derak said calmly.

And Derak's attitude, for that matter. So amusing to read.

“My dad,” Melissa declared proudly.

“And he is…?” Derak asked.

“An officer in Pyrite Town’s police force, and the greatest man alive,” Melissa boasted. “He taught me everything I know: how to drill your troops, how to follow the law…”

“…how to treat every living thing like garbage, how to fail at life,” Derak continued for her. “If that’s the case, I guess I can’t blame you for your lack of brain cells.”

This could go one of two ways depending on if she's the daughter of Sherles or Johnson, which is a little vague right now. If it's Johnson, what Derak is saying could be much truer than first thought.

“HEY!” Melissa yelled. “DON’T TALK ABOUT MY DAD LIKE THAT! That’s it, we’re battling, right here and—”

A shrill cry rang through the Rock Tunnel before Melissa could throw a Pokeball, sending a chill down both the children’s spines. Garth, however, merely narrowed his eyes. That cry was somewhat familiar…

“What was that?” Derak asked.

“I don’t know,” Melissa replied. “Sounds like something nasty is coming.”

“Calm down,” Garth spat. “I may know that produced that cry, and I can assure you both that it is absolutely no thre—”

Garth was cut off by an unexpected event: a blue bat-like creature falling onto Melissa’s head. In addition to the purple skin inside its pointy ears and between the bones of its wings, the bat possessed a pair of long pointy legs and a face with no discernible features save a large fanged mouth.

“Hold that thought,” Derak said, pulling out his Pokedex. “I think I saw one of those in Mount Moon.”

“Zubat,” the Pokedex reported, “the Bat Pokemon. Type is Poison and Flying. Zubat checks its surroundings and location by emitting ultrasonic waves from its mouth.”

“Looks good on you, Armare,” Derak smirked. “Does it come in pink and fluffy?”

Once again, I laughed. I have a gut feeling that that Zubat might be important, though. Let's see if I'm right.

A snarling Melissa replied by pulling Zubat off of her head and throwing it into Derak’s stomach. The boy let out an “oof” upon contact, but the Zubat was clearly in worse condition. Its entire body was shivering with fear, its wings wrapped around itself as if they would somehow protect it.

“Real nice,” Derak growled at Melissa before stooping down to pick up Zubat. “Hey, little guy…you okay?”

“Leave it, Derak,” Melissa spat. “That Pokemon is clearly worthless. I mean, just look at it! It has no eyes! It can’t tell up from down, let alone execute a single attack accurately!”

I had actually forgotten just how vicious Melissa can be, so thanks for this very clear reminder. Incredibly cruel of her...

“Uh-huh,” Derak grunted. “Zubat? Show her which way is up.”

The Zubat complied by pointing one wing towards the ceiling.

“Now show her which way is down.”

Zubat pointed its win towards the floor.

“But…but, that’s not possible!” Melissa sputtered. “It has no eyes, how can it see?!”

“Echolocation,” Garth said. “It essentially gives its species a kind of sonar.”

“In other words,” Derak said, “you’re wrong. Again. As if anyone is surprised.”

Boy, you really aren't holding back when it comes to Melissa, are you? I smiled here, seeing her getting put in her place.

Melissa’s face reddened with anger, but before she could spout some sort of retort, the ground beneath her began to rumble. Zubat began to panic, flapping out of Derak’s arms and screeching incessantly at every possible living organism.

“NOW what’s going on?!” Derak complained, putting a hand on the wall in an attempt to maintain his balance.

“I guess that thing really is smarter than it looks!” Melissa cried, pointing down the tunnel. “Look!”

Something large was working its way towards them. A gruff, guttural roar came from the darkness, and although it was clearly not the source of the earlier shrill cry, it was nonetheless just as intimidating. The rumbling grew more intense as the beast came closer, something Zubat immediately recognized. The Bat Pokemon flew ahead of the three humans, stopping for a moment to screech back at them.

“Come on, let’s go!” Derak cried, chasing after the Poison-type. “Zubat can lead us out of here!”

Yeah, I'm definitely getting the feeling that Zubat is going to be important.

“You’re trusting our lives with that thing?!” Melissa yelled.

“You’d rather take your chances with whatever’s back there?!” Derak shot back.

“Point taken!” Melissa cried.

Light soon poured into the trainers’ sight, and the exit soon became visible. Zubat was the first out, its wings propelling its tiny body out into the sunlight. Derak, Melissa, and Garth soon followed, but the beast chasing them was not far behind. Mere seconds after the trainers escaped the Rock Tunnel, a blast of blue fire erupted from the tunnel’s mouth.

“That was a Pokemon attack, right?” Derak asked. “Please tell me that was a Pokemon attack!”

“It was a Dragonbreath, stupid!” Melissa snarled. “And a strong one, too…I think I’ve found myself a new recruit!”

As if on cue, a large serpentine monster burst out of the Rock Tunnel. Its body appeared to be made entirely from numerous boulders, all somehow attached together. Its slightly pointed head had a large fin-like horn emerging from the top, and two large eyes glared down at the trainers.

“Onix,” Derak’s Pokedex reported, “the Rock Snake Pokemon. Type is Rock and Ground. It burrows through the ground at a speed of fifty miles per hour while feeding on large boulders.”

I knew it had to be an Onix the moment it was mentioned to have used DragonBreath. The question in my mind, though, is if it is actually a wild Onix or does it belong to Spire?

“Are you insane?!” Derak cried. “You want to battle something that can chew through boulders?!”

“I want to CATCH something that can chew through boulders,” Melissa retorted, preparing a Pokeball. “I could use a Ground-type for the Fuchsia Gym down the road. Krabby, report for duty!”

Well, that reaction makes sense for Melissa. Krabby's a good choice, too.

Melissa gave Derak a quick glare before turning her gaze back to Onix. As she began to enter battle, however, Derak saw something in Onix’s eyes. It was not the rage that he expected…it looked more like fear. A fear of something much worse than her. Nonetheless, Melissa either did not notice or—as Derak assumed—did not care as she issued her first command.

Hmm... this is actually surprising. I wonder what it means...

“Krabby, use Bubblebeam!” Melissa cried.

Krabby limply pointed a claw at Onix, opening it up and releasing a stream of blue energy spheres. Onix, however, dodged by somehow contorting its rocky body in such a way that the Bubblebeam sailed right past. The Rock Snake countered by diving underground, completely submerging itself within the earth in spite of the Rock-type’s size.

“It knows Dig?!” Melissa cried. “Krabby, stay alert!”

“Kruh-key, kruh-key,” Krabby grunted, releasing more foam from its mouth. The ground beneath it suddenly cracked, and Onix burst out from underground. Although the Rock Snake expected to send the River Crab flying, it saw no trace of its Water-type foe in the air or on the ground.

“Now, Krabby! Point-blank Bubblebeam!” Melissa yelled.

Six small feet planted themselves on Onix’s head, and the Rock-type’s eyes widened upon realizing that Krabby had grabbed onto the former’s horn. Onix was now completely helpless as the River Crab fired another Bubblebeam, this one smashing directly into the side of Onix’s head. The Rock Snake let out a roar of pain, and with her opportunity in sight, Melissa threw a Pokeball. The ball absorbed Onix inside, causing the unaffected Krabby to plummet back down to earth. Despite the plight of her Water-type, Melissa instead smirked as her Pokeball shook three times and clicked, signifying Onix’s successful capture.

I guess that answers my question about whether it belonged to Spire or not.

I want to say that I appreciate you using some more obscure Pokemon like Krabby and Onix that don't see as much action in this day and age.

“And that’s how it’s done,” Melissa bragged, retrieving her Pokeball. “Well, Derak? Got any smug words now?”

She turned around, but rather than find Derak making some sardonic comment, she found that he and Garth had long since left. Only Melissa and Krabby remained, the latter managing to dig itself out of the small crater that was caused by its rough landing.

“I hate that boy,” Melissa growled.

Krabby gave another foamy sigh, wondering what cruel deities had decided to place it with such a clueless trainer.

Okay, I like this Krabby. XD;

“Well, here we are,” Derak said, Zubat resting on his head and Garth standing beside him. “Celadon City.”

The site of Derak’s fourth Gym battle was truly a sight to behold. Skyscrapers towered over the populace, and people busily buzzed from building to building. Trainers had battles in the streets, and shoppers inspected the local perfume shop. To say this city was bustling would be an understatement.

I guess you restructured Rock Tunnel a bit so they're go right to Celadon? Also, I find it odd that Spire didn't show up in the tunnel... he must be up to something.

“We should get to the Pokemon Center,” Garth said. “It is getting late.”

“Looks like it,” Derak replied, noticing that the sky was indeed darkening. He looked up at Zubat. “Hey, Zubat…you want to come with me or something? I mean, it would probably explain why you seem to like sticking around.”

Zubat nodded eagerly.

“You sure?” Derak asked. “I mean, this isn’t going to be a walk in the park. There’s stuff like Gym battles, crazy ancestors, lawyers, annoying people like Melissa…”

Zubat nodded again.

“Okay, it’s your choice,” Derak shrugged. “All right, Zubat…it’s kinda my thing to name my Pokemon. You okay with that?”

Zubat nodded yet again.

I knew it. Almost immediately upon Zubat's entrance I predicted Derak would catch it, and I was right. I kind of like this Zubat already, so I think it'll make a good addition.

“Cool,” Derak said. “Can you get off my head for a second? I need to take a look at you.”

Zubat complied, using its wings to propel itself off of the boy’s head. It began to hover in front of Derak, allowing the latter to examine it.

“Okay…let’s see,” Derak said, putting a hand to his chin. “You’re a bat, and you make sound waves…Garth, what was it called when Zubat does radar stuff with sound waves?”

“Echolocation?” Garth suggested.

“That was it!” Derak said. “Okay, Zubat…I think I’m going to call you Echo. What do you think?”

Zubat seemed to consider the name for a moment, tilting its head to the side in some sort of strange pensive gesture. After its time of contemplation had finished, however, it gave Derak a nod.

“Cool,” Derak said, pulling a Pokeball off his belt. “Now, I’m going to need you to hold still for a sec, okay?”

Hm. That name works.

Just outside Celadon City, Nick Spire plopped himself down on the ground, his head in his hand.

“Great, just great,” he groaned. “That was definitely not what I intended. I wanted Infernape’s Roar attack to scare Derak, not send a rampaging Onix after him!”

Well that explains what happened to him. I actually cracked a smile, because this guy is almost comical in how he fails sometimes, or at least that's how I read it.

He collapsed onto his back, staring up at the sky.

“This isn’t going nearly as well as I’d hoped,” he sighed. “Every time I reach out to bring Derak back, he just gets further away. Maybe…maybe this is some kind of sign? Maybe something greater than me wants Derak to keep going?”

“Yes…that would be the case.”

Spire sprang to his feet in an instant, Infernape’s Pokeball at the ready, but a hand suddenly gripped his arm and pulled it behind his back, effectively restraining him. The hand then threw Spire to the ground, a foot landing on his back and pinning him down. The lawyer managed to turn his head just enough to see his assailant, but the attacker’s identity caused his eyes to bulge with shock.

“Now,” growled Nobunaga as his foot applied pressure to Spire’s back, “let us talk about what you will be doing next.”

Well then. My first thought is, Spire still knows Nobunaga as Draykus, right? I don't think I remember him learning the truth yet. Either way, though, it looks like Spire's mission from Enoch just got completely complicated.

I think this was a good chapter, certainly not as bad as you made it sound. It was short, but it told an effective enough story, had some great moments and overall was just entertaining. I don't think you can ask for more.

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Righteousness prevails! I'm so glad this isn't gonna die! I can't go into too much details now, but it's been a certainly intriguing trip so far!

Truthfully, I'll put more into a full review once the latest chapter is read, but I'll definitely fill you in soon!

But for now... L@er!

Morpher01

Bewear my power
Rotomknight: You'll see. That's all I can say. XD

The Great Butler:
I had actually forgotten just how vicious Melissa can be, so thanks for this very clear reminder. Incredibly cruel of her...

I wouldn't really call her "cruel" per se, just too hot-headed to make accurate judgements. And also not too bright. XD

Boy, you really aren't holding back when it comes to Melissa, are you? I smiled here, seeing her getting put in her place.

Some characters are just fun to humiliate. XD

This could go one of two ways depending on if she's the daughter of Sherles or Johnson, which is a little vague right now. If it's Johnson, what Derak is saying could be much truer than first thought.

I wanted it to be somewhat vague, partly because I wanted it to be up the the reader's imagination (and partly because I couldn't decide who her dad should be myself XD). Either way, the idea is that she's taken his advice a little too far.

I want to say that I appreciate you using some more obscure Pokemon like Krabby and Onix that don't see as much action in this day and age.

I wanted to have a Kanto-dominated Pokemon lineup due to the setting. Thus, Krabby and Onix.

I guess you restructured Rock Tunnel a bit so they're go right to Celadon? Also, I find it odd that Spire didn't show up in the tunnel... he must be up to something.

Pretty much. At first I was going to use it the actual way (or not at all), until I realized that I needed to give Derak the Zubat. Thus, this incarnation of Rock Tunnel came to be.

Well then. My first thought is, Spire still knows Nobunaga as Draykus, right? I don't think I remember him learning the truth yet. Either way, though, it looks like Spire's mission from Enoch just got completely complicated.

Spire does know him as Draykus. In fact, no one knows him as Nobunaga. There's a reason for that which will be revealed around Fuchsia City.

Air Dragon:
Righteousness prevails! I'm so glad this isn't gonna die! I can't go into too much details now, but it's been a certainly intriguing trip so far!

Truthfully, I'll put more into a full review once the latest chapter is read, but I'll definitely fill you in soon!

But for now... L@er!

Heh, makes me glad I didn't decide to cancel. Thanks for your enthusiasm, and take your time on your review.

Morpher01

Bewear my power
Okay, time for the next chapter. Not sure if this one was handled the best way, but my primary goal is to avoid repetitive chapters as much as possible. So...yeah. Here we go.

Chapter 16: Training Day

“Let me get this straight,” Garth sighed, his forehead in his palm. “Despite using a Fire-type Pokemon, as well as a Pokemon that is both a Poison-type and a Flying-type…you failed to defeat even ONE of the Celadon Gym Leader’s Pokemon?”

A day had passed since Derak and Garth arrived in Celadon City. After a quick training session in which Derak learned of the moves in Echo’s arsenal, the boy went to challenge the fourth of Kanto’s Gyms. Unfortunately, fate was not on Derak’s side.

“Hey, don’t look at me,” Derak protested, nursing what appeared to be a broken nose. “The Gym Leader’s Tangela used Ancientpower to clobber Echo, then it evolved into some freakish ball of vines that—for some weird reason—doesn’t care if its arms get eaten. Then it instantly beat Brute with a Poison Jab to the chest, and then it threw out another Ancientpower that launched Wildfire RIGHT INTO MY FACE. Don’t blame me for other people’s use of cheap tricks.”

“Evolving in mid-battle is against no official rules,” Garth sighed. “Were you not the one who simply said to try again if beaten?”

“That was before Erika unleashed her Tangrowth of Super-Armed Death,” Derak grumbled. “How are my guys supposed to fight something that can hit them from across the whole battlefield?”

“We train,” Garth said flatly. “I believe we will be able to use one of my Pokemon’s attacks to simulate Tangrowth’s elastic arms. Once your Pokemon are finished healing, we can begin that.”

“I guess that’ll work,” Derak muttered, still massaging his injured nose.

Garth only nodded and took a drink from his canteen.

“Okay, what is it with you and that canteen?” Derak asked. “Nobunaga-related trauma probably won’t relate to why you obsessively drink out of that one canteen.”

“You would need to know my story in its entirety in order to fully understand why I only drink from this canteen,” Garth sighed.

“…lactose intolerance?” Derak guessed. “That’s the first thing I can think of, anyway.”

Garth blinked at Derak’s somewhat random response before shaking his head. Before their conversation could continue further, a pair of familiar faces entered the Pokemon Center. Garth narrowed his eyes upon recognition, still bitter from his encounter outside Pewter City.

“Good day to you, Nurse Joy,” said Nando, giving the nurse a polite nod of greeting. Teresa, the shy Coordinator, clung to his cloak as if fearing that he would suddenly vanish without a trace. “We would appreciate it if you would heal our Pokemon.”

“That’s no problem at all,” Nurse Joy nodded. “Just give them here and they’ll be good as new in a couple of minutes.”

Nando handed Nurse Joy a set of six Pokeballs. Teresa followed suit with her four, albeit with a hard swallow and shaking hands. The nurse took the balls and went over to a healing machine, where Derak’s own three Pokeballs sat.

“Hey, it was, uh…Nando, right?” Derak asked.

“Ah, hello there, Derak!” Nando smiled. “Yes, that is correct. Teresa, this is Derak and his friend Garth. Derak watched your Contest debut in Pewter City.”

“Hel…hello,” Teresa gulped, tightening her grip on Nando’s robe. “It’s…nice…to meet you?”

Derak merely raised his hand in acknowledgement.

“And how are you, sir?” Nando said, turning to Garth.

“…I am well,” Garth growled. Derak winced, expecting his cloaked companion to attack Nando once more.

“That is good to hear,” Nando nodded. “So, my friends, how has your journey been thus far?”

“Lost at the Celadon Gym a little while ago,” Derak interjected with a raise of his hand, primarily to keep Garth restrained.

“Ah, that is unfortunate,” Nando said. “I wish you the best of luck in your next match.”

Teresa added a nervous nod.

“I think I’m going to need it,” Derak sighed. “Maybe one of my Pokemon will spontaneously evolve and wreck the Leader’s team. That’d be a nice change.”

“One can only hope,” Garth sighed.

“If I may…the Celadon Gym Leader prefers Grass-type Pokemon, correct?” Nando asked.

“Yeah, why?” Derak asked.

“I believe I have an idea that would benefit all involved parties,” Nando began. “It just so happens that I have quite a collection of Grass-types myself. I would like to offer my services as a training partner in order to better prepare you for your upcoming rematch.”

“Not on your life!” Garth growled.

“Oh, shut up, Garth,” Derak groaned, leaning back in his chair. “You’re still mad that Nando gave you decent advice back in Pewter.”

“That has nothing to do with it!” Garth snapped. “I still have need of you, and I will not have your training trusted to some chronically-drunken bard!”

“Even if said drunken bard actually knows what he’s talking about?” Derak retorted. “No offense, Nando.”

“None taken,” Nando smiled. “Unsporting opponents have often called me worse.”

“Seriously, Garth, get over yourself and let Nando lend a hand,” Derak said. “Training with him will probably give me what I need to beat the Celadon Gym. How is this going to turn out bad for either of us?”

“Hmph…I suppose I can accept, then,” Garth said begrudgingly. “My Cradily may not be able to fully prepare you, anyway.”

“Excellent, then we are all agreed,” Nando smiled. “Once our Pokemon are finished healing, we shall begin our training.”

A few moments later, Nando and Derak stood in the streets of Celadon with enough distance between them for a battle. Garth and Teresa remained on the sidelines, the former with arms folded and the latter seemingly attempting to hide in her jacket.

“In order to simulate the Gym battle, we shall each use three Pokemon,” Nando began. “Now, let us begin, Lilligant!”

