• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ps3 ylod (for the love of god help me!!!!!!!!!!!)

The Mega Champion

Yeah...

I'm depressed... and upset... I want to cry.

August 12, 2012.

My PS3 suddenly turns off. I try to turn it on again. No luck. I try again. No luck.

Green light, brief yellow light, then flashing red light.

Pretty sure this is the YLOD because I tried to find the problem on the internet.

WTF am I supposed to do?

I DID NOT BACK UP MY SAVES.

I DO NOT HAVE THE FUNDS TO GET IT REPAIRED.

I WANT MY GOD Pony DATA BACK.

THE IFIXIT/GLIKSY METHOD IS TOO DIFFICULT. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MECHANICS/ELECTRONICS.

I DO NOT HAVE A HEAT GUN OR THERMAL PASTE. THOSE ARE OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE TOO.

THE HAIR DRYER METHOD MAY WORK BUT OTHER PEOPLE SAY IF I DO IT WRONG I MAY DAMAGE MY PS3 EVEN MORE.

Please... help me...

I... I...

want to play L.A. Noire, XIII-3 and Versus XIII...

ISN'T THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO?!

:'-(

Abstinence Pistols

If you turn off the power supply, then turn it back on with the eject button held down, it turns on the fans at maximum for fifteen seconds and ejects anything currently in the disk drive. If you have any games stuck in the PS3 at the moment, that will get them out, and it might help you with YLoD too due to the fans.

Other than that, I'm afraid you don't have a lot of options. I know the feeling, I got it a month after I bought a PS3. If it's one of the older models (the fat ones) it's more prone to that.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
I also go the YLOD about a year ago. There's no way to get any of the data back without getting the PS3 to turn on for enough time to transfer it. And putting the old PS3's HDD in another PS3 won't work because it'll immediately reformat it if you do that.

The Mega Champion

Is there any place I could send it to other than Sony? For repairs I mean. Obviously.

Abstinence Pistols

There typically is no permanent fix for YLoD - even Sony generally just ends up sending you a refurbished PS3. You could send it to a local tech shop or the like to get a temporary repair to get your data off the hard drive, that usually works for about a month or so IIRC.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
There typically is no permanent fix for YLoD - even Sony generally just ends up sending you a refurbished PS3. You could send it to a local tech shop or the like to get a temporary repair to get your data off the hard drive, that usually works for about a month or so IIRC.

That's what I did. One of my local small video game shops got mine working again for $60. Then I bought a new PS3 and transfered everything to that one. And I agree, fixing the one you have will probably only last about 1-3 months before breaking again.

The Mega Champion

I've heard about a hair dryer fix or something like that.

Have you guys heard about that?

Will it work long enough for me to backup my data?

Will it do anymore damage to my PS3?

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
I've heard about a hair dryer fix or something like that.

Have you guys heard about that?

Will it work long enough for me to backup my data?

Will it do anymore damage to my PS3?

Well are you just wanting to copy a few saves or do a full system transfer? Because a full system transfer can take a long time depending on how much you have on your HDD. For example my PS3 took slightly over 23 hours to finish.
I've heard the hair dryer will only get it to power on for 10-20 minutes. Someone feel free to correct me on that.

The Mega Champion

Nevermind. I may have a plan in place to solve this issue.

Thanks for all of the help regardless though.