• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PSP or 3DS?

fire_man

BurnUDown
I'm not sure if this thread belongs in here, but I read the rules and I think it does, so here goes...

So I'm a pretty big video game fan. I've played Nintendo consoles my whole life (with the exception of my PS2) so Nintendo is pretty much the only thing that I know. I don't really have much time anymore, so I like to portable game instead of sitting down and playing a Wii or PS2. I have a DS Lite, but have never owned a PSP. I feel like I'm missing out, with all of the great games for the PSP (I've never played a Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy game in my life. I don't really want to buy PS2 games anymore...the only exception I made to this was Persona 3 FES)

So I'd like to play a bunch of PSP games, but Nintendo just released the 3DS, which also has a some games that I'd like to play, like Ocarina of Time 3DS, Kid Icarus, etc. I want to buy another portable gaming system, so which one do you prefer? 3DS or PSP? Which one do you think I should get? And if PSP, which kind? 3000, 2000, or Go?

EDIT: Add Vita onto that list.

Definitely go for the 3DS. I think a PSP is nothing more than a glorified mp3 player.

theswweet

swweet is awesomme!
Definitely go for the 3DS. I think a PSP is nothing more than a glorified mp3 player.

I know you probably didn't think of it, but please read the thread... ok? we have already established MANY reasons why the PSP is a better system for the money, at this time

Chris

Old Coot
This is an unfair decision. The PSP has been out for years of course it has better games atm. Chris' list is unfair for the same reason. Wait til the same amount of 3DS games are out then make a list. But by then the PSP would be outdated do to the Vita.
I've already made it perfectly clear that the PSP has the unfair advantage of having time under its belt. However, that doesn't change the fact that it's still the better choice to make right now as the 3DS literally has nothing worth owning for it at the time being, save for two games at most.

3DS is an overglorified Game Boy Advance with 3D.

See? I can make stupid claims, too.

Devil's Apprentice

~Orian Adventures~
I'm full 3DS - yes, the only difference between it and the ds are graphics, but that's basically the same between gb and gbc! Then came gba! Don't think nintendo's at it's end because of it, plus, the 3d is great!

PSP is just a portable playstation, but the 3DS isn't a wii! It's a whole different experience

Dragon Trainer X

良い感じ!
Definetly the 3DS! I have 10 reasons why.
1. The no glasses 3D is awesome!
2. Very well made and detailed graphics.
3. Many old console games are available for a little money, along with new games.
4. It is (I believe) the first music player to use mp3 files from an SD Card.
5. It works as a pedometer and even rewards you for your steps.
6. Portable Mii/avatar maker.
7. Portable Netflix.
8. It's an automatic camera at your disposal.
9. It comes with a bunch of downloadable apps (most are free)
10. The PSP is just crap. I'm sorry my parents wasted money on it. It can't do any of the above (except #2, if you are a VERY lenient person).
Trust me, even though it's a little more money than the PSP, it's worth saving up for. The 3DS is a giant leap in gaming. I'm happy I saved up for it. 3DS, FTW!!! ^_^

Chris

Old Coot
1. The no glasses 3D is awesome!
2. Very well made and detailed graphics.
3. Many old console games are available for a little money, along with new games.
4. It is (I believe) the first music player to use mp3 files from an SD Card.
5. It works as a pedometer and even rewards you for your steps.
6. Portable Mii/avatar maker.
7. Portable Netflix.
8. It's an automatic camera at your disposal.
9. It comes with a bunch of downloadable apps (most are free)
10. The PSP is just crap. I'm sorry my parents wasted money on it. It can't do any of the above (except #2, if you are a VERY lenient person).
Trust me, even though it's a little more money than the PSP, it's worth saving up for. The 3DS is a giant leap in gaming. I'm happy I saved up for it. 3DS, FTW!!! ^_^
And 3, 4, 8 (add-on), and 9.

Your logic is astounding. Let's look over them.

1) Which rarely works well for most games. In some cases, the 3D KILLS the framerate of the games. Dead or Alive, for example runs in 60FPS in 2D. 30FPS and below in 3D. It's a gimmick that doesn't work for every game and isn't really necessary for most of them (was 3D really necessary for Street Fighter IV?)

2) Very well made and detailed graphics? Debatable, as many of the current games can easily be done on the PSP and some on the DS. Most of the current games don't show off anything spectacular.