Nando’s Pokemon was a feminine creature with chalk white skin and orange eyes. Its body was primarily composed of a large bulb that was physically similar to the lower half of a dress, and atop the Pokemon’s pale green hair was a large flower positioned as if it were a hat. Two leafy arms fanned out from the Pokemon’s sides, and swirled about as the Pokemon did a pirouette in place.

“Lilligant,” Derak’s Pokedex reported, “the Flowering Pokemon. Type is Grass. Evolved form of Petilil. The fragrance of the garland on its head has a relaxing effect, but if it is not adequately taken care of, it will wither.”

“Hmm…perhaps that bard may be worth something after all,” Garth mused.

“Uh…um…e-excuse me? M-mr. Garth?” Teresa stammered. “Why do you…how come you don’t really…like Nando?”

“Because of his attitude towards life,” Garth growled. “He has no idea what sort of suffering life holds. Not like I do…”

Meanwhile, Echo appeared from Derak’s first Pokeball, flapping excitedly at its chance for a new experience.

“An interesting choice,” Nando remarked, observing Derak’s Zubat. “You may have the first move.”

Derak sighed. Something he noticed during his travels was that, whenever someone said that, they usually had something planned in advance. Realizing that he had little choice in the matter, however, he gave his first order.

“Echo, use Double Team!” Derak cried.

Still hovering near Derak, Echo suddenly duplicated itself multiple times. Soon, roughly a dozen duplicate Zubats formed a semi-circle in front of Nando and his Lilligant.

“I see. We shall use a preparatory tactic, as well,” Nando said. “Lilligant, use Sunny Day, please.”

Lilligant’s leafy arms began to glow a bright orange, and with an elegant ballerina-like twirl, the Grass-type lifted its arms into the air. An orange comet erupted from each the Flowering Pokemon’s arms, spiraling into the air and vanishing over the sun. Suddenly, the sunlight’s brightness and intensity were increased twofold, forcing Derak and Teresa to shield their eyes. Due to their choice of headwear, however, Garth and Nando had little difficulty.

“Now, Lilligant, shall we go on the offensive?” Nando asked. “Please, use Magical Leaf.”

Lilligant did another pirouette, this time summoning a swarm of glowing leaves that shot high into the air. The leaves then barreled down towards one specific Zubat clone on the far right, but despite the attack being a seemingly random shot, it struck the clone and knocked it to the ground. Derak’s eyes widened in shock as the remaining illusions vanished, Nando having broken the effect of Double Team.

“Echo!” Derak cried. “Quick, use Sludge Bomb before he can follow up!”

“Lilligant, please dodge, then use Energy Ball,” Nando said.

Echo took a deep breath, then spat out a wad of slime that hurdled towards its feminine foe. Shockingly, Lilligant vanished in a green blur, reappearing just behind Echo with a ball of emerald-colored energy already formed between its arms. The ball was flung directly into Echo’s back, launching the Zubat high into the air.

“Oh, no! Echo, return!” Derak cried, quickly withdrawing his Zubat before it could hit the ground. “How…how did Lilligant move so fast?”

“That would be because of Lilligant’s ability, Chlorophyll,” Nando replied calmly. “When the sunlight is particularly bright, such as when the effects of Sunny Day are in play, a Pokemon with Chlorophyll becomes significantly swifter in movement.”

“Great,” Derak sighed. “Anything else I should know?”

“Just that numerous Grass-type Pokemon are capable of having Chlorophyll as their ability,” Nando replied. “It is quite likely that a Pokemon in the Celadon Gym will be just as capable, and will seek to use that ability against you.”

“Ugh,” Derak groaned. “I already know how this is going to end.”

“Please, do not be discouraged,” Nando said. “Shall we continue?”

“Fine,” Derak sighed. “Brute, let’s go.”

Upon appearing, Brute narrowed his eyes at the sight of Lilligant. The Fighting-type could tell just by looking that its latest opponent was quite strong, especially with the Sunny Day still bearing down from overhead. Brute cracked its knuckles and prepared for a tough challenge.

“Ready, Brute?” Derak asked, to which he received a nod. “Okay, use Vacuum Wave!”

“Lilligant, please counter with Leaf Storm,” Nando said.

Brute released its Vacuum Wave, but Lilligant began to rapidly twirl in place. A cyclone of leaves whipped up around the spinning Grass-type, generating a wind that collided with the tunnel-shaped wind blast that was Brute’s attack. The Vacuum Wave was dispelled, but Lilligant’s Leaf Storm did not subside. The leaves suddenly burst forward in waves, blasting Brute off of the ground and sending it sailing across the pavement. As with Echo before it, Brute was also knocked out in a single shot.

“Brute! Ugh…return,” Derak sighed. “You did your best, given the what we're up against.”

“Do not despair,” Nando said. “You are doing well.”

“Yeah?” Derak snorted. “What makes you say that? We’re kinda getting clobbered, here.”

“And yet you have an opportunity to turn the tables,” Nando said. “Leaf Storm, while indeed a powerful move, becomes weaker every time it is used. Should your opponent know Leaf Storm or similar moves such as Overheat or Draco Meteor, you may be able to exploit their weaknesses. Shall we try exploiting Leaf Storm’s weakness?”

“…I guess it won’t hurt,” Derak sighed. “Wildfire, let’s go!”

“Ah, an excellent choice!” Nando complimented upon seeing the Chimchar before him. “Now, let us continue. Lilligant, use Sleep Powder, if you please.”

“Wildfire, use Protect!” Derak cried.

Lilligant released a glittering flurry of green powder from the flower on its head, the powder somehow maintaining an arrow-like shape as it headed towards Wildfire. The Chimchar, however, crossed its arms and formed a green bubble around itself. The Sleep Powder made contact with the Protect, but the former dissipated into nothing after touching the latter.

“Ah, well-played,” Nando complimented. “You may, however, have used that move too soon. Lilligant, please, use Solarbeam!”

“Wildfire, Protect again!” Derak ordered.

The Flowering Pokemon began to absorb particles of light into its flower, and after a brief moment of charging, the flower flashed once. With its charging process complete, Lilligant released a colossal beam of light into the air, allowing it to barrel down on Wildfire. In response, the small Fire-type put up another Protect, but unlike the first, this one faded away mere seconds after it was raised. A wide-eyed Chimchar then found itself on the receiving end of Lilligant’s Solarbeam, with only a burnt body and a large crater left where Wildfire once stood.

“WILDFIRE!” Derak yelled, rushing to his starter’s aid. “H-hey, are you okay?”

“Please forgive me,” Nando said as he approached his young opponent. “We may have done a bit too much in our last attack.”

“Liiilll,” said Lilligant with an apologetic bow of its head.

Derak said nothing as he recalled his unconscious Chimchar. Nando offered the boy a hand, but Derak did not take it, instead rising on his own. Despite this, a smile remained on Nando’s face as the bard began to speak once again.

“It has been an honor to help you train,” Nando said.

“What training?” Derak snorted. “We got slaughtered.”

“That was merely because of my greater amount of experience,” Nando said. “Although you were at a disadvantage, you performed admirably.”

“Sure,” Derak said, but his tone suggested disbelief. “I guess this’ll have to do for the Celadon Gym.”

“Assuming you learn how to use Protect properly,” Garth interjected. “It may be useful, but it cannot be used twice in a row.”

“Indeed,” Nando nodded. “Also, you may want to consider the possibility that your opponent may know how to use Solarbeam. It normally takes a short while to charge, but when Sunny Day is in effect, it is capable of being fired instantly.”

“Let me guess, a lot of Grass-types can use Solarbeam?” Derak sighed.

“You would be correct,” Nando nodded. “You may have a difficult challenge ahead of you, but I am confident that you will succeed.”

Derak, wishing for a second opinion, looked over to the two spectators. Teresa gave a nervous nod, while Garth simply shrugged. Derak gave a shrug as well, and turned back to Nando.

“All right, then,” Derak said. “Hope I don’t disappoint.”

“If I may, will you give me the privilege of observing your Gym battle?” Nando asked.

“Don’t you have a Contest or something to go to?” Derak asked.

“There is plenty of time before the next Contest,” Nando smiled. “And I cannot simply abandon a new friend.”

Ugh, when will this bard ever shut up and admit that he has no idea what he is talking about? Garth thought with a grunt.

Back in Orre, Anoch Kadir grew impatient. It had been several months since Derak had fled home, and Nick Spire had not contacted him in some time. Anoch gripped his head in his hands, grimacing as he wondered what was taking Spire so long.

A loud thump from outside caught his attention. Thinking that it might be Spire with Derak in tow, Anoch quickly headed for the front door. Just as he reached it, he hesitated. Through the door, he could hear something…something akin to heavy breathing.

Something inhuman was outside his door.

A blast of energy tore through the front half of Anoch’s house, knocking the businessman flat onto the floor as the roof was ripped away as if by a giant hand. Derak’s father could only stare in horror as a giant beast with three serpentine heads glared down upon him, snarling viciously. An object fell off of the beast’s back, and Anoch’s eyes widened as he realized that it was the unconscious body of his lawyer.

“Wh-what the hell is going on?!” Anoch cried.

The three-headed beast lowered itself to the ground, all six of its red eyes fixed on Anoch, and a familiar figure stepped off of its body.

Nobunaga.

“Anoch Kadir…a pleasure to meet you,” Nobunaga smirked. “Let me and Hydreigon here show you what we think of your interference with your son’s journey.”

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Chapter 16: Training Day

“Let me get this straight,” Garth sighed, his forehead in his palm. “Despite using a Fire-type Pokemon, as well as a Pokemon that is both a Poison-type and a Flying-type…you failed to defeat even ONE of the Celadon Gym Leader’s Pokemon?”

Well now, this is certainly different.

A day had passed since Derak and Garth arrived in Celadon City. After a quick training session in which Derak learned of the moves in Echo’s arsenal, the boy went to challenge the fourth of Kanto’s Gyms. Unfortunately, fate was not on Derak’s side.

“Hey, don’t look at me,” Derak protested, nursing what appeared to be a broken nose. “The Gym Leader’s Tangela used Ancientpower to clobber Echo, then it evolved into some freakish ball of vines that—for some weird reason—doesn’t care if its arms get eaten. Then it instantly beat Brute with a Poison Jab to the chest, and then it threw out another Ancientpower that launched Wildfire RIGHT INTO MY FACE. Don’t blame me for other people’s use of cheap tricks.”

Somehow this description of the fight tells me everything I need to know without actually seeing it. In all seriousness, I don't feel like I'm missing out, because this is more than enough.

“Evolving in mid-battle is against no official rules,” Garth sighed. “Were you not the one who simply said to try again if beaten?”

I think it's worth noting that a Gym Leader's Pokemon evolving in the middle of a battle is something I don't believe has ever happened in the anime, so this is worth something.

“That was before Erika unleashed her Tangrowth of Super-Armed Death,” Derak grumbled. “How are my guys supposed to fight something that can hit them from across the whole battlefield?”

“We train,” Garth said flatly. “I believe we will be able to use one of my Pokemon’s attacks to simulate Tangrowth’s elastic arms. Once your Pokemon are finished healing, we can begin that.”

“I guess that’ll work,” Derak muttered, still massaging his injured nose.

Garth only nodded and took a drink from his canteen.

“Okay, what is it with you and that canteen?” Derak asked. “Nobunaga-related trauma probably won’t relate to why you obsessively drink out of that one canteen.”

“You would need to know my story in its entirety in order to fully understand why I only drink from this canteen,” Garth sighed.

“…lactose intolerance?” Derak guessed. “That’s the first thing I can think of, anyway.”

lol what.

The canteen is important, isn't it? Something about it makes me feel like it's meant to be a Chekhov's Gun.

Garth blinked at Derak’s somewhat random response before shaking his head. Before their conversation could continue further, a pair of familiar faces entered the Pokemon Center. Garth narrowed his eyes upon recognition, still bitter from his encounter outside Pewter City.

“Good day to you, Nurse Joy,” said Nando, giving the nurse a polite nod of greeting. Teresa, the shy Coordinator, clung to his cloak as if fearing that he would suddenly vanish without a trace. “We would appreciate it if you would heal our Pokemon.”

Good to see them back again.

“That’s no problem at all,” Nurse Joy nodded. “Just give them here and they’ll be good as new in a couple of minutes.”

Nando handed Nurse Joy a set of six Pokeballs. Teresa followed suit with her four, albeit with a hard swallow and shaking hands. The nurse took the balls and went over to a healing machine, where Derak’s own three Pokeballs sat.

“Hey, it was, uh…Nando, right?” Derak asked.

“Ah, hello there, Derak!” Nando smiled. “Yes, that is correct. Teresa, this is Derak and his friend Garth. Derak watched your Contest debut in Pewter City.”

“Hel…hello,” Teresa gulped, tightening her grip on Nando’s robe. “It’s…nice…to meet you?”

I'm trying to remember why Teresa is so shy, but nothing's coming back up in mind. Was it stated before, or was she just shy?

Derak merely raised his hand in acknowledgement.

“And how are you, sir?” Nando said, turning to Garth.

“…I am well,” Garth growled. Derak winced, expecting his cloaked companion to attack Nando once more.

Oh, Garth, don't ever change.

“That is good to hear,” Nando nodded. “So, my friends, how has your journey been thus far?”

“Lost at the Celadon Gym a little while ago,” Derak interjected with a raise of his hand, primarily to keep Garth restrained.

“Ah, that is unfortunate,” Nando said. “I wish you the best of luck in your next match.”

Teresa added a nervous nod.

“I think I’m going to need it,” Derak sighed. “Maybe one of my Pokemon will spontaneously evolve and wreck the Leader’s team. That’d be a nice change.”

Do I see some foreshadowing here?

“One can only hope,” Garth sighed.

“If I may…the Celadon Gym Leader prefers Grass-type Pokemon, correct?” Nando asked.

“Yeah, why?” Derak asked.

“I believe I have an idea that would benefit all involved parties,” Nando began. “It just so happens that I have quite a collection of Grass-types myself. I would like to offer my services as a training partner in order to better prepare you for your upcoming rematch.”

Nice way to work Nando in an important role. This really works.

“Not on your life!” Garth growled.

“Oh, shut up, Garth,” Derak groaned, leaning back in his chair. “You’re still mad that Nando gave you decent advice back in Pewter.”

“That has nothing to do with it!” Garth snapped. “I still have need of you, and I will not have your training trusted to some chronically-drunken bard!”

Oh wow Garth, someone's got their panties in a wad today. What is it about Nando exactly that set him off so badly? Is he really chronically drunken?

A few moments later, Nando and Derak stood in the streets of Celadon with enough distance between them for a battle. Garth and Teresa remained on the sidelines, the former with arms folded and the latter seemingly attempting to hide in her jacket.

“In order to simulate the Gym battle, we shall each use three Pokemon,” Nando began. “Now, let us begin, Lilligant!”

Nando’s Pokemon was a feminine creature with chalk white skin and orange eyes. Its body was primarily composed of a large bulb that was physically similar to the lower half of a dress, and atop the Pokemon’s pale green hair was a large flower positioned as if it were a hat. Two leafy arms fanned out from the Pokemon’s sides, and swirled about as the Pokemon did a pirouette in place.

Perfect. Lilligant fits him like a glove.

“Lilligant,” Derak’s Pokedex reported, “the Flowering Pokemon. Type is Grass. Evolved form of Petilil. The fragrance of the garland on its head has a relaxing effect, but if it is not adequately taken care of, it will wither.”

“Hmm…perhaps that bard may be worth something after all,” Garth mused.

“Uh…um…e-excuse me? M-mr. Garth?” Teresa stammered. “Why do you…how come you don’t really…like Nando?”

“Because of his attitude towards life,” Garth growled. “He has no idea what sort of suffering life holds. Not like I do…”

I didn't actually expect there to be a deeper reason behind Garth's hatred of Nando, but here it is. I'm actually rather intrigued by how this sounds; it could give quite a look into the opposing worldviews Garth and Nando hold.

Derak sighed. Something he noticed during his travels was that, whenever someone said that, they usually had something planned in advance. Realizing that he had little choice in the matter, however, he gave his first order.

Nice lampshading.

“Echo, use Double Team!” Derak cried.

Still hovering near Derak, Echo suddenly duplicated itself multiple times. Soon, roughly a dozen duplicate Zubats formed a semi-circle in front of Nando and his Lilligant.

“I see. We shall use a preparatory tactic, as well,” Nando said. “Lilligant, use Sunny Day, please.”

Lilligant’s leafy arms began to glow a bright orange, and with an elegant ballerina-like twirl, the Grass-type lifted its arms into the air. An orange comet erupted from each the Flowering Pokemon’s arms, spiraling into the air and vanishing over the sun. Suddenly, the sunlight’s brightness and intensity were increased twofold, forcing Derak and Teresa to shield their eyes. Due to their choice of headwear, however, Garth and Nando had little difficulty.

Oh boy, Nando's not messing around here. I like the fact he's using tactics.

“Now, Lilligant, shall we go on the offensive?” Nando asked. “Please, use Magical Leaf.”

Lilligant did another pirouette, this time summoning a swarm of glowing leaves that shot high into the air. The leaves then barreled down towards one specific Zubat clone on the far right, but despite the attack being a seemingly random shot, it struck the clone and knocked it to the ground. Derak’s eyes widened in shock as the remaining illusions vanished, Nando having broken the effect of Double Team.

Good use of Magical Leaf's effect of guaranteed hitting.

“Echo!” Derak cried. “Quick, use Sludge Bomb before he can follow up!”

“Lilligant, please dodge, then use Energy Ball,” Nando said.

Echo took a deep breath, then spat out a wad of slime that hurdled towards its feminine foe. Shockingly, Lilligant vanished in a green blur, reappearing just behind Echo with a ball of emerald-colored energy already formed between its arms. The ball was flung directly into Echo’s back, launching the Zubat high into the air.

“Oh, no! Echo, return!” Derak cried, quickly withdrawing his Zubat before it could hit the ground. “How…how did Lilligant move so fast?”

“That would be because of Lilligant’s ability, Chlorophyll,” Nando replied calmly. “When the sunlight is particularly bright, such as when the effects of Sunny Day are in play, a Pokemon with Chlorophyll becomes significantly swifter in movement.”

I knew Nando was planning something when he used Sunny Day. Derak letting him set up was a mistake, obviously.

“Great,” Derak sighed. “Anything else I should know?”

“Just that numerous Grass-type Pokemon are capable of having Chlorophyll as their ability,” Nando replied. “It is quite likely that a Pokemon in the Celadon Gym will be just as capable, and will seek to use that ability against you.”

Ah, good teachable moment here. This will surely be useful against Erika.

“Ugh,” Derak groaned. “I already know how this is going to end.”

“Please, do not be discouraged,” Nando said. “Shall we continue?”

“Fine,” Derak sighed. “Brute, let’s go.”

Upon appearing, Brute narrowed his eyes at the sight of Lilligant. The Fighting-type could tell just by looking that its latest opponent was quite strong, especially with the Sunny Day still bearing down from overhead. Brute cracked its knuckles and prepared for a tough challenge.

“Ready, Brute?” Derak asked, to which he received a nod. “Okay, use Vacuum Wave!”

“Lilligant, please counter with Leaf Storm,” Nando said.

