• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pure Flying Type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m190049

Local psychopath
You know, I just kindah thought... Why are we having this debate on physiology of the Pokemon anyway?

There's no pure Flying-Type because Game Freak doesn't want there to be.
...Topic over, really. It's a Video Game.

Ezra

Mudkip anyone?
technically, i think there should be 'bird type' pokes, eg pidgey, that have one type, bird, not flying. flying shoulnd't exactly be a type, just something they have do, made obvious by the addition of wings, air sacks etc. so all 'flying moves' like peck etc would be bird moves, others like 'fly' would either be normal or bird.

growlithe_master

<-- Ain't it cute?
going back to the "flying types are normal animals so they are normal type but what about machoke and fish" im going to say something. i think the defintion that makes a pokemon the normal type is being based on a warm-blooded animal. this means all pokemon based off of birds and mammals are normal type. all the flying/normal types are based off of birds, which are warm-blooded. machoke is not even based off of an animal, so it is not normal type. fish pokemon are obviously based off of fish, which are mostly cold-blooded animals (with the exception of tunas and mackerel sharks) so they are not normal type. that is my take on this whole discussion along with a science lesson.

Hi I'm back people.
Wow you guys posted like 5 pages of stuff without me??

Umm...
The Machoke line is based off of humans.
Humans are warm-blooded animals.

The Mankey line is based off of monkeys which are also warm-blooded.

While your argument somewhat makes sense and could be true to an extent, I don't think the warm-blooded/cold-blooded thing is the only factor.

The creators probably just think birds are somewhat normal.
And it makes sense.... in some weird way.

Keckleon, and a Pokemon with Conversion or Conversion2 can also be pure-flying.

Meh, kekleon's a strange one, and so are the Porygon line, "metronomers", sketchers, and that one that for some reason, can't fly and is grounded, but is of the flying type. Can't make sense of what I just wrote? Then I typed it right =]

I was wondering, if roost removes the flying weaknesses, and immunities/resistances, why doesn't "Fly" give you the Flying type's weaknesses and resistances? Well, you can't get hit by much while flying, so that's done right, but I guess it wouldn't make much difference since most that can fly are already the flying type, and triple typing is out of the question.../pointlessness

Kim62

Hello
To be clear, I'll say this:
There are no pure flying types nor first type flying types, this excludes Pokemon that became pure flying due to an attack or ability.

m190049

Local psychopath
Meh, kekleon's a strange one, and so are the Porygon line, "metronomers", sketchers, and that one that for some reason, can't fly and is grounded, but is of the flying type. Can't make sense of what I just wrote? Then I typed it right =]

I was wondering, if roost removes the flying weaknesses, and immunities/resistances, why doesn't "Fly" give you the Flying type's weaknesses and resistances? Well, you can't get hit by much while flying, so that's done right, but I guess it wouldn't make much difference since most that can fly are already the flying type, and triple typing is out of the question.../pointlessness

Well, when using Fly, a Flying Pokemon is now Flying.
Nothing really gained there...

Although when using Roost, a Flying Pokemon is now grounded.
Therefore, it's no longer Flying...

cannibaleyes

Holier Than Thou
It is a very interesting debate, and I don't see any reason that there isn't a pure Flying type, other than the programmers just didn't make one. I think that pokemon such as pidgey are normal/flying because most of them are based off of real-life birds, such as pidgey being based off of a pigeon(hence the name, pidgey...), which are fairly common or 'normal'. I think probably the main reason that there are no pure flying types is because most all of the other pokemon that are part flying are based off of something else that calls for another type (ie. Gyrados is a flying sea serpant thing, flying dragons, ect.), and they haven't really had many that couldn't be classified as some other sub-type.

As for Fighting type, I think it is not referring to a state or even will to fight, but rather a particular style of fighting. Most fighting pokemon and moves are generally associated with some kind of martial arts, and include kicks, punches, and other moves that are used in such practices. Hence why a lot of trainers that have fighting-types are karate kids and such.

Last edited:

chrombot

The Steel Hearted
Only the Daul-Type thing wasn't completely sourced.

The other ones are pretty much known. Here's a quote directly form the game. The person that greets you at the Vermillion City Gym in Pokémon Red and Blue cautions you that "Bird and Water types do poorly against Electric types".
And no, that wasn't a typo on my part. The guy says Bird.

That's still speculation. That's not solid fact that bird type and flying type were the same thing. That's an error and needs to be treated as an error. We assume that bird became flying, we don't have proof, we dont know what changes were made and what was taken into consideration for the change and so on.

Dark Master Zork

dark scizor master
i looked over the first 2 pages and was wondering how a fighting/flying type go weird combo...

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
The Bird type exists last time I check. Go catch MissingNo in R/B. It's a bird type.

And the reason there is no pure flying type yet?

Game Freak hasn't bothered to make one.

So be patient and wait for them too make one.

chrombot

The Steel Hearted
The Bird type exists last time I check. Go catch MissingNo in R/B. It's a bird type.

Yes, it's been known for a long time Bird type exists in the game coding. It's gold/silver's coding too.

To say that all flying types use to be known as bird types is an assumption. There's no proof to that. We don't know what bird type did before the games release, if it was flying type renamed, if it was changed to flying, if certain pokemon gained flying type after bird type was removed and so on. We have no information on bird types usage. Bird type has no weaknesses or resists, so we got no hints.

It's possible bird was removed in favor flying to allow pokemon like gyarados to be water/flying.
However, it's also possible, flying was going to be removed and was going to become bird.

There's no solid information on the type.

firelovindocker

you would of thought they would of made one already....

Killer_Squirtle

Follow my lead!
one thing though, how come its flying and now wind type? I never got that.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
What would be the point of having a wind type?

I mean, I could understand how Electricity/Rock/Ice defeats Flying, but how would that work on Wind?

Moe_Joe

I lost my Moe_Joe!
What would be the point of having a wind type?

I mean, I could understand how Electricity/Rock/Ice defeats Flying, but how would that work on Wind?

Yeah, I don't see why there should be a wind or bird type. It would be completely pointless and would generally screw up the typing of a lot of pokemon.

Firemonkey1

Fire Champion
Why is it not called Air type? Then Flying types could have the advantage against Rock types. Just think of wheathering (not sure if that is spelled correctly) of rocks. There is also erosion and deposition. Air can do all of these to soil and rocks. Maybe Game Freak was thinking about birds being hit by debries (rocks) during a storm. I'm sorry if this is a little off topic. I do think that there should be pure Flying types. In fact, I think that there should be Flying and Air types (or Wind types, since I was talking about air as in wind) in the games. They might make pure Flying types in the 5th generation.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I don't know if you knew this, but Flying is weak to Rock. That weakness has been there since the very beginning and isn't changing.

Besides, how would Electricity and Ice affect Air?

Status
Not open for further replies.