3) "Many old console games?" We're talking about the 3DS, not the Wii. The 3DS has only a FEW Game Boy and Game Boy Color games available. It will have NES, GBA and Game Gear LATER. As in, not available right now. PSP has a large list of PSOne titles, along with some NEO-GEO, Turbo Grafx-16 and Turbo CD ports.

4) It's not. Not even close.

5) 100 steps = 1 coin. 10 coins per day. Can only be used for unlocking material in games that use this feature. Cannot be used for actual purchases. Therefore, it's a useless feature.

6) ...Who cares? You can make your own character in actual games where it matters and have far better customization options.

7) Laughable, considering the 3DS' battery life. The PSP also has the ability to watch movies and TV shows, whether they be via UMD or by digital purchases/rentals.

8) Mostly pointless. Especially when everything today has a camera, including cell phones. The PSP has its own method of being used as a camera, as well.

9) Both handhelds have their own fair share of apps. Some of the "free ones" on the 3DS aren't exactly hardware sellers.

theswweet

swweet is awesomme!
1. The no glasses 3D is awesome!It is a gimmick, and after a while may hurt the OP's eyes
2. Very well made and detailed graphics.It has he same amount of RAM as a PSP, and it has a worse screen. Even though the GPU is better, the PSP will look better because of said screen.
3. Many old console games are available for a little money, along with new games.PSOne classics, anyone? AND not to promote pirating, but a PSP has access to tons of emulators...
4. It is (I believe) the first music player to use mp3 files from an SD Card.The DSi can do that too, and the PSP uses MSPro Duo, which are almost as common, and just as big
5. It works as a pedometer and even rewards you for your steps.Pokewalker anyone?
6. Portable Mii/avatar maker.I'll give you that, but it isn't that much of an incentive
7. Portable Netflix.Again, on a crappy resolution screen.
8. It's an automatic camera at your disposal.Automatic isn't the word, and so is the Dsi. Plus, if you connect a Camera via USB, the PSP is one too.
9. It comes with a bunch of downloadable apps (most are free)Most aren't free, they ae just to make up for the wait. Give it time, and it will be mostly NOT free.
10. The PSP is just crap. I'm sorry my parents wasted money on it. It can't do any of the above (except #2, if you are a VERY lenient person).I just showed you it CAN do most of that, and it also has access to MP4's allowing you to watch videos on it. It also has many Homebrew Softwares that allows even MORE functionality, even allowing you to run windows on it.
Trust me, even though it's a little more money than the PSP, it's worth saving up for. The 3DS is a giant leap in gaming. I'm happy I saved up for it. 3DS, FTW!!! ^_^It is NOT a giant leap in gaming, it is just a DS with motion controls and a bad 3D gimmck. The circle pad is one of the few improvements.

Also, the 3DS has inherent hardware AND software issues, the PSP does not. All those "updates" are to stop people from hacking the PSP.

Comments in bold

Edit - and everything Chris said.

Last edited:

metagrody6

COMO UN JEFE
NOW? From what everybody else has said, apparently the PSP. The 3DS will be worth getting once there are more games out. Many people are saying the Vita will crush the 3DS, which may be true.
Now this is just the first 3DS model we're talking about here. Look at DS to DSlite. Personally, I'm gonna wait this out.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Let's all make something clear.

Right now, a PSP has the advantage of being better than the 3Ds.

Later, however, the 3DS will outshine the PSP. The real debate will take place once the Vita grows older after its release. THEN you can discuss which one is better.

sceptile33

I would much rather have a 3DS, because it's soon going to have lots of great games, which I want. The PSP has many quality games, but they're not my style at all.

Tbh, I think the 3d is unnecessary for my gaming experience, and is not at all a reason I want the 3DS.

Sapphire Mudkip

~zafirofuego
I find the 3DS much more entertaining. 3D is okay but I just want the games. Playstation of any kind never caught my interest since the games feel dull, but Nintendo it started out dull for the 3DS but if you keep looking at the games coming later, your wallet flies out the window to Kyoto...

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Top 5 reasons to get a 3DS.

1 Orcarina of Time
2 Orcarina of Time
3 Orcarina of Time
4 Orcarina of Time
5 Orcarina of Time

You spelt Ocarina wrong.

And you forgot the 6th reason.

...Which is nothing at the moment, unless you're in Japan, which is then Star Fox 64 3D.