• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Psyduck: Duck or Platypus?

Is Psyduck a duck or a platypus?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
I got into an argument with Bynine over something with an obvious answer: is Psyduck a duck or a platypus? It's obviously a platypus. Just check the Animals that aren't Pokemon thread and the What Pokemon are Based On thread. The only thing it's missing is the beaver tail, but that's not important. The duck part of its name comes from "duck-billed" as in "duck-billed platypus."
Anyway, what do you think?

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy

KingRaichu

Hail to da king baby
I'd say duck...but because it looks mammalian and lays eggs...platypus..and besides, it has claws...and no wings...so there

xspicysnowballx

Woof, meow, moo!
Looks like a duck who acts like he's high most of the time.

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
I'd say duck...but because it looks mammalian and lays eggs...platypus..and besides, it has claws...and no wings...so there

Yes! That's exactly why it's not a duck: no wings!

Grei

not the color
It's both. It's called Psyduck because it has a bill, like a duck, and ducks are more well-known than platypi.

Ducks have wings. Psyduck has claws. However, Platypi have beaver-like tails, Psyduck has a duck-like tail.

So it's both.

Last edited:

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.

Doduo doesn't have wings...

And every Pokemon lays eggs..

Also, jesus christ, you could have made the poll options slightly less biased.. now everyone's going to vote Platypus. If I made the poll options biased towards ducks, it would probably be the opposite.

Last edited:
Heh it's a pretty hard one. I voted for duck just for the fact that it says duck on the name, but yeah, it does resemble a platypus more.

Dattebayo

Banned
It looks more like a cross between a duck and a platypus.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Platypus for sure. Were psyduck truly a duck, it'd have a little something I like to call WINGS. Really, who's heard of a wingless duck? Psyduck's clearly got four mammilian limbs, which makes it clearly a mammal.

I hate it when people are sticklers to pokemons' names. Really, why trust the word used for the creature more than its actual appearance? Psyduck's name at least always had the word, "duck" in it (it was koduck in Japan), but insisting that infernape's an ape just because of the English name? What ape has a frickin' TAIL? It's clearly a mandrill, and anyone who insists that it must be an ape because a dubber saw fit to name it after one seems pretty dense to me.

But going back to the subject of ducks, now that I think of it, the duck wasn't really done to justice in Pokemon, really. One "duck" nobody can even agree on if it's really one or not, and the one that's obviously a duck (farfetch'd) wasn't even given the water type. The duck was given the versatility of being able to both fly and swim, some ducks actually known to fly as fast as a plane, and, of course, being renowned for their swimming abilities, yet the water/flying type combination was instead given to a great, wingless sea serpent, while the only true duck was left without the aquatic inclination the duck is famed for.

But considering how pokemon treated things like the dolphin and squirrel, I think the duck family can come to forgive Pokemon.

tahhato

Glaceon be the Best
i would say platypus, i have never really thought of it b4...but now that i do it is definatly a platypus....if it had wings, well thats a diferent story

o and octoboy, mantyke mantine wingull and pelipper are all water flying too dont forget

Last edited:

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
Let's not forget; Psyduck is yellow. Now, what's the stereotypical colour for ducks? Yellow. Yuh. It also is missing the beaver-like tail of a platypus. It, however, does have arms... But it is definately coloured something like a rubber duckie. I'm guessing that Psyduck is a duck-based Pokemon with platypus features, and it isn't purely based on either.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
But if you look at psyduck next to pikachu, it's actually orange. It's the same colour as raichu, so calling psyduck yellow is calling raichu yellow.

o and octoboy, mantyke mantine wingull and pelipper are all water flying too dont forget

Course I didn't forget, but they aren't ducks either.

Only wingull and pelipper are water and flying types taken from things which both swim and fly. The rest are just swimmers which sort of look winged (mantyke doesn't look in the least bit aerodynamic) and fully aquatic pokemon, simply given the flying type as a handicap to prevent cheapness.

ijea4444

When sugimori is making it he's not like. This pokemon will be only duck!. He just designs them with what comes out of his hand and, as far as I know the pictures of animals he is viewing while drawing them. I know that when If I drew a fake animal I would look at several animals and combine the features that I like. Whats the point of making a fake creature if you only use the features of one real animal? It would just be a redesigned version of the animal, not a fake. Which basically is what pokemon are.

BlazeXX

WisdomTree Trainer
When sugimori is making it he's not like. This pokemon will be only duck!. He just designs them with what comes out of his hand and, as far as I know the pictures of animals he is viewing while drawing them. I know that when If I drew a fake animal I would look at several animals and combine the features that I like. Whats the point of making a fake creature if you only use the features of one real animal? It would just be a redesigned version of the animal, not a fake. Which basically is what pokemon are.

this thread is pointless. Read the name-Psy(DUCK) jesus christ people...

Status
Not open for further replies.