Brute released its Vacuum Wave, but Lilligant began to rapidly twirl in place. A cyclone of leaves whipped up around the spinning Grass-type, generating a wind that collided with the tunnel-shaped wind blast that was Brute’s attack. The Vacuum Wave was dispelled, but Lilligant’s Leaf Storm did not subside. The leaves suddenly burst forward in waves, blasting Brute off of the ground and sending it sailing across the pavement. As with Echo before it, Brute was also knocked out in a single shot.

Derak sure is overmatched here.

“Brute! Ugh…return,” Derak sighed. “You did your best, given the what we're up against.”

“Do not despair,” Nando said. “You are doing well.”

“Yeah?” Derak snorted. “What makes you say that? We’re kinda getting clobbered, here.”

“And yet you have an opportunity to turn the tables,” Nando said. “Leaf Storm, while indeed a powerful move, becomes weaker every time it is used. Should your opponent know Leaf Storm or similar moves such as Overheat or Draco Meteor, you may be able to exploit their weaknesses. Shall we try exploiting Leaf Storm’s weakness?”

“…I guess it won’t hurt,” Derak sighed. “Wildfire, let’s go!”

Oh, I see now. This is where Derak is going to learn something, isn't it?

“Ah, an excellent choice!” Nando complimented upon seeing the Chimchar before him. “Now, let us continue. Lilligant, use Sleep Powder, if you please.”

“Wildfire, use Protect!” Derak cried.

Lilligant released a glittering flurry of green powder from the flower on its head, the powder somehow maintaining an arrow-like shape as it headed towards Wildfire. The Chimchar, however, crossed its arms and formed a green bubble around itself. The Sleep Powder made contact with the Protect, but the former dissipated into nothing after touching the latter.

“Ah, well-played,” Nando complimented. “You may, however, have used that move too soon. Lilligant, please, use Solarbeam!”

“Wildfire, Protect again!” Derak ordered.

The Flowering Pokemon began to absorb particles of light into its flower, and after a brief moment of charging, the flower flashed once. With its charging process complete, Lilligant released a colossal beam of light into the air, allowing it to barrel down on Wildfire. In response, the small Fire-type put up another Protect, but unlike the first, this one faded away mere seconds after it was raised. A wide-eyed Chimchar then found itself on the receiving end of Lilligant’s Solarbeam, with only a burnt body and a large crater left where Wildfire once stood.

“WILDFIRE!” Derak yelled, rushing to his starter’s aid. “H-hey, are you okay?”

“Please forgive me,” Nando said as he approached his young opponent. “We may have done a bit too much in our last attack.”

That was a surprise. I thought Derak would learn to exploit Sunny Day boosting Fire moves.

“If I may, will you give me the privilege of observing your Gym battle?” Nando asked.

“Don’t you have a Contest or something to go to?” Derak asked.

“There is plenty of time before the next Contest,” Nando smiled. “And I cannot simply abandon a new friend.”

Ugh, when will this bard ever shut up and admit that he has no idea what he is talking about? Garth thought with a grunt.

I'm sure Garth will come around soon enough.

Back in Orre, Anoch Kadir grew impatient. It had been several months since Derak had fled home, and Nick Spire had not contacted him in some time. Anoch gripped his head in his hands, grimacing as he wondered what was taking Spire so long.

Oh boy, this guy. Something bad's about to happen, I'm sure.

A loud thump from outside caught his attention. Thinking that it might be Spire with Derak in tow, Anoch quickly headed for the front door. Just as he reached it, he hesitated. Through the door, he could hear something…something akin to heavy breathing.

Something inhuman was outside his door.

A blast of energy tore through the front half of Anoch’s house, knocking the businessman flat onto the floor as the roof was ripped away as if by a giant hand. Derak’s father could only stare in horror as a giant beast with three serpentine heads glared down upon him, snarling viciously. An object fell off of the beast’s back, and Anoch’s eyes widened as he realized that it was the unconscious body of his lawyer.

Unconscious or lifeless?

“Wh-what the hell is going on?!” Anoch cried.

The three-headed beast lowered itself to the ground, all six of its red eyes fixed on Anoch, and a familiar figure stepped off of its body.

Nobunaga.

“Anoch Kadir…a pleasure to meet you,” Nobunaga smirked. “Let me and Hydreigon here show you what we think of your interference with your son’s journey.”

I think Anoch Kadir just met his worst nightmare.

I wouldn't worry about how you handled this chapter. This was better than the Lt. Surge battle taking place offscreen, because we got a bit better an amount of detail on what happened against Erika, enough so that we know the necessities of what went on. The training should offer some good lessons for Derak, too, even if it was a bit merciless. I can see his rematch with Erika going quite well based on what he could have picked up from fighting Nando. One thing that has me wondering, though, is that with Spire out of commission and Nobunaga over in Orre, what will happen next exactly?

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
In the light of the increasing amounts of awesome this fic is producing, I think I'll limit this review to the two latest chapters, fifteen and sixteen.

Firstly, if I recall my Kanto geography, Rock Tunnel doesn't lead to Celadon City from Lavender. It leads to Route 10 and the Power Plant. This, notwithstanding, is an excellent chapter in my book. The interactions between Melissa and Derak just keep escalating and now even her Pokemon wonder to Arceus what on earth they did wrong. Just loved that bit. :D

Nick's plan wasn't too bright, was it? What else did he expect to happen? Honestly...

Back to speaking of interactions, Derak's description of his battle with Erika to Garth had to be the highlight of the chapter. Although I do believe Derak has a point: Nando pretty much crushed him, and while he gained so much information about Grass types, Nando didn't exactly help hi devise any counterstrategies, despite the double advantage Derak's team has (Wildfire and Echo). Something tells me the rematch will be quite detailed.

Theresa's another cookie you seem to find tricky to let us know she's there. Whether you're laying emphasis on her timidity or the task is getting a bit much remains to be seen. While we get she's a little dormouse in personality, this might rub people the wrong way unless a bit more depth is given in my opinion. Garth with his canteen forcibly reminded me of Mad Eye Moody and his hip flask from Harry Potter. Wonder if the reasons are similar?

And as a footnote, Nobunaga's exploits as footnotes in the chapters is starting to become a pattern. I get that he's evil, and wants Derak to continue his journey, I just thought shifting it somewhere else in the chapter as a scene cut might make for a more interesting/refreshing twist.

All in all, this is definitely a work I'm keeping my eye on, and I'm pleased it's going on. Don't worry about the timespan between chapters. People prefer quality over quantity. Any day.

L@er!

Morpher01

Bewear my power
The Great Butler:
Somehow this description of the fight tells me everything I need to know without actually seeing it. In all seriousness, I don't feel like I'm missing out, because this is more than enough.

That was the main thing I was worried about with this chapter, so it's good to know that it went over well.

I think it's worth noting that a Gym Leader's Pokemon evolving in the middle of a battle is something I don't believe has ever happened in the anime, so this is worth something.

Actually, it happened twice back in Kanto: Sabrina's Abra and Koga's Venonat evolved mid-battle against Ash. Still, I figured I could use that tactic for Erika's Tangela, seeing as it has the whole "Ancientpower-induced-evolution" thing.

The canteen is important, isn't it? Something about it makes me feel like it's meant to be a Chekhov's Gun.

You would be right. Not saying any more than that just yet.

I'm trying to remember why Teresa is so shy, but nothing's coming back up in mind. Was it stated before, or was she just shy?

It wasn't stated before, and there's actually a reason Teresa's so shy. You'll see around Saffron-ish.

Do I see some foreshadowing here?

I'm not really spoiling much by saying that none of Derak's Pokemon will be evolving for a while. And what you see is just Derak whining. XD

That was a surprise. I thought Derak would learn to exploit Sunny Day boosting Fire moves.

Honestly...I totally forgot about that aspect of Sunny Day. XD I've managed to work it into the next chapter, though.

One thing that has me wondering, though, is that with Spire out of commission and Nobunaga over in Orre, what will happen next exactly?

You'll see. XD

Air Dragon:
In the light of the increasing amounts of awesome this fic is producing, I think I'll limit this review to the two latest chapters, fifteen and sixteen.

...for some reason, I can't really tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Firstly, if I recall my Kanto geography, Rock Tunnel doesn't lead to Celadon City from Lavender. It leads to Route 10 and the Power Plant.

I kinda re-structured it a little for the sake of convenience. I needed a cave for Derak to get Echo in (primarily because I didn't want to make Echo and Brute's captures too close together time-wise), and the Rock Tunnel was the best choice.

Also, I was originally taking Kanto's geography from FRLG (as HGSS hadn't been released at the time of original writing) despite not having actually played it, so I was bound to get a few things wrong. XD

This, notwithstanding, is an excellent chapter in my book. The interactions between Melissa and Derak just keep escalating and now even her Pokemon wonder to Arceus what on earth they did wrong. Just loved that bit.

Glad to hear it, because there will be more of those moments. XD

Back to speaking of interactions, Derak's description of his battle with Erika to Garth had to be the highlight of the chapter. Although I do believe Derak has a point: Nando pretty much crushed him, and while he gained so much information about Grass types, Nando didn't exactly help hi devise any counterstrategies, despite the double advantage Derak's team has (Wildfire and Echo). Something tells me the rematch will be quite detailed.

You're probably right about Nando's lack of real help, but then again, Derak wouldn't really learn too much if Nando was there with free strategies.

And, yes, the rematch will be quite detailed. And long.

Theresa's another cookie you seem to find tricky to let us know she's there. Whether you're laying emphasis on her timidity or the task is getting a bit much remains to be seen. While we get she's a little dormouse in personality, this might rub people the wrong way unless a bit more depth is given in my opinion. Garth with his canteen forcibly reminded me of Mad Eye Moody and his hip flask from Harry Potter. Wonder if the reasons are similar?

You'll be finding out more about Teresa around Saffron City, where she and Nando will most likely be appearing next. There's actually a good reason for her timidness.

And if I'm correctly recalling the reason why "Moody" (quotations necessary for, ahem, spoiler-ish reasons) drank so frequently from that hip flask, then you might be drawing a fairly accurate conclusion. I can't say for certain just yet, but I will say this: a lot of stuff gets revealed around Saffron, regarding several characters. You'll see. XD

And as a footnote, Nobunaga's exploits as footnotes in the chapters is starting to become a pattern. I get that he's evil, and wants Derak to continue his journey, I just thought shifting it somewhere else in the chapter as a scene cut might make for a more interesting/refreshing twist.

Eh, I mostly just needed Nobunaga to do something instead of just sitting around and twiddling his thumbs as he waits for Derak to get his eight badges. I'm toying with a sub-plot idea for him, but I'm not sure if I like it just yet, as it would require introducing another new character (and there's already quite a few).

All in all, this is definitely a work I'm keeping my eye on, and I'm pleased it's going on. Don't worry about the timespan between chapters. People prefer quality over quantity. Any day.

Thanks for the encouragement. The longer timespan has actually helped me quite a bit, so it's reassuring to know that people don't mind it too much.

Morpher01

Bewear my power
At last, it's time for the fourth Gym battle.

Chapter 17: Celadon Gym

The day after his training with Nando, Derak entered the greenhouse-like Celadon Gym alongside both Teresa and the bard himself. Inside was a sight that seemed rather out-of-place in a city as industrious as Celadon: a large assortment of various types of plant life, arranged in such a way that they surrounded a large battlefield.

“This certainly is a unique Gym,” Nando remarked. “I look forward to battling here myself.”

“Don’t get too cozy,” Derak advised. “The Gym Leader bans people if they don’t like perfume. Seriously.”

“Well…I suppose we all have our priorities,” Nando commented, although he did seem slightly taken aback by this revelation.

Some of the denser plants over at the opposing end of the field began to rustle, and a young woman emerged from within. Despite having passed through dense plant life without aid from any sort of tool, her yellow-and-red kimono appeared spotless, as did her neck-length dark hair.

“Oh, hello again, Derak,” said the young woman. “Have you been doing training with your friends there?”

“Pretty much,” Derak shrugged, remembering some of the last-minute tips Nando had given him. “It was…Erika, right? Can we just get on with this?”

“Sure,” Erika nodded. “Let’s get started.”

All the present humans took their respective places. Derak stood at one end of the battlefield, Erika at the other. Nando and Teresa found a bench on the sidelines, and an apron-wearing girl on the side edge of the arena held up two flags to indicate her status as the referee.

“This will be a three-on-three Pokemon battle!” the referee declared. “Each trainer will use three Pokemon, and the battle will be over when all three—”

“Okay, can we skip this intro stuff?” Derak interrupted. “I mean, we’ve already heard it for the last battle, and I don’t think Gym rules get changed every five minutes, so what’s the point of listening to it again?”

The referee blinked, looking to Erika for the answer. The Gym Leader merely shrugged.

“Okay, then, begin the match!” the referee cried, swinging her flags upward.

“All right…Bellossom, you’re up first!” Erika cried.

The first of Erika’s Pokemon was rather small, just barely over a foot in height. It appeared to be, for all intents and purposes, a green-skinned hula girl. It even had a leafy, green-and-yellow skirt and two vibrant red flowers on its head, completing its thematic attire. In its hands, however, was a small brown rock covered in crimson crystals.

“New tricks, huh?” Derak remarked, pulling out his Pokedex. “Nice of you to not start off with the Tangrowth that slaughtered me.”

“Bellossom,” the Dex reported, “the Flower Pokemon. Type is Grass. Evolved form of Gloom. When the heavy rain season ends, it is drawn out by warm sunlight to dance in the open. A Gloom will only evolve into a Bellossom if it is exposed to a Sun Stone.”

“Somehow, I can already guess what this thing’s going to hit me with,” Derak sighed, remembering his battle with Nando’s Lilligant the previous day. “Echo, let’s go!”

“Zubat versus Bellossom!” the referee declared once Echo appeared on the field. “Begin the--!”

“All right, now you’re just treating us all like idiots,” Derak interrupted again. “We DO have working eyes, you know.”

“He’s…er…a bit, uh…mean…isn’t he?” Teresa said slowly.

“Perhaps,” Nando chuckled, “but that is simply who he is. There are many sorts of people in our world, just as there are many sorts of Pokemon.”

“Oh…I see,” Teresa nodded slightly, turning her gaze back to the battle. Erika’s Bellossom gracefully danced aside to evade a sequence of Sludge Bombs from Derak’s Zubat, much to the former’s pleasure.

“Let’s start our counter-attack!” Erika cried. “Use Sunny Day!”

Of course, Derak thought bitterly.

Just as he had predicted, Bellossom’s tiny arms did indeed charge with orange energy, which coursed through the strange stone that it held. The Grass-type lifted the stone into the air, allowing its Sunny Day to pass through and burst into the sky, much like the Sunny Day that Nando’s Lilligant had used.

“Okay, Echo, go in for Zen Headbutt!” Derak cried.

Echo’s pointy ears shone with a blue light as they began to emit a series of blue energy waves, somehow using the waves to form a protective wall in front of its head. The Zubat then charged directly towards Bellossom, aiming to strike it literally head-first, only for the Grass-type to suddenly vanish in a blur of green.

“Ugh, there’s Chlorophyll again,” Derak sighed bitterly. “Echo, go up in the air and send out a few more Sludge Bombs!”

“Oh, no, you don’t!” Erika yelled. “Bellossom, stop it with Teeter Dance!”

The Flower Pokemon reappeared in another blur of movement, this time standing in the center of the battlefield. Echo took to the skies, attempting to find an angle from which a Sludge Bomb would deal maximum damage. Before the Poison-type could fire, however, Bellossom began to rhythmically sashay from side to side in a manner truly befitting of a hula girl. Although it lacked any visible means of actually seeing Bellossom perform this dance, some mysterious quality to the attack completely fouled Echo’s innate sonar, causing it to fall to the ground in a befuddled heap.

“Echo!” Derak cried as his Zubat lied on the ground, attempting to dance along with Bellossom using only its wings. “Uh…what are you doing?”

“Derak, be careful,” Nando advised. “Teeter Dance can inflict confusion upon opposing Pokemon, which appears to have happened to your Zubat.”

“How is that even possible? Echo doesn’t have any eyes!” Derak complained. “Ugh, nothing we can do about that…Echo, return.”

“Switching out already?” Erika asked as Derak recalled his Zubat. “You’re not actually giving up, are you?”

“I didn’t give up after a giant vine monster destroyed my team,” Derak said. “Pretty sure a dancing plant-girl isn’t that threatening. Okay, since Sunny Day is supposed to juice up Fire-types, too…Wildfire, let’s go!”

Upon materialization, Derak’s Chimchar eyed the Bellossom viciously. It knew that it was chosen to fight in this battle again for some reason. It knew that it absolutely had to redeem itself for its earlier failure, or else the worst could happen.

“All right, Bellossom, use Sludge Bomb!” Erika cried.

“Dodge and use Ember!” Derak cried.

Bellossom mimicked Echo by spitting out a wad of slime, which Wildfire agilely leapt over. The Chimchar landed with a quick somersault, releasing a storm of small fireballs that burned more intensely once exposed to Bellossom’s Sunny Day. Consequently, Bellossom was knocked onto its back by the Ember’s increased power, whereas before it would have only cringed.

“Bellossom, no!” Erika cried. “This is a bit of a gamble, but we’ll have to try and hit that Chimchar as hard as we can. Use Solarbeam, quick!”

“Wildfire, block it with Protect!” Derak cried.

Bellossom’s petals began to glow brightly as energy from the sunlight began to flood into them. Again repeating the patterns demonstrated by Nando’s Lilligant, the Flower Pokemon unleashed an enormous beam of light into the air. Just as the beam curved down, however, Wildfire put its Protect in place, allowing it to harmlessly disperse the Solarbeam.

“Use Solarbeam one more time!” Erika cried.

“Use Pro…wait, we can’t use Protect, can we?” Derak muttered. As he struggled to come up with a new command, however, Bellossom’s Solarbeam was already in the air. “Aw, crud! Wildfire, just…I don’t know, do something! Something that works!”

The beam bore down on Wildfire, but the Chimchar barely noticed. Its steely gaze was transfixed on Bellossom, knowing that its trainer caused Wildfire’s own trainer to lose. And it was all Wildfire’s fault. It had to redeem itself…it had to!

The Solarbeam found its mark, the fire monkey completely obscured by the blinding light. Derak and Teresa shielded their eyes, but all Nando had to do was simply lower his hat. Only Erika saw a wheel of fire burst from the light and collide with Bellossom, hitting the Grass-type with such force that it was unconscious by her feet in moments.

“…what? What happened?” Derak blinked, finding the flaming wheel still burning but spinning in place, its target having already been recalled. The flames soon dissipated, revealing Wildfire within. “Wildfire…? You’re okay!”

“I think it’s more than okay,” Erika corrected. “Your Chimchar has just learned how to use Flame Wheel.”

“That’s what it’s called?” Derak remarked. “Well, it fits, I suppose.”

“Don’t celebrate too soon,” Erika warned, another Pokeball in hand. “Now it’s time for my second Pokemon!”

Her next choice was a rather odd-looking creature, resembling a deflated yellow balloon with a pair of large leafs at its base and a third leaf covering its circular pink mouth. Two unpleasant-looking eyes gazed out from underneath a pair of sharp fangs, and a long brown vine hung behind the Pokemon. The fact that its cry sounded like a human woman’s scream only added to its unusual nature.

“Victreebel,” Derak’s Pokedex reported, “the Flycatcher Pokemon. Type is Grass and Poison. Evolved form of Weepinbell. It pools in its mouth a fluid with a honey-like scent, which is really an acid that can dissolve anything.”

