• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Question: which is considered better? MPEG-4 or AVI?

Which is better/do you prefer?

• MPEG-4

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • AVI

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Cobalt_Latios

Recently, I've been faced with a minor dilemma (relax, I'll be getting to the point of this thread soon enough). That is, I'm beginning to run out a hard disk space due to the fact that I will convert most videos I have on my computer for use on my iPod. Problem is, since converting them causes the program to create a duplicate in the correct format, I have duplicate's of most of my videos.

Now, if I had a job, I could simply this entire scenario simply by buying a larger hard drive. Now, since that option is temporarily (hopefully) unavailable, I'm somewhat forced to make the decision of choosing between these two formats. I personally already know some uses for either format, which include the fact that one is Apple based and the other is Microsoft based (of course, I'm getting the impression that I'll badly mistaken there). Other than that, well I pretty much only know that MPEG-4 is what Quicktime will use and that AVI will work on anything NOT called Quicktime.

So, I would like not only a vote on which you find is better, but also some facts that would help me to decide which would work better in various cases. You don't necessarily have to, but it would make me "work" a lot easier.

~C_L~

blueparukia

The Sexy Nerd
I prefer AVIs, cause they play on my DVD player. My PC can barely handle playing anything, so I have to convert to MP4 (for PSP), DPG (for DS), or to whatever format my iPod takes. However, since most of the movies I download are in avi, I just copy them to my SD card, plug it into my DVD player and go, it is less work for me to have them in AVI. AVI will also play on many more players, as you say, and therefore its my choice.

Shedinja_Master

Shedinja Master
I'll only use .avi if its compressed enough. otherwise they're just too big. I had an .avi that went for 1 minute and it was 250MB

Cobalt_Latios

I prefer AVIs, cause they play on my DVD player. My PC can barely handle playing anything, so I have to convert to MP4 (for PSP), DPG (for DS), or to whatever format my iPod takes. However, since most of the movies I download are in avi, I just copy them to my SD card, plug it into my DVD player and go, it is less work for me to have them in AVI. AVI will also play on many more players, as you say, and therefore its my choice.

Just a question, how the hell do you play videos on your DS in the first place? I'm not even sure there is a video player. Guess I'll have to google that thing next...

... And you can plug an SD card into a DVD player? You gotta tell me how to do that. I've never known that such a DVD player even existed (and no, it isn't being sarcastic, I really do not know.). Though, DVD's are a heck of a lot cheaper.

So, I guess it's really up to preference. Well, I guess I might as well stay with AVI, even though I already have the majority of my videos converted.

Well, I was expected slightly more replies. Oh well.

BTW, Latios, I've known about DivX's quality and such, but is the compression better than AVI/MPEG4 or are the files bigger? I'm tried DivX, but it kept my DVD's from being burned whenever I tried using it. And, is MKV convertable into AVI or MPEG4? And what the heck is OGM?

~C_L~