• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PSA: Pokemon anime delay in Japan means english dub delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mega Champion

Just thought I'd be Captain Obvious and remind everyone that with the anime officially indefinitely delayed in Japan with no return date... this automatically means the english dub of the newest series is also delayed.

Don't expect the english dub of the new series until 2021.

Leonhart

Imagineer
A delay was expected as far back as late March/early April when it became increasingly obvious that COVID-19 would affect the anime overall. I'm not sure where that 2021 date is coming from, though. We don't even know how long the Japanese hiatus will last, much less how much time the dub's hiatus will take.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The delay is confirmed for Japan, which obviously includes preparing animated episodes.

But as for available episodes (around 20) that could have been dubbed by now, that's not confirmed. The dub had to start releasing dubbed episodes 4 months later after a saga finished its run. We're a month short from reaching that threshold. Whether the dubbing company in charge of the Western dub has already cooked episodes or not, that's unknown. NDAs are surely in play.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Cant they do their lines from home?
Not everyone has set up their own booths.

I can totally see the Japanese voice actors pulling it off due to having a much higher income, but the Western ones? Not when they can't even afford the Japanese soundtrack.

But one also has to consider the troubles of even getting the necessary equipment.

Regardless, animators don't have the luxury of working at home to do their jobs. They can't animate, nothing goes anywhere.

nickdt

Obviously, with the Japanese Anime being delayed, the dub will also get delayed. Else we get 20 episodes for the dub and then another 4 month dub hiatus.

The Mega Champion

I didn't get 2021 from anywhere. I'm just assuming the worst case scenario in that we won't be seeing it until next year.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
A delay was expected as far back as late March/early April when it became increasingly obvious that COVID-19 would affect the anime overall. I'm not sure where that 2021 date is coming from, though. We don't even know how long the Japanese hiatus will last, much less how much time the dub's hiatus will take.
I hope it gets over soon, for me who's not into politics or nationalism.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Still no.

If you have ever recorded music, you know that your voice echoes a lot and ton of background sound. The cheapo method is to get a down comforter and a microphone. Still, the audio quality isn't good if you have ever seen a half competent starting Youtuber. Sometimes software or hardware can alleviate this, but that tends to be expensive.

Since we're dubbing, your words need to match the speed of the original footage which may not be available to you because of secrecy or contracts or some other nonsense. You also would need a director and a sound engineer to properly get the sound correct.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Sarah Chalke from Rick and Morty put a video of her up recording lines for upcoming episodes from home using a microphone and she made herself a booth using quilts and a bunk bed, so it’s not impossible for voice actors to record from home.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
Sarah Chalke from Rick and Morty put a video of her up recording lines for upcoming episodes from home using a microphone and she made herself a booth using quilts and a bunk bed, so it’s not impossible for voice actors to record from home.

I've heard that it's different with animé than it is for American cartoons. In American cartoons, I remember hearing that they dub the lines first, at least they do for some big movies and that allows the voice actors to ad lib a lot of lines, much like I heard Robin Williams did with the Genie in Aladdin. I think it's also the reason why the "lip flaps" for cartoons seem to match the words more closely than it does in animé. For animé, though, besides the fact that it's a dub from a series from Japan, and, thus, has already been animated, even in Japan, I hear that they draw the scenes first, lip flaps and all, and the voice actor then dubs the lines.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KingMinun said:

While it probably isn't impossible for the dub's voice actors to record their lines at home, I wouldn't really see the point of them recording dub episodes at this time given that "Pokemon Journeys" probably won't air for a while, anyway. The Japanese version's indefinite hiatus makes it seem as though the dub will probably be kept on hold as well.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
While it probably isn't impossible for the dub's voice actors to record their lines at home, I wouldn't really see the point of them recording dub episodes at this time given that "Pokemon Journeys" probably won't air for a while, anyway. The Japanese version's indefinite hiatus makes it seem as though the dub will probably be kept on hold as well.
It will only be kept on hold when the impossible milestone of the dub catching up to the Japanese episodes ever happens, which will be...never, even with a pandemic going on.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I was already wondering why the english version hadn't started yet even before the Japan Delay

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The thing about voice acting is that in order to record dialogue for any type of animation be it a tv show or movie, you need to do a session in a studio. Doing a session over the phone will cause issues with clarity and even additional noise that is unintentional. The dialogue has to be very clear and understandable. You can’t have an actor record from home and have a dog barking constantly in the background especially if there’s no dog in the movie or episode/show. Editing audio is extremely tricky and you need to be precise with it. If anyone could just phone in lines for an animated movie or show then everyone would be doing it and there’d be no studios to do any recording sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.