• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Question

DeoxysTrainer

Veteran Trainer
In the old Kanto adventures,why was the episode with Brock and Jynx banned?Wat did he do???

#1 Poke Fan

I thought it was becase it was to sexual or something. Not to sure.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
DeoxysTrainer said:
In the old Kanto adventures,why was the episode with Brock and Jynx banned?Wat did he do???

Um, the episode you're talking about is "The Ice Cave" from Johto, not Kanto.

It was banned because Jynx is a racist stereotype.

Poké_Master

Indigo Champion
CyberCubed said:
Um, the episode you're talking about is "The Ice Cave" from Johto, not Kanto.

It was banned because Jynx is a racist stereotype.

It's true. Many people thought it was a racist stereotype because of its black face. They banned that episode and then the next time Jynx was seen (The Pacifidlog Contest episodes), it had a purple face.

G

Geki

It was banned for SARS since it was going around at the time. Also, I think there was something like Brock kissing Jynx or something like that, and hypothermia. It also was doomed because of the whole Jynx representing a black women thing.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Geki said:
It was banned for SARS since it was going around at the time. Also, I think there was something like Brock kissing Jynx or something like that, and hypothermia. It also was doomed because of the whole Jynx representing a black women thing.
No, it was banned ONLY because Jynx is considered to be a racial stereotype.

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
I wish people would stop spreading that stupid "it was banned because of SARS" rumor around. There's absolutely NOTHING in the episode that's even REMOTELY related to the virus. Jeez.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
DeoxysTrainer said:
LoL!WAT!Thats stupid!

No it isn't. Rougela's original character design was a potentially offensive stereotype of an African-American woman, with jet-black skin and big red lips. It went unnoticed for a while until a concerned parent named Carole B. Weatherford wrote to Nintendo addressing the issue. Thus, Nintendo changed Rougela's skin color to purple in the video games starting with "Pokémon Gold" and "Pokémon Silver", but the anime didn't follow suit until just last year, meaning that scenes featuring Rougela prior to that still featured her original black-skinned character design. Those scenes were cut for American broadcasts, and "The Cave of Ice" featured her so prominently that it had to be banned.

It doesn't surprise me that you think it's stupid - you haven't studied the history of animation the way I have. These kinds of stereotypes were commonplace in animated cartoons as far back as the silent era of the 1910s and 1920s. It stems from the old minstrel shows, in which black characters were portrayed by white actors in blackface. In today's exceedingly PC environment, such images are no longer tolerated as humorous. Which isn't to say that they should be wiped clean from America's history, but it's important to remember the context of these stereotypes - back then, standards and practices for motion pictures and the like were much more relaxed in terms of ethnic and racial profiling.

I hope I've instilled you with at least an ounce of information. You have no idea how angry I get when people display such utter ignorance regarding this whole Rougela issue.

RaikousThunder

Poison Tail!!
I dont really get the whole Jynx thing. I never looked at her as a Black woman. I looked at her as a pokemon. I dont much like Jynx so it doesnt matter to me much. I do kinda like the change from black to purple though. Its not like Jynx totally looked like a black woman. If she looked less human like would it have not been such a big deal? No Africans that ive seen have actualy black skin, they are light brown to a very dark brown. Her hair is also nothing like an Africans hair, bright golden yellow hair. She has big red lips cause shes known for kissing her opponents and knocking them into dreamland. People just look into these things way too much. Like Fire Blast being a sign of the devil or some schtick like that. Its just a tv show, there are a lot worse ones out there. But like i said it doesnt bother me if anything happens to Jynx. If i got banned from everything i wouldnt mind since i cant stand it. I did want to see the Ice Cave ep though, even it was just a filler.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
When the G/S/C sprite for Jynx was releasted I thought Jynx had been purple all along, just badly shaded. After all, several pokemons colors looked off because of Gamefreak having limited access to detailed color. I saw the anime though and then realized it really was black, not just plum

Flame Haze SnS

Yin-Yang
Wasn't there another Jinx episode waaay back to Orange Island with Lorelei (one of elite four)? Do that Jinx look different than Jinx in Pacifilog(sp) Island?

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Judai Yuki said:
But it's just a pokemon come on<.<

I had a feeling I'd get a reply like that.

Yeah, sure, it's just a Pokémon. And Bosko was just a little cartoon boy. And "Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs" was just a retelling of the traditional "Snow White" story. But the fact remains that they were stereotypical portrayals of black people that are deemed offensive in today's society and can't be shown the way they were. You don't have to like it, but it's the way the world works.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
I personally used to think Jynx's face was actually a hole-a 'void' as I heard it once called-where all that was visible was her lips and eyes. I didn't think she was actually black for a long time.

I really wonder why the Pokemon creators would risk getting themselves into this kind of mess. I guess they didn't think Pokemon would be a worldwide phenomenon when they made the first batch of Pokemon, therefore thinking they were safe. Or maybe they didn't think it was a big deal in the first place.

MaskedManAbsolkid

intergalactic platypus said:
Jynx is pretty much banned all over the US
Is that true? I know PCNY don't have Jynx models, and that the Pacifidilog ep will air, but I didn't know that. Is Cybercubed right about it not being banned in the US? It's not banned here in the UK.