“…wonderful,” Derak sighed. “Note to self: keep away from anything that smells like honey.”

Wildfire glared harshly at Erika’s Victreebel, but Derak held out its orange Pokeball.

“Sorry, pal, I need to save you for that Tangrowth,” Derak said as he returned Wildfire to the confines of its Pokeball. “Echo, come on back out!”

Derak’s Zubat appeared once again, apparently recovered from its disorientation. It nonetheless winced a little, however, as a cave-dwelling Pokemon was clearly uncomfortable with the still-intensified sunlight.

“Shouldn’t the sunlight have gone back to normal by now?” Derak asked, using his hand to cast a shade over his eyes.

“Normally, yes,” Erika replied. “But not this time. Bellossom was holding a Heat Rock, which lengthens the amount of time Sunny Day is in effect.”

“Brilliant,” Derak sighed. “Guess we’ll have to roll with it. Echo, use Supersonic!”

Echo began to screech incessantly, releasing a series of sound waves that bombarded Victreebel’s hearing. The balloon-like plant began to wobble dizzily, its trainer grimacing as she realized that Echo had returned the favor from Bellossom’s earlier Teeter Dance.

“Oh, no!” Erika gasped. “Victreebel, try and pull through with Vine Whip!”

The Flycatcher Pokemon’s long brown vine lashed out angrily but, due to the Grass-type’s confused state, only struck the ground a few feet away from Echo. The vine soon came back to its owner with some force, slapping the space between Victreebel’s eyes. Noticing an opportunity, Echo looked over to Derak and let out a small screech as it used one of its needle-like legs to gesture to its opponent.

“You want to attack, huh?” Derak asked, to which Echo nodded. “I guess we’ve got the upper hand, so go ahead and use Zen Headbutt!”

Echo complied by charging once again, this time slamming its glowing head into Victreebel’s stomach. The Grass-type’s eyes bulged as the force of the impact became apparent, sending the Flycatcher Pokemon tumbling across the dirt with a large bruise on its front. Victreebel shoved its vine against the ground, struggling to push itself up. Noticing this, Echo prepared a Sludge Bomb that would finish off its balloon-shaped foe.

“Hold on a second, Echo!” Derak called. “Let’s give Victreebel a chance to get up first.”

Echo made an inquisitive screech, but nonetheless obeyed. As Victreebel slowly rose, Nando smiled widely.

“Do you see, Teresa?” he said. “Even if some people may seem unpleasant, beneath that may be something more.”

“I…I see,” Teresa nodded.

“I must say, you are certainly an excellent learner,” Nando said with a reassuring smile. “It honors me to be the guide for your journey. Now, let us observe the rest of Derak’s battle. It is sure to be most excellent.”

Nando’s vision returned to the battlefield, but Teresa’s mind was on other subjects. She knew someone who was utterly vicious in his temperament, and Derak’s rudeness occasionally reminded her of troubling circumstances she faced while in proximity to that person. But now, knowing that Derak was not so poor of character…what did that say about the bully she once knew?

“I have to give you credit. You’re really sporting,” Erika remarked.

“Nah,” Derak shrugged. “I just don’t like beating my opponents senseless.”

“Well…whatever the case, let’s continue!” Erika cried. “Victreebel, use Vine Whip!”

Victreebel prepared to lash its vine forward once more, but its eyes suddenly squeezed shut as feminine whimpers came from its circular mouth. Echo allowed itself a small smile, realizing that the bruise its Zen Headbutt had inflicted was causing Victreebel to flinch, rendering the Grass-type unable to attack. The Zubat looked back at its trainer, gesturing to the flinching Victreebel.

“Well, now that it’s up, I guess we can start our attack again,” Derak shrugged. “Finish this with Sludge Bomb!”

Echo finally fired its Sludge Bomb, and—despite its lack of eyes—was able to aim for the bruise on Victreebel’s stomach. The effectiveness of the blow was greatly increased by this decision, causing the Flycatcher Pokemon to fall in defeat.

“Victreebel, return,” Erika said. “You did very well…and so have you, Derak. You have yet to lose a single Pokemon in this rematch, yet I’ve lost two out of three.”

“I’ve been playing it safe for now,” Derak said grimly. “I know what’s coming next.”

“I’m sure you do,” Erika smirked. “Tangrowth, come on out!”

There it was.

The huge, shaggy beast that had destroyed Derak in his previous encounter with it. Covered head-to-toe in dark blue vines, the only distinguishable features of this monstrosity were two cartoonish eyes near the top of its body. Two slender, red-tipped blue arms emerged from the beast’s sides, stretching down to its stubby black legs.

“Tang-gang!” Tangrowth chattered, whipping the ground with one arm.

Derak snarled at the memory of this horrendous beast. It had evolved from a Tanglea—a smaller ball of blue vines—and obliterated his entire team. Now, it was time to settle the score.

“Okay…here we go,” Derak growled. “Ready to keep going, Echo?”

The Zubat nodded eagerly. It, too, desired a chance for revenge.

“All right, let’s start off with Double Team!” Derak cried.

“Tangrowth, use Power Whip!” Erika cried.

Echo produced a plethora of illusory Zubats, hiding itself among them. Tangrowth, howver, appeared unconcerned as one of its arms began to glow green. The shaggy beast swung the glowing arm in a wide arc, cutting through all the Echo copies and knocking the real one to the ground.

“Now, follow up with Ancientpower!” Erika cried.

“Not this time!” Derak cried. “Echo, quick, fly up and use Sludge Bomb!”

Echo pushed itself off of the ground and sailed into the air, releasing a Sludge Bomb that barreled directly towards Tangrowth. The Sludge Bomb’s target, however, became surrounded with an aura of silvery energy that swirled into a ball that Tangrowth held between the tips of its arms. It flung the ball towards the Sludge Bomb, and the two attacks collided in an explosion of smoke and slime.

“Tangrowth, Brick Break!”

Derak had no idea where Tangrowth was, seeing as the smoke generated by the explosion had clouded the entire battlefield. Echo was screeching desperately, trying to use its echolocation to find its monstrous foe. Unfortunately, one large vine-like arm suddenly slammed down on Echo’s back, sending the Poison-type into the dirt. The smoke soon cleared, revealing that Tangrowth had performed something of a karate chop on Echo’s body.

“Aw, great,” Derak grimaced. “Echo, return…well, this is going to go badly.”

“Derak, please, do not give up just yet,” Nando called. “Two Pokemon remain on your side. Is there a way that you can turn this around?”

“Hmm…well, the Sunny Day looks like it’s still going,” Derak said, observing that Bellossom’s attack still had yet to fade away. “Might as well try and make it count while it can. Wildfire, let’s go!”

Upon seeing Erika’s Tangrowth, Wildfire grimaced as well. This monster had utterly decimated the fire monkey before. Perhaps, now that it knew Flame Wheel, it could turn things around?

“It’s our turn, now!” Erika cried. “Tangrowth, use Poison Jab!”

“I know how that works, so…Wildfire, use Flame Wheel along Tangrowth’s arm!” Derak cried.

The tips of Tangrowth’s arm began to glow purple, and with a sudden burst of speed that was likely provided by yet another instance of Chlorophyll, Tangrowth’s arm shot forward. Wildfire, however, managed to time its jump in such a way that the Poison Jab would thrust into the ground, allowing the Chimchar to execute its newly-learned Flame Wheel. As Derak had instructed, Wildfire rode its Flame Wheel along Tangrowth’s arm, quickly slamming into Tangrowth’s main body and knocking it back slightly.

“Now, follow up with Ember!” Derak cried.

Wildfire obeyed, but Tangrowth merely used its other arm to block the ensuing storm of tiny fireballs. Tangrowth then brought its arm downward in another Brick Break attempt, only for Wildfire to shield itself with a Protect. Rather than retract its arm, however, Tangrowth instead dug its extended arm into the ground behind Wildfire’s Protect.

“Now, Tangrowth!” Erika cried. “Use Body Slam!”

“Oh, crud!” Derak sputtered. “Wildfire, get out of the way!”

Using its anchored arm as leverage, Tangrowth pulled itself towards Wildfire with alarming speed. The sight of a massive vine-covered beast hurdling towards it caused the Chimchar to panic, its feet frozen to the spot. Tangrowth collided full-force with Wildfire’s body, pressing the small Fire-type into the ground.

“Aw, come on,” Derak sighed. “Wildfire, return.”

“Will…will he be able to win?” Teresa ventured.

“He does seem to be in a tight situation,” Nando agreed, “but he still has one Pokemon left. And sometimes, that one Pokemon may make all the difference.”

Derak sighed as he held up Brute’s Pokeball. All his hopes were riding on the first Pokemon that he caught. He refused to be ridiculed by Garth because he could not win this battle. Brute had to do this…he knew that it could.

“Okay…last one,” Derak gulped. “Brute, let’s go!”

The Machop appeared with its arms crossed, its eyes narrowing at the sight of Tangrowth. It knew what it had to do, and regardless of how difficult it would be, that task would be compmlete.

“Tangrowth, use Poison Jab!” Erika cried.

“Again?” Derak blinked. “Wait, I’ve got an idea! Brute, grab the arm!”

Brute nodded with a smirk, realizing where Derak’s plan was going. Now that the sunlight had finally faded, Tangrowth was moving with reduced speed. Despite this, the monster’s arm still lurched forward quite quickly, aiming straight for Brute’s chest. The Superpower Pokemon, however, simply side-stepped the attack and grabbed hold of Tangrowth’s arm.

“What?!” Erika gasped. Nando merely smiled.

“Okay, let’s take that freakish ball of death for a ride!” Derak cried. “Use Vital Throw!”

Brute dug its heel into the ground and pulled on the arm, yanking Tangrowth towards it. Although the latter Pokemon was almost three times the Machop’s size, it was nonetheless thrown into the air by Brute’s immense strength.

“Oh, no!” Erika cried. “Tangrowth, quick, try and counter with Body Slam!”

“Now we’ve got it,” Derak smirked. “Brute, use Poison Jab!”

Tangrowth plummeted down towards Brute, who dropped the shaggy beast’s arm and allowed it to be retracted. The Machop, however, prepared its own Poison Jab, drawing back one fist. Just as Tangrowth came down upon it, Brute thrust its fist into Tangrowth’s stomach, the damage furthered by the momentum that the Grass-type had gathered from its fall.

“Tangrowth, no!” Erika cried.

“Marvelous,” Nando smiled. “What a brilliantly-played move.”

“Tang…gaaaanng,” Tangrowth groaned as it fell off of Brute’s fist, landing just beside the Superpower Pokemon. The Machop smirked, giving its trainer the thumbs-up sign. Derak heaved a sigh of relief as he slumped into a sitting position, but nonetheless managed to return Brute’s gesture.

“Tangrowth, return,” Erika sighed. “Well, Derak…I’m impressed. You really turned your situation around.”

She approached Derak and handed him a colorful flower-shaped badge.

“This is the Rainbow Badge,” Erika said. “You’ve earned it.”

“Finally,” Derak sighed, placing his fourth badge in his badge case. “C’mon, Brute, let’s go get you and others healed.”

“Chop,” Brute nodded, massaging its arm. Although the average Machop could lift multiple Geodudes, a Tangrowth was nonetheless quite heavy.

Back in the Pokemon Center, Garth sat lazily at a table, drinking a strange glittering water out of his canteen. The sound of metal slamming upon the table caught his attention, and the cloaked man found Derak forcefully presenting his open badge case. Nando and Teresa stood behind the boy, the former smiling as always.

“Finally got that freaking fourth badge,” Derak sighed. “Now we can get out of here.”

“It is about time,” Garth grunted as he stowed his canteen back inside his cloak.

“Before you go,” Nando interjected, “let me say that it has been an immense pleasure to train with you. I am honored to be a part of your victory at the Celadon Gym.”

“Excuse me, but did you say that one of you won at the Gym?” the local Nurse Joy asked.

“Yeah, that’d be me,” Derak said. “What about it?”

“Please, we need you to help us,” Nurse Joy begged.

“Ugh, what do you want?” Garth groaned. “We have places to be.”

“I’m sorry, but I don’t know where else to turn,” Nurse Joy said. “I can’t call the police because this isn’t really a crime, but…”

“Huh?” Derak blinked. “What are you talking about?”

“Well…there’s this old mansion in Celadon that’s been around since the city was first founded,” Nurse Joy explained. “Lately, there have been strange noises coming out of there. We need a strong trainer to investigate.”

“Why are you asking ME?” Derak asked. “Don’t they have TV shows about this kind of thing? Or maybe actual authorities?”

“There may be Pokemon that need help in there!” Nurse Joy pleaded. “You have to do this, I’m begging you!”

“Ugh,” Derak sighed. “Fine, I’ll do it, but it’s for the Pokemon’s sake. Can we get some rest, first, though? It’s been a long couple of days.”

“Indeed it has,” Nando nodded. “Tomorrow would be the ideal time for you to investigate this Celadon Mansion, as well as for me to challenge the Gym Leader myself. I can only hope that my efforts will be as successful as yours.”

A distance outside the Pokemon Center was a decrepit old manor, complete with rotting wood and broken windows. Although quite large, the mansion’s size only added to its repulsive nature. Just one look could tell that no one had lived in this mansion for years.

Despite this fact, lights flashed from within the mansion. The front door slowly creaked open, allowing an eerie sound to escape.

“Eeeeeee…eeeeeeeeee…”

Rotomknight

THE GREATEST TRAINER
Let's hear more of Nobunga!
Clever Vital Jab combo!
But I need to see what will Derak's father say to that? NOBUNGA IS ALIVE!

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Chapter 17: Celadon Gym

The day after his training with Nando, Derak entered the greenhouse-like Celadon Gym alongside both Teresa and the bard himself. Inside was a sight that seemed rather out-of-place in a city as industrious as Celadon: a large assortment of various types of plant life, arranged in such a way that they surrounded a large battlefield.

Hmm, interesting. I kind of think that Celadon would have more flowers than the usual city.

“This certainly is a unique Gym,” Nando remarked. “I look forward to battling here myself.”

“Don’t get too cozy,” Derak advised. “The Gym Leader bans people if they don’t like perfume. Seriously.”

“Well…I suppose we all have our priorities,” Nando commented, although he did seem slightly taken aback by this revelation.

Somehow I'd think Nando would be right at home in such a place.

Some of the denser plants over at the opposing end of the field began to rustle, and a young woman emerged from within. Despite having passed through dense plant life without aid from any sort of tool, her yellow-and-red kimono appeared spotless, as did her neck-length dark hair.

Ooh, lovely description of Erika.

“Oh, hello again, Derak,” said the young woman. “Have you been doing training with your friends there?”

“Pretty much,” Derak shrugged, remembering some of the last-minute tips Nando had given him. “It was…Erika, right? Can we just get on with this?”

“Sure,” Erika nodded. “Let’s get started.”

All the present humans took their respective places. Derak stood at one end of the battlefield, Erika at the other. Nando and Teresa found a bench on the sidelines, and an apron-wearing girl on the side edge of the arena held up two flags to indicate her status as the referee.

“This will be a three-on-three Pokemon battle!” the referee declared. “Each trainer will use three Pokemon, and the battle will be over when all three—”

“Okay, can we skip this intro stuff?” Derak interrupted. “I mean, we’ve already heard it for the last battle, and I don’t think Gym rules get changed every five minutes, so what’s the point of listening to it again?”

Now, see, this might be one reason why I'm not totally comfortable with Gym matches taking place offscreen. Sure, Derak knows all of this already, but the reader does not.

“Bellossom,” the Dex reported, “the Flower Pokemon. Type is Grass. Evolved form of Gloom. When the heavy rain season ends, it is drawn out by warm sunlight to dance in the open. A Gloom will only evolve into a Bellossom if it is exposed to a Sun Stone.”

“Somehow, I can already guess what this thing’s going to hit me with,” Derak sighed, remembering his battle with Nando’s Lilligant the previous day. “Echo, let’s go!”

“Zubat versus Bellossom!” the referee declared once Echo appeared on the field. “Begin the--!”

“All right, now you’re just treating us all like idiots,” Derak interrupted again. “We DO have working eyes, you know.”

Nice lampshading.

On a serious note, I'm not sure how much faith I have in Derak's chances. He did train with Nando, but that doesn't change the fact that he's still using a Zubat.

“He’s…er…a bit, uh…mean…isn’t he?” Teresa said slowly.

“Perhaps,” Nando chuckled, “but that is simply who he is. There are many sorts of people in our world, just as there are many sorts of Pokemon.”

“Oh…I see,” Teresa nodded slightly, turning her gaze back to the battle. Erika’s Bellossom gracefully danced aside to evade a sequence of Sludge Bombs from Derak’s Zubat, much to the former’s pleasure.

I like how these two interact. Hopefully we see more of them.

“Let’s start our counter-attack!” Erika cried. “Use Sunny Day!”

Of course, Derak thought bitterly.

Just as he had predicted, Bellossom’s tiny arms did indeed charge with orange energy, which coursed through the strange stone that it held. The Grass-type lifted the stone into the air, allowing its Sunny Day to pass through and burst into the sky, much like the Sunny Day that Nando’s Lilligant had used.

I agree with Derak here, it was clear that Sunny Day would be critical again.

“Okay, Echo, go in for Zen Headbutt!” Derak cried.

Echo’s pointy ears shone with a blue light as they began to emit a series of blue energy waves, somehow using the waves to form a protective wall in front of its head. The Zubat then charged directly towards Bellossom, aiming to strike it literally head-first, only for the Grass-type to suddenly vanish in a blur of green.

“Ugh, there’s Chlorophyll again,” Derak sighed bitterly. “Echo, go up in the air and send out a few more Sludge Bombs!”

“Oh, no, you don’t!” Erika yelled. “Bellossom, stop it with Teeter Dance!”

Erika strikes me here as a lot more excitable than she usually is depicted as.

The Flower Pokemon reappeared in another blur of movement, this time standing in the center of the battlefield. Echo took to the skies, attempting to find an angle from which a Sludge Bomb would deal maximum damage. Before the Poison-type could fire, however, Bellossom began to rhythmically sashay from side to side in a manner truly befitting of a hula girl. Although it lacked any visible means of actually seeing Bellossom perform this dance, some mysterious quality to the attack completely fouled Echo’s innate sonar, causing it to fall to the ground in a befuddled heap.

“Echo!” Derak cried as his Zubat lied on the ground, attempting to dance along with Bellossom using only its wings. “Uh…what are you doing?”

“Derak, be careful,” Nando advised. “Teeter Dance can inflict confusion upon opposing Pokemon, which appears to have happened to your Zubat.”

“How is that even possible? Echo doesn’t have any eyes!” Derak complained. “Ugh, nothing we can do about that…Echo, return.”

I notice that the animation for Teeter Dance in the games shows musical notes, so I suspect there might be a musical element to its effect as well. In that case, Echo would only need ears to be affected.

“Switching out already?” Erika asked as Derak recalled his Zubat. “You’re not actually giving up, are you?”

I'm not sure how I feel about this depiction of Erika. She's really hot-blooded, a lot moreso than usual.

“I didn’t give up after a giant vine monster destroyed my team,” Derak said. “Pretty sure a dancing plant-girl isn’t that threatening. Okay, since Sunny Day is supposed to juice up Fire-types, too…Wildfire, let’s go!”

