• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PS4 has now sold 6M hardware as of March 2nd, 2014!

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Read all about it here, folks!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/03/ps4-hits-6-million-ushers-in-new-era-of-social-gameplay/ (US PS Blog source)
"As you’ve probably read by now, cumulative PS4 sales have now surpassed six million units worldwide following the successful launch in Japan just over a week ago. It’s truly humbling to see the rate at which gamers across the globe are choosing PS4 as their next gen console of choice. Even more exciting is what happens when gamers power up their PS4s. In the United States, more than 90% of PS4s are online, enabling gamers to connect, compete and share their greatness with friends and fellow gamers."

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201403/04049233.html (famitsu source)

https://mobile.twitter.com/VHyttinen/status/440744586680750080?screen_name=VHyttinen (social media guy and Finnish Playstation PR)
13.7M software sold!

Some interesting facts
•Killzone Shadowfall is the highest selling game so far, at 2.1M units sold. Other big hitters include Knack, BF4, ACIV, CODG, and FIFA 14
•Last documented sales were from Feb 8, with PS4 at 5.3M. With the Japanese PS4 launch on Feb 22nd, it managed to sell either 309K (Media Create tracking), or 322K (Famitsu tracking) on its first 2 days. Second week sales are 50-60K, making the PS4 somewhere around 360-380K units sold in Japan. This means that the PS4 is only behind the PS2 and Wii in terms of home consoless and the first 2 days of being sold
•Last documented Wii U sales were from Dec 30th, 2013, at 5.8 units shipped. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze probably moved some hardware, so the PS4 is either really close to outselling it, or probably already has.
•Sony's PS4 goal for the fiscal year was 5M. They've now surpassed that number by a million, and still have the rest of the month to get more sales
•The PS4 is on track to be selling at a much faster rate worldwide than both the Wii and PS2
^http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=778823&page=5
The first post compares the sales record of the PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4.

From NeoGAF user Aquamarine
"Remember guys, this 6.0 million is an estimate by SCEI.

It's not absolute hard numbers, and it's assuming that the vast majority of stock sold-in...promptly sold-through as the market is supply-constrained.

However, it's a pretty damn accurate estimate. SCEI spares no expense into making sure their PR is solid.

Fantastic job to everyone involved in SCE WWS."

Last edited:

Mister_SGG

I would be one of those 6 million, but before I decided to wait until 2015 (mid January) I couldn't find them anywhere

I guess Sony's dev team managed to fix the blue-pulsing-light-of-death.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I guess Sony's dev team managed to fix the blue-pulsing-light-of-death.

Blue-pulsing light of death? I think I've heard of that, but only during the PS4's first month. Even the Xbone and Wii U had reported problems during their first month. Whatever it was, there have been barely any reports of console failures since then. Sony's R&D team did a great job making a console so small and sleek, but still have a powerful hardware and better airflow than the rival Xbone, which is bigger yet weaker in hardware. At least making it such a big box will make sure it doesn't overheat and burn houses anymore like the original Xbox 360 model did.

Mister_SGG

Speaking of technical faults like that, does anyone know if new PS4s made more recently still suffer those types problems? I know there are guaranteed to be some bugs but I mean un-fixable ones like BLOD.

Blue-pulsing light of death? I think I've heard of that, but only during the PS4's first month. Even the Xbone and Wii U had reported problems during their first month. Whatever it was, there have been barely any reports of console failures since then. Sony's R&D team did a great job making a console so small and sleek, but still have a powerful hardware and better airflow than the rival Xbone, which is bigger yet weaker in hardware. At least making it such a big box will make sure it doesn't overheat and burn houses anymore like the original Xbox 360 model did.

I couldn't agree more.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
Wow. I've never been a fan of the PS. Plus i remember how bad a rep the PS3 got during its years while the other systems were dominating (360, Wii). Now this gen, PS4 seems to be leading the pack with the One following and Wii U bringing up the rear?

Reversal of Fortune Twist of fate, you name it.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Speaking of technical faults like that, does anyone know if new PS4s made more recently still suffer those types problems? I know there are guaranteed to be some bugs but I mean un-fixable ones like BLOD.

Don't know. I haven't seen or heard of a single widespread problem for all 3 now current gen consoles since around mid-December last year. BLOD, YLOD, and the infamous RROD are all overheating problems. Every electronical device ever will overheat. Videogame consoles, cars, TVs, etc. Think of them as humans and pets. If you don't take care of them well, they'll break down or die. As long as your PS4/Xbone/Wii U has enough space for air to flow nicely/is cooled properly, you clean the vents once in a while to remove built-up dust, and don't leave your console running 24/7, it should be fine. However, there is still a slight chance that your console will break no matter how well you treat it. With consoles now packing in so much power, they'll be running faster and hotter. The Xbox 360's RROD was just a big mess up on Microsoft's part. They rushed that thing way earlier than it should have been.

Wow. I've never been a fan of the PS. Plus i remember how bad a rep the PS3 got during its years while the other systems were dominating (360, Wii). Now this gen, PS4 seems to be leading the pack with the One following and Wii U bringing up the rear?

You've never been a Playstation fan? As in you've never owned a Playstation console or handheld ever? Or perhaps have had a Playstation console, but never played the first-party games? Or maybe even never ever played a game on Playstation before, such as Kingdom Hearts 1, 2, and BBS? Final Fantasy VII-XII? God of War? Crash Bandicoot 1-Racing, Spyro 1-3, etc?

