• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pruning a Passel of Pals!! (546)

jammiedodger

Ash did well though considering he was at a disadvantage from the start. Using a Lanturn was a clever move though, since the contest had a very watery theme and a lot of the co-ordinators probably used water types to take advantage of the water (and show off to Wallace as well what with him being a water trainer), so they'd leave themselves open to a disadvantage against electric or grass and combining a water type with electricity was a good idea.

Kyle certainly didn't seem to expect such a shock move like that ice aqua jet though, and that was the moment of the episode for me. Ash pulling off a risky move intended for dawn and actually impressing the crowd and the judges while doing it. Shame it didn't win him the battle though, but then we knew he'd have to loose at some point anyway since contests aren't really his goal so he doesn't need to win.

Also I remember vaguely at the lakeside Ash mentions to Pikachu something about him feeling like 'it was the start of something new'. Could this be hinting at Ash taking more interest in contests?

dman_dustin

Also I remember vaguely at the lakeside Ash mentions to Pikachu something about him feeling like 'it was the start of something new'. Could this be hinting at Ash taking more interest in contests?

Ash was just referring to battle strategies not the actual contest.

Someone said Exeggutor had a horrible dub voice, but I don't think that was Exeggutor I believe it was it's trainer.

uber gon

Accept Change

jammiedodger

Well the spin technique which Dawn also adopted is new.
Ash has also changed things around with his battle strategies and dedication to training. Chimchar could have turned out more like Charmeleon and Charizard did during the Indigo and Orange leagues but this time Ash had the guts and dedication to deal with it from the off.
He's also playing outside his comfort zone by taking part in contests even though it isn't his main aim nor his interest, yet he's willing to give it a shot and gaining some valuable tactical experience by doing it. It's interesting that Buizel is obviously more battle orientated, yet Ash has actually been using him as Dawn originally intended to in contests.

I'd say Ash has grown older and wiser, even if the animators refuse to show it physically, then at least it shows mentally and in the way he battles now.

I'd definitely love to see Ash playing around with a few more contests without stealing Dawn's thunder too much. Jessie proved with her command of Aipom that Ash's Pokémon have the training to win contests. It would be interesting to see Ash himself succeed in one perhaps during the new Sinnoh Battle Frontier sure to follow the end of the Diamond and Pearl seasons.

Rebeccag

Was quite a good episode. I wanted to hear more about Mays visit to Johto too
I liked the Ice Aqua Jet as well pity Ash and Buizei lost though
Just a question it says on bulbapedia that Drew Harley and Solidad were in the episode but I didnt see them. Did anyone else spot that or if they were in the japanese version where were they?
I dont like Kyle he kinda annoys me. And I dont know why either

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
Ash's Buizel was amazing! I just loved the way that it used its different moves.

piplup_777

Paparazzi ♪♫
wow wven though i knew what was going o happen im still impressed
but now i have to wait two more weeks :(

uber gon

Accept Change
Slowking[George];8714162 said:
Ash's Buizel was amazing! I just loved the way that it used its different moves.

Just imagine what he could do as a Floatzel.:)

Mario-Sonic

Former NSider
I am sick of the "Paul" hate. He is written to be an *******, that´s what makes him so awesome.

Ever since I saw Paul and his arrogant manner, I've thought of him as the dark side of Pokemon Trainers. You obviously should avoid seeing him at all costs if you don't want him mocking your Pokemon. Overall, I just hate his personality. Heck, even Ash's old rival Gary respects his Pokemon way better than how Paul respects his.

uber gon

Accept Change
Ever since I saw Paul and his arrogant manner, I've thought of him as the dark side of Pokemon Trainers. You obviously should avoid seeing him at all costs if you don't want him mocking your Pokemon. Overall, I just hate his personality. Heck, even Ash's old rival Gary respects his Pokemon way better than how Paul respects his.

Well he does bring something new to the series. That has to count for something.

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
Just a question it says on bulbapedia that Drew Harley and Solidad were in the episode but I didnt see them. Did anyone else spot that or if they were in the japanese version where were they?

It's true that Drew, Harley and Solidad were shown, but this was in the previous episode "Staging A Heroes Welcome". Furthermore, the relevant scene was only lasting for some seconds and unfortunately, neither of them said one single word. They were just standing and sitting together in front of a TV, obviously in order to watch May's appeal.

TeddiUrsa

It's true that Drew, Harley and Solidad were shown, but this was in the previous episode "Staging A Heroes Welcome". Furthermore, the relevant scene was only lasting for some seconds and unfortunately, neither of them said one single word. They were just standing and sitting together in front of a TV, obviously in order to watch May's appeal.

I think the main problem was that nobody wanted to hire the VAs just for one or two little sentences.