Upon materialization, Derak’s Chimchar eyed the Bellossom viciously. It knew that it was chosen to fight in this battle again for some reason. It knew that it absolutely had to redeem itself for its earlier failure, or else the worst could happen.

The first line was funny, but the second made me kind of concerned. I guess Wildfire is still having some issues?

“All right, Bellossom, use Sludge Bomb!” Erika cried.

“Dodge and use Ember!” Derak cried.

Bellossom mimicked Echo by spitting out a wad of slime, which Wildfire agilely leapt over. The Chimchar landed with a quick somersault, releasing a storm of small fireballs that burned more intensely once exposed to Bellossom’s Sunny Day. Consequently, Bellossom was knocked onto its back by the Ember’s increased power, whereas before it would have only cringed.

“Bellossom, no!” Erika cried. “This is a bit of a gamble, but we’ll have to try and hit that Chimchar as hard as we can. Use Solarbeam, quick!”

“Wildfire, block it with Protect!” Derak cried.

Bellossom’s petals began to glow brightly as energy from the sunlight began to flood into them. Again repeating the patterns demonstrated by Nando’s Lilligant, the Flower Pokemon unleashed an enormous beam of light into the air. Just as the beam curved down, however, Wildfire put its Protect in place, allowing it to harmlessly disperse the Solarbeam.

Good thinking to deal with the faster-firing Solarbeams.

“Use Solarbeam one more time!” Erika cried.

But Erika's got a way right around that.

“Use Pro…wait, we can’t use Protect, can we?” Derak muttered. As he struggled to come up with a new command, however, Bellossom’s Solarbeam was already in the air. “Aw, crud! Wildfire, just…I don’t know, do something! Something that works!”

The beam bore down on Wildfire, but the Chimchar barely noticed. Its steely gaze was transfixed on Bellossom, knowing that its trainer caused Wildfire’s own trainer to lose. And it was all Wildfire’s fault. It had to redeem itself…it had to!

The Solarbeam found its mark, the fire monkey completely obscured by the blinding light. Derak and Teresa shielded their eyes, but all Nando had to do was simply lower his hat. Only Erika saw a wheel of fire burst from the light and collide with Bellossom, hitting the Grass-type with such force that it was unconscious by her feet in moments.

“…what? What happened?” Derak blinked, finding the flaming wheel still burning but spinning in place, its target having already been recalled. The flames soon dissipated, revealing Wildfire within. “Wildfire…? You’re okay!”

“I think it’s more than okay,” Erika corrected. “Your Chimchar has just learned how to use Flame Wheel.”

I liked that. It didn't feel forced and it gave us a glimpse into Wildfire's mindset.

“That’s what it’s called?” Derak remarked. “Well, it fits, I suppose.”

“Don’t celebrate too soon,” Erika warned, another Pokeball in hand. “Now it’s time for my second Pokemon!”

Her next choice was a rather odd-looking creature, resembling a deflated yellow balloon with a pair of large leafs at its base and a third leaf covering its circular pink mouth. Two unpleasant-looking eyes gazed out from underneath a pair of sharp fangs, and a long brown vine hung behind the Pokemon. The fact that its cry sounded like a human woman’s scream only added to its unusual nature.

“Victreebel,” Derak’s Pokedex reported, “the Flycatcher Pokemon. Type is Grass and Poison. Evolved form of Weepinbell. It pools in its mouth a fluid with a honey-like scent, which is really an acid that can dissolve anything.”

“…wonderful,” Derak sighed. “Note to self: keep away from anything that smells like honey.”

Oh neat, Victreebel. There's something that you don't see often.

Great line from Derak, too.

“Normally, yes,” Erika replied. “But not this time. Bellossom was holding a Heat Rock, which lengthens the amount of time Sunny Day is in effect.”

I appreciate that you used this mechanic, but I really think it would have helped to actually show Bellossom holding an item at some point instead of simply telling us it was.

“Brilliant,” Derak sighed. “Guess we’ll have to roll with it. Echo, use Supersonic!”

Echo began to screech incessantly, releasing a series of sound waves that bombarded Victreebel’s hearing. The balloon-like plant began to wobble dizzily, its trainer grimacing as she realized that Echo had returned the favor from Bellossom’s earlier Teeter Dance.

“Oh, no!” Erika gasped. “Victreebel, try and pull through with Vine Whip!”

The Flycatcher Pokemon’s long brown vine lashed out angrily but, due to the Grass-type’s confused state, only struck the ground a few feet away from Echo. The vine soon came back to its owner with some force, slapping the space between Victreebel’s eyes. Noticing an opportunity, Echo looked over to Derak and let out a small screech as it used one of its needle-like legs to gesture to its opponent.

“You want to attack, huh?” Derak asked, to which Echo nodded. “I guess we’ve got the upper hand, so go ahead and use Zen Headbutt!”

Echo complied by charging once again, this time slamming its glowing head into Victreebel’s stomach. The Grass-type’s eyes bulged as the force of the impact became apparent, sending the Flycatcher Pokemon tumbling across the dirt with a large bruise on its front. Victreebel shoved its vine against the ground, struggling to push itself up. Noticing this, Echo prepared a Sludge Bomb that would finish off its balloon-shaped foe.

“Hold on a second, Echo!” Derak called. “Let’s give Victreebel a chance to get up first.”

That was rather unexpected, and quite pleasant too. Good to see another angle of him come out.

Echo made an inquisitive screech, but nonetheless obeyed. As Victreebel slowly rose, Nando smiled widely.

“Do you see, Teresa?” he said. “Even if some people may seem unpleasant, beneath that may be something more.”

“I…I see,” Teresa nodded.

“I must say, you are certainly an excellent learner,” Nando said with a reassuring smile. “It honors me to be the guide for your journey. Now, let us observe the rest of Derak’s battle. It is sure to be most excellent.”

Nando’s vision returned to the battlefield, but Teresa’s mind was on other subjects. She knew someone who was utterly vicious in his temperament, and Derak’s rudeness occasionally reminded her of troubling circumstances she faced while in proximity to that person. But now, knowing that Derak was not so poor of character…what did that say about the bully she once knew?

More great interaction, but Teresa's comments really are intriguing to me. I wonder what's up with them.

“I have to give you credit. You’re really sporting,” Erika remarked.

“Nah,” Derak shrugged. “I just don’t like beating my opponents senseless.”

“Well…whatever the case, let’s continue!” Erika cried. “Victreebel, use Vine Whip!”

Victreebel prepared to lash its vine forward once more, but its eyes suddenly squeezed shut as feminine whimpers came from its circular mouth. Echo allowed itself a small smile, realizing that the bruise its Zen Headbutt had inflicted was causing Victreebel to flinch, rendering the Grass-type unable to attack. The Zubat looked back at its trainer, gesturing to the flinching Victreebel.

“Well, now that it’s up, I guess we can start our attack again,” Derak shrugged. “Finish this with Sludge Bomb!”

Echo finally fired its Sludge Bomb, and—despite its lack of eyes—was able to aim for the bruise on Victreebel’s stomach. The effectiveness of the blow was greatly increased by this decision, causing the Flycatcher Pokemon to fall in defeat.

Well, that worked out well. Good thinking and good luck on his part.

“Victreebel, return,” Erika said. “You did very well…and so have you, Derak. You have yet to lose a single Pokemon in this rematch, yet I’ve lost two out of three.”

“I’ve been playing it safe for now,” Derak said grimly. “I know what’s coming next.”

“I’m sure you do,” Erika smirked. “Tangrowth, come on out!”

There it was.

The huge, shaggy beast that had destroyed Derak in his previous encounter with it. Covered head-to-toe in dark blue vines, the only distinguishable features of this monstrosity were two cartoonish eyes near the top of its body. Two slender, red-tipped blue arms emerged from the beast’s sides, stretching down to its stubby black legs.

“Tang-gang!” Tangrowth chattered, whipping the ground with one arm.

Derak snarled at the memory of this horrendous beast. It had evolved from a Tanglea—a smaller ball of blue vines—and obliterated his entire team. Now, it was time to settle the score.

I should mention that I feel pretty fired up right here for this fight.

“Okay…here we go,” Derak growled. “Ready to keep going, Echo?”

The Zubat nodded eagerly. It, too, desired a chance for revenge.

Nice touch keeping a piece of Echo's personality intact.

“All right, let’s start off with Double Team!” Derak cried.

“Tangrowth, use Power Whip!” Erika cried.

Echo produced a plethora of illusory Zubats, hiding itself among them. Tangrowth, howver, appeared unconcerned as one of its arms began to glow green. The shaggy beast swung the glowing arm in a wide arc, cutting through all the Echo copies and knocking the real one to the ground.

“Now, follow up with Ancientpower!” Erika cried.

“Not this time!” Derak cried. “Echo, quick, fly up and use Sludge Bomb!”

Echo pushed itself off of the ground and sailed into the air, releasing a Sludge Bomb that barreled directly towards Tangrowth. The Sludge Bomb’s target, however, became surrounded with an aura of silvery energy that swirled into a ball that Tangrowth held between the tips of its arms. It flung the ball towards the Sludge Bomb, and the two attacks collided in an explosion of smoke and slime.

“Tangrowth, Brick Break!”

Derak had no idea where Tangrowth was, seeing as the smoke generated by the explosion had clouded the entire battlefield. Echo was screeching desperately, trying to use its echolocation to find its monstrous foe. Unfortunately, one large vine-like arm suddenly slammed down on Echo’s back, sending the Poison-type into the dirt. The smoke soon cleared, revealing that Tangrowth had performed something of a karate chop on Echo’s body.

“Aw, great,” Derak grimaced. “Echo, return…well, this is going to go badly.”

Hmm. I kind of think Echo should have had a little more before going down, but really, it's your call. Tangrowth got some good action in here.

“Derak, please, do not give up just yet,” Nando called. “Two Pokemon remain on your side. Is there a way that you can turn this around?”

“Hmm…well, the Sunny Day looks like it’s still going,” Derak said, observing that Bellossom’s attack still had yet to fade away. “Might as well try and make it count while it can. Wildfire, let’s go!”

Upon seeing Erika’s Tangrowth, Wildfire grimaced as well. This monster had utterly decimated the fire monkey before. Perhaps, now that it knew Flame Wheel, it could turn things around?

I hope so. Wildfire sure could use the encouragement.

“It’s our turn, now!” Erika cried. “Tangrowth, use Poison Jab!”

“I know how that works, so…Wildfire, use Flame Wheel along Tangrowth’s arm!” Derak cried.

The tips of Tangrowth’s arm began to glow purple, and with a sudden burst of speed that was likely provided by yet another instance of Chlorophyll, Tangrowth’s arm shot forward. Wildfire, however, managed to time its jump in such a way that the Poison Jab would thrust into the ground, allowing the Chimchar to execute its newly-learned Flame Wheel. As Derak had instructed, Wildfire rode its Flame Wheel along Tangrowth’s arm, quickly slamming into Tangrowth’s main body and knocking it back slightly.

“Now, follow up with Ember!” Derak cried.

Wildfire obeyed, but Tangrowth merely used its other arm to block the ensuing storm of tiny fireballs. Tangrowth then brought its arm downward in another Brick Break attempt, only for Wildfire to shield itself with a Protect. Rather than retract its arm, however, Tangrowth instead dug its extended arm into the ground behind Wildfire’s Protect.

“Now, Tangrowth!” Erika cried. “Use Body Slam!”

“Oh, crud!” Derak sputtered. “Wildfire, get out of the way!”

Using its anchored arm as leverage, Tangrowth pulled itself towards Wildfire with alarming speed. The sight of a massive vine-covered beast hurdling towards it caused the Chimchar to panic, its feet frozen to the spot. Tangrowth collided full-force with Wildfire’s body, pressing the small Fire-type into the ground.

Now that was some great action. Very fluid and exciting.

The Machop appeared with its arms crossed, its eyes narrowing at the sight of Tangrowth. It knew what it had to do, and regardless of how difficult it would be, that task would be compmlete.

Minor mistake: "complete" is misspelled.

“Tangrowth, use Poison Jab!” Erika cried.

“Again?” Derak blinked. “Wait, I’ve got an idea! Brute, grab the arm!”

Brute nodded with a smirk, realizing where Derak’s plan was going. Now that the sunlight had finally faded, Tangrowth was moving with reduced speed. Despite this, the monster’s arm still lurched forward quite quickly, aiming straight for Brute’s chest. The Superpower Pokemon, however, simply side-stepped the attack and grabbed hold of Tangrowth’s arm.

“What?!” Erika gasped. Nando merely smiled.

“Okay, let’s take that freakish ball of death for a ride!” Derak cried. “Use Vital Throw!”

Brute dug its heel into the ground and pulled on the arm, yanking Tangrowth towards it. Although the latter Pokemon was almost three times the Machop’s size, it was nonetheless thrown into the air by Brute’s immense strength.

“Oh, no!” Erika cried. “Tangrowth, quick, try and counter with Body Slam!”

“Now we’ve got it,” Derak smirked. “Brute, use Poison Jab!”

Tangrowth plummeted down towards Brute, who dropped the shaggy beast’s arm and allowed it to be retracted. The Machop, however, prepared its own Poison Jab, drawing back one fist. Just as Tangrowth came down upon it, Brute thrust its fist into Tangrowth’s stomach, the damage furthered by the momentum that the Grass-type had gathered from its fall.

“Tangrowth, no!” Erika cried.

“Marvelous,” Nando smiled. “What a brilliantly-played move.”

I certainly have to agree, that move was impressive.

“Tang…gaaaanng,” Tangrowth groaned as it fell off of Brute’s fist, landing just beside the Superpower Pokemon. The Machop smirked, giving its trainer the thumbs-up sign. Derak heaved a sigh of relief as he slumped into a sitting position, but nonetheless managed to return Brute’s gesture.

“Tangrowth, return,” Erika sighed. “Well, Derak…I’m impressed. You really turned your situation around.”

She approached Derak and handed him a colorful flower-shaped badge.

“This is the Rainbow Badge,” Erika said. “You’ve earned it.”

“Finally,” Derak sighed, placing his fourth badge in his badge case. “C’mon, Brute, let’s go get you and others healed.”

Two minor complaints here. One, I feel like Tangrowth went down a little fast, and two, I think you could have described him receiving the badge in more detail.

Back in the Pokemon Center, Garth sat lazily at a table, drinking a strange glittering water out of his canteen. The sound of metal slamming upon the table caught his attention, and the cloaked man found Derak forcefully presenting his open badge case. Nando and Teresa stood behind the boy, the former smiling as always.

“Finally got that freaking fourth badge,” Derak sighed. “Now we can get out of here.”

“It is about time,” Garth grunted as he stowed his canteen back inside his cloak.

“Before you go,” Nando interjected, “let me say that it has been an immense pleasure to train with you. I am honored to be a part of your victory at the Celadon Gym.”

Always so pleasant, Nando.

“Excuse me, but did you say that one of you won at the Gym?” the local Nurse Joy asked.

“Yeah, that’d be me,” Derak said. “What about it?”

“Please, we need you to help us,” Nurse Joy begged.

“Ugh, what do you want?” Garth groaned. “We have places to be.”

“I’m sorry, but I don’t know where else to turn,” Nurse Joy said. “I can’t call the police because this isn’t really a crime, but…”

“Huh?” Derak blinked. “What are you talking about?”

“Well…there’s this old mansion in Celadon that’s been around since the city was first founded,” Nurse Joy explained. “Lately, there have been strange noises coming out of there. We need a strong trainer to investigate.”

This is... random. I'm not really sure where this is going to go.

“Why are you asking ME?” Derak asked. “Don’t they have TV shows about this kind of thing? Or maybe actual authorities?”

“There may be Pokemon that need help in there!” Nurse Joy pleaded. “You have to do this, I’m begging you!”

“Ugh,” Derak sighed. “Fine, I’ll do it, but it’s for the Pokemon’s sake. Can we get some rest, first, though? It’s been a long couple of days.”

I can't blame him for reacting in such a way.

“Indeed it has,” Nando nodded. “Tomorrow would be the ideal time for you to investigate this Celadon Mansion, as well as for me to challenge the Gym Leader myself. I can only hope that my efforts will be as successful as yours.”

A distance outside the Pokemon Center was a decrepit old manor, complete with rotting wood and broken windows. Although quite large, the mansion’s size only added to its repulsive nature. Just one look could tell that no one had lived in this mansion for years.

Despite this fact, lights flashed from within the mansion. The front door slowly creaked open, allowing an eerie sound to escape.

“Eeeeeee…eeeeeeeeee…”

Oh boy, here we go.

This chapter was pretty good. The battle mainly carried it, as it contained a decent amount of action and was written well. I do think that Erika's characterization had a couple of problems, though.

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
A week late... I HATE the Internet not working on my laptop! >.<

Sit tight, I'll be done with this in a jiffy!

You know, until now, I never knew Zubat can learn Zen Headbutt without seeing a move tutor. Must of had a Noctowl for a daddy (weirdest family tree ever. :p )

The battle, however, was pretty well done, and I'm pleasantly surprised Derak pulled off a victory. Guess Luck is an important attribute of a trainer. And now the Celadon Mansion... wonder what could be inside... Good use of "being in the right place and time" with solid enough reasons to get Derak to go in after it. Very nicely explained and I enjoyed the lad's counterarguments failing one by one.

Well, it's almost midnight here (good grief!) Atleast this won't need to be done tomorrow! Nice chapter!

L@er!

Last edited:

Morpher01

Bewear my power
Rotomknight: You will find out next chapter. That's all I can say.

The Great Butler:
Now, see, this might be one reason why I'm not totally comfortable with Gym matches taking place offscreen. Sure, Derak knows all of this already, but the reader does not.

True. I probably did drop the ball there.

Erika strikes me here as a lot more excitable than she usually is depicted as.

Ehhh...honestly, I took a few liberties with Erika. I could tell that she definitely has a more aggressive side, as seen in the anime when she bans challengers from her Gym if they insult her perfume. I probably did focus too much on that aspect, however.

The first line was funny, but the second made me kind of concerned. I guess Wildfire is still having some issues?

Yep. He's going to be having those issues for a loooooonnnnnnnng time.

I appreciate that you used this mechanic, but I really think it would have helped to actually show Bellossom holding an item at some point instead of simply telling us it was.

I'm pretty sure I described the Heat Rock in Bellossom's hands when it first appeared, although I may be misinterpreting your meaning.

Minor mistake: "complete" is misspelled.

........and I somehow completely missed that mistake. XD

Two minor complaints here. One, I feel like Tangrowth went down a little fast, and two, I think you could have described him receiving the badge in more detail.

You're probably right on both counts.

This is... random. I'm not really sure where this is going to go.

I can tell you this: remember my comment regarding how Olivia was attacked by the Bisharp and Pawniard in Angel of Reckoning? That's going to come into play soon. XD I think you'll find what happens to be...most interesting.

Air Dragon:
You know, until now, I never knew Zubat can learn Zen Headbutt without seeing a move tutor. Must of had a Noctowl for a daddy (weirdest family tree ever. :p )

Move-wise, I tend to follow the anime's rules of how even move tutor/breeding moves can be used by wild Pokemon (Dawn's Buneary knowing Ice Beam, Pikachu learning Volt Tackle, etc.). But, yeah...that would be an interesting family tree. XD

The battle, however, was pretty well done, and I'm pleasantly surprised Derak pulled off a victory. Guess Luck is an important attribute of a trainer. And now the Celadon Mansion... wonder what could be inside... Good use of "being in the right place and time" with solid enough reasons to get Derak to go in after it. Very nicely explained and I enjoyed the lad's counterarguments failing one by one.

