• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PUSA takes over licensing from 4Kids

Chris

Old Coot
CyberCubed said:
You guys do realize that Pokemon USA is owned by Nintendo? Pokemon USA won't allow uncut DVDs unless Nintendo says so.
Nintendo's not as censor heavy as they were back during the age of Super Nintendo. o_O Not to mention, Pokémon doesn't have anything offensive that gets cut out. 4Kids just tends to snip away for time or, in the case of Legend of Thunder, no reason at all.

CyberCubed said:
That, and Viz will probably continue to hold the license to release Pokemon on DVD.
Does Viz even release the AG DVDs? I don't remember seeing their logo on them.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
^ Icy Cyndaquil, Where do you get the idea that Nintendo wants the Japanese version on DVD?

Nintendo themselves change all the names of the main characters and Pokemon for a reason, they're not going to turn around and give bilingual DVDs for the 10% of the actual Pokemon audience that wants it. What 10 year old kid who watches Pokemon on TV do you know that's interested in seeing Pokemon in Japanese?

Sure, there's a much better chance now than when 4kids was at the helm, but for those of you who think we'll magically get DVDs with the Japanese version on it are frankly asking for too much.

Nintendo and 4kids were/are in bed together. The entire english version of Pokemon will probably remain near identical to what 4kids and Viz started for the last 8 years.

Edward Elric said:
Nintendo's not as censor heavy as they were back during the age of Super Nintendo. o_O Not to mention, Pokémon doesn't have anything offensive that gets cut out. 4Kids just tends to snip away for time or, in the case of Legend of Thunder, no reason at all.

And there will still be time cuts, because KidsWb requests those. The time cuts are done for a reason, not just because 4kids is bored. It's all because of KidsWb wanted to fit in more commercials.

Does Viz even release the AG DVDs? I don't remember seeing their logo on them.

Yes, I have all the Pokemon Advance DVDs released so far, and Viz is the one putting them out.

Chris

Old Coot
CyberCubed said:
Nintendo themselves change all the names of the main characters and Pokemon for a reason, they're not going to turn around and give bilingual DVDs for the 10% of the actual Pokemon audience that wants it. What 10 year old kid who watches Pokemon on TV do you know that's interested in seeing Pokemon in Japanese?
Uh, they change the names on the games because it's easier for kids to pronounce English names. Plus you can't switch languages on the games. :p Not like DVDs.

CyberCubed said:
Nintendo and 4kids were/are in bed together. The entire english version of Pokemon will probably remain near identical to what 4kids and Viz started for the last 8 years.
Just about the ONLY things Nintendo and 4Kids agreed on were the main character names Ash Ketchum, Gary Oak and May. o_O Every other important character that appears in the games (minus the whole LoT chaos) is named by Nintendo, whereas 4Kids is left up to think of all the other names, excluding the Pokémon.

If Nintendo actually had a major involvement with the anime, we wouldn't see all the Trainer's Choice messups or calling Pokémon by the wrong names, or misspelling of certain Pokémon names. They'd actually know what they were doing with a show they've been dubbing for eight years.

And there will still be time cuts, because KidsWb requests those. The time cuts are done for a reason, not just because 4kids is bored. It's all because of KidsWb wanted to fit in more commercials.
Again. Legend of Thunder. >_> ENTIRE segments cut for absolutely no reason. As far as I'm aware, Europe doesn't have the massive amount of commercial breaks the KidsWB has. Not to mention, Europe didn't have the badge case edits until LATER.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Edward Elric said:
Uh, they change the names on the games because it's easier for kids to pronounce English names. Plus you can't switch languages on the games. :p Not like DVDs.

True enough, but I don't see it likely at this point of time.

Just about the ONLY things Nintendo and 4Kids agreed on were the main character names Ash Ketchum, Gary Oak and May. o_O

4kids chose the names "May" and "Gary?" I always thought Nintendo chose those names since they're game characters.

Chris

Old Coot
What I meant was that they both chose to agree to use them when Nintendo was the one who made the names. >_> Remember that all three names appear in the games. In the US, the anime series came before the games. ;P

Heracross

Custom User Title
CyberCubed said:
Hopefully Nintendo realizes better than 4Kids that those of us who've been fans from the beginning are now seven years older and that such things are indeed in demand.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Heracross said:
Hopefully Nintendo realizes better than 4Kids that those of us who've been fans from the beginning are now seven years older and that such things are indeed in demand.
Which is why we should start a petition. If they see interest in Japanese DVD's of the previous seasons, that'd give them reason to make them. Unlike 4Kids who see Japanese DVD's as a threat to their dub sales.

Mamoru

Banned
Any petition started should be an actual written one. A big parcel sent by one person, which includes petitions people in several cities around the globe have collected and sent to that person (still in their original envelopes inside the parcel, to show that they're not faked), would be the best bet.