May´s father never talked again, when he watched May on TV during her festivals I think. It s a bit sad, because I bet Harley had enough to say, even in such a short scene, but...what can you do about it?

It was awesome enough that they showed up at all.

Cobalt_Latios

This episode was good. Found it a little odd that the girls could hear Ash fall off his bed.
Either the bed was higher than usual, or Ash's head is a heck of a lot denser than we initially thought.

It surprised me that Ash got to see an Azelf as well as the mentioning of Mesprit and Uxie.
True, but don't forget that Ash wasn't able to recognize it as a Pokemon at first glance. In fact, I was waiting for him to yank out his Pokedex and scan it in the hopes of a Pokemon data entry. Though, considering that Ash has now seen Azelf, Dawn saw Mesprit and both May and Zoey have heard of Uxie, it kind of works out (of course, not entirely realizing what Pokemon they were probably didn't help matters).

Brine was a little unimpressive for Wailmer. It would’ve been more suitable as Water Spout.
Same, I actually rewinded to check if it was Brine... odd.

Ash’s Buizel’s “Ice Aqua Jet” was cool to see.
Yup, that was something else.

If Zoey is grom Snowpoint, I wonder if she'll surprise everyone by having a Frosslass later? That'd be kinda cool.
Please no unintentional puns.

LOL Tracey was reincarnated!
Hmm, so I'm not the only one who recognized Ted Lewis.

It's a shame that Ash lost the quarterfinals. The part with Paul was quite pointless since we already know that he disrespects ALL that Ash does. You know, Paul should lighten up and start respecting Ash's hard work, because his training actions may eventually lead to his undoing.
Considering he has already made 2 cameos within both episodes does make you wonder why he's bothering to actually stick around I might add.

Well, I figured I'd might as well post my own opinion on this episode. I'll say that this was pretty interesting to say the least especially when Ash has his "freak" encounter with Azelf.

I was actually rather shocked to hear the Zoey is from Snowpoint, however, after thinking about that for a moment, it mildly explains most everything about her. Nah, but it was neat to know where she's from though.

On to the contests. Is it just me, or has Ted Lewis had his "reappearance" in this episode as that guy with the Wailmer. I'm almost certain it's him. As for Dawn and Buneary, it seems she's finally putting her right foot forward and taking control once again. Although, Wailmer's Brine was a little... iffy. I mean, I know the show doesn't follow the game's rendition of some of the attacks, but I didn't quite understand how that should have been Brine... heck I don't really know what Brine should look like.

Ash's battle was pretty good. What a snobby trainer. And I actually laughed a bit when Ash successfully pulled off Dawn's concept of the "Buizel Missile". So far, Ash has perfected not one, but two of Dawn's own moves. Which, I find kind of ironic to some extent. Granted, the Buizel Missile was awesome. Even though Ash did lose, he did a great battle. Pretty close too. At least Buizel got some praise from Wallace. That's always good.

And then for next episode, I wonder how this'll turn out. Well, I already know really...

So, highlights:

- Ash witnesses Azelf;
- Zoey is from Snowpoint;
- Ted Lewis is apparently voicing again;
- Ash pulls of the "Buizel Missile";
- Ash loses;

For one episode, that ain't half bad...

Oh, but darn how could I forget our favorite band of incompetent thieves... that's right, Team Rocket! Hold on a sec...

I have to say, though Team Rocket didn't really do much, it was good that Jessie apparently reprized her role as newsreporter for the event. I thought that one little mention at Ash was funny, because in the end, that's what TR is used to doing (losing).

There, now I've gotten everything down pat.

episode score: 8.5/10

~C_L~

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
This episodes looks like one of those episode where many of the main characters use their pokemon in the same contest/battle and everyone feels excited!

Genome

pro-SHARK WEEK
I don't even wanna KNOW what that title is a pun of.

Ash, Calisthenics isn't for everyone.

This mysterious figure sounds like The Creeper to me.

Wailmers make pretty interesting battlers, bouncing out and into water for impact. Then there's rollout for those large strips of land. It just so happens that Buneary's "transient footwork" shredded this one.

Skitty? Venusaur? Crawdaunt? This is absurd

Hell yeah! Ice rocket set K.O!

Hmm, maybe Paul was thinking Ash Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Jessie bit the dust alright, not so sure about Ash. Lanturn NEEDED a good battle, but those thunderbolts had no spark to them at all.

This past month Jessie's insults have climbed serious heights.

Fabio didn't make it :(

7/10 This is still pretty top notch stuff, all this neglect just irks me.

Insidious_Dreamer

Dreams = Reality
i just loved the entire ep really - but i supppose it goes without saying

Insidious_Dreamer

Dreams = Reality
i just loved the entire ep really - but i supppose it goes without saying