Glad you enjoyed it. I was a bit worried that the reasons to enter Celadon Mansion would require too much suspension of disbelief.

Chapter 18 will be up soon. I've been adding a couple of things here and there, and I think it's going to be quite interesting to read. XD Heh heh...

Morpher01

Bewear my power
Okay, the next chapter is here.

Chapter 18: Celadon Mansion

The day after Derak’s victory at the Celadon Gym, he stood outside the decaying Celadon Mansion. He still had no idea why the local Nurse Joy would trust the investigation of this building to a random trainer rather than the proper authorities, but he was nonetheless aware that a Pokemon could be injured inside. The police, he believed, would only worsen the situation.

As he prepared to approach the front door, a light gust passed across one of the higher windows. One of the shudders dropped off, its hinges having all but disintegrated by this point. The fallen shudder landed with a loud crack in front of Derak’s feet, splitting in two.

“Wow, can’t see why this place would be abandoned,” Derak sighed. “I’m starting to see why Garth didn’t want to tag along.”

He stepped over the broken shudder and carefully ascended the stairs, his every step producing a loud groan from the wood beneath him. He took the knob in hand, but upon attempting to turn it found that the door was already ajar. Derak gently pushed the door open and was greeted with nothing but darkness.

“I swear, if some guy jumps out of the bushes with a camera and tells me I’m on one of those pranking shows…ugh,” Derak muttered as he poked his head inside. “Hello? Anyone home?”

Silence.

“Okay…I’m going to walk inside, now,” Derak said. “If that’s not okay with you, then just let me know.”

He took one step forward, but before he could take another, the floor suddenly gave way. Derak’s weight on the brittle floor caused him to drop into the basement, landing directly on his rear end.

“…ouch,” Derak groaned as he got up. “Yeah, Garth was definitely the smart one this time.”

“Eeeeeeee…eeeeeeeee,” moaned a faint, high-pitched voice.

“Uh…hello?” Derak blinked. “Is someone there?”

“EEEEE!” the voice cried, and a blast of chilled—yet somehow purple—air suddenly threw Derak onto his back.

“I’ll…take that as a yes,” Derak grunted as he got up, rubbing his backside. “Okay, look, you’re clearly a Pokemon. But, here’s the thing, you didn’t really have to do that. I’m not gonna hurt you.”

“Eeeee?” the mysterious voice moaned again, this time making a clear vocal response.

“I’m telling you the truth, honest,” Derak said, taking a few steps forward. “Look, I’m not sending out a Pokemon or anything…actually, now that I think about it, you might not be able to really ‘see’ me since it's kinda dark in here, but…you get the point, right?”

“Eeeeee,” the voice moaned again.

“Okay, I’ve got an idea,” Derak said. “I can’t really see too well in here, but if you keep making that noise, I might be able to find you. Okay?”

“Eeeee…eeeee…eeeeee,” the voice replied with an affirmative tone.

Derak followed the voice, occasionally stopping to try and position himself in such a way that he would continue to accurately approach the voice’s owner. He eventually came upon an area in which a decent amount of light poured in from a small basement window, as well as numerous holes in the ceiling. In the center of the light was a small quadruped Pokemon with dominantly brown fur, aside from its fluffy tan-colored collar. Its long, pointed ears and brush-like tail were drooped with depression, and its dark chocolate eyes were filled with pain and sadness.

“Hey…hey, was that you making all that noise?” Derak said as he kneeled down to the Pokemon’s level. “You’ve got some strong lungs for such a little guy.”

“Eeee,” the Pokemon groaned, favoring an injured leg.

“Hang on,” Derak said as he removed his Pokedex. “Let me see what you are, first. Might actually help for once.”

“Eevee,” the Dex reported, “the Evolution Pokemon. Type is Normal. Eevee has an unstable genetic makeup that allows it to evolve into a multitude of forms. Thus far, seven evolutions of Eevee have been discovered.”

“…once again, the Pokedex doesn’t really help that much,” Derak sighed. “Well, at least I know that you’re an Eevee.”

“Veee?” the Eevee moaned, looking up at Derak.

“Okay, so, how did that leg injury get there?” the boy asked.

Eevee gestured to the window, which appeared to have been opened at one point.

“Did you…fall in through there?” Derak asked. “Wait, you weren’t abandoned by a trainer, were you?”

Shockingly, Eevee nodded. Derak let out a long, irritated sigh.

“Why are people so unbelievably stupid?” he groaned. “I don’t see anything wrong with you, myself.”

“Vee?” Eevee squeaked inquisitively.

“Yeah, you’re just fine aside from that leg problem,” Derak said. “Hang on, I’ve got someone I’d like you to meet.”

He opened a single Pokeball, and Brute appeared in a flash of light. Eevee cringed, but once Brute simply sat down in a non-threatening posture, the Normal-type relaxed.

“Okay, so here’s the deal,” Derak said. “This is Brute. I found him outside Pewter City…where his last trainer abandoned him.”

“Eeev?” Eevee looked at Brute.

“Chop,” the Superpower Pokemon nodded sadly.

“He wasn’t feeling so emotionally great, either,” Derak said. “He kinda started taking it out on the local wild Pokemon…which is kinda how he got his name, actually. But, listen, Brute’s gotten a whole new chance at life since I took him in. You can have the same thing, if you want.”

Before Eevee could respond, a Pokeball sailed in from out of nowhere and rammed into the Evolution Pokemon’s head, absorbing the small furry creature inside. The ball shook three times and clicked, signaling a successful capture.

“What?!” Derak sputtered. “Are you kidding?!”

“Ah, I’m afraid I must apologize,” said a familiar voice that made Derak’s skin crawl in anger. Sure enough, Elliot Trey stepped into the light and picked up the Pokeball that now contained Eevee. “I realize that you were bonding with that Eevee, but you see, it is quite a rare Pokemon, and Jason simply couldn’t wait.”

“Maaaaach,” Brute growled.

“Pleasure to see you again, Machop,” Elliot smirked. “So, Derak, I assume you are here to investigate the mysterious happenings at this less-than-pleasurable establishment?”

“I don’t see how it’s any of YOUR business,” Derak spat as he got up. “I’m betting you’re just going to abandon Eevee once you get ‘bored’ with it, like you did Brute.”

“I may have multiple personalities, but I’m no fool,” Elliot said, observing his new Eevee’s Pokeball. “It is virtually impossible to find another Eevee so readily, so why waste such a chance?”

“Didn’t stop you from abandoning him,” Derak growled, gesturing to Brute.

“To be honest, that Machop was simply a temporary means to an end,” Elliot sighed. “It failed to fit in with my long-term plans, so I released it once it was no longer useful to me.”

“And that’s how you justify abandoning Brute?!” Derak snarled. “What are your precious ‘plans’, anyway?”

“If I simply told you, that would spoil all the fun,” Elliot replied, a sinister grin spreading across his face. “Just remember that, once I gain a sufficient level of strength, the world will be in for quite a rude awakening.”

“You want strength?” Derak growled. “How about we take this outside, and settle—”

Another blast of chilled air whipped through the room, causing all present to fall to the ground. Elliot quickly clipped Eevee’s Pokeball onto his belt as he got up, Derak and Brute following suit.

“Aw, again…?” Derak groaned. “Hang on, if you captured Eevee…then why is that wind still coming?”

“That wasn’t a normal wind, you idiot!” snarled Elliot’s Jason persona, his entrance cued by another twitch of Elliot’s brown eye. “That was Ominous Wind, a Pokemon attack. Eevee can’t even learn that move, let alone use it.”

“So, if Eevee wasn’t making that wind…then what was?” Derak asked.

As if to answer Derak’s question, a flash of light burst from some of the ceiling holes, accompanied by several sparks showering down from above. A bolt of lightning suddenly smashed through the ceiling, ricocheting off the floor and then several walls in succession. When the lightning finally stopped, the source was revealed: a small red ball-shaped Pokemon with a long spike emerging from the top of its head and a stubby ball protruding from the bottom. Two frozen bolts of lightning seemed to function as the Pokemon’s arms, and a miscievious grin paired with two large blue-and-white eyes served as the Pokemon’s face.

“Ah, so there is our answer,” remarked Elliot, having reverted back from Jason. “A Rotom.”

“A what?” Derak said, looking to his Pokedex.

“Rotom,” the Dex answered, “the Plasma Pokemon. Type is Electric and Ghost. Its electric-like body can enter certain kinds of machines and take control of them in order to make mischief.”

“Rotom!” chirped the Plasma Pokemon in question, bouncing around wildly. “Ro-tom-ro-tom-ro-tom!”

“How intriguing,” Elliot commented, putting a hand to his chin. “Rotom is a rather rare Pokemon, almost as difficult to find as a Legendary Pokemon. And yet this one simply fell into both of our laps.”

“Ro?” Rotom blinked, as if trying to figure out what Elliot meant. Its trickster grin widened, however, upon realization. “Ro-tom-tom!”

The Electric-type suddenly began spinning madly, releasing what was unmistakably another Ominous Wind. As Derak and Elliot now saw the attack coming, however, they were able to remain standing and shield each of their bodies with one arm. Brute was knocked off its feet, but Derak managed to grab hold of the Fighting-type’s arm to keep it from being seriously harmed.

“So you WERE the source of all the trouble,” Elliot grinned, preparing another Pokeball. “Let’s see how well you can battle. Ekans, fight!”

“No way I’m letting someone like you get another Pokemon!” Derak growled. “Brute, looks like it’s time to get in there!”

Elliot’s purple rattlesnake materialized on the scene, coiling up and shaking its rattle-like tail in as intimidating a gesture as possible. Rotom only let out a deranged cackle, seemingly finding Ekans’ snarls amusing. Brute narrowed its eyes, realizing that this match could be quite difficult.

“Try if you like,” Elliot shrugged. “The competition makes it all the more fun. Ekans, use Dark Pulse!”

Ekans reared back its head and spat an erratic stream of shadowy rings, which somehow stayed in a line as they barreled towards Rotom. The Plasma Pokemon easily sprang off a wall, however, allowing the Dark Pulse to slam into the opposite side of the basement.

“Brute, use Vacuum Wave!” Derak cried.

Brute swung its arm forward and did release the windy attack, but Rotom made no effort to dodge. The reason for this soon became apparent: Brute’s Vacuum Wave simply sailed through Rotom, causing the Electric-type no visible harm whatsoever. The Plasma Pokemon countered by putting its two bolt-like appendages together and shooting a blast of blue lightning from them, electrocuting Brute with what appeared to be a Thunderbolt.

“I must say, I do wonder how you even got to the fourth Gym with your lack of knowledge,” Elliot smirked. “Fighting-type attacks have no effect on a Ghost-type like Rotom. Ekans, Dark Pulse once more!”

Ekans again fired a Dark Pulse, but this time Rotom dodged by spontaneously rocketing through the ceiling. A series of loud thumps could soon be heard, each one closer than the last.

Oh, great, Derak thought. What’s that hyperactive psycho up to now?

Rotom soon returned the same way it exited: crashing through the ceiling. This time, however, its form was much larger, and the Plasma Pokemon landed on the floor with a loud bang. Its body now somewhat resembled a refrigerator, and the irises of its eyes—along with its now-blunted bolt-like arms—had turned purple.

“What in the…?” Derak stared. “What happened to Rotom?”

“It appears to have possessed an electrical appliance, using it as a body and changing its abilities significantly,” Elliot observed. “Ekans, we will need to change tactics to suit our foe’s new form. Use Iron Tail!”

Ekans launched itself like a spring, uncoiling itself as it leapt into the air. Its rattle took on a silver sheen, indicating that the Poison-type intended to strike Rotom with its tail. The Electric-type grinned again, however, and opened its two refrigerator doors. A shower of ice and snow somehow erupted from Rotom’s open doors, and due to its positioning, Ekans was completely caught in the frigid assault. The snake soon fell to the ground, eyes wide but body completely encased in ice.

“Raagh, stupid little gremlin!” the Jason persona snarled. “How dare you use Blizzard on my Ekans!”

Well, Ekans is obviously out of the running, Derak thought. Okay…Elliot said that Rotom’s abilities change when it possesses stuff, and he had Ekans use Iron Tail instead of Dark Pulse. Maybe…

He looked down at Brute.

“Ready for another try?” Derak asked. “I know this sounds like a stupid idea, given what happened last time, but…”

“Ma-chop,” Brute nodded.

“Okay, use Vacuum Wave!” Derak ordered.

Brute again wound back one fist and threw forth a small wind tunnel, but this time Rotom’s eyes went wide in horror. With the bulk of its new refrigerator body limiting its movement, Rotom was helpless as the Vacuum Wave threw it to the floor. The refrigerator-bodied Plasma Pokemon began to glow, however, and the true form of Rotom soon emerged.

“Roooh?” Rotom groaned, using one of its bolt-arms to rub its apparently aching head. The Plasma Pokemon looked up and saw Derak and Elliot towering over its own small body.

“Aren’t you done yet?” Derak sighed. “There’s only so much that people can take of your crazy antics, you know.”

“Tom!” Rotom narrowed its eyes and crossed its bolt-arms. “Rooooh-TOM!”

A small ball of electricity formed around Rotom’s arms, and when the Plasma Pokemon quickly uncrossed its arms, the ball was launched forth. Rather than simply strike Derak or Elliot, however, the ball instead split into a large net-like shape. The electric net caught both of the young humans inside it, trapping them on the floor as a cackling Rotom levitated into the air.

With a psychotic grin in place, Rotom put its bolt-arms together and began firing Thunderbolts randomly around the basement. Walls began to fall apart, fragments being blasted out by Rotom’s attacks, and the already-fragile ceiling began to drop pieces. Despite this, Rotom appeared to be even more thrilled, launching Thunderbolts with a renewed vigor every time something fell and made a loud noise.

“Oh, no,” Derak mouthed, eyes going wide. “That crazy Rotom’s going to bring the whole mansion down on our heads!”

“WHAT?!” Jason roared. “Are you kidding?! That’s it, get me the hell out of this Electroweb!”

As the boy with multiple personalities scrambled about in his attempts to break the net, Brute hurried to Derak’s side and quickly tore the Electroweb open. Derak fell out, Jason following suit. Rotom noticed their escape, and in response, redoubled its efforts. The ceiling was now minutes from collapsing thanks to the Plasma Pokemon’s wild Thunderbolts, leaving the trapped trainers with few options.

“We’ve got to get out of here!” Derak cried, jumping as a piece of the ceiling fell beside him. “That Rotom’s going to kill us all!”

“This way!” Elliot cried. “We’ll escape through the window!”

Despite the window’s small size, Elliot was able to push it open, clamber up, and squeeze through. Derak needed a boost from Brute, but was able to make it as well. Once outside, Derak recalled Brute and fled the scene. Rotom stopped firing Thunderbolts for a moment, long enough to realize that its prey had escaped.

And it simply let out another cackle as the Celadon Mansion crumbled around it.

“What…in…the…world?” Derak panted, his body flat on the ground. “That Rotom…just tried…to KILL us!”

“Yes, ‘mischievous’ did seem to be an understatement,” Elliot agreed, his own body in a similar position. He soon got up and dusted himself off. “Well, I’d best be off. If you’ve already won at the Celadon Gym, I suggest you do the same.”

“Why would I want to take YOUR advice?” Derak snarled.

“Because I actually know what I’m talking about?” Elliot smirked. “I have a new Pokemon to train, so I’m afraid I must be going. Until we meet again.”

With that, Elliot left. Derak took a moment to seethe, his hatred for the split-personality boy growing, before he got up.

“Ah, forget this, I’m going back,” Derak said, looking to the fallen wreckage of the Celadon Mansion. “Just need to try and figure out how to explain that.”

That night, after Derak had gone back to the Pokemon Center, some of the mansion’s rubble began to shift. A rigid lightning bolt protruded the wreckage, and an entire body followed soon after. Rotom looked around at the night sky, and let out an excited cackle.

This was going to be fun.

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.

Oh, for goodness sake... Hasn't that thing had ENOUGH?!

Well, Elliot getting the Eevee was quite the startling switcheroo from the norm. (Gah, I HATE that little turd!) Ahem, sorry. Bravo. Nice to see Derak catch on to opponent weaknesses quickly... who said you can't teach him new tricks quickly? :)

So his rival swipes a potential capture and a homicidal Pokemon has him marked. Not the best of days. But he travels around with Garth. So I could be wrong. XD

Nicely done, good sir! Nicely done.

L@er!

Rotomknight

THE GREATEST TRAINER
Maybe Eevee won't obey, and he abandons it and helps it.
Derak better get that rotom!
IT's MY favorite!
And maybe he just wants company, and ghosts hang with oter ghosts.
If ther's an evil rotom, i'd put on a rubber suit and hug it till its good.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Chapter 18: Celadon Mansion

The day after Derak’s victory at the Celadon Gym, he stood outside the decaying Celadon Mansion. He still had no idea why the local Nurse Joy would trust the investigation of this building to a random trainer rather than the proper authorities, but he was nonetheless aware that a Pokemon could be injured inside. The police, he believed, would only worsen the situation.

Oh, how true this observation of the Pokemon world's dysfunctional public services actually is.

As he prepared to approach the front door, a light gust passed across one of the higher windows. One of the shudders dropped off, its hinges having all but disintegrated by this point. The fallen shudder landed with a loud crack in front of Derak’s feet, splitting in two.

I think that should be "shutter," not "shudder." I won't point out any further instances of it, so just consider this point for every time "shudder" gets used in that context.

“Wow, can’t see why this place would be abandoned,” Derak sighed. “I’m starting to see why Garth didn’t want to tag along.”

He stepped over the broken shudder and carefully ascended the stairs, his every step producing a loud groan from the wood beneath him. He took the knob in hand, but upon attempting to turn it found that the door was already ajar. Derak gently pushed the door open and was greeted with nothing but darkness.

“I swear, if some guy jumps out of the bushes with a camera and tells me I’m on one of those pranking shows…ugh,” Derak muttered as he poked his head inside. “Hello? Anyone home?”

You know what? It would have been hysterical if something like that actually ended up happening.

Silence.

“Okay…I’m going to walk inside, now,” Derak said. “If that’s not okay with you, then just let me know.”

He took one step forward, but before he could take another, the floor suddenly gave way. Derak’s weight on the brittle floor caused him to drop into the basement, landing directly on his rear end.

“…ouch,” Derak groaned as he got up. “Yeah, Garth was definitely the smart one this time.”

I think this part could have used just a little more description. It feels like it happened a little bit too fast. Just describe the environment in a bit more detail.

“Eeeeeeee…eeeeeeeee,” moaned a faint, high-pitched voice.

“Uh…hello?” Derak blinked. “Is someone there?”

“EEEEE!” the voice cried, and a blast of chilled—yet somehow purple—air suddenly threw Derak onto his back.

Oh boy, it's here. Time for fun.

“I’ll…take that as a yes,” Derak grunted as he got up, rubbing his backside. “Okay, look, you’re clearly a Pokemon. But, here’s the thing, you didn’t really have to do that. I’m not gonna hurt you.”

“Eeeee?” the mysterious voice moaned again, this time making a clear vocal response.

