• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Purrloin: Sweet or Sneaky? (705)

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I think it was meant to be a trick on wording by the writers.

Definitely. They're choosing their words carefully in order to make people assume the wrong thing without directly lying. There's nothing in that piece of dialogue that specifically states firing or permanent removal from the group, it's all just "he's not here". It's up to the viewer to decide whether they hear "well, he's not part of the team anymore, so screw him" or "he's elsewhere working on another part of the plan, so we'll have to do this part on our own".

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
Watched this episode subbed and ... it was okay. One misunderstading I have to clear (because I need to ofc) is that Iris didn't say catching Choroneko would help in her goal of becoming a Dragon Master but she said; "I, Dragon Master, Iris am going to get you". So she was referring to herself, her (wishful) title and not her goal. And now that we have that out of the way, it's time to review this episode splitting it on good points and bad points.

Good points (+)

+ Meowth. Do I even need to say anything? His interactions and expressions were still njoyable but not as much as in the previous episode at the start of the Meowth arc. Nonetheless, it's nice to have Meowth with twerps - it's a nice change of pace. I also loved the scene when Meowth threw himself in front of Iris, nice running gag you got yourselves there writers. :p

+ The twist at the end. @LOL.

+ Dento being distrustful towards Choroneko. It does suck that we didn't get to see the flashback (and I'll get more into it later) but it was neat seeing a character like Dento not trust something or someone. I was happy to see that something from his childhood was actually influencing his views on Pokémon. There was no IFS or BUTS, there was nothing. He absolutely didn't trust that mischievous feline and I'm glad he showed that side of his.

+ Do the short Team Rocket sequences count? Because if they do, they totally stole the episode for me. Since we already know of the one-hour special, I'm looking forward to seeing what this leads up too. Also, am I the only one who found James' yelling at the end of the episode utterly hilarious? XD

Bad points (-)

- Mijumaru. That little otter had absolutely nothing to do in this episode. The rivalry between him and Meowth, was there even any rivalry? I just couldn't feel it, the episode focused too little on Mijumaru. What was the point of including Mijumaru when the writers weren't going to focus on him as much as they did on Meowth. And to be honest, his fall in love scene seemed completely random. At least in Meowth's case we all saw it coming, if it weren't for the preview - I doubt anyone would think of Mijumaru falling for Choroneko.

- The plot. Cliché, overused, dull ... meh.

- Mischa. She's just another one of those characters. I don't care about her. The history between her and Choroneko was just so obvious. <.<

- No Dento flashback. Yes, because as much as I loved seeing distrustful Dento, there was no flashback! I also believe Dento wasn't used to his full potential in this episode, they could have done so much with him.

Overall, this episode really had potential. I definitely think that the episode should have revolved around Choroneko turning out a good Pokémon who was just trying to prank the twerps (no Mischa), with the flashback from Dento and ultimately with the satisfying conclusion of Dento getting the cat at the end of the episode. But nope, writers have once again proven they suck at writing and that fandom should do that for them. I don't hate this episode, I really don't. But it just didn't live up to my expectations and it was wasted potential. I really believe that it could have been handled much better, but what are you gonna do?

I also don't know what to think about the Rockets anymore. The short dialogue between Jessie and James implied that Meowth was actually fired. What the hell? o.o

Last edited:

CupidKirby

Overall, this episode really had potential. I definitely think that the episode should have revolved around Choroneko turning out a good Pokémon who was just trying to prank the twerps (no Mischa), with the flashback from Dento and ultimately with the satisfying conclusion of Dento getting the cat at the end of the episode. But nope, writers have once again proven they suck at writing and that fandom should do that for them. I don't hate this episode, I really don't. But it just didn't live up to my expectations and it was wasted potential. I really believe that it could have been handled much better, but what are you gonna do?

The reason that what you wanted didn't occur isn't that the writers are bad or anything. This episode wasn't meant to be a capture so it didn't seem as good.

Anyway, I found this an okay episode. The music that was playing during the suspenseful quicksand scene really helped keep the excitement up. I also found the parts with Purrloin asking the Tranquill for help and his flashback pretty touching. But yeah, random COTD girl was random.

My favorite scene? Defintely the: "That cute tail..." "...looks like the devil's" exchange. And Ash agreeing to the comment of Purrloin being a male as 'bad taste'.

Last edited:

ShadowSnivy

The Autumn Gust.
I enjoyed this episode quite well if I do say so myself. The plot was well, alright, and Meowth and Oshawott's reaction to Purrloin being Male at the end made me giggle. I liked this episode.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'm not sure how I felt about the whole "Meowth and Oshawott falling in love with a male Purrloin" thing. I had always wanted to see two male Pokemon together, but this episode didn't do it justice. I think the part that made it creepy was the fact that neither Meowth nor Oshawott were able to identify Purrloin's gender from the start. You'd think that Pokemon would know stuff like this, but apparently they don't? It's really weird. Still, I'm glad that the writers had a little fun with it, as it was something different. But apart from the [homosexual] love triangle, I thought this episode was standard filler.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
The twist at the end was just awesome... Why didn't Meowth or Oshawott tell that Purrloin was a male. They should have just felt that

Sparkleo

Low on power...
The twist at the end was just awesome... Why didn't Meowth or Oshawott tell that Purrloin was a male. They should have just felt that

Probably the same way that we were shocked that Lopunny and Gardevoir lines (and also the Goth line) are male as well as female.