EDIT:
BREAKING NEWS

Anime News Network has confirmed it, and Mike Pollock has clarified his earlier statements to WPM in a conversation with me.

Anime News Network said:
posted on 2005-12-23 18:13:02

Pokemon USA takes Over Licensing, 4Kids not Involved in Next SeriesAs of January 1st, Pokemon USA will take over all aspects of Pokemon licensing from 4Kids. Since Pokemon USA was founded in 2001 licensing responsibilities were split between the two companies, but now all licensing will be handled by Pokemon USA.

In addition, ANN has learned that 4Kids will not be producing or distributing the English language version of the next Pokemon TV series to be released in North America, Battle Frontier.

No one from Pokemon USA was available to confirm how (or when) the next series will be produced and distributed.

Mike Pollock said:
ArchaicEternal (14:27:46): Apologies for bothering you Mike. Got a little question for you, if that's alright. I'm sure you've already been asked this several times already, but anyway....can you confirm or deny that 4Kids will continue to be responsible for the dubbing of Pokemon post-8th season, following the recent ending of their contract to handle the licensing of the franchise in the west?
Mike Pollock (14:29:03): Since I'm not a 4Kids employee, no one's told me anything. And even if they had, I wouldn't be able to discuss it do to my Non-Disclosure agreement.
Mike Pollock (14:30:17): Tho, if I had to guess, I'd expect there'd be a similar arrangement to Sonic X where ShoPro administers the rights, and 4Kids has the TV license.
ArchaicEternal (14:31:35): I was afraid you'd say something like that. Several people have been claiming you've made statements to that effect, but I had a feeling NDA's would prohibit you from disclosing such information. I'm going to have to crack some heads I see.

*Nods* I was wondering if such an arrangement might happen myself, though given that Pokemon USA recently put up a position vacant for an Animation Director, I'm not entirely certain about that.
Mike Pollock (14:32:23): I'm just an independent contractor. I show up and read a script.
ArchaicEternal (14:33:05): I see. Well, hopefully you'll be retained post 8th season, regardless of whom is now responsible for the dubbing.
Mike Pollock (14:33:38): Thanks. I quite agree.
ArchaicEternal (14:36:18): Do you mind if I quote this conversation (with your AIM name blocked out) on some forums, to rebut the claims being made about comments you've supposedly made?
Mike Pollock (14:36:31): Sure.
ArchaicEternal (14:36:35): Thanks.
Mike Pollock (14:37:39): The only other conversation I had was the first time I ever heard about the press release in question. I glanced at it and offered the same conjecture.
ArchaicEternal (14:37:57): Do you know who that was with?
Mike Pollock (14:38:57): PokeBeachWebsite
ArchaicEternal (14:40:36): Ah, so you did talk to Water Pokemon Master. Strange...I'd better look at his posts again. I could have sworn he had been one of the people claiming you'd said that 4Kids would continue the dubbing. Perhaps he misinterpreted your conjecture as a statement of fact.
Mike Pollock (14:40:50): Yes. But of course there's really no point in me talking about stuff of which I have no knowledge. It's purely guesswork on my part.
Mike Pollock (14:41:01): I have the whole convo archived. Allow me to share....
Mike Pollock (14:42:19): PokeBeachWebsite: Hey, I have a question
Mike Pollock: G'head
PokeBeachWebsite: 4Kids released a press release today saying something about PUSA taking over
PokeBeachWebsite: do you know anything about it?
PokeBeachWebsite: Is 4Kids not going to dub Pokemon anymore?
Mike Pollock: First time I
Mike Pollock: 'm hearing about it, but from the title of the release, it's licensing only. ADR is separate.
PokeBeachWebsite: Oh, you are reading it now?
Mike Pollock: yup
PokeBeachWebsite: Okay, so what exactly is changing?
Mike Pollock: The licensing. All the merchandising and such.
PokeBeachWebsite: What's an example of that
PokeBeachWebsite: I don't get it
Mike Pollock: Read the AP
PokeBeachWebsite: lol
Mike Pollock: Read the AP's take http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051223/4kids_entertainment_license.html?.v=1
Mike Pollock (14:42:35): Mike Pollock: When someone wants to make toys, bedding, clothing, they have to license the images. 4Kids handles that.
PokeBeachWebsite: Oh, so know PUSA will?
Mike Pollock: Yes. That's what the full release says. http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/051223/20051223005061.html?.v=1
PokeBeachWebsite: ahh, i see
PokeBeachWebsite: I was so freaked out
PokeBeachWebsite: My heart skipped a beat when I read the press release
Mike Pollock: Presumably PUSA would licensing the tv rights back to 4Kids.
Mike Pollock: Much the way 4Kids dubs Sonic X but ShoPro handles licensing.
PokeBeachWebsite: oic
PokeBeachWebsite: hmm
Mike Pollock: Keep in mind I'm not a 4Kids employee, so this is really none of my business
PokeBeachWebsite: You are just helping me to understand it
Mike Pollock: Glad to be of service.
PokeBeachWebsite: hehe
PokeBeachWebsite: Hey, have you guys started dubbing the Mew/Lucario movie?
Mike Pollock: Non Disclosure Agreement
PokeBeachWebsite: What's that?
Mike Pollock: I can't talk about stuff that hasn't been released. It's in my contract.
PokeBeachWebsite: oic
PokeBeachWebsite: ok :)
Mike Pollock: Read about licensing. We have to go pick up dinner. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licensing#Intellectual_property
PokeBeachWebsite: ok
Mike Pollock: more later. Bye for now!
PokeBeachWebsite: ttyl, thank you for clearing that stuff up for me. Now I feel better
Mike Pollock: sure