“I’m telling you the truth, honest,” Derak said, taking a few steps forward. “Look, I’m not sending out a Pokemon or anything…actually, now that I think about it, you might not be able to really ‘see’ me since it's kinda dark in here, but…you get the point, right?”

If it lives in the Mansion, and it's always dark in the Mansion, wouldn't it stand to reason that the Pokemon could see in the dark?

Also, it just hit me that Derak found the Pokemon rather fast, if it was indeed what he was to be looking for. That isn't really that big a deal though.

“Eeeeee,” the voice moaned again.

“Okay, I’ve got an idea,” Derak said. “I can’t really see too well in here, but if you keep making that noise, I might be able to find you. Okay?”

“Eeeee…eeeee…eeeeee,” the voice replied with an affirmative tone.

Derak followed the voice, occasionally stopping to try and position himself in such a way that he would continue to accurately approach the voice’s owner. He eventually came upon an area in which a decent amount of light poured in from a small basement window, as well as numerous holes in the ceiling. In the center of the light was a small quadruped Pokemon with dominantly brown fur, aside from its fluffy tan-colored collar. Its long, pointed ears and brush-like tail were drooped with depression, and its dark chocolate eyes were filled with pain and sadness.

Oh ****, that wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Maybe something else is going on here that made me think incorrectly?

It's fitting that Eevee would appear at Celadon Mansion, though, now that I think about it. Celadon Mansion is where you get it in the Generation 1 and 3 games, so yeah, it works. I'm liking your adaptation of it so far, with the Mansion being run-down.

“Hey…hey, was that you making all that noise?” Derak said as he kneeled down to the Pokemon’s level. “You’ve got some strong lungs for such a little guy.”

“Eeee,” the Pokemon groaned, favoring an injured leg.

“Hang on,” Derak said as he removed his Pokedex. “Let me see what you are, first. Might actually help for once.”

“Eevee,” the Dex reported, “the Evolution Pokemon. Type is Normal. Eevee has an unstable genetic makeup that allows it to evolve into a multitude of forms. Thus far, seven evolutions of Eevee have been discovered.”

“…once again, the Pokedex doesn’t really help that much,” Derak sighed. “Well, at least I know that you’re an Eevee.”

Two things:

One, nice lampshading of how useless the Pokedex entries usually are. Derak's putting into words what a lot of us are thinking.

Two, I'm kind of surprised that Derak doesn't know what an Eevee is, given how common they seem to be among trainers in Orre. Did Enoch shelter him that much?

“Veee?” the Eevee moaned, looking up at Derak.

“Okay, so, how did that leg injury get there?” the boy asked.

Eevee gestured to the window, which appeared to have been opened at one point.

“Did you…fall in through there?” Derak asked. “Wait, you weren’t abandoned by a trainer, were you?”

Shockingly, Eevee nodded. Derak let out a long, irritated sigh.

“Why are people so unbelievably stupid?” he groaned. “I don’t see anything wrong with you, myself.”

I get the feeling that Eevee being abandoned by its trainer is not going to just be a throwaway plot point. It's going to be more important than that.

“Vee?” Eevee squeaked inquisitively.

“Yeah, you’re just fine aside from that leg problem,” Derak said. “Hang on, I’ve got someone I’d like you to meet.”

He opened a single Pokeball, and Brute appeared in a flash of light. Eevee cringed, but once Brute simply sat down in a non-threatening posture, the Normal-type relaxed.

“Okay, so here’s the deal,” Derak said. “This is Brute. I found him outside Pewter City…where his last trainer abandoned him.”

I'm glad that you're taking this approach to dealing with Eevee. It's what came right into my head as soon as you mentioned Eevee being abandoned, that Brute would connect with it.

“Eeev?” Eevee looked at Brute.

“Chop,” the Superpower Pokemon nodded sadly.

“He wasn’t feeling so emotionally great, either,” Derak said. “He kinda started taking it out on the local wild Pokemon…which is kinda how he got his name, actually. But, listen, Brute’s gotten a whole new chance at life since I took him in. You can have the same thing, if you want.”

Before Eevee could respond, a Pokeball sailed in from out of nowhere and rammed into the Evolution Pokemon’s head, absorbing the small furry creature inside. The ball shook three times and clicked, signaling a successful capture.

“What?!” Derak sputtered. “Are you kidding?!”

“Ah, I’m afraid I must apologize,” said a familiar voice that made Derak’s skin crawl in anger. Sure enough, Elliot Trey stepped into the light and picked up the Pokeball that now contained Eevee. “I realize that you were bonding with that Eevee, but you see, it is quite a rare Pokemon, and Jason simply couldn’t wait.”

Oh come ON. Of all the times for this creep to come back, it had to be here and now and in this way?

Of course, I'm sure "creep" is the kind of word you want a reader to be thinking when they look at him, so what you're doing is working.

“Maaaaach,” Brute growled.

“Pleasure to see you again, Machop,” Elliot smirked. “So, Derak, I assume you are here to investigate the mysterious happenings at this less-than-pleasurable establishment?”

“I don’t see how it’s any of YOUR business,” Derak spat as he got up. “I’m betting you’re just going to abandon Eevee once you get ‘bored’ with it, like you did Brute.”

“I may have multiple personalities, but I’m no fool,” Elliot said, observing his new Eevee’s Pokeball. “It is virtually impossible to find another Eevee so readily, so why waste such a chance?”

“Didn’t stop you from abandoning him,” Derak growled, gesturing to Brute.

“To be honest, that Machop was simply a temporary means to an end,” Elliot sighed. “It failed to fit in with my long-term plans, so I released it once it was no longer useful to me.”

“And that’s how you justify abandoning Brute?!” Derak snarled. “What are your precious ‘plans’, anyway?”

“If I simply told you, that would spoil all the fun,” Elliot replied, a sinister grin spreading across his face. “Just remember that, once I gain a sufficient level of strength, the world will be in for quite a rude awakening.”

Oh, of course he's not going to just spill his plans immediately.

I'm really intrigued by what he's saying about the world being in for a "rude awakening," though. My mind naturally wanders into wondering if it is somehow connected to Nobunaga.

“You want strength?” Derak growled. “How about we take this outside, and settle—”

Another blast of chilled air whipped through the room, causing all present to fall to the ground. Elliot quickly clipped Eevee’s Pokeball onto his belt as he got up, Derak and Brute following suit.

“Aw, again…?” Derak groaned. “Hang on, if you captured Eevee…then why is that wind still coming?”

“That wasn’t a normal wind, you idiot!” snarled Elliot’s Jason persona, his entrance cued by another twitch of Elliot’s brown eye. “That was Ominous Wind, a Pokemon attack. Eevee can’t even learn that move, let alone use it.”

“So, if Eevee wasn’t making that wind…then what was?” Derak asked.

As if to answer Derak’s question, a flash of light burst from some of the ceiling holes, accompanied by several sparks showering down from above. A bolt of lightning suddenly smashed through the ceiling, ricocheting off the floor and then several walls in succession. When the lightning finally stopped, the source was revealed: a small red ball-shaped Pokemon with a long spike emerging from the top of its head and a stubby ball protruding from the bottom. Two frozen bolts of lightning seemed to function as the Pokemon’s arms, and a miscievious grin paired with two large blue-and-white eyes served as the Pokemon’s face.

Now that's what I thought was the source of all this in the first place. Eevee was quite the surprise, when I was expecting Rotom all along.

“Ah, so there is our answer,” remarked Elliot, having reverted back from Jason. “A Rotom.”

“A what?” Derak said, looking to his Pokedex.

“Rotom,” the Dex answered, “the Plasma Pokemon. Type is Electric and Ghost. Its electric-like body can enter certain kinds of machines and take control of them in order to make mischief.”

“Rotom!” chirped the Plasma Pokemon in question, bouncing around wildly. “Ro-tom-ro-tom-ro-tom!”

“How intriguing,” Elliot commented, putting a hand to his chin. “Rotom is a rather rare Pokemon, almost as difficult to find as a Legendary Pokemon. And yet this one simply fell into both of our laps.”

“Ro?” Rotom blinked, as if trying to figure out what Elliot meant. Its trickster grin widened, however, upon realization. “Ro-tom-tom!”

The Electric-type suddenly began spinning madly, releasing what was unmistakably another Ominous Wind. As Derak and Elliot now saw the attack coming, however, they were able to remain standing and shield each of their bodies with one arm. Brute was knocked off its feet, but Derak managed to grab hold of the Fighting-type’s arm to keep it from being seriously harmed.

“So you WERE the source of all the trouble,” Elliot grinned, preparing another Pokeball. “Let’s see how well you can battle. Ekans, fight!”

“No way I’m letting someone like you get another Pokemon!” Derak growled. “Brute, looks like it’s time to get in there!”

This is going to become a posturing contest, isn't it?

After Eevee, I hope Derak wins. It would be irritating if Elliot ended up getting both Pokemon in this chapter, not to mention disappointing since they both seem like poor matches for him personality-wise.

Elliot’s purple rattlesnake materialized on the scene, coiling up and shaking its rattle-like tail in as intimidating a gesture as possible. Rotom only let out a deranged cackle, seemingly finding Ekans’ snarls amusing. Brute narrowed its eyes, realizing that this match could be quite difficult.

“Try if you like,” Elliot shrugged. “The competition makes it all the more fun. Ekans, use Dark Pulse!”

Ekans reared back its head and spat an erratic stream of shadowy rings, which somehow stayed in a line as they barreled towards Rotom. The Plasma Pokemon easily sprang off a wall, however, allowing the Dark Pulse to slam into the opposite side of the basement.

“Brute, use Vacuum Wave!” Derak cried.

Brute swung its arm forward and did release the windy attack, but Rotom made no effort to dodge. The reason for this soon became apparent: Brute’s Vacuum Wave simply sailed through Rotom, causing the Electric-type no visible harm whatsoever. The Plasma Pokemon countered by putting its two bolt-like appendages together and shooting a blast of blue lightning from them, electrocuting Brute with what appeared to be a Thunderbolt.

This is a Regular Forme Rotom, right? I don't think Vacuum Wave will even work on it...

“I must say, I do wonder how you even got to the fourth Gym with your lack of knowledge,” Elliot smirked. “Fighting-type attacks have no effect on a Ghost-type like Rotom. Ekans, Dark Pulse once more!”

Oh, I spoke too soon.

Ekans again fired a Dark Pulse, but this time Rotom dodged by spontaneously rocketing through the ceiling. A series of loud thumps could soon be heard, each one closer than the last.

Oh, great, Derak thought. What’s that hyperactive psycho up to now?

Rotom soon returned the same way it exited: crashing through the ceiling. This time, however, its form was much larger, and the Plasma Pokemon landed on the floor with a loud bang. Its body now somewhat resembled a refrigerator, and the irises of its eyes—along with its now-blunted bolt-like arms—had turned purple.

Okay, now things are getting interesting. This fight is actually turning out to be pretty dynamic and exciting, and Rotom changing Forme part of the way through ought to provide another good turn of events.

“What in the…?” Derak stared. “What happened to Rotom?”

“It appears to have possessed an electrical appliance, using it as a body and changing its abilities significantly,” Elliot observed. “Ekans, we will need to change tactics to suit our foe’s new form. Use Iron Tail!”

Ekans launched itself like a spring, uncoiling itself as it leapt into the air. Its rattle took on a silver sheen, indicating that the Poison-type intended to strike Rotom with its tail. The Electric-type grinned again, however, and opened its two refrigerator doors. A shower of ice and snow somehow erupted from Rotom’s open doors, and due to its positioning, Ekans was completely caught in the frigid assault. The snake soon fell to the ground, eyes wide but body completely encased in ice.

“Raagh, stupid little gremlin!” the Jason persona snarled. “How dare you use Blizzard on my Ekans!”

Can "STUPID LITTLE GREMLIN!" become a meme now, like Hugh unleashing his rage? :p

I'm surprised he didn't know enough to expect Blizzard from Frost Forme Rotom, though, especially when he actually did recognize what it was and what type it became.

Well, Ekans is obviously out of the running, Derak thought. Okay…Elliot said that Rotom’s abilities change when it possesses stuff, and he had Ekans use Iron Tail instead of Dark Pulse. Maybe…

He looked down at Brute.

“Ready for another try?” Derak asked. “I know this sounds like a stupid idea, given what happened last time, but…”

“Ma-chop,” Brute nodded.

“Okay, use Vacuum Wave!” Derak ordered.

Brute again wound back one fist and threw forth a small wind tunnel, but this time Rotom’s eyes went wide in horror. With the bulk of its new refrigerator body limiting its movement, Rotom was helpless as the Vacuum Wave threw it to the floor. The refrigerator-bodied Plasma Pokemon began to glow, however, and the true form of Rotom soon emerged.

I like that you showed Derak getting this hit in. Sure, part of it was luck, but you also showed him using his head and deducing potential situations based on what Elliot did.

“Roooh?” Rotom groaned, using one of its bolt-arms to rub its apparently aching head. The Plasma Pokemon looked up and saw Derak and Elliot towering over its own small body.

Oh God, that's adorable.

“Aren’t you done yet?” Derak sighed. “There’s only so much that people can take of your crazy antics, you know.”

“Tom!” Rotom narrowed its eyes and crossed its bolt-arms. “Rooooh-TOM!”

A small ball of electricity formed around Rotom’s arms, and when the Plasma Pokemon quickly uncrossed its arms, the ball was launched forth. Rather than simply strike Derak or Elliot, however, the ball instead split into a large net-like shape. The electric net caught both of the young humans inside it, trapping them on the floor as a cackling Rotom levitated into the air.

Electroweb?

Okay, major points here if that's what this actually is. The B2W2 Move Tutors brought in some really awesome potential moves and I like seeing that possibility taken advantage of.

With a psychotic grin in place, Rotom put its bolt-arms together and began firing Thunderbolts randomly around the basement. Walls began to fall apart, fragments being blasted out by Rotom’s attacks, and the already-fragile ceiling began to drop pieces. Despite this, Rotom appeared to be even more thrilled, launching Thunderbolts with a renewed vigor every time something fell and made a loud noise.

“Oh, no,” Derak mouthed, eyes going wide. “That crazy Rotom’s going to bring the whole mansion down on our heads!”

“WHAT?!” Jason roared. “Are you kidding?! That’s it, get me the hell out of this Electroweb!”

As the boy with multiple personalities scrambled about in his attempts to break the net, Brute hurried to Derak’s side and quickly tore the Electroweb open. Derak fell out, Jason following suit. Rotom noticed their escape, and in response, redoubled its efforts. The ceiling was now minutes from collapsing thanks to the Plasma Pokemon’s wild Thunderbolts, leaving the trapped trainers with few options.

“We’ve got to get out of here!” Derak cried, jumping as a piece of the ceiling fell beside him. “That Rotom’s going to kill us all!”

“This way!” Elliot cried. “We’ll escape through the window!”

Despite the window’s small size, Elliot was able to push it open, clamber up, and squeeze through. Derak needed a boost from Brute, but was able to make it as well. Once outside, Derak recalled Brute and fled the scene. Rotom stopped firing Thunderbolts for a moment, long enough to realize that its prey had escaped.

And it simply let out another cackle as the Celadon Mansion crumbled around it.

What a devious little thing. I hope we see it again somehow.

“What…in…the…world?” Derak panted, his body flat on the ground. “That Rotom…just tried…to KILL us!”

“Yes, ‘mischievous’ did seem to be an understatement,” Elliot agreed, his own body in a similar position. He soon got up and dusted himself off. “Well, I’d best be off. If you’ve already won at the Celadon Gym, I suggest you do the same.”

“Why would I want to take YOUR advice?” Derak snarled.

“Because I actually know what I’m talking about?” Elliot smirked. “I have a new Pokemon to train, so I’m afraid I must be going. Until we meet again.”

With that, Elliot left. Derak took a moment to seethe, his hatred for the split-personality boy growing, before he got up.

“Ah, forget this, I’m going back,” Derak said, looking to the fallen wreckage of the Celadon Mansion. “Just need to try and figure out how to explain that.”

Are you sure that's a good idea, Derak? Going back seems a bit hasty...

Oh wait, he means going back to the Pokemon Center. Nevermind, I misunderstood.

That night, after Derak had gone back to the Pokemon Center, some of the mansion’s rubble began to shift. A rigid lightning bolt protruded the wreckage, and an entire body followed soon after. Rotom looked around at the night sky, and let out an excited cackle.

Dare I think that he will live on?! Rotom's next appearance will surely be something to wait for, no doubt about it.

Well, all in all that was a very entertaining chapter. The beginning was a little shaky and had a couple of faults that I pointed out, but once you hit your stride, it really was good. The battle was the best part - while it was relatively short, it captured the competitiveness being traded between Derak and Elliot quite well.

Morpher01

Bewear my power
Air Dragon:
Oh, for goodness sake... Hasn't that thing had ENOUGH?!

Nope. Not for a long time. XD

So his rival swipes a potential capture and a homicidal Pokemon has him marked. Not the best of days. But he travels around with Garth. So I could be wrong. XD

Oh, this is just the tip of the iceberg...

Rotomknight: Good luck with your "turn-Rotom-good" method. Although, for this Rotom...you may not even get close enough to hug it. XD

As for Derak getting Rotom...ah, you'll see. You'd be surprised by how things will turn out.

The Great Butler:
I think that should be "shutter," not "shudder." I won't point out any further instances of it, so just consider this point for every time "shudder" gets used in that context.

Now that you mention it, you're probably right.

Two things:

One, nice lampshading of how useless the Pokedex entries usually are. Derak's putting into words what a lot of us are thinking.

Two, I'm kind of surprised that Derak doesn't know what an Eevee is, given how common they seem to be among trainers in Orre. Did Enoch shelter him that much?

Actually, yes. Anoch didn't want Derak to be exposed to ANY Pokemon, let alone to Eevee and all related evolutions.

Oh come ON. Of all the times for this creep to come back, it had to be here and now and in this way?

Of course, I'm sure "creep" is the kind of word you want a reader to be thinking when they look at him, so what you're doing is working.

"Creep" is one of the possible words you may have in mind, yes. XD

Oh, of course he's not going to just spill his plans immediately.

I'm really intrigued by what he's saying about the world being in for a "rude awakening," though. My mind naturally wanders into wondering if it is somehow connected to Nobunaga.

Can't say too much on Elliot, but I can say that he isn't connected with Nobunaga. He's got his own agenda to worry about.

Dare I think that he will live on?! Rotom's next appearance will surely be something to wait for, no doubt about it.

Oh, you have no idea what you're in for...heh heh heh...

Morpher01

Bewear my power
Well, it's slightly late, but here's the next chapter. I got Black 2 recently, so...yeah.

Chapter 19: Safari Zone

The dusty winds of Orre drifted across Phenac City, speckling the once-spotless city with bits of sand and dirt. Derak’s hometown was now an absolute mess. People and their Pokemon, the latter bearing agonizing battle scars, barely clung to consciousness as their bodies laid flat on the ground. Some buildings were afflicted with scars of their own, large holes having been blasted into them and rubble decorating the streets.

The most devastated building, however, was Anoch Kadir’s home. It was larger than most due to his wealth, but that only added to the miserable state the house was in. The front wall, along with sections of the roof, had been completely obliterated, and the house had all but collapsed upon itself. Anoch’s body—battered, beaten, and burnt as it was—somehow managed to escape death by crawling out of the wreckage. One shaky hand reached out, as if to grab something.

