• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Question about PC controllers

Wishmaker Latias

All Bridges Burned, All Lessons Learned
So the time when my old one started to act up finally came. It still works but it randomly make movement inputs on its own leading to frustration.
I had a Logitech Dual Action USB which is now like 5 years past its warranty.

I don't know whether I found the right place to ask about it here (delete or move it if it does not belong here), I think I'm gonna go buy a new one, but I don't know an awful lot about them.

I imagine Xbox controllers wouldn't need lots of setting up whenever playing a new game, no joy2key or any other software needed to map keyboard inputs, as judging from the controls help screens in many games Xbox controllers seem to have already predefined control schemes set up for them. So would that mean you can simply play without setting up for 40 minutes in another program?
And what would make an Xbox controller? Does it have to be made specifically by Microsoft? I've seen some brands sell controllers for more than what seemed to be Xbox controllers were priced. Would be unreasonable to assume they're asking for such a high price without the same benefits and maybe more.

Even though I personally am more used to a PS2 type of controller, I wouldn't mind a slightly different layout as long as it is kind of like an archetype of a controller.
I'd really like some advice on what I should get, I don't want to spend an awful lot of money on a controller, but even 50-55 euro would be okay as long as it is worth it.

And is wireless better than wired? I would remove a wired controller every time I wouldn't be at my computer, and I don't know if that has a very high risk of burning through the ports, or am I just paranoid.
I'm using windows 7 ultimate if that helps.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Buy an Xbox controller, go for wired.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Many games that have been released in the last 10 years are set up for Xbox controllers. Most of the time it's plug and play just like you had a console instead of your PC. Some games may require a controller set up via a in game menu or that games setup app, but then it's like setting Jump to X.

I personally Use an Official Wired Xbox 360 pad, which I've had for just over 5 years, but I've been using wired Xbox 360 pads for over 10 years. The first pad I've got was borrowed by my brother some time ago, and should still be working. There are Wireless 360 controllers, but they need Dongle to work on PC, which I've read doesn't work right over time. Most of the time my 360 pads have been plugged in to the PC or a Xbox 360.

As for operating system? You're good, Windows 7 knows what a 360 controller is.

Djura

99% chance to hit
The DualShock 4 works on Windows, but it's not an XInput controller. It does, however, have native support on Steam.

Wishmaker Latias

All Bridges Burned, All Lessons Learned
Thanks for the replies.
I got a wired 360 controller.
Well you can set up pretty much anything to serve as a controller with some apps, but exactly how good it is going to perform is up for debate.
I personally experienced stuff like mouse movement emulation acting very wonky(not to mention up and down didn't work at all) and some button presses not registering at all for some games.