Mike Pollock (14:44:33): ANd that's why I wrote http://snipurl.com/MikeMessage to avoid these chat that get misinterpreted. That's how I get into trouble.
Mike Pollock (14:45:25): Actually the reaction to an earlier unrelated incident, but I really should listen to my own advice.

Last edited:

#1 Poke Fan

I really don't see a problem with PUSA taking over, as long as Pokemon remains good;)

Chris

Old Coot
No credible source was given to ANN's remarks and Mike's left in the dark about what's going on.

Thriller

Its almost time
Good Lord, first 4Kids will stop it, now they will continue it, now they will stop. Can someone just post a yes or no answer to the question: IS 4KIDS CONTINUING TO DUB THE SHOW!??

Chris

Old Coot
No one knows. 4Kids hasn't said anything, PUSA hasn't said anything either. Mike's in the dark about it since he's not a 4Kids exclusive voice actor and he can't say anything even if he did know without 4Kids making any announcement. ANN gives no source of this bit of news, so we can't jump to conclusions.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
*Starts plucking petals off random flower*
They dub
They dub not
They dub
They dub not

This is getting crazy. Why can't they just explain what all is going on?

Chris

Old Coot
This shouldn't be a suprise. Remember how everyone was left in the dark about 4Kids being the ones providing their voice actors from Sonic X for Shadow the Hedgehog and beyond until Ryan Drummond actually called up Sega and found out he was no longer Sonic?

4Kids has a habbit of keeping everything in the dark until the last minute. Look at the One Piece opening's last minute change.

MugenKeiji

THERE'S NO $50 HERE!
Oh fiddlesticks. Well it was nice to believe the myth for a while.

*Shakes fist at a picture of Kahn*
Damn you and your NDAs, at least Nintendo's NDA's are KEY to its success *cough*Revolution*cough*! You shouldn't be "playing ninja" for making CRAP!

Pinky the Mew

I am a master!
Well, this is an EARLY development in the takeover. They are still going through all the paperwork necessary to complete the ownership which may take a few months. They give answers based on their current developments. As soon as they finish something they have answers to answers. So they have no choice but to leave us in the dark for now at least.

C

+Chaos Blade+

Hmm...this is becoming quite the predicament here. If PUSA nor 4Kids are ascertaining that they get the dub rights for now, we won't be seeing the next season until next summer.

I'm rooting for PUSA -- imagine they start dubbing the classics onward and make it uncut, etc. Well, we'll find out next year -- er...6 days.

+Chaos Blade+

Slypher

Doesn't this mean that PUSA holds the right to everything 4kids used to have, including the show, if that's true then 4kids not dubbing Pokemon might be true, not that I care, the show was dubbed good to begin with, only with people complaining about useless things and consider it a bad dub is what ****** me off. The good news is that no matter who dubs it, 4kids just lost most of their revenues, that and the fact that 4kids is dropping in the markets along with the possibility of FOX rejecting more years of 4kidsTV because of bad ratings, the end of 4kids is a major possibility.

Just to note, what makes you all assume for certain that 4kids will still dub it? Becauses using the previous VA does not mean the same people will also dub it, it's a thing called a VA studio. An official confirmation will help.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Edward Elric said:

Actually, you can switch languages, both written and spoken, on some games, but they're extremely rare. Still.... such a feature is present in Smash Bros. Melee, the system set-up for the Nintendo DS, and some others. This, along with the fact that the Japanese versions of the Pokemon anime videos are available to watch in Pokemon Channel, and I think I heard somewhere that Nintendo is going to try for worldwide releases in the next generation, it's safe to assume that Nintendo is by no means uncomfortable with making things bilingual.