“Dray…kus…you—” Anoch grunted, only for unconsciousness to finally take hold of him.

The man he knew as “Draykus”, however, was currently occupied with other affairs. His Conkeldurr and Hydreigon faced down a man with long purple hair and a white jacket, whose chosen two Pokemon had fallen before his eyes. The purple-haired man gritted his teeth, realizing that his fall would most likely mean the end of Phenac. His opponent, however, merely heaved a disappointed sigh.

“Really?” Nobunaga sighed. “This is the best that Phenac City has to offer? You are supposed to be Justy, the head of the Prestige Precept Gym, where trainers from all over Orre flock to learn about the intricacies of battling. And yet, here we are, with your six Pokemon handily defeated…by my two.”

“I’m still going to stop you, Governor!” Justy declared angrily. “I don’t know why you’re doing this, but I won’t let you destroy the very region you swore to protect!”

At this, to Justy’s shock, Nobunaga merely chuckled.

“I’m afraid my reasons would be beyond your comprehension, boy,” he laughed. “Now, stand aside. I wish to see just what you’ve been teaching in your ‘Pre Gym’.”

He made to advance, but Justy did not move. The Pre Gym Leader steeled his gaze, scowling fiercely at his foe.

“Very well,” Nobunaga sighed. “Conkeldurr?”

The colossal Fighting-type simply swung one of its pillars and knocked Justy aside, sending his body careening into Phenac’s outer wall. With the Pre Gym Leader’s now-broken body out of his way, Nobunaga advanced into the semicircular building known as the Pre Gym. Inside, he was met with a less-than-warm reception: young children huddled in a corner with a teacher wrapping her arms around them as best as she could, the teacher herself glaring viciously at Nobunaga, and a group of angry trainers staring down the supposed governor of Orre.

“Heh,” Nobunaga smirked. “Are you going to battle me, now?”

“We’ll do better!” one of the trainers declared. “We’re going to defeat you!”

The trainers sent out a multitude of variegated Pokemon, each one distinguished by its unique shape, size, and typing. Although team balance was clearly part of their studies, Nobunaga was undaunted in the slightest. In fact, he actually seemed to be bored.

“Hydreigon, use Draco Meteor,” he sighed.

The three-headed beast reared up, a swirling light gathering upon its stomach. The center of the heads pointed skyward and opened its mouth, releasing a single sphere into the air. The sphere split into a plethora of smaller spheres, which rained down upon the Pre Gym Pokemon like a torrent of meteors. The meteors viciously battered the opposing Pokemon, their types being of no help to them. All the Pre Gym trainers gasped upon seeing their Pokemon beaten so easily with but a single attack, and fell themselves shortly after due to a shockwave caused by Conkeldurr’s fist striking the ground.

“No wonder Derak sought to flee this city,” Nobunaga muttered, ignoring the ruptured floor and broken bodies that lay before him. “Had he remained here, his potential would be squandered into nothing.”

“Wh…what do you want?” one of the trainers groaned weakly.

Nobunaga smirked and approached the trainer, Conkeldurr in tow. The Muscular Pokemon pinned the bottom of one pillar onto the trainer’s stomach, and Nobunaga’s sinister smirk grew upon seeing the fear in the trainer’s eyes.

“Heh heh,” Nobunaga snickered. “You want to know what I want? Very well, then. What I want is information.”

His smirk suddenly vanished, replaced by a frown. His eyes narrowed, and the entire expression of his face went from sadistic mirth to deadly serious.

“There is someone I must visit if my future plans are to succeed,” Nobunaga said, his voice calm and his tone authoritative. “What do you know about Team Plasma?”

A week passed before Derak and Garth arrived at their next destination. It was a city, but it appeared to be rather rural. The houses were generally small and spaced apart, with nature itself set between them. There were a small number of larger buildings, but otherwise the town was fairly unremarkable.

“This is where the fifth Gym is, right?” Derak asked. “Fuchsia City?”

“If I remember correctly, yes,” Garth nodded. “The Gym here focuses on Poison-type Pokemon, so to get done with this quickly, you should focus on Psychic-type and Ground-type attacks.”

“You said that Echo’s Zen Headbutt was Psychic-type, right?” Derak asked, holding his Zubat’s Pokeball. “Well, that’s one guy I’m definitely going to be using.”

“As if you have any choice in the matter,” Garth snorted. “You have only those three Pokemon, remember?”

“Eh, if I find another one that’s all right with this whole trainer thing, I’ll let him tag along,” Derak shrugged as the two entered the Pokemon Center.

“That would require an inordinate amount of luck, boy,” Garth grunted. “From what you told me of what occurred in the Celadon Mansion, you appear to be relying too much on what is determined to kill you.”

“Yeah, just figures that I’d get stuck up against a psycho Rotom that wants me dead,” Derak sighed bitterly.

“At least try and get a Ground-type Pokemon,” Garth suggested as the two trainers sat down at a table. “There should be one or two available in the Safari Zone.”

“…the what?” Derak blinked.

“Ugh, that sheltered upbringing of yours,” Garth muttered. “Very well. Here in Fuchsia City, there is a reserve where the native Pokemon are rare, even outside of Kanto. Trainers are free to enter this reserve, dubbed the ‘Safari Zone’, and capture up to thirty Pokemon using special Pokeballs provided by the management.”

“So…it’s a nature reserve…where people catch Pokemon?” Derak said slowly. “What’s the bad news? I mean, it's got to be in there somewhere.”

“As far as I know, the ‘bad news’ is that you cannot battle the Pokemon you wish to catch,” Garth answered. “Assuming that you find a worthwhile Pokemon, all you can do to capture it is throw a ball and hope that it works.”

“…that’s kinda stupid,” Derak blurted.

“Agreed,” Garth sighed, “but it is also your only option at the moment. The Safari Zone is open right now. Go there and capture a fourth Pokemon. You may well need it against the Fuchsia Gym Leader.”

“All right,” Derak said as he made to leave. “I’d say ‘wish me luck’, but we both know how that’ll turn out.”

Shortly afterward, Derak pushed his way into the Safari Zone with a large bag in hand. Within the bag were, as Garth had earlier described, thirty Pokeballs with a dark green upper half. Despite having sufficient ammunition, Derak only grimaced as he made his way into a forested area.

“Whose bright idea was it to give the cranky old receptionist a gun?” Derak muttered. “Ugh, anyway, let’s get down to business…”

As his first endeavor for finding a suitable fourth Pokemon, he pushed aside part of a bush and peered behind it. A Pokemon was indeed there: a small purple dinosaur-like creature with small ears, a stubby tail, and what appeared to be a black plate atop its head. The Pokemon looked at him with its beady black eyes, studying him inquisitively.

“Kang?” the Pokemon squeaked.

“Hey, little guy,” Derak said, pulling out his Pokedex. “What are you supposed to be?”

“Khan!” a deeper voice cried, and out of the forest stomped a larger, brown-colored version of the small purple dinosaur with a pouch on its stomach. “Kangas-khan!”

“Uh-oh,” Derak gulped, backing away from what was apparently the brown dinosaur’s baby. “Okay, look, I’m backing away, I have nothing to do with your baby!”

Derak had managed to back several feet away, and the brown Pokemon ignored him as it approached its baby. A tender smile overtook the parent’s aggression as it lifted the baby into its pouch, much to the infant’s pleasure.

“Kangaskhan,” Derak’s Pokedex reported. “The Parent Pokemon. Type is Normal. It raises its offspring in its belly pouch, and only lets the baby out to play when it feels safe.”

“The kid must have wandered off, then,” Derak muttered as he replaced his Pokedex in his pocket.

“Um…excuse me? Kangaskhan?” a timid female voice ventured. A familiar purple-haired girl came into view, a Safari Ball in hand.

“Khan?” Kangaskhan blinked, ignoring Derak as it turned to face Teresa. It immediately began sizing her up, attempting to determine if she would be a threat.

“I…I’m a trainer, and…I’ve, uh…always admired how you…protect your baby…with your life,” Teresa said slowly. “Could you…if it’s not too much trouble…could you come with me? I…I need help…my Pokemon need help…from someone like you.”

The Parent Pokemon seemed to consider this for a moment. It looked Teresa over once more, eventually judging her to be of decent character. With a friendly smile, Kangaskhan nodded.

“Really? You’ll…you’ll do it?” Teresa gasped, and Kangaskhan nodded again. “Th-thank you…Kangaskhan.”

Teresa nervously reached out with her Safari Ball, and gently tapped the mother Kangaskhan’s forehead. The saurian parent was promptly absorbed into the Safari Ball, its child going with it.

“Whew,” Derak sighed in relief. “Hey…it was Teresa, right?”

“Huh?” Teresa blinked. “Uh, oh…yes, it…it was.”

“Thanks,” Derak said. “I probably wouldn’t have made it out alive if you hadn’t caught that Kangaskhan.”

“Oh…well…you’re welcome,” Teresa said nervously, fiddling with her fingers.

“Okay, seriously, what’s your deal?” Derak asked. “How come you’re so nervous all the time?”

“I…it’s, uh…it’s kind of a long story,” Teresa said. “Erm…if it isn’t too much trouble, could you…uh, maybe…help me get out of here? W-when you’re done here, that is, I…wouldn’t want to…inconvenience you.”

“Uh…okay?” Derak blinked. “Anyway, I still need a Pokemon, so I guess we’re moving on.”

Back at the Pokemon Center, Garth sat alone at his table, taking another swig from his canteen. Once the canteen left his lips, he heaved a ragged sigh.

“Knowing the boy, I may need to enter the Safari Zone myself,” Garth muttered bitterly. “Doubtless he will have somehow gotten lost…and still be without a fourth Pokemon.”

“This just in!” a newscaster cried on a television mounted in the upper corner of the lobby. “A mysterious black Pokemon has been spotted in the skies of Kanto! Eyewitnesses claim that this is no ordinary Pokemon, but in fact a Legendary Pokemon!”

Garth’s eyes widened. A black Legendary Pokemon? He spun around until he located the television, which initially displayed a woman in her twenties sitting at a desk. The picture soon changed to a somewhat blurry image of what was presumably the Pokemon in question.

“This is an image taken on an eyewitness’ cell phone,” the newscaster explained. “It appears that someone is riding atop this Pokemon across the Kanto region.”

Garth was oblivious to the second half of her explanation, however. All he saw was a shape from his memory: a huge black dragon with enormous bulky arms and legs but comparatively tiny bat-like wings, its most notable feature being the large generator-like tail protruding from the dragon’s rear. Garth only uttered a fearful whisper at the sight of this beast.

“Zekrom…”

In the Safari Zone, Derak and Teresa continued on their expedition. Teresa was always looking around nervously, as if fearing that something aggressive would burst out of the bushes. Derak, however, continued to stop every now and then, peering into small areas.

“So…you, uh…still need a new Pokemon…right?” Teresa asked.

“Pretty much,” Derak replied. “Hey, I think I see something over there!”

The two soon came upon a small field-like area, where a rhinoceros-like Pokemon rammed its armored body into a large rock, smashing the boulder into pieces. The Pokemon was a dull grey color, with a single small horn and clawed toes at the end of each of its four short legs. Its blood red irises were just as intimidating as the large ridge coming out of the rhinoceros’ spine.

“Rhyhorn,” Derak’s Pokedex reported, “the Spikes Pokemon. Type is Ground and Rock. Its powerful tackles can destroy anything. However, it is too slow-witted to help people work.”

“Maybe…maybe you can catch that Rhyhorn?” Teresa ventured. “The Safari Balls...well, they work better if you’re…closer to the Pokemon. Maybe you can…?”

“Maybe,” Derak replied, scratching his head. “I’ve heard Ground-types are pretty good against Poison-types, but—”

He was cut off by a sharp whistle that quickly caught the Rhyhorn’s attention. There, on the other side of the small field, stood Elliot Trey, casually leaning on a tree and smirking arrogantly. The boy with multiple personalities made a beckoning gesture with one finger, which managed to send the Rhyhorn into a violent rage. The Spikes Pokemon quickly charged towards Elliot, smashing anything that got into its way as it barreled towards him.

“Elliot,” Derak growled. “What in the world is he doing?”

Despite the Rhyhorn’s seemingly imminent impact with his body, Elliot did not move an inch from where he stood. Instead, he simply took a Safari Ball out of his pocket and waited for Rhyhorn to come closer. Once the Ground-type was a foot away from impact, Elliot reached out and casually tapped the Safari Ball against the Spikes Pokemon’s horn. Eyes wide in shock, Rhyhorn could do nothing to stop its absorption into the Safari Ball. Following the obligatory click that signaled a successful capture, Elliot clipped the Safari Ball onto his belt and left without a word.

“Great,” Derak growled. “That’s another Pokemon for HIM and one less for ME.”

Teresa shrank back slightly, as if she feared Derak’s anger turning on her. The boy noticed this, and sighed.

“What are you worried about?” he asked. “It’s got nothing to do with you.”

“O-okay,” Teresa gulped. “Let’s…let’s just go. There…has to be a Pokemon for you…somewhere in here…right?”

In Orre, the same news broadcast that Garth saw earlier was seen by someone else. The mouth of this someone curved into a sinister grin upon seeing the mysterious Pokemon. He, too, recognized it.

“There you are,” Nobunaga grinned. “Heh…time to claim what was once mine.”

Back in the Kanto Safari Zone, Derak suddenly came to a stop. Before him were several damaged trees, either cut through or knocked over. Teresa gulped as she looked down, cringing as she saw a red liquid spattered on the grass.

“Oh, man,” Derak breathed. “What happened here?”

A sickly groaning could be faintly heard within the cluster of broken trees. The eyes of both trainer’s quickly widened. Derak was the first to run in, with Teresa lagging behind due to her unwillingness to see more blood. They soon found the source of the groans: a third Pokemon, this one resembling a humanoid praying mantis with a vaguely canine head and massive blades serving as arms. On the Pokemon’s back was a pair of what were once gossamer wings. Now, however, they were folded and spindled, clearly causing their owner pain.

“Scyyy,” growled the Pokemon, struggling to push itself up.

“Scyther,” Derak’s Pokedex reported, “the Mantis Pokemon. Type is Bug and Flying. The sharp scythes on its forearms become increasingly sharp by cutting through hard objects.”

“Rrgh, of all the times to act useless,” Derak muttered. “Hey…Scyther, hey, can you hear me?”

The Scyther’s blue eyes narrowed at the sound of Derak’s voice. The Bug-type turned its head and angrily spat something red at Derak’s feet, much to Teresa’s discomfort.

“Uh…okay, I’ll take that as a ‘yes’,” Derak said slowly. “Look, Scyther, you need help. Hang on, let me…”

He pulled out a Safari Ball, but Scyther’s eyes widened at the sight of the device. It pointed one bladed arm at Derak, still attempting to rise from the bloody patch it had left behind. The more it rose, however, the more wounds became visible: cuts, bruises, and small holes added to Scyther’s broken wings.

“Okay, that’s it, I need to take you to the Pokemon Center yesterday!” Derak said, aiming for a relatively unhurt spot on Scyther’s body and gently throwing the Safari Ball. The Bug-type glared at him viciously as its body faded into red energy, but Derak ignored it as he grabbed hold of the Safari Ball and dashed out of the Safari Zone as quickly as he could, Teresa following to the best of her ability.

“You again?” Garth groaned. “Why are you here?”

“I am here to challenge the Fuchsia Gym,” replied Nando, having just sat down at Garth’s table.

“With nothing but your Grass-types?” Garth snorted. “I believe I have a good idea of how your battle will go.”

“You are correct to believe that I may be at a type disadvantage,” Nando nodded. “You should not, however, count me out so quickly. As I am sure you are aware, types alone do not determine how a batt—”

“Nurse Joy!” Derak cried the second he burst into the Pokemon Center, Teresa barely keeping up with him. “Really messed-up Scyther! Needs help now!”

“Oh, my!” Nurse Joy gasped, taking the Safari Ball that Derak haphazardly threw onto the counter. “Did you find this in the—”

“JUST HELP IT!” Derak yelled. “It’s bleeding a LOT! It needs help NOW!”

Nurse Joy hurriedly ran to the back, her Chansey in tow. With a final few pants, Derak collapsed on the ground, sighing as he thumped his head against the front desk.

“What happened?” Nando asked.

“We…we found a Scyther,” Teresa replied. “It was…very badly injured. Its wings…they were…”

“Really messed-up,” Derak finished sadly. “Just like the rest of its body.”

“How did I know you would stoop to find the first bruised—” Garth began.

“I DON’T WANT TO HEAR YOUR STUPID CRITICISM!” Derak bellowed, his dramatic change in demeanor causing Garth to stop for a moment. All that could be heard for that moment was Derak's panting.

“Are you done?” Garth asked calmly.

“…that depends,” Derak sighed. “Are you going to spit out garbage about how I shouldn’t have stopped for the Scyther, even after seeing that one of its wings was folded IN HALF? As in, folded in a way that it shouldn’t have been AT ALL?”

“Ah, I see,” Garth said. “If the injuries were that severe, then I suppose you did the right thing.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Derak asked. Teresa worriedly backed into a wall, anticipating that the worst would follow.

“I had assumed that—given your nature—you would have stopped to nurse the first injured Pokemon you saw, despite the fact that its injuries could be healed without human aid,” Garth explained. “In all honesty, I would have done the same thing as you if that Scyther was indeed in as poor condition as you claim.”

“Sure you would have,” Derak scoffed, leaning against the front desk.

“Hmph…believe what you want,” Garth grunted.

Derak merely stayed by the desk, looking back into the operation room. Minutes dragged on like hours as he waited for Nurse Joy to return with news of Scyther’s status. Once or twice her Chansey came in to retrieve a supply of some sort, but the nurse herself did not show for some time.

Eventually, however, she did return. The depression on her face brought worry to Derak’s mind, but upon noticing him, Nurse Joy smiled.

“Your Scyther’s been patched up, and should recover most of the way by morning,” she said.

“What do you mean ‘most of the way’?” Derak asked. “There’s a ‘but’, isn’t there?”

“I’m afraid so,” Nurse Joy nodded. “Scyther’s wings were badly broken. They’ve been put in a cast, but they’re going to take some time to fully heal.”

“Can I see him?” Derak asked.

Nurse Joy nodded, and lead Derak back into a sort of waiting room. A large glass panel showed an unconscious Scyther lying face-down on an operating table, its heavily-bandaged wings pointed straight up.

“We had to anesthetize it,” Nurse Joy explained, “but other than that the only problem was the sensitive wings.”

Derak could only stare at the Scyther in the operating room. He could only imagine the level of pain it had endured by some unknown enemy…and the amount of time it would take to recover.

“Don’t worry,” Nurse Joy smiled. “It’ll be just fine by tomorrow. It should even be battle-ready, if you're the go-getter type."

She turned and left just in time to avoid a dark glare from Derak.

I don’t care about HIS being battle-ready, he thought. I care about his being a hundred-percent for the sake of being a hundred-percent.

He slowly approached the window and placed a hand on it.

“Get well soon,” he whispered. “…Strike.”

With that, Derak trudged away. Once he had gone and the lights went out, however, Scyther’s body began to move. One blue eye snapped open, and only one thing could be seen within that eye.

The fires of pure rage.

Status
Not open for further replies.