• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pursuing A Lofty Goal (586)

Littlemyuu

I loved the end when Staravia evolved into my favorite bird Pokemon ^^
but this kind of episodes is always the same =p

STICKTOPIA

Wonder if we'll get to see a Staraptor/Mamoswine battle in the future?
i doubt it's gonna happen. if u mean a different mamoswine against ash's staraptor or a different staraptor against dawn's mamoswine then yea. the only way i can see it happening is in the grand festival and pokemon league.

Torpoleon

I LOVED this episode. It was nice to see Staravia finally evolve! Paul was right, it took long enough. The Heroes of Hoenn music really fit in excellent! Ash's Staraptor sounds just like Barry's and Reggie's, or at least similar.

Dattebayo

Banned
I never knew there were other pokemon sports that isn't like the one from the fighting arena episode from the first season. Seeing Skarmory there just yet again made me rethink my team for HG once it comes out. It took 2 or 3 for Ash's Staravia to finally evolve, and now I know how Staraptor uses close combat.

FlameRose

That was...

EPIC.

Beautiful animation. Iwane did this one, right?

Nice to see Paul not being THAT big of a jerk. This seemed to show more of his anti-social side...And I loved his face when he and Ash both yelled "GET THAT RING!"

Is it just me, or did the guy with the Dragonite have an Australian Accent? Nice to see Honchkrow's still strong, BTW.

Staraptor vs. Honchkrow=greatest aerial battle ever. I loved the "Birds eye view"s we got, and the way Staraptor knocked the ring onto the goal with his wing was win.

All in all, EXCELLENT episode.

klubkj

Paul was very mean to Honchkrow but I'm glad Staravia evolved

Now we have to wait to watch Chimchar evolving...

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
Great episode. I like how Ash has to bother Paul whenever they meet. Paul doesn't want to talk to you Ash; get over it!

I really expected James to get further in the contest, but he didn't really do much. He didn't give Yanmega a single command and he was just acting foolish.

The final battle was really great. Staraptor's hair flip was really funny and Close Combat was awesome.

I give this episode a 10/10

Linkdarkside

yeah the episode was very good,loved the music.

i also like Ash comment about Staly evolving in too Staravia and then in too a powerfull Staraptor.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
It was a pretty good episode, the battle between Ash and Paul was great. Honchkrow should have destroyed Ash though.

By the way, did anyone else notice the mistakes that were made. I only noticed two, which were;
-When Ash checks his Pokedex about Staraptor, and Staraptor stares down Honchkrow, you can see from behind that Staraptor has two left feet.
-When Staraptor uses Close Combat for the first time against Honchkrow, Brock says that Honchkrow's Dark typing makes it weak to Close Combat, when in fact it takes normal damage from Close Combat because of Honchkrow's Flying type.

My question during the ending of the episode; what happened to the credits? 0__o
In the Japanese version, there is this delay with the ending that sort of did the same for today's episode and the credits were absent!

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This episode was great. Cool to see a Dragon Pulse and a Night Slash as well as seeing Ash's Staravia evolve into Staraptor.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
This was a good episode. I love Iwane's style of animation!

I maybe in the minority but whenever Ash and Paul meet, I tend to take Paul's side over Ash because I'm like Swampert_trainer, Ash always bothers Paul when they meet but Paul doesn't wanna bother with him or his friends. But Ash and co. always has something to say. Even though Paul wasn't too hard on Honchcrow like he was with Chimchar, I felt bad for it. "A Pokemon is only as strong as the trainer who raises it." Keep that in mind Paul.

Plus, liked the Hoenn music they played,. Had me flashing back to the Pokeringer contest back in Hoenn which Ash's Taillow also evolved. Coincidence? Nope.

Overall, 9/10. I, too have a Staraptor with a Brave Bird/Close Combat combo even though they're both risky moves.

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
Another thrilling episode which was worth waiting for!