Anyways, A New Console Generation = A Clean Slate
Start over again from 0 install base. Start your way up again.
Whatever bad stigma you had from the previous gen, you have another chance to make up for it. Fortunately for the PS4, its competitors started off as brain dead idiots. Nintendo for being so confusing with the Wii U console itself, and not catching up to modern standards. Microsoft for screwing over anyone who isn't from the US and by having such a bad debut for the Xbone.

Reversal of Fortune? Twist of Fate? I guess you could call it that, but there's also the fact that Sony was and has been very smart in how they handheld the PS4. Announcing the thing way earlier than Microsoft expected, that glorious E3 "No DRM/We allow trading and borrowing games" celebration, the E3 announcement drops with KHIII and FFXV, teaming up with Bungie for Destiny, 8GB GDDR5 Ram, "For the Players" ad, etc. There was barely any negatives for the PS4 from the reveal on 2/20/13 to the release on 11/15/13. IMO, the PS4 still outselling the Xbone was and is just insane, and setting launch records was no mere luck.

Mister_SGG

Have you ever heard of the Playstation 2?

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Have you ever heard of the Playstation 2?

Is that the place where you watch DVDs on?

In any case, I'm one of those 6 million and I kinda regret doing so. I probably played my PS4 less than 2 hours since the day I got it, or the day after launch. And a good hour of that was for trying to connect my Vita to the PS4, and failing. I really should've bought another PS3, so I could get all the RPG's coming out this year and next for it and waited on the PS4

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
You've never been a Playstation fan? As in you've never owned a Playstation console or handheld ever? Or perhaps have had a Playstation console, but never played the first-party games? Or maybe even never ever played a game on Playstation before, such as Kingdom Hearts 1, 2, and BBS? Final Fantasy VII-XII? God of War? Crash Bandicoot 1-Racing, Spyro 1-3, etc?

All of the above...
And I regret getting me an Xbox One at least for right now. Not really doing much with it

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Is that the place where you watch DVDs on?

In any case, I'm one of those 6 million and I kinda regret doing so. I probably played my PS4 less than 2 hours since the day I got it, or the day after launch. And a good hour of that was for trying to connect my Vita to the PS4, and failing. I really should've bought another PS3, so I could get all the RPG's coming out this year and next for it and waited on the PS4

Hey, you can't say they went wrong with that. Being part DVD player was one of the many reasons why the PS2 sold so much. Cheap, cheap DVD player that also coincidentally played really awesome games.

I'm not gonna tell how you should spend your own money, or how you should have looked at the launch line-up before falling for the hype and buying a PS4, but if you really aren't playing/using it much right now, you can always sell it. Demand is still very high, so you'll most likely make a profit selling it online for higher than retail.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
If it wasn't for that PoS kinect and $100 more. Xbone could of gotten some ground with the PS4.

Though I can say I won't be getting a Xbone anytime soon. Titanfall looks decent, and the only game that interests me is Halo 2 anniversary(which hasn't been confirmed yet).

But I will admit I'm getting a PS4 very soon. With picking up Infamous SS from it's launch. As well for BF4 and Ghosts because of it's special offers I got from both PS3 versions.

After this, me and my brother are gonna try to focus on getting a Wii U.

gregjammer

Feather Trainer
...True...

...And PS4's milestone(which is this topic's main point) appears to be bad news for the entire console gaming industry ... :(

Mister_SGG

...True...

...And PS4's milestone(which is this topic's main point) appears to be bad news for the entire console gaming industry ... :(

Well that was... depressing. Although I highly doubt mobile gaming will ever take over consoles. I personally can't stand mobile games, and the few times I've played one, it lasts for about 5 minutes before I get bored.

Meanwhile, I put over a hundred hours into Skyrim on my PS3 (which was hell on that system so you know I enjoyed it).

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
UPDATE!!!!!!!!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/16/ps4-hits-7-million-globally/#sf2613495

You read that right, folks! The PS4 has now reached 7M consoles sold WW!

"Hi guys! I’ve got a quick update to share with you. Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. just announced that PS4 has cumulatively sold through more than 7.0 million units globally as of April 6th, 2014. PS4 software sales are another bright spot, with more than 20.5 million copies sold at retail and PlayStation Store worldwide as of April 13th, 2014."

NPD is tomorrow, so we'll see how many consoles and handhelds were sold in the US for the month of March.

Kuvario

I am who I am...because of them.
UPDATE!!!!!!!!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/16/ps4-hits-7-million-globally/#sf2613495

You read that right, folks! The PS4 has now reached 7M consoles sold WW!

"Hi guys! I’ve got a quick update to share with you. Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. just announced that PS4 has cumulatively sold through more than 7.0 million units globally as of April 6th, 2014. PS4 software sales are another bright spot, with more than 20.5 million copies sold at retail and PlayStation Store worldwide as of April 13th, 2014."

NPD is tomorrow, so we'll see how many consoles and handhelds were sold in the US for the month of March.

7 MILLION?! That's insane! I can see this selling 95 million by the end of its lifecycle. NPD is tomorrow then, well there will be fanboys fighting heavily on IGN, GameSpot, etc.