• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PSA: Gou is NOT a psychopath

Status
Not open for further replies.

OniCornwalis

I really didn't think I would have to say this, especially since most of the people here are pretty smart, but apparently I was wrong in that assumption. So, just to make things clear, I'd like to make sure that everyone in these forums understands that Gou IS NOT a psychopath. And at this point you may be wondering to yourself; "Why is he not one?" Well, to start, let's look at the qualities that make up a psychopath.

As stated by the 20-item Hare Psychopathy Checklist, a psychopath is a person that has a lack of empathy, is a pathological liar, has no sense of guilt, is impulsive and irresponsible, has reduced emotional responses and fails to accept responsibility for their own actions.

Based on this checklist, Gou only exhibits the quality of being impulsive and irresponsible, a trait that Ash also shares. Gou is a very emotional person, as shown by his respect towards Ash in episode 3 and excitement over catching new Pokemon, which crosses off having reduced emotional responses. Gou is a very empathetic person, as shown when he tries to save Scorbunny from being punished by the cafe owner in episode 4 and checks to see if his Metapod isn't hurt in episode 7 after it falls on the rock. Finally, Gou accepts responsibility for his own actions, as shown when he apologizes to his Scyther in the battle tournament. While Gou does have his issues, such as being socially awkward and being selfish sometimes, those are issues that a lot of people have, and don't automatically make someone psychotic. While it sucks that we don't see a lot of meaningful interactions between Gou and most of his Pokemon, he at least makes sure they're well cared for and doesn't treat them like dirt.

People on these forums believe that having emotional issues equals being a psychopath, which is completely false. As someone who has personally lived with a legitimate psychopath, seeing people misuse that term in order to make Gou look bad infuriates me, as I guarantee that almost all of you don't understand what you're saying when you call Gou psychotic. You can dislike Gou and call him selfish or insensitive at times, but PLEASE don't use a term to describe him that doesn't apply in any way, shape or form.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Some people are just that desperate to justify their nonsensical hate of a character. You saw the lengths some Bulbagarden weeds go to to do that; I'm afraid most other Pokemon fan groups aren't too different in that regard.

It doesn't change the fact that they're wrong about Go, though.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
They're just tired about the show nonsenses and make words to show their frustrations. I really mean the show, not only about Go's issues but stuffs like the Alola League as well, especially if you're really dedicated to watch it after so many series.

I started watching the show since XY full-time I was disappointed and annoyed about the show issues, but I stopped expecting/depending on it after the series so I only watch for entertainment, because I was tired to complain about it and wanted to get over with.

And I know what a psychopath is. I played games like Dead Rising which had a good amount of them (as bosses), due of the zombie apocalypse, and there's no way Go would behave the way they do.

Last edited:

RafaSceptile

The best thing you can do with Pokémon is to watch it for entertainment, especially until you see what Ash's goal will be during the series.
This is part of what made SM a decent series, the filler episodes tried to be original and were fun, but after all the SM complaints and requests to return to the old formula. It finally happened in PM2019 and now the complaints they are for Go and why the episodes are as boring as PM2019 EP8.

For my part, I will wait for the series to come forward to comment on Go, but to say that he's a psychopath for the first 9 episodes is as ridiculous as saying that Serena was an obsessive with Ash in the first 9 episodes of XY, when she really wasn't

Leonhart

Imagineer
I've never seen anyone call Gou a psychopath, and I'm struggling to understand why they'd think that said word describes him. He's a bit impatient when it comes to catching Pokemon to the point where he might come across as somewhat flippant about his captures, but I don't see anything particular wrong about that considering that his goal is to capture a lot of Pokemon in general.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
He's probably been called that somewhere else and as far as I know, intersites drama isn't allowed here (not mini-modding, just pointing it out).

Anyway, I think some came up with the description because of how fast his catching has been so far. And since the show has a tradition of being REALLY slow with captures and normally devoting an entire episode for a character to bond with a pokémon before catching it, people feel like that Go's Pokémon Go style captures is too unfit for the show. Their reasoning - which is kind of reasonable even if I don't agree with it - is that it dimishes Pokémon as just playthings Go catches and then dump in the lab (not much different than what WE do in the games, but still...).

I really feel they should have approached things differently. Just have Go catch the pokémon, register the entry in the pokédex, collect some data and then release it in the wild. It even fits the whole researcher fellows things they are going since, as far as I know, real-life researches do sometimes capture wild animals, collect samples/data and then let it resume its life.

Actually I think I just seen a small part of a TV program showing just that

Leonhart

Imagineer
Even though Gou is impulsive, I don't see how he can be declared a sociopath either. I'm not exactly a fan of how Gou's been handled since there are quite a few things about him that I feel could be improved on, but it says a lot about the state of the anime when torches and pitchforks are raised just because the new character is catching a lot of Pokemon while Satoshi isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.