I honestly thought they would change "Purrloin is a male" to "Purrloin's already got a mate".

Last edited:

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
The first real disability reference AND a possible GAY reference!! FTW!

Azureth

Great. Another thieving pokemon.

Looks kind of recycled from Emolga. They've done this plot plenty of times in the past, but twice in the same season? Though it is a nice that one of the humans is genre savvy about it for once.

Hm. Have you ever noticed Meowth falls in love with pretty much every cat pokemon he comes across?

Purrloin us walking on 2 legs. It should talk, too. :p

I wonder if Iris almost catching Meowth is going to be a running gag, now.

Shouldn't Excadrill's grip cut the rope before it gave way on its own? :p

The hell? Shouldn't Meowth have been able to tell that Purrloin was a guy from the start?

Asrialys

Great. Another thieving pokemon.

Looks kind of recycled from Emolga.
I found it additionally amusing that it was Iris who wanted to catch it. She likes problem Pokemon.

The hell? Shouldn't Meowth have been able to tell that Purrloin was a guy from the start?
And it was standing on its hind legs a lot of the time. Shouldn't it have been easier to tell? :p

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
This is the second episode in the Meowth arc. I might be biased, but I love it. This episode is the annual “Meowth falls in love” episode, which can’t be done in serious mode. I missed Meowth’s dialogue so much: he even let out an “oy, vey” and some alliteration! I know everyone else hates that sort of thing, but I don’t. It is nice that the group realizes how much of a sweet talker Meowth is, since the previous episode they were absolutely oblivious to it.

Iris, for the second time in a row, goes against her own advice and tries to catch a Pokémon without weakening it. Too bad no one chided her about it the same way she chided Ash. Also, why does she seem to think that being a dragon master in training will make it easy to train Purrloin to be nicer? I find it ridicules that being able to train dragons could make one train any other type of Pokémon really easy.

It was fun watching Cilan’s hatred of Purrloin in this episode and I hope we learn about the reason one day. Ash and Iris should have been madder at Cilan for not helping Purrloin rescue his friend. Even though he was right in believing it was a trap, his hatred for the Purrloin species and refusal to help could have meant that the trapped Pokémon be in more trouble. Ash loves helping people and Pokémon, so he should have been upset at Cilan for giving the cold shoulder because of his prejudice.

Once again the Pokémon anime shows us the problem with using too much CGI: that quick sand looked terrible. Is it too hard to draw the quicksand? Speaking of that scene, how could Exadrill pull the rope without slicing it in half? Its hands are machetes!

While funny, I don’t like the whole “Purrloin is a dude” reveal. That thing is so sneaky that it pretends to be a girl, and isn’t bothered by it at all? I can understand Meowth and Oshawott being confused, as Purrloin has no gender differences and people in real life get confused about sex based on appearance. Purrloin is such a manipulator that two guys fighting over him and trying to date him doesn’t bother him at all?

Finally, Jessie and James’ scenes bored me, but the good news is that James didn’t accidently mispronounce any words (I don’t care much, but others might). Its nice that James shows concern over Meowth, probably the first time this saga.

Overall, this was a fun episode. I’ll cherish this episode like I did the last and will the next.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I had captions on, and apparently Cilan was supposed to say "C'est la vie" before the group left for the cave.

But I really liked the episode. The end almost made me think Oshawott and Meowth were gay.

Also, why does she seem to think that being a dragon master in training will make it easy to train Purrloin to be nicer? I find it ridicules that being able to train dragons could make one train any other type of Pokémon really easy.

Dragons are harder to train than Dark Types like Purrloin.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I'm shocked the ending made it past the censors. There is no doubt in my mind 4Kids would of cut the end out or skipped the ep all together. I found it hilarious :)

Azureth

I found it additionally amusing that it was Iris who wanted to catch it. She likes problem Pokemon.

And it was standing on its hind legs a lot of the time. Shouldn't it have been easier to tell? :p

Well, we don't even know if pokemon have sex organs. Remember that the only confirmed method of an egg being made is Arceus making one with the power of Google Images. ;)

AmericanPi

Write on
I'm shocked the ending made it past the censors. There is no doubt in my mind 4Kids would of cut the end out or skipped the ep all together. I found it hilarious :)

LOL.

"Um... Purrloin's a guy."

"A DUDE???????"

That was definitely the best part about this cute little episode. Yeah, it was a filler, but I loved it because it featured one of my favorite Unova Pokemon. Meowth was as awesome as ever, Oshawott was cute, and Cilan... I just hope we eventually learn why he hates Purrloin. Y U NO LIKE CUTE KITTY, CILAN? :(

Of course, another reason why I enjoyed this episode was because I got to laugh at the sight of a non-shiny Purrloin. Being the owner of a shiny Liepard, I have a tendency to point my finger and laugh at any non-shiny Purrloin or Liepard fufufu. >:)