But I also didn't like how Ash won it again, and how his bird Pokemon evolved again because of it. It just seemed like a poor excuse to have Ash beat Paul at something. I also thought Mamoswine eating all the food was lame, and it was weird how no one seemed to care.
I guess, Musashi does have a point here, but maybe the following explanation can serve as an excuse for the aspects that bothered you:
Considering how long it's been since the first PokéRinger competition, it's kind of understandable to rehash the plot. I bet that the memory of most of the "standard" fans isn't the freshest one anymore, so I guess they didn't even remember the Hoenn PokeRinger episode, or only vaguely if anything. Let me tell you that before I actually watched it, I had also been afraid that today's episode would turn out to be a mere repeat of the first PokeRinger competition. But, quite frankly, the writers did a very good job to surprise me, or in Brock's words (after Ash had won the competition) "Leave it to Ash to surprise you". Of course, the motif (Ash's Flying-type being on the edge of defeat, but finally winning due to its fighting spirit and Ash's encouraging words) was somewhat rehashed, but we mustn't deny either, but acknowledge that the writers added some nice extras which were a welcome change compared to the first competition, for example:
1.) James failed miserably this time which came as a complete surprise to me. Guys, I tell you I'm really delighted by how credibly the writers handled him this time. It was just like in real life , because every master,and I guess James is really a master when it comes to PokeRinger, can have his or her bad day when everything's just doomed to go wrong. We all know such situations. Well done!
But one the other hand, I was so deeply disappointed about his elimination in the very first round, as I did love his burning passion. He's such a skilled and determined contestant and would have deserved to come in third at least. It must be so damn humiliating to lose to such a cheeky brat!! :saiyan: Yeah James I could really feel your pain. It was so terribly humiliating. But well, your superior reaction and your answer that this defeat would make you a better fighter the next time was excellent! A fantastic reaction! You've earned my full respect, James!
I just don't know how to describe it: One the one hand, I was really pleased that James was treated differently than last time, but on the other hand exactly this is what makes me go nuts because he failed THAT miserably...if he had at least lost to this rocker Grovo who apparently won the last competitions, that would have been tolerable... I can't help it, but I just don't know what to make of this result...shocking and surprising alike.

2.) Ash faced his biggest rival so far in the final. Last time it was James he had to battle against.
Yeah it was so great that Staravia finally(!!) (ok, I've got to admit that Paul has a point here) evolved. Staraptor really looks awesome, I even dare say awe-inspiring! And it was about time that Ash got his first fully evolved Sinnoh Pokemon!I just hope we'll see it more often now.

The battle between Honchkrow and Staravia/ Staraptor was thrilling, particularly after the evolution. ok, one point of criticism: Maybe I raised my hopes too high, but I did expect Staraptor to finish off Honchkrow with ease after it had evolved.:-/ How long will Paul's dominance go on? It's really hard to put up with.

Yes, today's episode reminded us of what Pokemon is mainly about, namely Ash experiencing exciting adventures, being the hero, triumphing over his opponents and thus being an example for us and our lives at the same time.

Despite some minor mistakes mentioned above
7.5 out of 10 points

milenadrg

Episode was soo cool, one of the best Sinnoh episodes. The battle between Staraptor and Honchrow was awesome! Man, they should make that Yanmega a little bit stronger in my opinion... It was nice to see Paul again. Cute little Staravia finally evoloved into Staraptor, I am going to miss Staravia. But, that Staraptor is really cool, I must say...

~AussieWonder~

Ahh what a brilliant episode. It was everything I thought it would be. Damn that stereotype Aussie accent on Provo (btw, most of us DON'T sound like that), still it was worth a good laugh. LOVED seeing Dragonite in action (notwithstanding its loss), seeing Dragon Pulse and Dragon Rush again was marvelous. And of course to top it all off, seeing Staravia evolve and kick Honchkrow *** (literally) was truly magnificent. One of the best eps this series.

STICKTOPIA

Paul said that Honchkrow lost b/c its reaction was too slow. I can see he wants his pokemon to react fast b/c i remember him saying that to torterra too(Aiding the Enemy)